Don't Brits like Roll Calls?

BlueVinney

We'd like to link up with others who will also be going on our next cruise so we can organise some excursions where we have a common interest. So I headed to the P&O Roll Call forum but there are few posts and none for our cruise.

Other cruise lines, where there is a higher proportion of N American passengers, seem to have enthusiastic participation just for that purpose. For instance, our other cruise (with a US line), has over 30 pages of passengers linking up. So can anyone suggest another forum we can join to make the same connections?

Thanks for your help.

I agree. I have a look at the roll calls on the cruises that we are going on and just often ask a question. It's nice to see what people are planning on doing. But personally we generally keep with our family and don't join up with other groups but its nice to see hat other people do.

Problem is we've only just started researching ports and leave on Adonia in less than a week! Problems of not squeezing all projects into time available!

So, hoped I could hop onto an existing thread. However, didn't think it would help as there are only 6 Adonia Roll Calls covering all of 2014 & 2015. Of those, 4 have no replies, one has 1 reply and one has 7 replies. QED.

As I mentioned earlier, the cruise we are going on later already has 32 pages of correspondence with 624 replies.

My cruise on Azura going in four days time has 3 pages and lots of helpful people.; someone has also organised a get together on our first day at sea. I do think, having been some years ago with RCCI, that Americans like to band together and have lots of 'buddies' before they go.

I do hope you enjoy your cruise on P and O, especially the cheaper drinks and gratuities compared to US and dollar ships.

Problem is we've only just started researching ports and leave on Adonia in less than a week! Problems of not squeezing all projects into time available!

So, hoped I could hop onto an existing thread. However, didn't think it would help as there are only 6 Adonia Roll Calls covering all of 2014 & 2015. Of those, 4 have no replies, one has 1 reply and one has 7 replies. QED.

As I mentioned earlier, the cruise we are going on later already has 32 pages of correspondence with 624 replies.

Adonia is adults only with quite a high age profile who maybe are not really into roll calls or info sharing, or even bothering with cruise forums.

We've subscribed to various roll calls and certainly when we're cruising on a US line, the roll call is much more active. We're sailing on Ruby Princess in September and so far there's 23 pages, with lots of meet-ups, tours, games etc. The P&O forum used to get more posts but maybe there's too many different forums around for people to choose from ?

American and Aussie cruisers seem to be really interested in arranging private tours, they love Cruise Critic and are keen to communicate before the cruise. On the other hand many Brits don't seem to bother and are happy just to do ship's excursion.

Edited by tartanexile81

I dont think us Brits do.

Ive been involved in roll calls for RCCL, HAL, Norweigan etc and the pages have run to over 50 and been a good source of info, a great way to club together for excursions and a nice way to "meet" people before the cruise.

Maybe its just the British way?!

Thanks for everyone's replies.

I'll try the other forums suggested by PopsiB, although it looks as though Brits are generally too laid back to organise much before leaving home.

We've been on Adonia before (amongst other P&O ships) and encountered the absence of Roll Calls. However, this time we've a lot less time to research our shore excursions so was hoping to gain the experience of others.

Thanks again to everyone who's helped.

I think one problem is that unlike, say, Celebrity, which will organise a special reception with drinks and canapés, P&O does not officially recognise roll calls. Sometimes a passenger will take it upon themselves to organise a get together but unless someone does it will not happen. P&O will not take the lead like Celebrity does.

I'll try the other forums suggested by PopsiB, although it looks as though Brits are generally too laid back to organise much before leaving home.

We've been on Adonia before (amongst other P&O ships) and encountered the absence of Roll Calls. However, this time we've a lot less time to research our shore excursions so was hoping to gain the experience of others.

I won't mention the names of the forums suggested by PopsiB, because the last time I did, my post was taken down and I got my knuckles wrapped in an email from the administrators!! However I have certainly tried the second one mentioned for roll calls and found it to be even less successful than this one.

louthebowler,

The P&O community forum hasn't existed for about 18 months now

Edited by tartanexile81

When we were on Eurodam in February we had a Meet n Greet in the Crows Nest :)

There were about 30 of us in attendance we saw some others from the group during the cruise but not on any organised trips.

HAL set up teas coffees and cookies and the Hotel Manager attended and he spoke to us on a few occasions during the cruise having remembered us from that meeting.

Hope you have some luck on the sites I mentioned. They both have Roll Call tabs but as others have mentioned I think the old "stiff upper lip" comes into play and people don't pre arrange many trips with others from their group.

Good Luck:)

As your time is so short have a look at http://www.whatsinport.com. Hopefully should help you.

we are sailing to norway next week there is about six people on the cruisecritic in november we go t/a on royal caribbean independence of the seas there is about 80 people on the roll call and plenty activitys

Edited by Bluerover

• 3 weeks later...

BlueVinney - I agree with your comments about lack of participation. I have enjoyed joining roll calls in the past - but usually other cruisers were American. I am probably one of the people who has started a roll call for the Adonia in 2015. Have you had your recent crusie on Adonia yet? Just enquiring and hoping I can encourage you to write a review! There are very few.

BlueVinney - I agree with your comments about lack of participation. I have enjoyed joining roll calls in the past - but usually other cruisers were American. I am probably one of the people who has started a roll call for the Adonia in 2015. Have you had your recent crusie on Adonia yet? Just enquiring and hoping I can encourage you to write a review! There are very few.

One problem is that in the US CC seems to be the main forum and as such everyone goes on CC. In this country there a number of different forums. For the last few years I have arranged forum meetings on the cruises we have been on. This started on the old P&O site. We have just come off Azura a week or so ago after doing a Back to Back. We had a roll call on here and in a number of other places. For the first cruise we had over 40 people turn up and for the second one there were about 25. The CC forum also was used by a group to organise a trip when we were in Cadiz. So it can be done.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app