Buttering up room steward(s) at the beginning of the cruise

lisacb12

I am leaving out of Charleston in Oct. I love the idea of writing a thank you card at the beginning of the cruise to help ensure great service and an extra-friendly experience, and I plan to do that. However, I thought of maybe adding a "goodie", as well. Maybe even something specific to Charleston. My problem is I don't know what. It has to be just a couple of dollars, but something they will like or use. Any specific ideas? And will I have more than one steward?

Any employee paid up front will do the same job if they got paid at the end of the week.

You have no clue if you have the best or the worst before you see them do anything, so don't waste your time.

Any employee paid up front will do the same job if they got paid at the end of the week.

You have no clue if you have the best or the worst before you see them do anything, so don't waste your time.

ONE HUNDRED PERCENT AGREE....

If you feel your steward deserves extra....give it to him/her, on your last day with a smile and handshake.:)

Shouldn't cruise staff be performing their job to the best of their ability to provide a service that exceeds guest expectations, without the guest tipping before receiving service or attempting to [as some say] "bribe" crew members?

A really good steward will not take a tip upfront -- it can be a bit insulting. It implies that they won't do a good job without upfront payment.

We've always gotten very good to excellent service from our stewards, we just treat them with the respect they deserve, and thank them sincerely whenever the handle a request for us. We also always leave our cabin neat and picked up, with nothing on the bathroom counters.

We almost always give them an envelope with additional cash on the last night.

I usually leave a $20 with a note reading "ICE", and pointing to my bucket!

You will get the same result simply asking for ice. And that's made out of the same water.

To to OP we always tip beginning, middle and end of every trip be it land or cruise vacation. We always have amazing service since have started doing that. People say its not necessary and maybe it's not but for us its what we choose to do. I say handle it however you want but remember money talks

I usually leave a $20 with a note reading "ICE", and pointing to my bucket!

Really?

Do you think you won't get the ice if you don't pay him?

An extra tip at the END....means to them that they did a wonderful job.

A tip at the beginning is a bribe and may very well backfire on you.

"Already got my extra $20...no need to bend over backwards"

Get the picture?

To to OP we always tip beginning, middle and end of every trip be it land or cruise vacation. We always have amazing service since have started doing that. People say its not necessary and maybe it's not but for us its what we choose to do. I say handle it however you want but remember money talks

You will find you will get the same fine service along the way without having to do this.

Really?

Do you think you won't get the ice if you don't pay him?

An extra tip at the END....means to them that they did a wonderful job.

A tip at the beginning is a bribe and may very well backfire on you.

"Already got my extra $20...no need to bend over backwards"

Get the picture?

I actually read that as rude. Like a command you give a dog. I would hope that's all they got in their bucket, and would definitely do a sniff test.

We just and show him our cooler and ask politely to have be kept full -- we've never run out of ice. :)

Maybe they think they are getting the better quality ice.

I actually read that as rude. Like a command you give a dog. I would hope that's all they got in their bucket, and would definitely do a sniff test.

LMAO......never even thought of that, but you make a GREAT point.:)

I am leaving out of Charleston in Oct. I love the idea of writing a thank you card at the beginning of the cruise to help ensure great service and an extra-friendly experience, and I plan to do that. However, I thought of maybe adding a "goodie", as well. Maybe even something specific to Charleston. My problem is I don't know what. It has to be just a couple of dollars, but something they will like or use. Any specific ideas? And will I have more than one steward?

Just out of curiousity, do you get a paycheck BEFORE you do anything to earn it? Why would you pay someone (such as your room steward) before they do anything for you? If you give an extra tip to your room steward at the beginning of the cruise, and he/she does a really lousy job, are you going to ask for your money back?

Every cruise I buy the Carnival collapsible cooler with beer set from Bon Voyage. I always give our room steward $20 at the beginning of the cruise and ask that he keep my cooler filled with ice. It holds a ton more ice than that teeny bucket. Then we also give him or her a cash tip at the end plus we prepay our tips.

We threw our guy a few bucks on Day 1 and he was super nice the whole trip, calling both of us by name - I know that's their gig, but we did it to be nice, not to bribe

Just out of curiousity, do you get a paycheck BEFORE you do anything to earn it? Why would you pay someone (such as your room steward) before they do anything for you? If you give an extra tip to your room steward at the beginning of the cruise, and he/she does a really lousy job, are you going to ask for your money back?

People do get put on retainers and initial deposit such as lawyers and contractors. Didn't you make a deposit on your cruise and pay off the balance prior to cruising vs after?

I've found out a combination of tipping upfront and being honest with your requests/expectations and treating them as another one of your fellow human beings is a good combination. I get to learn their names family situation and how long they have worked on Carnival etc. Also as the cruise goes along saying thank you for such and such thing as you cross in the hallway helps too. Humanize them and they will humanize you right back.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

People do get put on retainers and initial deposit such as lawyers and contractors. Didn't you make a deposit on your cruise and pay off the balance prior to cruising vs after?

I've found out a combination of tipping upfront and being honest with your requests/expectations and treating them as another one of your fellow human beings is a good combination. I get to learn their names family situation and how long they have worked on Carnival etc. Also as the cruise goes along saying thank you for such and such thing as you cross in the hallway helps too. Humanize them and they will humanize you right back.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Humanize them? really? Smh

DING, DING, DING we have a winner.

I do the same thing and have had many personal conversations with as many of the staff as I can.

Makes for better, quicker service and I learn about different cultures and ship policies.