If I Can Only Learn One Language . . .

Thanks so much for your reply. My husband always wants to over tip in Europe so I'll show him what you said.

On Duolingo I'm 456dusty. My preferred usernames kept getting rejected so I just made one up!

I agree about the outrageous sales taxes we have!

Regarding you comment about outrageous sales tax, you missed the point that Hambagahle was making. It's not the amount of the sales tax in many states, it is that it is added on to the shelf price of the item. As a fact, the "sales tax" called value added tax in many places is much higher than the highest sales tax in any US State. You simply don't see it as the shelf price already includes this very high tax.

And, hang onto your hat as there is a bill in Congress that many of us hope passes which will eliminate federal income tax completely and replace it with a "sales"/"value added tax" on most items so that everyone pays taxes. There are provisions to cover food, take care of the poor who would be burdened, and other features however, you would get your full salary and no witholding at least of federal income taxes. It is called the Fair Tax and is really fairer than the current income tax. It also replaces the social security deduction. It is estimated to be 23% but, don't be concerned about that seeming large amount as everything isn't taxable and most working people will pay less than today.

Definitely wish we had the fair tax or some other version of VAT here. Tax evasion is rampant in the US. And it would much simpler as well. Of course, all the tax accountants and processors are against it.

While I may agree or disagree with the above comments, Cruise Critic is not the place to discuss politics. I feel very strongly about this. This line of discussion could open a huge can of worms.:mad:

I don't agree with you.

This subject affects everyone the US because it affects what we pay for cruising, etc., and we are certainly entitled to our opinions. IMO.

RallyDave is right about the point I was making (Hi Dave!!)

Our VAT here in CH is 8%. In France it is over 20%. But the only place one sees it is on a bill for services usually - in shops, restaurants it is IN the quoted price. So you know where you are. And since here, in France and in Italy the menu prices also include the tip you really know where you are! (Local "practice" in those two latter countries assumes one will leave what the French call a "pourboire" for the waiter but no way is it 18-20% like it seems to be in the US).

456Dusty - I will be looking for you on Duolingo!!

Edited by Hambagahle

Hi Gerry, interesting how low the VAT is in Switzerland. Didn't think VAT was below 10% anywhere. Sales taxes in the US vary from 0% in several states to a high of about 9.25% plus income taxes in most states.

As Responder correctly stated, nothing political about talking about taxes and providing info to people who aren't familiar with the taxes in the US and other countries. Also talking about changing the tax structure in the US affects almost everyone and again is not political.

It really helps to know the tax structure as well as what is included in the pricing (gratuitie, taxes, etc.) to help people from different areas and countries budget and leave the appropriate gratuity, if applicable.

I don't agree with you.

This subject affects everyone the US because it affects what we pay for cruising, etc., and we are certainly entitled to our opinions. IMO.

I definitely agree with TC. While this is an important subject for discussion, it is NOT for discussion on a cruise forum. Too political.

...Also talking about changing the tax structure in the US affects almost everyone and again is not political...

Sorry, Dave. It IS one of those things that most often falls into a right-left division, which makes it political. And, politics do not belong on a cruise forum.

I don't agree with you.

So? You never do:eek:

This is political as it speaks to how a person may or may not vote on an issue. As mentioned above, this has no place on Cruise Critic. There are many political agendas that affect cruise fares that have no place on Cruise Critic. Stating tax structures of different states or countries is one thing -- but when you start talking about things that have yet to be voted on, it is political. Definitely walking a slippery slope here.

Edited by Travelcat2

I agree with Hondorner and TC; there are plenty of forums elsewhere where you can discuss the merits of taxation models. This is a travel forum, so info about the taxes in a particular country are relevant, but not whether they are good or bad and should be adopted in the U.S. of A.

(BTW, in Canada we have a vat-style tax called the GST [goods & services tax]. It's applied differently in different provinces, to everything but a small list of exceptions. Here in Ontario, it's combined with our provincial sales tax, and the combination is called the HST [for "harmonized".] It is not rolled into prices, but is added when you pay.)