Onboard Eclipse Now. Big cutback in Classic Package Inclusions!

kevinyork

As the OP who posted the copies of the reduced Classic Package inclusions I thought I would update you as we departed Eclipse today.

I had limited wifi so didnt see all that was being posted nor any Facebook activity however I did see that they effectively reverted to the original Classic inclusions after a few days.

I have to say this was not evident onboard at all. No one on the Classic package was aware that they had access to more items than the A4 sheet I posted despite Celebrity posting an extended list on here and as the cruise drew close to an end many still didnt know about the original truncated list of what they could order within their package which was available at Guest Relations from day one.

The list X published on here showing the knee jerk changes back to effectively what they had a couple of weeks before our cruise, whilst more inclusive, doesnt really help re cocktails. Im not a big cocktail drinker but will try some on a cruise but unless you know the name of a cocktail then the only way to know for sure what was available was to ask a barman what was available and what they contained.....not really practical. In the two weeks I didnt find a single bar menu that showed any cocktails priced within the classic package despite many being available. Unless X reprints its bar menus this is likely to cause continuing issues for passengers on the classic package.

Anyway, as I posted at the start of this thread, I had spoken with a Bar Manager and the Food and Beverage Director but to no avail. On day three we had the feedback form in our room so I filled it in saying I was unhappy they had reduced options within the classic package and that they had not resolved the problem. I got a call later that day from another Bar Manager. He again offered a free bottle of something in our rooms. I declined. He then said if we told him where we would like to have a drink he would ensure that bar would be made aware that a specific drink should be provided to us. Again I declined reiterating we just wanted access to what we had paid for and expected. So finally, after speaking to three people he gave us the premium package for no additional fee. So three days into our cruise we could access the drinks we had anticipated enjoying, plus of course some more. On balance I would have preffered just to have access to the classic package inclusions we had expected to enjoy and not have three days of hassle and dissatisfaction. Celebrity's handling of this change to the packages has been woeful but at least they have perhaps recognised it but its worrying that no one predicted that slashing the classic drinks offerings would cause such discontent.

As I posted a while back, drinks service onboard was excellent everywhere. From the buffet, to the pool bars to the MDR and we never felt like we were waiting to be served or topped up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OK, now I'm confused again. You spoke of having reduce options on the Classic Package. The list on this thread showing included liquors, beer and wines (posted by X) showed MORE options than there were several months ago, not fewer. Please clarify.

However... We are still awaiting Celebrity's official word on what changes have been made to the Premium package. Holders of the classic package have had their questions answered but those of us who paid to upgrade to the premium package are still in the dark.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Except this is the OLD explanation of the packages. Now the classic package includes glasses of wine up to $9. Celebrity said a week and a half ago they were working on the premium package but we haven't seen anything.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Check out post 25 of the following thread. It contains the MDR wines by the glass for the Ecplise cruise that ended today. Note, gratuities are included in the price:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2041782

Well , good news came for the Classic Package update --- fantastic for them .Its continuing to be a sore point for all us who paid the upgrade and have had the goal posts moved afterwards. I realize Celebrity have said they will update the Premium list - but hollow words and disgruntled cruise passengers will make for complaint onboard and afterwards for sure - just as the Classic Package did..

Maybe we will hear on Tuesday as it is a Holiday today here in the USA.

Check out post 25 of the following thread. It contains the MDR wines by the glass for the Ecplise cruise that ended today. Note, gratuities are included in the price:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2041782

Good grief. None of us should have to put on our detective skills to the test and have to go hunting and pecking through these various threads to find answers. Celebrity should just post what's included for each (revised) package - classic and premium - and just be done with it. Very frustrated! I booked the package in good faith based on what Celebrity had posted on their website. Now we're all having to babysit these threads waiting for Celebrity to cough up their revised lists or hope that some polite stranger can post live from their cruise. This is my first Celebrity cruise and let me tell you, it's not impressing me so far.

Good grief. None of us should have to put on our detective skills to the test and have to go hunting and pecking through these various threads to find answers. Celebrity should just post what's included for each (revised) package - classic and premium - and just be done with it. Very frustrated! I booked the package in good faith based on what Celebrity had posted on their website. Now we're all having to babysit these threads waiting for Celebrity to cough up their revised lists or hope that some polite stranger can post live from their cruise. This is my first Celebrity cruise and let me tell you, it's not impressing me so far.

Sorry, I was just trying to be helpful, not sure I deserved your wrath.

Edited by Oville

It's too bad Celebrity posted a sample list on their website. Would have avoided all this hassle. The other lines like Princess and RCCL just post the price points. I still say if you are really really concerned about pricing for the upgraded pkg that people are waiting for, just cancel the upgrade and check it out on board to see if it was worth it. I don't care what lists that Celebrity posts because we are not sailing until Oct and there could be a whole different selection of wines etc at that time. I am very sure I will find enough wonderful wines to make me happy:) Maybe too happy lol:D

Oh my...it was just a statement in general - not directed at you. So sorry. I thought the link was helpful but sad that it constantly has to be presented this way...folks trying to piece this puzzle together. Wish Celebrity would get their act together.

Oh my...it was just a statement in general - not directed at you. So sorry. I thought the link was helpful but sad that it constantly has to be presented this way...folks trying to piece this puzzle together. Wish Celebrity would get their act together.

Maybe this will help. I've cruised numerous times with both the Classic Package and Premium. I did not have either list, I just knew the price points and ordered accordingly. I'm not sure what happened on the Eclipse, but handing out that list or lists was a big mistake and caused a lot of unnecessary angst.

Edited by Oville

Maybe this will help. I've cruised numerous times with both the Classic Package and Premium. I did not have either list, I just knew the price points and ordered accordingly. I'm not sure what happened on the Eclipse, but handing out that list or list was a big mistake and caused a lot of unnecessary angst.

You do have a point. And there is no guarantee that it won't change again. I may have to wait until we get on board to see what is included/not included for my sailing and decide at that time whether or not to upgrade to premium. Can't switch the 123 perk to the OBC...already asked.

Wanted to say sorry again...just so frustrated with trying to get to the bottom of what I thought I had signed up for. Was in no way, shape, or form directed at you...ugh!:o

You do have a point. And there is no guarantee that it won't change again. I may have to wait until we get on board to see what is included/not included for my sailing and decide at that time whether or not to upgrade to premium. Can't switch the 123 perk to the OBC...already asked.

Wanted to say sorry again...just so frustrated with trying to get to the bottom of what I thought I had signed up for. Was in no way, shape, or form directed at you...ugh!:o

No problem, I think you are making the right decision to wait. The big things the premium pkg gets you are the Martini and Molecular bar drinks and a better choice of wines. Personally, I'm not sure I'd upgrade again.

I think your statement was very heartfelt, and not directed at anyone. You are as frustrated as everyone else due to all the misinformation and lack of direction from Celebrity. It is truly unfortunate that this is the way they choose to operate.

One good thing, however. Once you are actually on the ship, all of your frustrations will melt away and they will treat you well on board! :) Enjoy your cruise!

Perhaps due to the change to Europe with the gratuity being added to the price list and an increase in some prices lead to the creation of an incorrect "list".

That isn't the case.

The Australian based ships sail with modified prices including tips, and have been doing (again, as they've done previous seasons) for the past 6 months. Pricing in the packages isn't an issue as they adjust the threshold in line with the prices without problems.

I think your statement was very heartfelt, and not directed at anyone.!

I think mickeysgal and I have resolved our misunderstanding. I appreciated her responding to my post and saying she was sorry. I understand that she venting her frustratation but glad I helped her seeing things from a different angle.

So why all the problem on the Eclipse?

I would like to say thank you to those who took the time whilst on the Eclipse to bring the drinks package problem to the forum. I don't think without you and consequently the dissatisfied members of the forum Celebrity would have changed.

We will be on the Eclipse twice this year and will follow your lead in reporting back to the forum

Thanks again

On reflection they did have a problem when prices went up but now seem to have sorted them out. Perhaps we have not ordered anything that is not covered yet. Bar tenders are very good at keeping you right. I think tat as long as you are happy with the Chardonnay or say pino Grigio and type of wine rather than insist on name of wine it is fine. Another fantastic show last night. Entertainment has been superb IMO so far. Cruise director very good too.

OK, now I'm confused again. You spoke of having reduce options on the Classic Package. The list on this thread showing included liquors, beer and wines (posted by X) showed MORE options than there were several months ago, not fewer. Please clarify.

Hi think maybe you are playing catch up which is difficult when a thread gets this long. Hope this summary helps.

On the UK site the list of included drinks up to our cruise, and for about a year previous showed as attachment one. The UK and US sites both showed photos of the labels of brands included in the classic package. On boarding the drinks within the classic package had changed. There was a reduced list given out on board which is in my original post #1.

As a result of posts on here and on facebook Celebrity then brought out a revised list on 19th May as attached which effectively reversed the items they had removed from the classic package and is pretty similar to the orginal full list from the UK site.

Hope this helps.

Hi think maybe you are playing catch up which is difficult when a thread gets this long. Hope this summary helps.

On the UK site the list of included drinks up to our cruise, and for about a year previous showed as attachment one. The UK and US sites both showed photos of the labels of brands included in the classic package. On boarding the drinks within the classic package had changed. There was a reduced list given out on board which is in my original post #1.

As a result of posts on here and on facebook Celebrity then brought out a revised list on 19th May as attached which effectively reversed the items they had removed from the classic package and is pretty similar to the orginal full list from the UK site.

Hope this helps.

Once again thanks for putting the information into a concise format that hopefully everybody can understand, the problem is whoever designs and proofreads the information at Celebrity needs to understand what the different requirements are depending on where you are sailing from. I have never sailed from the UK on Celebrity, my cruise last year was out of Venice and my upcoming cruise in September is from Citaveccia but I do remember that all prices shown last year did not include the gratuity and I guess the same thing will apply this year. We have the Classic drinks package but will probably upgrade to Premium as in the scheme of things it's not much to pay knowing that virtually any drink we are likely to want will be covered and if not we only have to pay the difference.

Ray

Hope this helps.

It is of course further complicated by the issue of issuing price lists on board for UK sailings including the grat., which should be a none issue to holders of any drinks package as either the grat., was paid when purchasing the package (you cant purchase it without paying it) or Customers have taken advantage of a 'free Drinks package with grats. included, again all instances of this that I have seen have grats. included.

What a mess and very very poor Customer relations this has been from Celebrity.

I still find it strange that there is still no cocktail price list.? It did say at the bottom of the drinks page....... All cocktails UP TO $9.50? ........Would that mean ALL or only the ones up to $9.50 which is ??????.

Brenda x

On reflection they did have a problem when prices went up but now seem to have sorted them out. Perhaps we have not ordered anything that is not covered yet. Bar tenders are very good at keeping you right. I think tat as long as you are happy with the Chardonnay or say pino Grigio and type of wine rather than insist on name of wine it is fine. Another fantastic show last night. Entertainment has been superb IMO so far. Cruise director very good too.

We are on reflection in under 4 weeks pleased to know the shows are great and the CD is good, do you know his name. So looking forward to it with your positive comments enjoy the rest of your cruise xCarol

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I still find it strange that there is still no cocktail price list.? It did say at the bottom of the drinks page....... All cocktails UP TO $9.50? ........Would that mean ALL or only the ones up to $9.50 which is ??????.

Brenda x

I have never, ever seen a list of Cocktail or wine prices published by Celebrity. Over the years I have only seen prices posted by our helpful members of Cruise Critic. Even if Celebrity did post a list it would still be subject to change.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Brenda x

There isn't a definitive list. Different bars have their own.

Generally, most promoted cocktails fall outside the range; there are only a few that fall within.

However, some of the traditional ones which aren't promoted can also be made under that threshold, but you have to ask.

Generally, don't expect to get many cocktails if it was something you thought you could try. But if you have a favourite classic you always want, you may be able to get it.

Brenda x

Whilst there hasnt been a list of cocktail prices previously published by X, the Bar Menus did previously all show a range of cocktails many of which fell within the classic package. On Eclipse last week, we couldnt find a single bar menu showing a cocktail within the classic drinks price limit. They were available, you just needed to ask a barman or rely on the A4 sheet of cocktails from Guest Relations. Not really ideal though.