Buttering up room steward(s) at the beginning of the cruise

lisacb12

Money talks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Exactly. I plan on sticking $20 into the hand of whoever it is that will be my room steward for the week the day I step onto the ship. Plus they have families too. Money always comes in handy:p

I always tip the room steward up front. The service goes up noticeably.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

That's pure speculation. You have no idea how that individual would perform in that "alternate" universe. And still don't know what service going up means; better towels? Better sheets? The upright Hoover? The premium cleanser? The royal toilet brush? The premium window cleaner?

But it's always fun to play that psychological test.

Imagine the steward has ten cabins to attend to, and nine give him money up front. Guess which cabin he will give more attention to. Given: he already has your money.

I've done the upfront tipping but couldn't tell the difference in service. Now that I'm Platinum, I spread the extra tip I usually give out by putting $5 on each of the bags of free laundry I send out. I have time to determine if the extra tip is warranted and he gets to see that I value his service. The laundry seems to come back faster too.

On the last day I catch up an of the extra that I haven't given yet.

Edited by Miller_KC

To to OP we always tip beginning, middle and end of every trip be it land or cruise vacation. We always have amazing service since have started doing that. People say its not necessary and maybe it's not but for us its what we choose to do. I say handle it however you want but remember money talks

We do the same thing. Cruised with other couples and they ask why we got better service. I give them a tip at the start and say make sure my wife is happy. Has worked very well for us. ;)

We've never tipped up front. We are friendly, politely communicate whatever we'd like done or not done with the room and make conversation whenever we see them. We've always gotten good to excellent service and 9 times out of 10 tip extra in cash on the last day.

We've never tipped up front. We are friendly, politely communicate whatever we'd like done or not done with the room and make conversation whenever we see them. We've always gotten good to excellent service and 9 times out of 10 tip extra in cash on the last day.

Ditto. Never even occurs to me to tip in advance. Just off Paradise last week, and the steward didn't even come by to introduce himself until day 3. I thought this was odd, but not a big deal because the cabin was always maintained, and that's all I expect.

I take my own 6-pack cooler and diet cokes. I like one every day *very* cold, so left a polite note the first day asking to "please fill with ice twice a day", and got it. Overall, though, I'm pretty low maintenance. I'm tidy & don't leave a mess, I treat my cabin as I treat my house: I hang up my own towels, know where the trash cans are, and I use them. I don't think there is an expectation of payment of extra tips. If there is that expectation, it'll be evident by a lack of service, and shame on them if that's the case. It's their job to care for the cabin. I'm always friendly, polite and respectful of the hard work they do. I don't ask for anything unreasonable, and don't think any crew or "service" person (in any industry) should expect more than that. Extra tips are icing for a job already well done. To each his own - this is just my 2¢. :)

We do the same thing. Cruised with other couples and they ask why we got better service. I give them a tip at the start and say make sure my wife is happy. Has worked very well for us. ;)

Please tell us what better service you got in what areas

People do get put on retainers and initial deposit such as lawyers and contractors. Didn't you make a deposit on your cruise and pay off the balance prior to cruising vs after?

I've found out a combination of tipping upfront and being honest with your requests/expectations and treating them as another one of your fellow human beings is a good combination. I get to learn their names family situation and how long they have worked on Carnival etc. Also as the cruise goes along saying thank you for such and such thing as you cross in the hallway helps too. Humanize them and they will humanize you right back.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

When you go to a hotel, do you talk to the house keeping staff to learn their family names, how long they worked for the hotel to "humanize" them?

Just wondering.

Andy

Results are all over the board and I think it's because you can't ever know how your steward will act if you do/don't tip at the beginning of the week. After my first cruise in 2006 I came to the boards and heard the 'tip first' approach, so I thought I'd try it on our next cruise. Well, on our next cruise we tipped the steward, he was thankful, and that's about it. During one of the few times we saw him he told us it was his last week on the ship. Since then we've waited to tip at the end of the week and have had some great service and some satisfactory service. I really don't know that tipping up front is going to make them perform any better than they already would have.

Now, if you have some really outrageous request that can make their job more difficult (I would like the bathtub filled with ice every evening, please) then perhaps a tip given at the time of request may not be such a bad idea.

Edited by mferris77

When you go to a hotel, do you talk to the house keeping staff to learn their family names, how long they worked for the hotel to "humanize" them?

Just wondering.

Andy

Actually that is one of the qualities my DW loves and hates about. I do go out of my way an engage people. On our last time in a hotel I met these two ladies that both came from Guatemala who worked the day shift. They had family that worked the evening shift. They structured their work schedule with each other so someone is always taking care of the kids while the others were at work. I also found out they worked a rotating schedule of 4 days 2 days off so all the employees get a weekends off.

As to tipping up front, my sister who has a different last name, was on the same cruise I was on and she felt that she didn't want to tip up front to expedite her services. So we agreed before getting on the Liberty I was going to tip on day 1 and she was not. She was kind said hello and he knew her name and vice versa. But when things needed to be done my room always got attended to first 100% success rate with the ice and we had extra towel pets. Kindness is nice and money does talk but money and kindness will give you the edge with all things being equal.

I must admit that I have given a steward a tip at the begging of a cruise. One cruise we went with our three teenage sons who had the balcony cabin next to ours. If any of you have or had teenage boys you know what one boy's room looks like. Try multiplying that be three in a room!:eek:

Some posters here my see my advanced tip as a bride. I just thought of it as Danger Pay.:D

I think the level of service has way more to do with the room steward than a tip upfront. We tip at the end. I would feel uncomfortable giving a "tip" for service I haven't received yet. only exception would be if I asked them to keep ice everyday in a cooler. That's asking for extra service.

People do get put on retainers and initial deposit such as lawyers and contractors. Didn't you make a deposit on your cruise and pay off the balance prior to cruising vs after?

I've found out a combination of tipping upfront and being honest with your requests/expectations and treating them as another one of your fellow human beings is a good combination. I get to learn their names family situation and how long they have worked on Carnival etc. Also as the cruise goes along saying thank you for such and such thing as you cross in the hallway helps too. Humanize them and they will humanize you right back.

Paying someone a retainer or putting a deposit on a cruise is not the same as paying someone a tip before they've done anything to earn it. I have no problem with being polite towards our room steward, but I'm really not interested in his/her family or any other personal information. I'm not sure what you mean by "humanize". The room stewards ARE human, not trained monkeys. If certain passengers want to delude themselves into thinking they'll receive better attention from their room stewards by paying them for things that haven't been done yet, far be it from me to squash those fantasies.

The only time I have tipped during the curise is when I have asked for something extra, like a 2nd ice bucket to keep my pepsi in. Otherwise I tip at the end of the cruise.

If you are thinking of giving you steward a "gift", remember, they live in a small space and there is really not a lot of room for things they don't really need.

I am leaving out of Charleston in Oct. I love the idea of writing a thank you card at the beginning of the cruise to help ensure great service and an extra-friendly experience, and I plan to do that. However, I thought of maybe adding a "goodie", as well. Maybe even something specific to Charleston. My problem is I don't know what. It has to be just a couple of dollars, but something they will like or use. Any specific ideas? And will I have more than one steward?

So you want to bribe them to do their job? How insulting. Do you provide a gratuity at a restaurant before you are served?

Looking back at my title and wording, I can see where some of you thought I would be offering a bribe or be trying to buy service I wouldn't normally get on a cruise. On the cruises I've been on, I've always received excellent service. We have paid our tips in advance, and also tipped generously at the end of the cruise. In no way are we high maintenance. We ALWAYS clean up after ourselves on cruises, in hotels, restaurants, etc. We have never been ones to believe "it's their job to clean up after me" or "I'm on vacation, and have maids so I can live like a pig". We always thank anyone who serves us, and if it is appropriate we do engage them in conversation. Ice in my cooler, extra towels and maybe an extra blanket are about as demanding as I get.

I'm thinking more along the lines of "hey, we're excited to be here, look forward to working with and getting to know you, and know we will have a great week". I don't consider that trying to bribe, or a retainer, but a nice gesture to get us off on a good foot, and to let them know in advance that they are valued. As for a token, I was thinking cookies or a similar small consumable that they might not get on the boat.

I know that if I get bad service, I can always address that with the people in charge. If one buys a drink on board, you are paying a required tip there, no matter the service. I have choices on the stewards.

Why would anyone call when you can Skype?

Everyone doesn't have the equipment to Skype especially low wage workers who send much of there monies home.

This is why there are still phone centers around the cruise ship docks that cater to the crew.

Looking back at my title and wording, I can see where some of you thought I would be offering a bribe or be trying to buy service I wouldn't normally get on a cruise. On the cruises I've been on, I've always received excellent service. We have paid our tips in advance, and also tipped generously at the end of the cruise. In no way are we high maintenance. We ALWAYS clean up after ourselves on cruises, in hotels, restaurants, etc. We have never been ones to believe "it's their job to clean up after me" or "I'm on vacation, and have maids so I can live like a pig". We always thank anyone who serves us, and if it is appropriate we do engage them in conversation. Ice in my cooler, extra towels and maybe an extra blanket are about as demanding as I get.

I'm thinking more along the lines of "hey, we're excited to be here, look forward to working with and getting to know you, and know we will have a great week". I don't consider that trying to bribe, or a retainer, but a nice gesture to get us off on a good foot, and to let them know in advance that they are valued. As for a token, I was thinking cookies or a similar small consumable that they might not get on the boat.

I know that if I get bad service, I can always address that with the people in charge. If one buys a drink on board, you are paying a required tip there, no matter the service. I have choices on the stewards.

The 15% gratuity on bar beverages is not required and can be modified and/or removed, just like the automatic gratuity.

on the first day i give the room steward a $100.00 and his/her helper $50.00.

after that they keep my ice full, my bed is always made up when i leave and come back , even if its two or three times a day. the bath room is clean with fresh paper, folded. towels up and soap full.

the floors are clean and the air is on.

if theirs a ref. in the room they empty it so i can put all my drinks in.

and at nite theirs a mint and a towel animal on my bed .

they call me by my name .

is this not worth it ?

Everyone doesn't have the equipment to Skype especially low wage workers who send much of there monies home.

This is why there are still phone centers around the cruise ship docks that cater to the crew.

You're joking. More low income folk have smart phones than higher income folks.

. If one buys a drink on board, you are paying a required tip there, no matter the service.

That's not true. You can make that tip anything you like. You are ALWAYS 100% in charge of your own tips.

You're joking. More low income folk have smart phones than higher income folks.

DW has a Tracfone from Wal-mart and we do quite well. :)

You sure don't see crew lined up six to ten deep at banks of phone booths anymore

If you want to find free or the best deal on wifi in port ask, or just follow the crew members.