NAVIGATOR May 4-10,2014 REVIEW w/lots of photos

Terrific review... I particularly appreciated the pre- and post-cruise activity descriptions, and the port info as well!

Great pictures throughout, and VERY good critique of the flaws in the redesign... your later post comparing different solariums was truly eye-opening... and the clear waste of space of that upper deck is disturbing. How about an outdoor eating venue of some sort to draw some traffic? Shuffleboard? Anything!

Having sailed both Mariner and Explorer in this class, it was very interesting to see the revitalization aspects: the promenade looked clear and bright and light compared to what I've seen on the other two ships... I'm a little disturbed to hear the Schooner Bar wasn't "refreshed" at all (though I'm glad it wasn't redesigned)... and HOW can they rename the Viking Crown Lounge?!?!? That's the SIGNATURE space on ALL RCI ships!!!???!!!

I'm never a big fan of turning previously for-all spaces into for-pay spaces (e.g., the new restaurants, the floor-to-ceiling window private cabins, etc.) -- but your descriptions have changed my mind a bit. The only problem: I love meeting new people at my fixed dining, and I don't really like the idea of running around to different restaurants on a cruise... I can do that on a land trip!! That's just me, though, and I'm glad the option is there for those who like to do so... I just worry that everything will be Quantum-ized and there will be no more MDR for those of us who love that experience.

I appreciated your in-depth descriptions of the meals, the activities, the tours, the revitalization, etc. Just a terrific review, thanks so much for sharing!! Glad to hear you made (new) good friends. Cruising is such a blast!:)

Hoopster, Ya sure you are from YVR? You write like a Texan! Was on the NOS with you, and plan on the Nov 9 cruise, have expectations on TRYING to duplicate the great photos you have shared. Judi & Peggy put together an excellent MM & CC. Even with my walker, was able to enjoy all. Looking forward to your reviews, and photos, on your future cruises.

Charley

Pleasure meeting you Charlie, and appreciate you sharing your stateroom for the cabin crawl :)

Much respect to you my friend... I'm pretty sure I saw you slowly make your way up the Cosmopolitan Lounge nightclub ramp one night and you parked yourself against the wall with your walker beside the busy dance floor... and there you were bopping your head to the dance music just enjoying yourself!! :p Loved it:D

That was our balcony. It is cabin # 8390. It is a great balcony. The room is nice and quite. It is just a LONG walk from the elevators.

Awesome! Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Pleasure meeting you Charlie, and appreciate you sharing your stateroom for the cabin crawl :)

Much respect to you my friend... I'm pretty sure I saw you slowly make your way up the Cosmopolitan Lounge nightclub ramp one night and you parked yourself against the wall with your walker beside the busy dance floor... and there you were bopping your head to the dance music just enjoying yourself!! :p Loved it:D

Yep, that was me.;)

Thank you, Hoopster95, for your detailed pictorial review! We were on the fence as to which Caribbean cruise to book for our first venture down south. Your review convinced us that this was the cruise for us!

We're booked for next year (with maybe one different port, I believe). I will be reviewing this thread in the months preceding our trip, I'm sure.

It's our first time with RCI as well. They should give you some OBC or something :)

Thanks, again!

THANK YOU for the great review. Especially all the pictures. We are leaving out on Navigator this weekend (5/25) and can't wait. We are flying in on Saturday and spending the day at Johnson Space Center NASA so I really enjoyed those pictures too.

Forgive the interruption, but....Hanna, we're on the 3-5-16 Navigator too. The roll call has started if you would like to say hello.

Thanks for the information, I will have to stop in. Looking forward to this cruise!

It is room 8390. The balcony was really nice. Often times you could position the lounge chair to lay in the sun, or you could usually find some shade too. It was also a very quiet room. Really the only problem with it is that it is so far from the elevators.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kwbound, do you have pictures you could share of the inside of that corner aft? The door arrangement is a little different from what I expected, and I am curious about other windows in the cabin. Considering trying for one of these on a cruise next year....thanks for any info/pics you can share!

kwbound, do you have pictures you could share of the inside of that corner aft? The door arrangement is a little different from what I expected, and I am curious about other windows in the cabin. Considering trying for one of these on a cruise next year....thanks for any info/pics you can share!

No, sorry - I didn't take any photos inside the cabin. The only window was the square window on the top half of the balcony door, which was a regular door that opened outwards. We rather liked that. The room was nice and dark for sleeping.

• 4 weeks later...
Thank you, Hoopster95, for your detailed pictorial review! We were on the fence as to which Caribbean cruise to book for our first venture down south. Your review convinced us that this was the cruise for us!

We're booked for next year (with maybe one different port, I believe). I will be reviewing this thread in the months preceding our trip, I'm sure.

It's our first time with RCI as well. They should give you some OBC or something :)

Thanks, again!

Melinda,

Can't believe you are here on the NOS review! I have been reading your review on the Solstice out of Seattle to Alaska. We leave on the Solstice on July 11 for a B2B, then we are home for a week before we do the NOS out of Galveston. Your Solstice review is fabulous!

This review of the Navigator is fabulous too! Thanks to both of you for reporting back. It really helps with the planning.

BTW, make sure the Southern Caribbean is on your list. Sailing out of San Juan is wonderful! Then there's Europe!! Oh no, you've got me started! I'm looking forward to reading many more reviews from you in the future.

Happy Sailing,

Ginny in Houston

• 2 weeks later...
Great photos! Thank you thank you

Not bad form if I do say so myself, hehe.... they burned me on the scoring....plenty of people giving me 4's and 5's but the Activcity Guy had this thing rigged for the big 330lb guy to win :rolleyes::p

Right back at'ya

DSC06743_zps1951f210.jpg

DSC06742_zps11a8e100.jpg[/url]

kw totally scored one of the best deals on this cruise, what, about 3 weeks out kw?? This corner aft balcony came avail at a super cheap price and she nabbed it. Good for you!! Say, I think you mentioned in an earlier post you might do a review... are you?

What is this cabin number? I want to watch for this :)

What is this cabin number? I want to watch for this :)

It was cabin 8390. It was a great cabin and balcony. Just be aware that it is a LONG walk from the elevators.

This is the best, most detailed cruise review I've ever read - and so helpful! We're sailing on the Navigator in a few weeks, our sixth cruise and fourth with RCCL, and boy, if I thought I was excited before....so many great tips in your review! I will be waving it under my husband's nose and saying we HAVE to go to Sabor (we're from California so I kinda feel the way you do about Asian food, but I think a cucumber-jalapeno margarita is not to be missed)

This is the best, most detailed cruise review I've ever read - and so helpful! We're sailing on the Navigator in a few weeks, our sixth cruise and fourth with RCCL, and boy, if I thought I was excited before....so many great tips in your review! I will be waving it under my husband's nose and saying we HAVE to go to Sabor (we're from California so I kinda feel the way you do about Asian food, but I think a cucumber-jalapeno margarita is not to be missed)

Wow, very kind words, thank you :) I'm flattered :D

We got back to the terminal at about 12:15pm thinking there'd be a ton of cruisers getting there at the same time, but that wasn't the case. We breezed through security and check-in, total probably less than 15 minutes. I just love that moment of going up the escalator and onto the gangway, looking at the ship and hearing the "bong", "bong", "bongs" ahead of me as sea-pass cards are read on the machine.

So it's on to the ship and my normal routine whenever I first get on, and that is to go check out and take pictures of almost everything I can that first afternoon before it gets busy during the week! What I'll do now is post a bunch of photos of the ship itself with short descriptions as needed. I'll have more ship pictures on several other days as well to share with you.

Let's get started.... Here you go!

DSC06678_zpsa93b57c7.jpg

DSC06463_zps8066f63d.jpg

DSC06467_zps41bfd2b5.jpg

DSC06470_zps82f27052.jpg

The Metropolis Theatre was closed so I did not get interior pictures today as I normally do of the theatre on day 1. I'll have some for you at a later day.

DSC06481_zps7199ce7c.jpg

What did you think of the redone promenade

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...