Bermuda Water

jfried8

We are leaving on the Dawn Friday. I will be interested in whether NCL ever addresses this issue with passengers on board. If they do not, I am going to ask why.

Safe to swim or no? I'm hearing nothing definitive.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

The last announcement that I've seen from the Bermuda government was that it was safe to go in the water - http://bermudasun.bm/Content/NEWS/News/Article/Minister--Bermuda-s-beaches-are-safe/24/270/76466

SBtS

When I replied, I was relying on what I had seen in the local newspapers; however, on the Bermuda government site, they have been posting the test results to a table. Below is a screen shot of the table. The table is available as a pdf file here: http://www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_19980_267_1750_43/http%3B/ptpublisher.gov.bm%3B7087/publishedcontent/publish/ministry_of_health_and_family_services/new_health/seawater_monitoring/seawater_monitoring_2014_as_of_7th_may.pdf

Also, there is a summarized version with the simple Yes or No if the water meets the EPA standards, and that is located here: http://www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt?open=512&objID=267&&PageID=1750&activetab=TabCTRL_DropDownTabsGovernment1&mode=2&in_hi_userid=2&cached=true

TestTable.jpg

SBtS

Thank you SBtS,

I am surprised that Snorkel park is constantly higher than the other beaches.

An if I remember correctly Tobacco Bay has a sewer "reject" pipe 2 miles out...so not surprised of a high count there.

All in all the results are good...so no worry there I guess :)

I don't know if I'm interpreting this right? When looking at, say Horseshoe Bay from the ocean, would you consider East the area further away from the entrance point of the beach? The same for Elbow Beach, is East considered closest to Grape Bay?

How are they "good"? Can you explain? I see 104 or even 22 instances and want to gag. What am I not understanding correctly?

104 was reading at Tobacco Bay on 4/24/14,

5 days later on 4/29/14, the reading had declined to 1,

and on 5/1/14 and 5/6/14, the reading was 0.

0 is an acceptable according to EPA guidelines.

My interpretation is the lower the number, the better, and the numbers are not cumulative plus that is one reading at one Bermuda beach.

SBtS

If I am reading this right, anything lower than 104 is ok ( see the details a the bottom of the page ).

I would love to compare the numbers with the beach at Coney Island or Rockaway beach or even my local beach here...my get some nasty surprise :(

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

If I am reading this right, anything lower than 104 is ok ( see the details a the bottom of the page ).

I would love to compare the numbers with the beach at Coney Island or Rockaway beach or even my local beach here...my get some nasty surprise :(

The readings on the posted table are a point in time, and are not cumulative; they are history. What would matter to me is yesterday's reading. JMHO

SBtS

I am with you on this,

From what I have been reading on this subject, I am not that concern about it. If you put anything under the microscope, you will find something...

The problem is that WHEN the quality of the water is not good it is in fact...bad... and then clears fast.

I agree that what would ( will ) matter before my cruise is the water quality in the past couple of days.

I will make sure I swim with my mouth closed ;)

What continues to bother me is that they are only testing twice per week. If, for example, they test on Monday and Friday, and the readings on Monday are satisfactory, but the water gets polluted on Tuesday but clears up sufficiently by Friday so that the next test is satisfactory, everyone who went in the water on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday may have unknowingly been exposed to unacceptable levels of bacteria.

They really should be testing every day during the beach-going season.

FYI, here's the latest from the government. They want to enforce the grease disposal rules on restaurants. Better than doing nothing, but even that won't take effect until July, and they admit construction of a new sewage treatment plant would take years:

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20140510/NEWS07/140519985

I don't care about Coney Island or Rockaway Beach because I am not going there. I am going to Bermuda.

I don't think anything lower than 104 is Ok. For instance I don't think I would want to go if it was 103....102....101....Personaly I would want it to be below 10.

My understanding is that only the South Shore water is impacted. If you're afraid of the water, I'd just avoid those.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Your understanding is wrong. The reading of 104, which was the highest reading reported was at Tobacco Bay. That is not on the South Shore!!! Second highest was at Snorkel Park, 79, not on the South Shore! Not that I would go to that dump of a beach anyway. My favorite beach, Horseshoe, which is on the South Shore, comes out pretty good. I have no concern about the readings from Horseshoe.

Edited by Charles4515

Your understanding is wrong. The reading of 104, which was the highest reading reported was at Tobacco Bay. That is not on the South Shore!!! Second highest was at Snorkel Park, 79, not on the South Shore! Not that I would go to that dump of a beach anyway. My favorite beach, Horseshoe, which is on the South Shore, comes out pretty good. I have no concern about the readings from Horseshoe.

Clearly. Thanks for correcting me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Clearly. Thanks for correcting me.

I probably sounded too harsh. It is not directed at you. I will be in Bermuda again in June and I am pretty upset about the sewage situation. Particularly since I have been going to those beaches for years, snorkeling at Tobacco Bay and swimming at Horseshoe without an understanding of the health risks. I never got an illness but still I don't want to put my health at risk in the future. The South Shore pink sand beaches look beautiful and there are lots of Parrot and other fish at Tobacco Bay under the water.......but bacteria are an unseen danger.

Edited by Charles4515

Please let us know your experiences in this matter when you return from your cruise, Winston Wolf. Carol

Will do. We're not really beach people but I'll let you all know what I hear. The only time I plan to be in the water is for the Hartley's Helmet Dive, which is well off-shore so I'm not concerned about it.

Will do. We're not really beach people but I'll let you all know what I hear. The only time I plan to be in the water is for the Hartley's Helmet Dive, which is well off-shore so I'm not concerned about it.

Thanks very much and have a great cruise.

• 2 weeks later...