Which pier in San Juan?

I thought I understood the pier situation in SJ. Embarkation is at Pan Am and port call is at Old San Juan. We were on Indy two weeks ago and were at OSJ. We've booked AOTS out of San Juan next May and figured it would be Pan Am. In doing some research on hotels in Old San Juan for next year, reviewers talk about it being a short downhill walk to the pier, so I'm more than a little confused. For anyone who had cruised AOTS recently, which pier is it? Thanks.

You'll board over at Pan American pier..so there are no hotels close to that area, except the Sheraton San Juan (near the convention center, as opposed to the one in OSJ)

Other lines, such as Carnival,board in OSJ

Edited by megr1125

I thought I understood the pier situation in SJ. Embarkation is at Pan Am and port call is at Old San Juan. We were on Indy two weeks ago and were at OSJ. We've booked AOTS out of San Juan next May and figured it would be Pan Am. In doing some research on hotels in Old San Juan for next year, reviewers talk about it being a short downhill walk to the pier, so I'm more than a little confused. For anyone who had cruised AOTS recently, which pier is it? Thanks.

Carnival ships that start in San Juan usually depart from OSJ but RCI, X, and Princess all leave from Pan Am

Steve

We went on the Jewell out of San Juan 2 weeks ago did go from Pan Am Pier was told by a taxi driver that RCI goes from that side as it is a lot cheaper for them (apparently they have to pay a docking fee}

Also overheard a couple say they had stayed at the Sheraton San Juan and wouldn't stay there next time as there really wasn't anything to do around that area they would stay "in Town"

The closest hotel to the Pan Am pier is Sheraton Convention Center. There is also a Sheraton at Old San Juan, so you have to make sure you have the correct hotel. However, there is nothing to do at the Sheraton convention hotel. It is pretty far from the action, so you may want to stay at Old San Juan or Condado, and the next day take a taxi to the pier. It would be a 10-15 minutes drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We stayed at the Intercontinental when we sailed out of SanJuan. Had a very nice pool area, walking distance to restaurants, and they were doing a mutil- million dollar Reno to the rooms 2 years ago.

Maybe a 15-20 minute cab ride to port.

There is nothing by the convention center..nor that hotel. But for just a place to sleep, gamble, eat in the hotel...I loved it. Great staff and very comfortable. Bad for doing stuff, but usually a cheaper option....

I liked the Conrad (? need coffee ..oops) as well

Sent from my Galaxy S3, somewhere in the galaxy

Can you do some sightseeings once you get on the ship?

Yes, you can leave the ship, take a taxi to Old San Juan, and walk around for a few hours. Just be back by all aboard time, which will be posted at the ship exit.

We were on the Adventure of the Seas in December round trip from San Juan. We boarded and disembarked at the Pan Am pier.

A little tip: when you disembark the ship get a porter to help with your baggage. It's really helps a lot. He will also assist you in taking your luggage out to the cabs that are waiting outside the terminal.

Happy cruising!