Seattle downtown(?) hotel

bones774

Hi all,

Ok, i've got my airport hotel settled now it's onto the city itself. We will be returning from cruise on a Sunday to Pier 66. I have flight booked out of Seattle for Tuesday. That gives me most of Sunday, all of Monday and scoot out on Tuesday. What to do Sunday?since it's not a full day and we have to check into our room.

I guess it would be best to stay in the downtown(is that what they call it) area to see the sights. Looking for some hotel recommendations. Want to do space needle and markets.

Thnaks

Downtown hotels can be pretty pricey. Do you have points to use anywhere?

Seattle has all the major hotel chains.

The hotels near the Space Needle/Seattle Center tend to be a bit cheaper, like Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn, Quality Inn. Walk a few blocks to the Space Needle, catch the monorail for a 3 minute ride downtown. OR try the Lake Union area and ride the streetcar downtown... the Silver Cloud hotel has a shuttle that will drop you off/pick up at a few of the popular tourist spots.

There are so many hotels .... best to find a few that meet your budget then ask for feedback on your short list.

p.s. Visit Pike Place Market on Monday morning... the weekend crowds are overwhelming by 11am.

Yes, I have choice hotels rewards and they have a special now, book 2 separate vacations and get i day free. that could be good if i book the airport hotel and on return book a downtown hotel and pay for 1 night get 2nd night free.

• 3 weeks later...

I always use Priceline when booking in Seattle, and I almost always get the Sheraton or the Westin but there are a few others in the 4-star range that are all very much acceptable. Have a look at the Priceline hotels in Seattle to see what you might get.

I would also avoid the Space Needle area. I stayed there in my early 20s and didn't bother going back. Some parts are ok, just as great to walk around.

I can help you - we just did this! Disembarked a cruise in Seattle at Pier 66, took a cab to the Roosevelt Hotel on 7th St. in downtown Seattle. The cab cost about $12.00 on the meter (just for a reference point). We had booked this hotel ages ago. It was wonderful! Very walkable to Public Market (7 blocks) and close to malls, shopping, restaurants, etc.

A cab from the hotel to the airport should be a flat rate of $40.00 - we didn't need to do this but we saw it posted in both of our cab's windows.

Have fun. :)

...What to do Sunday?since it's not a full day and we have to check into our room...

You will have most of the day Sunday. You should be at hotel by 10am or so. Fair chance you can check in and get your room. IF you can not, check the bags and head down to Pikes Market and enjoy the day.

Does anyone know how the Maxwell hotel is. It gets very good reviews, but, I believe it is close to the Space Needle. Thank you in advance for any information you may have on it.

Janet

yes, it is close to the Space Needle/Seattle Center. Very convenient for sightseeing. The monorail will have you downtown in less than 5 minutes. The area is also residential so there are restaurants and grocery stores closeby.

I've driven by it a number of times, but I've never stayed there. Looks nice.

As you saw, it gets good reviews. What info are you looking for?

That pretty much answers my questions about the Maxwell. We have never been to Seattle and just wasn't sure about the area. Thank you so much for your help. If you have time to post, do you have any recommendations on moderately priced restaurants. We will be there two days and evenings, so would need breakfast, lunch and dinner suggestions if you can please. We eat most anything...love seafood, Italian, Mexican food. No burgers or pizza but most anything else. Thank you for the info on the Maxwell and that area

I'd suggest starting a new thread for restaurant suggestions since this thread is about hotels.

I'm not a foodie, but when we have out of town guests we usually go to Anthony's near pier 66 for seafood, Or, IVARs take-away counter near pier 52.

The Maxwell is our favourite Seattle hotel, and part of the reason is its proximity to many dining options. One of the most popular brunch places in town, Toulouse Petit (New Orleans style food), is an easy walk of under 600 yards along Roy to Queen Anne. Only downside is they're outrageously busy - so if you don't feel like waiting, pop into the run-by-the-same-folks Pesos Mexican next door.

This area around Queen Anne has a ton of mid-range and cheap spots - Irish & PNW pubs, Thai, Vietnamese and many more. If you can be bothered with climbing the (steeeeeeeep!!!) hill there are even more options on Queen Anne North, plus great views of downtown (including the view from Frasier's non-existent condo).

Edited by martincath

That pretty much answers my questions about the Maxwell. We have never been to Seattle and just wasn't sure about the area. Thank you so much for your help. If you have time to post, do you have any recommendations on moderately priced restaurants. We will be there two days and evenings, so would need breakfast, lunch and dinner suggestions if you can please. We eat most anything...love seafood, Italian, Mexican food. No burgers or pizza but most anything else. Thank you for the info on the Maxwell and that area

A few people here say they don't like the area, but I have no idea why. Especially on that side of Seattle Center, it's a great neighborhood, with a lot more fun bars and (relatively) affordable restaurants than around the downtown hotels.

Some of my favorite restaurants in the area are Toulouse Petit (great New Orleans Creole food, best breakfasts in town), Blue Water Taco Grill (cheap but very good), Tup Tim Thai, Racha Thai, Bahn Thai (what can I say? We like Thai food here), and The Melting Pot (fondue extravaganza!) Keys on Main is a piano bar that I hear is lots of fun.

Edited by Casagordita

We just booked Hampton Inn near Seattle Center. Last time we stayed at the a grand Hyatt, and it was so nice. We took the light rail from SEA TAC to West???something station, which was a two block walk from the Grand Hyatt. Grand was also a 6-7 block walk from Pike's Market

We chose Hampton Inn this time because there are 3 of us and we were aleto book a two bedroom two bathroom suite there for just a fraction more than it would have cost for one regular room at Grand Hyatt. We will only have to walk a few short blocks to catch the monorail which will take us to downtown area from which it will be a short walk to Pike's Place market.

I researched the Maxwell and Hotel Five. Both are pineapple properties and look really good too!

I really appreciate all the info on hotels and restaurants. We have booked the Maxwell, but, will check out some other suggested hotels. I love Cruise Critic. Everyone has been so helpful. I normally just lurk but, since Seattle is a new area for us, we need all the help we can get. A big thank you for the suggestions I have received. Janet

I really appreciate all the info on hotels and restaurants. We have booked the Maxwell, but, will check out some other suggested hotels. I love Cruise Critic. Everyone has been so helpful. I normally just lurk but, since Seattle is a new area for us, we need all the help we can get. A big thank you for the suggestions I have received. Janet

if you look down the page, I posted 2 web sites for Seattle visitors that might be helpful to you.