Why does RCL leave San Juan, PR at 2:00?

Independence docks in SJ from 8 am to 5 pm on Nov 12th. But that is followed by a sea day.

She is then in port 7 am to 2 pm on Nov 27th followed by a day at Labadee.

So it seems that the correct answer is the time required to sail San Juan -> Labadee coupled with RCL's desire for guests to have the "full day experience" :p at Labadee.

Interesting that Indy arrives at Labadee at 10:00 while Explorer arrives at 9:00. Is Indy's speed lower than Explorer's?

I don't get your point. Indy and Explorer are arriving at Labadee from two different departure ports.

I would very much prefer to leave SJU at 5 and get to Labadee at 11.

But of course the reason RCL prefers guests to spend a full day at Labadee is perfectly understandable.

If they did that, you wouldn't be getting lunch there a lunch time

I don't get your point. Indy and Explorer are arriving at Labadee from two different departure ports.

They both arrive in Labadee after a 2:00 departure from SJ the previous day. Explorer arrives 9:00 Oct 29th after departing SJ Oct 28th. Indy arrives 10:00 Nov 28th after departing SJ Nov 27th.

Edited by InsideCruiser

Yes, but that only works if you are taking a cruise hat originates in San Juan. It is pretty hard to arrive there two days early for a cruise that starts in Ft. Lauderdale!:eek:

OK Ocean...I think that I missed that part. Thanks for the clarification...:o

Just done San Juan twice on the Adventure.

7 day cruise we arrived early and left at 2pm then the next week on a 14 dy cruise we arrived at 2pm then left at 9pm.

Apr 17th Adventure left SJ at 1:00 pm to get to Labadee at 8:00 the next morning.

Now I'm grateful we're not leaving earlier than 2:00 pm!

Edited by InsideCruiser

PR is a one day port visit on our cruise. Not embarkation.

Yes I realized that. I just wanted to point out that I don't think being there such a short time you would be able to see all the beauty of the rain forest. Maybe some time if you embark from SJ you could see more of it either pre cruise or post cruise.:)

They both arrive in Labadee after a 2:00 departure from SJ the previous day. Explorer arrives 9:00 Oct 29th after departing SJ Oct 28th. Indy arrives 10:00 Nov 28th after departing SJ Nov 27th.

I didn't realize that Explorer was going to Labadee from San Juan. The last time that we were there on Indy, Explorer was coming from Bayonne but they never made it there because of a storm off of the East coast. My mistake. :o

Apr 17th Adventure left SJ at 1:00 pm to get to Labadee at 8:00 the next morning.

Now I'm grateful we're not leaving earlier than 2:00 pm!

Oh dear me so sorry I was an hour out on our departure, well at least i did not miss the ship :)

I agree with one of the other posters that you probably won't have adequate time to really enjoy the rainforest. For our trip, we left at 9 am and didn't get back until around 6pm. We stopped for about 1 1/2 at Luquillo Beach also.

It took us around an hour or more to get back into port due to traffic and such. I would allow a minimum of an hour and a half to be safe. If your departure is at 2:00 pm, they will probably request that you be back onboard by 1:30.

I've seen some half-day tours that go there, but personally, I think you will be pushed for time.

I have lots of pictures included in my review of the Jewel of the Seas. We really enjoyed our trip there

Edited by MDSue

The last time I did San Juan on the Indy we left SJ at 2PM as well with an 11AM arrival at Labadee. The ship also made a minor extra stop to pick up a few people from Puerto Rico who had failed their seamanship class... they were clinging to an overturned boat! Using the 500 mile figure and a 21 hour run to Labadee, works out to be fairly close to the top cruising speed of this class (and Voyager class as well). I really don't see how they could change the times to allow longer in San Juan without shortening the already fairly short stay in Labadee. Looks to me the only other option would be to drop one of the ports which may not be pleasing to some.

I was on that sailing and have some good pics in my review

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

It took us around an hour or more to get back into port due to traffic and such. I would allow a minimum of an hour and a half to be safe. If your departure is at 2:00 pm, they will probably request that you be back onboard by 1:30.

I've seen some half-day tours that go there, but personally, I think you will be pushed for time.

We're going to give it a shot.

I think your time frame is reasonable. 1:30 all aboard, leaving the rain forest by noon gives us 1 1/2 hours.

Hertz right across from the pier opens at 7:00 so we should have 4 hours in the rain forest.

Where did you come up with that one, LOL?

The reason they leave at 2PM is because the next port Labadee, is quite a ways away. Over 400 miles. RCL allows 18 hrs to get there. That 18 hrs includes time to get out of port. Would you like to leave SJU at 5 and get to Labadee at 11?

Yes !!!!

I think your time frame is reasonable. 1:30 all aboard, leaving the rain forest by noon gives us 1 1/2 hours.

Hertz right across from the pier opens at 7:00 so we should have 4 hours in the rain forest.

Enjoy!:)

You have to be really careful. Depending on yhe day of the week traffic can be really really bad, soecially if it rains. You also have to allow time to return thw rental car. I'm from Puerto Rico, and I live 10 minutes south of San Juan, and if it is not on a weekend I would never risk leaving El Yunque at noon to be in San Juan ar 1:30. Under normal conditions, the trip is about 50 minutes (many traffic lights after the highway). So my humble advise is that if you are driving there, leave El Yunque at least 11:30.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think the early departure is just because of re-fueling. Fuel is probably cheaper in San Juan. I think most ships do the same thing; fuel up and then leave!

I think the early departure is just because of re-fueling. Fuel is probably cheaper in San Juan. I think most ships do the same thing; fuel up and then leave!

That's right up there with the tide theory.