A New Englander meets Texas! Magic Review April 20 - 27 WITH PICS!!

Catrin

I'm loving your review! Thank you for taking the time to do this!

I can't wait until our first time to Galveston and on the Magic later this year!

By any chance do you have the name of the car service that you used from the airport to the cruise terminal? It sounded like you'd recommend them.

Thank you!

My family and I were on the dolphin tour boat honking and waving as you guys were headed out!!

We saw that tour boat and we waved to you!!!!

We saw that tour boat and we waved to you!!!!

SO COOL!! My kids were on the front waving like crazy! They cruised Magic March 2013. Little do they know they get to go for Christmas and will find out 4 days before we go.

I think we will choose to stay on the ship if we go to Belize again as well. We also did Cave tubing in Belize on our last trip with CaveTubing.BZ and we did love it but it was not something we would probably do again, it was fun and the caves were breath taking but too exhausting.

That night... (can you see a routine here??) We went back to the Red Frog Pub. The shows did not call our name this cruise. We just wanted to hang out and relax.

We sat at the bar this night and enjoyed just watching the bartenders do their thing all night. What great bunch of hardworking people!!

Here is a picture of the outside of the pub taken during an afternoon....

57df1527-2738-4112-91b5-f34eb7e11ad0_zpsb1784b6b.jpg

52831388-6a41-4194-9b4c-de7f5c4edad4_zps2b50f3e7.jpg

And the great staff...

d064c987-a915-4138-bf54-0bbb303a234b_zps1e909de8.jpg

And Us!

74fbe0d4-2620-4763-b4f2-c0f2eca08aa8_zpsfac43a92.jpg

By now, we see the same people over and over again at the Red Frog. Two couples from Detroit, and a lot of people from Texas! We really enjoyed playing Pub Trivia each night at 8:45 with Louis, and listening to Robbie and Bradley each night.

Also.. one great fun thing they do.. is they take pictures with their digital camera all day and night. Those pictures instantly show up on the tv screens throughout the pub in a rotation. It is fun to see other cruisers having such a good time throughout the week!! They also print those pictures (of course!!) for purchase. We had a lot of pictures taken throughout the week, but this was our favorite. (Yes, looks just like the picture above but with a Red Frog Border!)

796ee63f-ee66-466d-bfe2-de032daa5b1b_zps3f1f0718.jpg

We picked up Allison right at 10, and had our Late Night Ice Cream Cone and walk through the Lido deck ... then ventured to bed. Another great day down. We needed our rest because tomorrow was an early morning and our favorite place in the world... COZUMEL!!

Catrin

I had to show this to my husband... He was so happy to see his friends. Jefferson is the 2nd guy. He got to know them all pretty well. His favorite place is the Red Frog Pub. I think this picture settled it for him.... Magic it is for our next cruise. LOL!

I had to show this to my husband... He was so happy to see his friends. Jefferson is the 2nd guy. He got to know them all pretty well. His favorite place is the Red Frog Pub. I think this picture settled it for him.... Magic it is for our next cruise. LOL!

We LOVED Jefferson, Eric and the rest of the Red Frog Pub gang!! Not only did they work hard, but they contributed to the fun, relaxing atmosphere there. This was a real nice addition to our cruise experience. A huge PLUS for Carnival!

Catrin

Friday - Cozumel

This was our SEVENTH time to Cozumel in our 15 cruises... and we were not sad about this at all!! We absolutely love everything about this port. It is exciting, lively, cheap, welcoming and everything you would wish a port would be. I can understand why all the cruise-lines flood this place. They have figured out how to appeal to everyone and offer multiple excursions that can please anyone.

The past FOUR visits, we had gone to Paradise Beach. We had seen that beach grow from infancy and explode. They offer a nice day there, but to be honest with you, we wanted something different this time.

But we weren't quite ready for an adventure either!! So, after some research and tons of recommendations, we decided to give Mr. Sancho's a try. Steve and I had visited Mr. Sancho's in 1999, so we knew that we could not judge it from what we experienced 15 years ago (Which was a nice day, that I recall!). We tossed and turned about getting the all inclusive package. I am not a drinker (had One Funship Special and 2 Angry Orchard the entire cruise).... but the All Inclusive looked like it was still a great deal for us. We booked online - $50.00 adults, and less for the kids. I had seen the menu online and we knew that the kids would have no problem finding food and drinks to please them! We also pre-payed for the two kids to have activity bracelets for the water toys.

That morning, we had breakfast delivered again. Cereal and Pastry, and Juice. We knew that we would have lunch and snacks at the beach, so no need for a heavy breakfast!!

We wanted to be at the beach right at 9am, to have a pick of beach chairs and tables. With 5 ships in port, we knew Cozumel would be a busy day. We left the ship with no line, went through the flood of photographers and models dressed up .... and walked down the pier. This area is packed with shops of all types... jewelry, cheap tshirts, souveniers, etc. A great place just to shop all day!! There is also a Fat Tuesdays, Three Amigos and a few more bars here.

Everyone coming off the ship.. ready for a fantastic day.

a8b34a9e-155f-40ed-928b-2c1adc8661cc_zps220548af.jpg

80a15f20-282d-44f4-a85a-c67c4318e20d_zpsc82c3dc7.jpg

We walked straight through and walked to the end and grabbed a taxi. Taxi is $16 to Mr. Sanchos for 1-4 people. The taxi took us right there... and we were welcomed with a smile.

0a062af2-97dd-403e-9952-6d5ab3ba09d7_zps7eaa04be.jpg

4bdfadcb-b104-4436-9898-97963f3abb26_zpsb3b89749.jpg

We were asked to go check in and pay our balance. The total cost for the day was $175. We were then given a tour. The All Inclusive guests were in one area, and the pay-as you go guests another. We chose a table under the shade, (which I loved) and saved three beach chairs right in front of the table. You could also chose a few beds to hang out in, but those were taken up very quickly.

This was our view from the covered table... perfect.

c96d7571-f0ba-4a86-91c4-7713364eecf4_zps191b5683.jpg

We had a very happy boy on this excursion. Did he love the beach? YES. Did he love the food and all the Sprite he could drink? YES. But what did he love most of all??? FREE WIFI!!! I think he spent more time in the restaurant area that had the best reception!! And.. this was so crowded with everyone checking email and text messages!!

932c60fc-d117-41d6-8d36-135beec3be2c_zps93e40f69.jpg

The one waste of money and something we would change, is the water toy bracelet that we purchased. While Matthew had fun going up the iceberg and trampoline, they were just too difficult for Allison to get up on. They did play for a little bit, but would not have missed it if we told them they could not go on. Once Allison saw the POOL with the swim up bar, that is all she needed!! If you have kids under 10, I would consider this as it just was not worth it for us.

522ec07c-ec72-49b8-ba11-f502d7efa6eb_zps59a43f36.jpg

There was snorkeling equipment available (included in the cost).. just put a deposit that was refunded. Matt had a lot of fun snorkeling and saw some cool things, although not a lot.

fe9da270-2436-4d66-8c27-efecd4d2e904_zpsea593366.jpg

Near the beach, and right in our area, was the grill. Our waiter Gabriel, took great care of us, delivering drinks, lemonade, frozen drinks, sodas to us all day. We ate a lot of Nachos and cheese, Quesadillas, Shrimp, etc. In addition they have great French Fries.. which is always what I wanted to eat in Mexico!! You can order anything you want off the menu and they will always bring you more if you request. The bar had swings as seats, which everyone seemed to enjoy.

IMG_2060-Copy-Copy-Copy_zps4869d286.jpg

51f246b2-1cc0-4a9c-94b6-4b739ff25817_zps6eec1b00.jpg

For our family from RI, the best part was the SHADE. These weren't just beach umbrellas keeping us safe, they were wonderful huts over each table that created a wonderful environment. It kept us cool and provided a nice break from the sun.

3c4187de-90cc-43c9-91fb-8e9807b73715_zps9bf705b4.jpg

Some more pictures of the beach area.... it really was a lovely day. There were a lot of people here, but it never really felt crowded.

fe69e834-1e91-4487-abb5-b8012eaca1f5_zps6d439b4a.jpg

464d3767-affc-414f-89c7-f016bd55c7aa_zpsfdb82ef9.jpg

fb2ad38d-37a6-42a9-b425-b8f8addacc40_zpsd23cc840.jpg

412873cf-90b6-47fa-ab01-ecdbfc29b933_zps22024be5.jpg

But.. the highlight for Allison.... the POOL!! What is it with kids and pools? Here we are in Mexico at a lovely beach and she wanted to be in the pool most of the time. The pool was a lot of fun for all of us. Swim up bar, tables, kids playing catch with blow-up balls. So relaxing.

ef800783-5b6c-432c-94b3-32699c3232f3_zpsba81d384.jpg

There were also quite a few vendors and entertainers during the day. These gentlemen offered to play us a song at our table.. we did tip them a few dollars. There were also people with exotic birds, lizards, hennah tatoos, massages, parasailing, etc. A simple "no thanks" and they moved on. Not nearly as annoying as Roatan!!

8162cb58-994e-4a07-9aa4-7cd6a672bcaf_zps3e9fdf3c.jpg

A little more snorkeling for Allison and Matt.... and a few more snacks... and before we knew it our day at Mr. Sanchos was over.

aa02cbae-c3ad-466d-ad8c-dff0ff3f3608_zpsfe4aabc7.jpg

Was the All Inclusive "A Deal" for us? Probably not. But I would do it again in a heartbeat. Not to have to worry about prices, and letting the kids try new things and different drinks was a huge plus. Service was fantastic, the beach and area was immaculate and the food was very good. And the kids loved it too!!

25f7e4c7-1b57-4041-9e46-eaf3c729d5b2_zpsb8157725.jpg

2ac4d132-b0b9-4269-acd9-44c8feb76ee9_zps10d823f4.jpg

We made our way back to the ship for the last time.... we did a little shopping at the pier, but a day in the sun is exhausting! We did go into the Tshirt shops.... which are made for a teenage boy with a sick mind.. lol. Next time, i will shop before the beach!!

Before we knew it, it was time to leave Cozumel and head back to Galveston.

3caaa91c-807e-4720-addd-7d798d6d9ee7_zpsad01913c.jpg

8c747533-a08b-4e95-97bb-0308484098da_zpsb8aebf49.jpg

The line to get onboard was very long, if you can imagine. I bet most of the people get off in Cozumel and want to stay there as long as they can!! We did have one very drunk girl in front of us. People!! Control the liquor!! haha.

We got back and took showers... Steve and Allison rested while Matthew and I went down to the Lanai for some 1980's trivia!! We first played 1980's history trivia... that well... we did HORRIBLE on!! Then Matthew left and left me all alone to play 1980's music trivia. There were teams all over the Ocean Plaza.. and Me.. a team of 1. The game was a basic "Name that Tune" - 20 questions. And I got ALL of them right! (I made sure someone next to me corrected my paper)!

BUT>> there were three other teams who scored a perfect score as well. They had one person from each team come up and answer a tie breaker. And although I knew the answer, I did not raise my hand first, so I lost. But I was quite proud of myself that my team of ONE did as well as other teams that had three, four or even seven players!

After trivia, the ship was sailing again. Allison was sleeping and we got her up for dinner... "Can I go with the camp kids again?" - Sure! Once again, the dining room was not full. I bet there were many happy beach party people resting from the day in the sun.

Even the Red Frog Pub was quiet this night. But we did play Pub Trivia next to our new friends from Detroit and stayed about an hour.

This night was the Magic's Latin Fiesta deck party at 10pm and Mexican Buffet at 11:00. We picked up Allison, who was wide awake... and went to the party! They were giving out beads, whistles, and were ready to gather everyone for a fun hour of dancing, conga lines, and contests!! We did the Cha Cha Slide for the 100th time this cruise and all the other fun dances.

fb00f950-03d2-4185-a70b-dd644553469d_zps438955b3.jpg

330c9e94-f3ae-437e-be37-83dfd90dec64_zps2e11ed5e.jpg

I decided I had "Hit the wall" and I wanted to go read quietly in the room. We walked to check out the Mexican Buffet, that was not open yet, but people were taking pictures of the amazing set up.

64439750-fdde-489b-938d-5ec85d10e0a2_zps53d2a2f3.jpg

2ccc9395-39a8-4f43-bec9-26aea29fffeb_zps3e5134aa.jpg

Steve and Allison stayed for a while, then got some treats from the buffet and brought them back to the room.

Another wonderful day on the Magic!

Tomorrow would be our last day at Sea.....

Great review Cathy! We are cruising on Magic in October and one of your pics was very encouraging... Our cabin is on deck 12 Starboard side and every picture I've seen in Cozumel will have us staring out to sea. But in your pic we would be facing Cozumel! Nice to know there's a chance of a view!

Saturday.. last day at Sea....

I hate the last day full day before we head home. This is the day when you try to do everything you always wanted to do, eat what you want to eat, see what you need to see... and try to relax one last day.... and ohhh.... the worst thing ever.... PACK.

This day went by like a blur.. and to be honest with you, I do not remember a lot of it!!

I do know that we had our last breakfast on the Lido Deck and once again waited in a line for omelets. Great breakfast as usual. Lines never really got too long here, except at the omelet stations.

I read for a while, and Steve and Allison went into the pool. Then... Allison wanted to go back to the Skycourse one more time! Steve went back to the room to get the start the packing process....I once again got strapped in and this time, I followed her. Well, she no longer needed my help! So I bravely went around the course one time and got off. Allison kept going and going and eventually went all the way around four times!!

What a site to see her do this with the Gulf in the background and beautiful sky above.

71be8625-607c-4ce3-8c58-e544dbf2ab04_zps716984e1.jpg

d4b6721c-aef7-4272-9d12-a2a6755556d6_zpsb46e2327.jpg

ca843d40-02fc-400d-b909-86854b09c4b8_zpsfb7a5622.jpg

baec71af-eccb-450f-8f15-54e3ad5baedf_zps510ff212.jpg

bcc85611-5465-4ddf-b288-447c7972489f_zps24efe914.jpg

We also spent some time in the gift shops and deciding on pictures to purchase. We did not spend much in the shops at all, except Cherry On Top that had some Easter candy 75% off and a Tshirt on clearance. I did end up buying only four pictures.. they are so overpriced. Without our oldest Kyle with us, we did not have any family pictures taken on formal night. We will have to wait until he can go with us again!

I brought Allison to Camp for a few hours, and I had lunch at the Burrito Station for the first time. I enjoy this made to order wrap .. very simple of chicken and beef, lettuce cheese, corn and onions. No mexican stuff for me!! Steve by this time had gone back to the room and made a signifcant dent in the packing. We had done laundry four times and anything dirty at this time was going back dirty.

He then went to go hang out at the pool and ended up in the aft pool area, as they were playing games in the main pool. I spend the afternoon once again playing trivia (again a team by myself and getting 19/20 missing it by one).... and relaxing. Where was Matthew, you may think? Who knows. I do know that his group of friends once again had lunch together in the Italian restaurant. He really loved going to the Pasta bar for lunch!

In the late afternoon, we all gathered back in the room and we got dressed for the VIFP Gold, Platinum and Diamond Party (aka, the past guest party). This was held in the mainshow room at 4:30. There were plenty of drinks distributed (and fruit punch for Allison and me!)... but the food was rare and really not that good. James introduced the Carnival film and all the ships. We love to be silly and cheer for all the ships we have been on!! They also celebrated a couple who have been on over 60 cruises.. wow!!!

The party lasted an hour... and we stopped by the room and then went to the dining room for our final dinner. Overall, our dining staff was very good .. a really nice group of young people who want to grow with Carnival. I can see each moving up to head waiter!! I would rate this food as VERY GOOD this cruise. Except one night, where everything was just "off", I would also call the service VERY GOOD.

Coming Up... Final Night, Packing, Saying Goodbye and Flights home!!

Catrin

Great review Cathy! We are cruising on Magic in October and one of your pics was very encouraging... Our cabin is on deck 12 Starboard side and every picture I've seen in Cozumel will have us staring out to sea. But in your pic we would be facing Cozumel! Nice to know there's a chance of a view!

We were actually surprised that morning!!! We were the only Carnival ship in Cozumel that day, although there were five ships all together.

I can remember, in my first three trips to Cozumel, the ships used to stay until midnight. The folks running to the ship from Carlos and Charlies was worth the price of admission on its own!!! Now, leaving at 3:30 isn't as fun!!

Catrin

We tried to finish up our packing right after dinner so we could enjoy our last night. We were doing Self Assist, so no need to leave luggage outside the room, yet by leaving at 7am, we knew we did not want to scramble!

During the week, we were delivered a bottle of champagne and strawberries from the Cruise Director and John Heald. Nothing that I asked for but I sent him a note when we got on board! Since we really don't drink champagne and could not bring it on the plane, I brought it to the Red Frog Pub and gave it to the two couples from Detroit. We knew they would love it! They opened it right away and we all had a toast to a great week!

4f38f24c-523d-4332-a185-52e6422749ee_zps8613fbc1.jpg

One last round of Pub Trivia and we said goodbye to our friends... including the wonderful James Dunn and Louis!

4b7ff11e-ff02-419e-8013-fed2c80ee9c5_zps0248173d.jpg

We picked up Allison who said goodbye to her Camp Carnival friends and staff. She had such an amazing week and they did a great job with this age group.

One last Ice Cream, and we headed to the room.. where we finished our last minute packing. We also were treated to our favorite Towel Animal!!

4ff36f42-76c9-41ae-8287-e9c2c9304214_zps6daa812a.jpg

I ordered room service breakfast for 6:15am. Matt showed up early too... he had made tons of friends in Club 02 and received Facebook Contacts, Cell numbers, etc.

The next morning, I woke up very early to see us arrive in Galveston. No Fog this week and we would not have to worry about delay. Breakfast arrived right on time at 6:15 - simple Cereal, Pastry, Juice.. enough to get us started before our long day. At 7:00 we went down to the Northern Lights dining room for Platinum Self Assist. We waited there until released. We were one of the first families escorted off the ship at 7:30am. We made our way down to through the terminial and to Customs, where we waited to be processed. With no liquor, cigarettes or large souveniers, we were able to get right through!

We found ourselves outside the terminal before 8am!! We called our Driver Elias to let him know we were out earlier than expected! He arrived within 30minutes, greeting us with hugs as if he was a long time friend. What a wonderful man!! He drove us to Hobby, where we arrived more than three hours before our flight.

We tried to get an earlier flight, but everything was booked. (We could have booked at 10:55 flight, but that was risking it... we should have!!) So we waited until 1pm.. flew to Atlanta. We got stuck on the runway in Atlanta for over an hour due to storms.... finally arrived in Boston at 9pm. By the time we got our car and home.. it was 10:59 PM... now THAT is a LONG DAY!!!

5dd9aa68-402e-48c5-8214-f61b6e107f10_zps79357337.jpg

And.... I had to be back to work at 7am!!!

Our cruise was over... we were exhausted .. yet rested.... and so very happy!!

Coming Up.. FINAL THOUGHTS and Random Comments!!

Friday - Cozumel

This was our SEVENTH time to Cozumel in our 15 cruises... and we were not sad about this at all!! We absolutely love everything about this port.

We feel the same way. We're about to do our fourth cruise, and fourth visit to Cozumel, later this year and can't wait! We love the city and have had nothing but positive experiences with the locals, even the pushy ones in the store fronts. We've barely scratched the surface of things we want to do there.

Edited by Rudyard

Loving the review!

That did make for a very long day.

I do have a quick question. You mentioned Platinum Self Assist. I did not know that there was V.I.P. self assist. I do not recall ever seeing a mention of this. I know about the V.I.P. where they call zone 1 and I'm aware of self assist people getting off with early flights. But is that different if you are platinum?

Just curious.

Thanks in advance.

Really, really enjoyed your review. Cruising out of Texas is on my bucket list!

I would also love if you posted the name/number of the car service you used for future reference! Seems like he was very reliable!

Loving the review!

That did make for a very long day.

I do have a quick question. You mentioned Platinum Self Assist. I did not know that there was V.I.P. self assist. I do not recall ever seeing a mention of this. I know about the V.I.P. where they call zone 1 and I'm aware of self assist people getting off with early flights. But is that different if you are platinum?

Just curious.

Thanks in advance.

Hello.. yes, there is a Platinum Self assist. They have you gather in a lounge or dining room, then you are the first one's escorted off the ship... before the regular self assist and before the Zone 1 folks.

On the last three cruises, we did it this way. So much easier than searching for your luggage....and each time, we were off the ship by 8am.

Catrin

Really, really enjoyed your review. Cruising out of Texas is on my bucket list!

I would also love if you posted the name/number of the car service you used for future reference! Seems like he was very reliable!

I will post it tonight! His business card is in Steve's wallet.... will wait until we get home from work!!

thanks for reading!

catrin

Hello!

Thank you for posting this review. I can tell your family had a great time. like you, I find Cozumel to be a port that I have enjoyed over and over again!

I have a question about laundry! In the past I have been afraid to send my clothes out because I have heard their washing and drying process is harsh. Do you find any issues with bleach spots, stains, shrinkage, etc?

Thanks!