Weather in Alaska

mya603

I just booked a cruise tour for May 29 through Jun 8 of 2015. On the Sun. I was wondering if anyone had any idea of what the weather is usually like? Especially when on deck on the cruise. Will I need a heavy jacket, light jacket, headgear, gloves? I've never been to Alaska before and this will be my maiden cruise also. Any info will help. Thanks so much!

I just booked a cruise tour for May 29 through Jun 8 of 2015. On the Sun. I was wondering if anyone had any idea of what the weather is usually like? Especially when on deck on the cruise. Will I need a heavy jacket, light jacket, headgear, gloves? I've never been to Alaska before and this will be my maiden cruise also. Any info will help. Thanks so much!

The Alaskan weather is totally unpredictable. Our first Alaskan cruise was the same week you are cruising. The entire trip was sunny and temps during the day were in the high 70s, low 80s. Even the locals said it was the best weather they had seen in five years. The next trip, same week, was more Alaskan. The weather was cool and frequently drizzly or even some rain. The temps were high 40s, low 50s mostly. There is no way to tell. You should expect it to be normally on the cooler side. Alaska seems to require more clothes packed because you just don't know what you will be wearing. By the way, an excellent choice for a first cruise. And we really like the Sun also.

The weather can be all over the map. The key is to take layers, instead of a bulky jacket. We went at the end of July and our weather ranged from 80 and sunny to 38 and sleeting. :)

Take t-shirts, long sleeve shirts, a fleece sweatshirt and a hooded rain jacket at least. If cold, you can layer those into a warm, dry coat. You'll also want a knit cap and gloves in case you need them, and two pair of walking shoes (sneakers) because AK is pretty rainy sometimes and your feet will get wet.

There's a review with pictures of our AK trip in my signature area

Not to change the subject, however I have to ask. Which trip did you book and what does your itinerary look like? I want to book the 12 day Denali Fairbanks southbound however on the booking engine the itinerary is a little messed up for the land portion. Reads like the north bound land portion

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

One of our Alaska cruises was in May. We wore a sweatshirt under a medium weight jacket and gloves. Up around the glaciers it can be really cold, even in summer. Can be cool and damp that time of year too. The next time we went in August, just needed a light to medium jacket (temp was in the 60s for most of the ports).

Not to change the subject, however I have to ask. Which trip did you book and what does your itinerary look like? I want to book the 12 day Denali Fairbanks southbound however on the booking engine the itinerary is a little messed up for the land portion. Reads like the north bound land portion

I booked the denali 11 day land first cruise southbound trip. Here's the itinerary: Fri 29-May Sat 30-May HOTEL TO BE ASSIGNED

Sat 30-May Mon 01-Jun HOTEL TO BE ASSIGNED

Mon 01-Jun 9:00 pm SHIP DEPARTS SEWARD, ALASKA, US

Tue 02-Jun CRUISE HUBBARD GLACIER

Wed 03-Jun 9:00 am Wed 03-Jun 5:00 pm ICY STRAIT POINT, ALASKA, US

Thu 04-Jun 7:00 am Thu 04-Jun 1:15 pm JUNEAU, ALASKA, US

Thu 04-Jun CRUISE SAWYER GLACIER

Fri 05-Jun 7:00 am Fri 05-Jun 5:00 pm SKAGWAY, ALASKA, US

Sat 06-Jun 1:00 pm Sat 06-Jun 8:00 pm KETCHIKAN, ALASKA, US

Sun 07-Jun CRUISE INSIDE PASSAGE

Mon 08-Jun 8:00 am SHIP ARRIVES AT VANCOUVER, CANADA It all looks good to me!

I booked the denali 11 day land first cruise southbound trip. Here's the itinerary: Fri 29-May Sat 30-May HOTEL TO BE ASSIGNED

Sat 30-May Mon 01-Jun HOTEL TO BE ASSIGNED

Mon 01-Jun 9:00 pm SHIP DEPARTS SEWARD, ALASKA, US

Tue 02-Jun CRUISE HUBBARD GLACIER

Wed 03-Jun 9:00 am Wed 03-Jun 5:00 pm ICY STRAIT POINT, ALASKA, US

Thu 04-Jun 7:00 am Thu 04-Jun 1:15 pm JUNEAU, ALASKA, US

Thu 04-Jun CRUISE SAWYER GLACIER

Fri 05-Jun 7:00 am Fri 05-Jun 5:00 pm SKAGWAY, ALASKA, US

Sat 06-Jun 1:00 pm Sat 06-Jun 8:00 pm KETCHIKAN, ALASKA, US

Sun 07-Jun CRUISE INSIDE PASSAGE

Mon 08-Jun 8:00 am SHIP ARRIVES AT VANCOUVER, CANADA It all looks good to me!

Cool That's great. I am conserved with the land portion of the 12 day Denali Fairbanks as for the Southbound trip it's backwards. Unfortunately it is irritating me

Okay. LIght jacket and layers. I can do that. I have actually found a nice jacket with inside pockets that I'm thinking of getting. And I already have a knit cap and gloves. Thanks for all your help.

Okay. LIght jacket and layers. I can do that. I have actually found a nice jacket with inside pockets that I'm thinking of getting. And I already have a knit cap and gloves. Thanks for all your help.

Make sure the jacket is waterproof. We've never been to Alaska (four times) without at least a few days of rain.

Robin

This will be our 21'st year of the addiction called Alaska. :D It will just what everyone has said, all over the place. Foggy, sunny, drizzle, rain, cold, warm.... dress in layers and be prepared to shuck something along the way.

NEVER sweat the weather, just armor up and keep going. If you are waiting on weather, find another place to visit. It can interfere with some tours though. Planes won't fly in heavy fog. Fog is often the biggest pain with the weather at times. It it is pouring rain... have a ball, whales don't care, eagles don't care. Come back to the room and try to use up all the hot water afterwards. :eek:

Bring it on! I am ready!

We're sailing to Alaska from Vancouver on May 16....will we need boots or will shoes be OK?

I guess it depends on what you will be doing for excursions. I've never taken anything other than tennis shoes and been fine. Even hiked up to the lake in Skagway and out around Mendenhall in Juneau.

Start your check list now and make sure the cap and gloves are on it ! :)

Make sure your jacket is waterproof

The ship gift shop sells fleece jackets for a good price (under $20 if I recall) if you need an extra layer.

Here's a pic showing basically what we wore in Victoria

IMG_2256-vi.jpg

Here's a picture from Juneau a couple of days earlier (my son and I). I had on a long sleeve t-shirt, a fleece sweatshirt and a gore-tex rain jacket...and I was cold!

DSCN5183-vi.jpg

Here's the same son on the deck of a fishing boat in Ketchikan the day before. Yes, it's raining and cold. :)

DSCN4891-vi.jpg

My kids and their catch. Stopped raining, but probably 45 degrees. In August

IMG_2705-vi.jpg

But it was light jacket weather in Skagway...

DSCN5307-vi.jpg

Edited by sdmike

The DH and I went to Alaska the same time you are planning. We packed layers and our heavy ski type jackets. I brought ski pants (for warmth and keeping dry). The weather was in the 70's and 80's! It did rain briefly in Ketchikan but it was a light rain. We finally got to wear our jackets when we sat on the balcony during Glacier Bay and in Victoria at night. I think the other poster advice of layers in the best way and you will be ready no matter what you wear.

As always, Mike's post above tells the story... perfect example of cruise weather in Alaska...

Great shots, Mike.

Thanks! I guess the message in Alaska is "expect anything". :)

Exactly we didn't expect to see Humpbacks but we saw a family! It was a warm perfect day in the 70's.

That's awesome! Was it on an excursion in Juneau? We didn't see any whales, although we spent a lot of time looking from our balcony. Still have my eagle experience tho.

Edited by sdmike