A New Englander meets Texas! Magic Review April 20 - 27 WITH PICS!!

Catrin

Hello!

Thank you for posting this review. I can tell your family had a great time. like you, I find Cozumel to be a port that I have enjoyed over and over again!

I have a question about laundry! In the past I have been afraid to send my clothes out because I have heard their washing and drying process is harsh. Do you find any issues with bleach spots, stains, shrinkage, etc?

Thanks!

We have had no problem with the laundry on the ship... (except for once on the Dream, they lost it... recovered and mailed to us three weeks later!). We usually only send things like Tshirts, Gym Clothes, Shorts, etc. I do not send any delicates at all.

Nothing like having your clothes washed and folded!!!

Catrin

Hello!

Thank you for posting this review. I can tell your family had a great time. like you, I find Cozumel to be a port that I have enjoyed over and over again!

I have a question about laundry! In the past I have been afraid to send my clothes out because I have heard their washing and drying process is harsh. Do you find any issues with bleach spots, stains, shrinkage, etc?

Thanks!

I wanted to know the same thing about laundry

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

We had sent out our laundry many times. We never had any problems.

Our Final Thoughts.....

First, we LOVED the Magic .. the ship that is. We really enjoyed the Lido Pool area.. the three levels, some in the sun, some in the shade. We really enjoyed the Waterworks area, the skycourse and the big screen!!

This ship for us never felt crowded. It handles all the passengers so well. From the dining room to the show room, to the buffet areas. It may be the time of year, with less kids and the single supplement, but it just never seemed crowded.

Favorites..

Without question, the Red Frog pub was a highlight. Great people, fantastic music (Robbie Litt is a Gem!) and fun atmosphere.

Great social staff led by James Dunn, Cruise Director.

Variety of Food - no lines at the Pizza station all week. We tried Mongolian Wok, Tandoor, Burrito Bar, Room Service, etc.

Camp Carnival and Club O2 for the kids....

and.... the PASSENGERS!! Wow, amazing NICE group of people. Yes, we were the oddballs from Rhode Island, and No, I do not know country music, but we had a really fun time.

Opportunities....

Room Steward - nothing WRONG exactly... just not the most friendly steward. Did his job but nothing special.

Pictures.. wow, have these gone up in price. Did it really cost $17.00 for our welcome aboard pic? Carnival really needs to re-think these and utilize technology here.

The Gym - two broken elliptical and two broken treadmills all week. Plus a few screens that were not working. Just needed updates.

Roatan... we would not do the Tabanya Beach Break again. Either we would go to an all inclusive or stay at Mohogany Bay.

I hope you enjoyed my diary and review!!

Catrin

Fellow RI cruiser here! We sailed Splendor out of NYC over the April break and had a really good time. Were so disappointed that won't be an option next year, and the prices for airfare to Florida are insane that week! Nice to hear that Galveston is an option; I wouldn't have even thought about that. Magic sounds like a terrific ship, and that you had a great time! Enjoyed your review!

Fellow RI cruiser here! We sailed Splendor out of NYC over the April break and had a really good time. Were so disappointed that won't be an option next year, and the prices for airfare to Florida are insane that week! Nice to hear that Galveston is an option; I wouldn't have even thought about that. Magic sounds like a terrific ship, and that you had a great time! Enjoyed your review!

Hello RI Mom!

Yes, please do consider Galveston!! You may have to fly from Boston, but flights were not bad at all.... and when you figure the cheaper cruise fare, you will find it cheaper than the cruise out of NYC!! We priced both and the Magic PLUS flights was about $80.00 more than the Splendor for the same week.

Catrin

Great review and sounds like a lot of family fun. We will be on the Magic in October, first family cruise, and my DW has really enjoyed reading your review and picking up good information for the whole family. We can't wait to visit the Red Frog and watch the kids on the rope course! Thanks for taking the time to post.

I have enjoyed reading your review of the Magic. We will be sailing on her this coming New Year's Eve/Day week and I was hoping that there is some kind of burrito station or bar there.

Last July, we were on a 7-day cruise on the Liberty and thoroughly enjoyed the Blue Iguana Cantina. I loved the fresh, hot homemade flour tortillas (and I live in South Texas, so that's sayin' somethin'...) that the cooks at the Blue Iguana were happy to provide. Yes, they gave me a quick "funny" look when I asked for the tortilla plain (I like it simple, just buttered or with jelly and/or peanut butter or peanut butter and honey) but they were good and a nice reminder of my hometown. However, I understand that the Magic doesn't have the Blue Iguana Cantina :(

So, do you know if the Burrito Bar has freshly-made flour tortillas? Also, where exactly is the burrito bar?

Thanks!

Great review and sounds like a lot of family fun. We will be on the Magic in October, first family cruise, and my DW has really enjoyed reading your review and picking up good information for the whole family. We can't wait to visit the Red Frog and watch the kids on the rope course! Thanks for taking the time to post.

Thanks for reading! Please let me know if your DW has any specific questions... lots of experience with all different ages, as our oldest who is in college is 19, and his first cruise was at age 8. Matt's first was at age 4 and Allison's first was age 2!!

Catrin

I have enjoyed reading your review of the Magic. We will be sailing on her this coming New Year's Eve/Day week and I was hoping that there is some kind of burrito station or bar there.

Last July, we were on a 7-day cruise on the Liberty and thoroughly enjoyed the Blue Iguana Cantina. I loved the fresh, hot homemade flour tortillas (and I live in South Texas, so that's sayin' somethin'...) that the cooks at the Blue Iguana were happy to provide. Yes, they gave me a quick "funny" look when I asked for the tortilla plain (I like it simple, just buttered or with jelly and/or peanut butter or peanut butter and honey) but they were good and a nice reminder of my hometown. However, I understand that the Magic doesn't have the Blue Iguana Cantina :(

So, do you know if the Burrito Bar has freshly-made flour tortillas? Also, where exactly is the burrito bar?

Thanks!

Hello! Yes, there is a Burrito bar on the Lido Deck. It is the last dining area before you hit the Aft Pool. It is open for LUNCH only! I did have a Burrito one day, very light line and a nice alternative.

I did miss the Blue Iguana and Guy's burger setup.. along with the Red Frog Rum bar that the Liberty had, but the Magic Set up was just fine too!!

Catrin

I have loved reading your review! Like others, I wanted to say thanks for taking the time to document and write. We will be on her in just a few short days and will definitely be checking out the Red Frog! Thanks again!

Great review Catrin! We'll be on the same itinerary in Sept and wondering if you kept copies of the Fun Times and if you plan to post them. PLEASE.

I'd be more than willing to beg for these, too! Lol

We are doing this itinerary in November on the Magic and really appreciate your review![emoji4] [emoji120][emoji568][emoji56]

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Edited by christyran1228

Great review! We were on this cruise as well and had a great time too. It's neat to see a different perspective from someone on the same cruise. We loved Cozumel as well. We went to Chankanaab and had a lot of fun. It looks like Mr. Sanchos is certainly an option the next time we go.

Great review Catrin! We'll be on the same itinerary in Sept and wondering if you kept copies of the Fun Times and if you plan to post them. PLEASE.

Hello.. I DO have them.

I had not planned on posting them, but I can scan a few if you would like.

Let me know what you are looking for and I will try to get a few done this weekend.

Catrin

Great review! We were on this cruise as well and had a great time too. It's neat to see a different perspective from someone on the same cruise. We loved Cozumel as well. We went to Chankanaab and had a lot of fun. It looks like Mr. Sanchos is certainly an option the next time we go.

I hope you had a great time. We really enjoyed the other folks on this ship. Everyone has such a different experience because of all the options. What did you enjoy the most?

Thanks for reading!

Catrin

We always stay at a Hampton Inn if we have a choice. They are usually very consistent and reliable... and the Hampton Inn at Hobby Airport was no exception.

Our plans were to find something to eat for dinner, to find a place to get a 12 pack of soda for the cruise and then to go to bed. That simple. Unfortunately, there is NOTHING around this hotel, except a Gulf Gas Station and other hotels. the hotel offered a free shuttle to many stores and restaurants - anything within 2.5 miles. But.. we really didn't feel like going anywhere....

Some notes from a local:

1. The area around Hobby is a little rough. I wouldn't call it ghetto, but it is definitely industrial. The Holiday Inn that y'all ate in is a good choice. There's also a DoubleTree with a full service restaurant where the food is pretty good.

2. Some of the places within 2.5 miles of the hotel are not going to be Houston's finest. Don't judge us on Hobby airport. (which is still my favorite airport in the city to fly in and out of) But if the shuttle will take you as far as Baybrook Mall, there are a lot of places to eat both in and around the mall as well as on the other side of I-45 at Bay Area Blvd. If you like fish tacos, there's a Berryhill Baja Grill over there. Berryhill is a good local chain. Other local chains that are reliable are any of the Pappas restaurants (there are a couple of these in Hobby Airport, too).

Day at Sea - Monday April 21st

So... to add to my collection.... a Magic 24Kt Gold Plastic Ship on a Stick. It joins the others I have at home.. Yes, one from each of my previous 13 cruises. (On our first, they offered Champagne as Trivia prizes!).

68fb385e-122d-49ba-af3a-13991a68f0ec_zps61f71846.jpg

Yes!!! I remember that!!! On my first cruise I didn't have to buy one drink!! I had a bottle of champagne as a going away present and then won 2 more during the week!! Those were good times - those free cheap bottles!! :)

• 1 year later...