NAVIGATOR May 4-10,2014 REVIEW w/lots of photos

Now I'm settled enough to focus on the Quantum. Hoopster, so sorry that we will be embarking while you disembark.:( But hopefully our paths will cross again.

YES, small world!! Wouldn't it be something if you end up seeing me come out of the terminal as you're preparing to go in? By the way, have you gone through the dining and entertainment mess yet with trying to book venues? I've done the best I could (booked 7 of my 11 nights for dinner, and all entertainment so far) but I understand RCL is holding back many time slots and tables until on board... can you imagine the line-ups and time it will take for dining officers to sit with and book each individual couple as they approach? I think that's a HUGE mistake and could be a disaster unless they fix the web issues and allow more bookings on-line.

I DO remember that we worried that you would order ALL the cannoli and not leave any for us!

You're lucky as hell that I was a Sabor the night before :rolleyes::p

It's been SO hard to get back to 'real life'!!!

DITTO!!!! Ugh... :D

We are going on our first RCCL cruise without our kids for our anniversary next year. We have cruised only on Disney before. We are using this cruise just as a break and to also see if RCL is a good choice for our family since they cruise out of Texas and Disney wasn't here for long.

The ship looks awesome and I lobed that someone posted the corner aft stateroom. We have the one above it I think on deck 9.

Anyway some questions...

Do you know if the discount for three restaurants can be used for lunch or dinner or is it just dinner?

Did the Navigator have freestyle machines?

How much axe the drinks in Sabor? I saw you posted you had some.

Why did you not like the solarium?

We haven't done anything as a couple for so long what were your favorite couples activities?

Hi uumgood... great ship for kids and families, they'll have tons to do, and so will you! A corner aft balcony will be so sweet, lucky you :)

• I don't think they had the 20% off as an OBC if you book 3 specialty dining promo out yet when we got on board?? If they did, I missed it
  • I don't drink soda at all, but I think the answer is "no" to freestyle machines, you have to go up to the bar or have a server bring to you?
  • The regular strawberry Marg GF had was $6.50 I think... my special one was $12.
  • I've been on all classes of RCL ships. This particular Solarium I hated. IT was very stark, as if they removed everything from it during the refurb and did not bring anything back.... just stone, and a little pool. Nothing else. Google some pics of RCL Solariums and you'll see various ships and what they look like.
  • Couples activities?? EVERYTHING!!! Seriously, everything. Make the cruise what you want it to be... if you want to sit in a chair all 7 days to unwind that's great! If you want to enter every single contest that's also great... maybe you and your spouse should consider participating in the Love & Masrriage game show :D:p

Wonderful pics and great review .. we are on the Navigator in 2 weeks ... thanks for all the hints and things to do .. perfect timing for us .. i now am having a hard time waiting ... heheh wanta pack right now ...

thanks again .. great thread :)

Edited by susanseaside

Hi uumgood... great ship for kids and families, they'll have tons to do, and so will you! A corner aft balcony will be so sweet, lucky you :)

• I don't think they had the 20% off as an OBC if you book 3 specialty dining promo out yet when we got on board?? If they did, I missed it
  • I don't drink soda at all, but I think the answer is "no" to freestyle machines, you have to go up to the bar or have a server bring to you?
  • The regular strawberry Marg GF had was $6.50 I think... my special one was $12.
  • I've been on all classes of RCL ships. This particular Solarium I hated. IT was very stark, as if they removed everything from it during the refurb and did not bring anything back.... just stone, and a little pool. Nothing else. Google some pics of RCL Solariums and you'll see various ships and what they look like.
  • Couples activities?? EVERYTHING!!! Seriously, everything. Make the cruise what you want it to be... if you want to sit in a chair all 7 days to unwind that's great! If you want to enter every single contest that's also great... maybe you and your spouse should consider participating in the Love & Masrriage game show :D:p

Thanks so much for answering!

What is the love and marriage game show?

I can see why the solarium was drab thanks for explaining. I wonder if they will fix this?

Thanks so much for answering!

What is the love and marriage game show?

I can see why the solarium was drab thanks for explaining. I wonder if they will fix this?

I didn't attend the Love & Marriage game (or any of the shows except for Quest) on this cruise, but essentially it is 'The Newlywed Game' and is held in the Theater. The Cruise Director picks a newlywed couple, a couple married 20-30 years, and the oldest married couple that can still make it to the stage:p. It is pretty standardized as to the format and the questions (typical stuff like 'where's the most unusual place you made whoopee [i loved the Jamaican couple married for 60+ yrs on a previous cruise that needed an explanation of what that meant!]). Like the Quest, the mix of Cruise Director and selected couples will make the different between howling with laughter or just and OK time.

Hoopster, since you attended it, you should add your 2 cents!

Wonderful photos thanks for posting,

I hope that they will add some "life" to the solarium, I love going there to relax. The pictures of the Nav really look bad especially when compared to other ships.

I'll add my 2 cents about the Solarium, since that is where we spent our pool, hot tub, napping, tanning time. Since we're creatures of habit, the Solarium is always our first choice. We usually avoid the noise and activity of the men's sexy legs and bellyflop contest (although so sad we missed Hoopster's flop!), so opt for the Solarium.

I don't think the Voyager class Solarium was ever as nice as the earlier or later class ships. However, the walkways to enter the area for the new Deck 12 cabins , although necessary, closes the space up a bit, which wouldn't have been that bad, but I think the designers reaction to that was to take down anything with height. A signature feature of the Royal Caribbean Solariums are the columns and foliage, and taking those pieces away probably wasn't the best decision.

That said, we hung out there a lot anyway, and except for one experience there, enjoyed it.

OK, warning - I have the need to spout off now! After 6 days of pleasant, friendly people on the ship and the ports, we had our only bad people experience on the afternoon of the last day at sea.

I believe most people use the Solarium as a quiet, peaceful alternative to the activeness of the main pool and hot tubs. On this last day, there were several adults (probably between 30's - 50's) sitting on the edges of the pool, drinking heavily and getting louder.

We noticed that most of them were drinking Red Stripe beer, but the server from the Solarium Pool Bar was serving it to them in the bottles. I said, oh, they've got to be plastic since you're not allowed to have glass near the pool, but no, they were glass. We saw somebody say something to the 'Pool Patrol', and he came over, said something to them and they laughed at him. The Pool Patrol brought plastic cups over to them and asked them to pour their beer into the cup. We saw one guy HIDE his glass bottle so he didn't have to do so. The next round of beers, the bartender served them AGAIN all glass bottles. This time DH found the Pool Patrol and asked why the bartenders were even allowed to serve this by the pool. Again, he came over, but it turned into a game with the group getting drunker and louder by the pool. If that glass broke in the pool - they'd have to shut the whole thing down and drain it, or if it broke on the tile floor with people walking around barefoot???

We were glad to see Security finally brought over - but what did he do? Told the bar staff AGAIN to not serve the bottles, talked at the drunks a bit (while one guy was very nasty and belligerent to him), poured their beer into the cups FOR them, and cleared the empties for them. I was really expecting him to remove this one guy in particular. Of course we've seen drunk people on Royal Caribbean ships, and we've been known to wear name tags 'If found please return to cabin xxxx', so we aren't all straight-laced, but to me that went beyond appropriate public space behavior, and I was very disappointed that the staff didn't address it as such.

I'm glad I got that out of my system. I did bring that up in my survey (FYI, you no longer get the paper survey in the cabins on the last night - they are emailed to you as soon as the cruise is over.)

Thanks so much for the review Hoopster! And for your input too, delacruz.

We have booked a cruise on the Navigator for Nov. 2015. Great deal on an aft balcony with the BOGOHO sale. It will be our first RC cruise. We were in Galveston on the Carnival Magic in April and seeing the Navigator made us want to cruise on her as well.

It looks like a beautiful ship with lots to do. But waiting 17 months is going to be tough.

Wonderful pics and great review .. we are on the Navigator in 2 weeks ... thanks for all the hints and things to do .. perfect timing for us .. i now am having a hard time waiting ... heheh wanta pack right now ...

thanks again .. great thread :)

I have started packing. LOL :D

I didn't attend the Love & Marriage game (or any of the shows except for Quest) on this cruise, but essentially it is 'The Newlywed Game' and is held in the Theater. The Cruise Director picks a newlywed couple, a couple married 20-30 years, and the oldest married couple that can still make it to the stage:p. It is pretty standardized as to the format and the questions (typical stuff like 'where's the most unusual place you made whoopee [i loved the Jamaican couple married for 60+ yrs on a previous cruise that needed an explanation of what that meant!]). Like the Quest, the mix of Cruise Director and selected couples will make the different between howling with laughter or just and OK time.

Hoopster, since you attended it, you should add your 2 cents!

I'll add my 2 cents about the Solarium, since that is where we spent our pool, hot tub, napping, tanning time. Since we're creatures of habit, the Solarium is always our first choice. We usually avoid the noise and activity of the men's sexy legs and bellyflop contest (although so sad we missed Hoopster's flop!), so opt for the Solarium.

I don't think the Voyager class Solarium was ever as nice as the earlier or later class ships. However, the walkways to enter the area for the new Deck 12 cabins , although necessary, closes the space up a bit, which wouldn't have been that bad, but I think the designers reaction to that was to take down anything with height. A signature feature of the Royal Caribbean Solariums are the columns and foliage, and taking those pieces away probably wasn't the best decision.

That said, we hung out there a lot anyway, and except for one experience there, enjoyed it.

OK, warning - I have the need to spout off now! After 6 days of pleasant, friendly people on the ship and the ports, we had our only bad people experience on the afternoon of the last day at sea.

I believe most people use the Solarium as a quiet, peaceful alternative to the activeness of the main pool and hot tubs. On this last day, there were several adults (probably between 30's - 50's) sitting on the edges of the pool, drinking heavily and getting louder.

We noticed that most of them were drinking Red Stripe beer, but the server from the Solarium Pool Bar was serving it to them in the bottles. I said, oh, they've got to be plastic since you're not allowed to have glass near the pool, but no, they were glass. We saw somebody say something to the 'Pool Patrol', and he came over, said something to them and they laughed at him. The Pool Patrol brought plastic cups over to them and asked them to pour their beer into the cup. We saw one guy HIDE his glass bottle so he didn't have to do so. The next round of beers, the bartender served them AGAIN all glass bottles. This time DH found the Pool Patrol and asked why the bartenders were even allowed to serve this by the pool. Again, he came over, but it turned into a game with the group getting drunker and louder by the pool. If that glass broke in the pool - they'd have to shut the whole thing down and drain it, or if it broke on the tile floor with people walking around barefoot???

We were glad to see Security finally brought over - but what did he do? Told the bar staff AGAIN to not serve the bottles, talked at the drunks a bit (while one guy was very nasty and belligerent to him), poured their beer into the cups FOR them, and cleared the empties for them. I was really expecting him to remove this one guy in particular. Of course we've seen drunk people on Royal Caribbean ships, and we've been known to wear name tags 'If found please return to cabin xxxx', so we aren't all straight-laced, but to me that went beyond appropriate public space behavior, and I was very disappointed that the staff didn't address it as such.

I'm glad I got that out of my system. I did bring that up in my survey (FYI, you no longer get the paper survey in the cabins on the last night - they are emailed to you as soon as the cruise is over.)

This as they say is an "accident waiting to happen." The wait staff should be penalized and the belligerent pax removed from the pool area. Other pax should not have to be subjected to this situation.

Hoopster, Ya sure you are from YVR? You write like a Texan! Was on the NOS with you, and plan on the Nov 9 cruise, have expectations on TRYING to duplicate the great photos you have shared. Judi & Peggy put together an excellent MM & CC. Even with my walker, was able to enjoy all. Looking forward to your reviews, and photos, on your future cruises.

Charley

Thank you very much for your candid and thorough review. My family and I will board Navigator this Summer, and we are more excited than ever about what we will find.

Thank you, especially, for seeking out and reporting your great tips!

D

Great photos! Thank you thank you

Not bad form if I do say so myself, hehe.... they burned me on the scoring....plenty of people giving me 4's and 5's but the Activcity Guy had this thing rigged for the big 330lb guy to win :rolleyes::p

Right back at'ya

DSC06743_zps1951f210.jpg

DSC06742_zps11a8e100.jpg[/url]

kw totally scored one of the best deals on this cruise, what, about 3 weeks out kw?? This corner aft balcony came avail at a super cheap price and she nabbed it. Good for you!! Say, I think you mentioned in an earlier post you might do a review... are you?

What is the cabin # of this balcony? Sailing on the Nav in Oct.... would love THIS balcony!

THANKS!!

What is the cabin # of this balcony? Sailing on the Nav in Oct.... would love THIS balcony!

THANKS!!

That was our balcony. It is cabin # 8390. It is a great balcony. The room is nice and quite. It is just a LONG walk from the elevators.