Onboard Eclipse Now. Big cutback in Classic Package Inclusions!

kevinyork

We boarded on Saturday and have the Classic Package, as some 1500 passengers onboard do. The first day we noticed the price of drinks had increased, not just because the service charge is included with cruises departing the UK but against any recent menu postings on this forum and against our Eclipse trip last July.

Additionally, the limits for the Classic Package had changed. It now reads as (all incl 15% tip):

Wine by the Glass up to $10.50

Cocktails and Spirits up to $9.50

All other soft drinks, coffees/tea, frozen drinks, non premium water, smoothies and beers up to £7.

Now we had a struggle the first day. We couldnt find a single bar menu that had a cocktail below the $9.50 level. Additionally the price of spirits wasnt on any menu anywhere. However, armed with a list of included brands for the Classic package as per Celebrity UKs website (as posted on another thread) we ordered a Tanqeray G+T, response 'not included', what about Bombay Sapphire? 'Not included but we can give you Gordons'. So basically lots of stuff previously available has now been priced over the Classic maximum price level.

So being a little perplexed we headed to Guest Relations and I said we were confused as we didnt know what spirits were included nor could we find a bar menu showing any cocktails that were included. We were handed a pretty basis in-house A4 sheet showing the drinks that were now included since changes to the package were introduced last week. Wow was that a truncated list compared to last year and the list on Xs website! At least the list showed about 20 cocktails but way less than last year. Also the list was only being given out to those asking about inclusions at Guest Relations. We are our third day and keep meeting people who have no idea what is included as they dont have the list from Guest Relations. Additionally we keep being told by barstaff we can have drinks not shown on that list which are on their system as available to us but not on the list so even the list isnt correct!

I spoke with the Food and Beverage Manager today about this. Whilst not having very high requirements for top shelf brands I showed him the list from the website and said we had booked when X had the 123 Promo and had viewed the brands available under the Classic Package at that time and indeed had checked again the week before our cruise. However we now find that they have cut back on whats covered but we only now about that now we are onboard. He kindly advised if something that was included before now isnt then maybe we might want to pay to upgrade to the premium package! Great, so to get what we expected was part of the promo we now have to pay more! He wouldnt budge a inch and said this was fleet wide and had come from Head Office and there was nothng he could do.

Do I smell a rat here? Have they lured thousands of people onto cruises with their free Classic drinks package only to then restrict whats available to push more people to upgrade their package? I can only imagine there are going to be a lot of unhappy passengers in the weeks/months to come.

Ive tried to photo the lists so hopefully you can read them.e4u2a4yt.jpgypesy9y9.jpg7a4agyta.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very much appreciate you taking the time, and precious Internet minutes, to post. There is a thread going about this, but of course it's hard to browse Cruise Critic while you are on board. Yours is the first to report what is actually happening on board, with photographs of lists.

Maybe I don't drink enough, but from what they have posted it looks like they have enough things included on the classic package. JMO

I don't think the problem is what's included, it's more that the UK website has a rather extensive list of what's included and then they get on board to find out a lot of it has been moved up to the premium package. Not a deal-breaker for me as I'm sure I can find something to drink (I'm not exactly picky :D), but I can understand why it would be frustrating.

I have a friend who just came back from Hawaii cruise on Solstice and said that the list was so limited, that the had no choice but to upgrade to the Premium package.

It is sad that Celebrity allure people to take the perk, but fail to deliver on the promise. Here is going the trust......

Edited by ISABELLA

Maybe I don't drink enough, but from what they have posted it looks like they have enough things included on the classic package. JMO

Pretty much what I thought too...but of course if they booked it based on other items being available and they weren't I guess I might be miffed too....

I think it is more about quality than quantity

What Celebrity was offering customers as an inducement to book with them was a package that contained quality products

That has now been reduced by about 43% and what they have taken off are what people perceive to be the quality products

Pretty much what I thought too...but of course if they booked it based on other items being available and they weren't I guess I might be miffed too....

But haven't most gotten it "free" as part of Pick Your Perks or 1-2-3 Go?

As with anything with the cruise lines they can and do change things at a moments notice.

Kevin, your list is the same as I was given last week, but you have the addition of a cocktail list this week, when I asked for one they didn't have one

I notice there is no Piña Colada, Bali hai and Sunset Breeze on this list, we had those last week !

Have a great cruise, enjoy and remember why we have defected from P and O and come over to Celebrity lol :D

Edited by rubydoobydoo

But haven't most gotten it "free" as part of Pick Your Perks or 1-2-3 Go?

As with anything with the cruise lines they can and do change things at a moments notice.

One has to wonder what the actual saving is to Celebrity by taking so many items off the list. Yes, a few were more expensive, but in many cases identically priced (locally) items were removed or had price increases. I believe the financial push is to get more to pay for the upgrades.

There was a different approach that I believe would have had actually a bigger positive effect on the bottom line (clearly the goal). Raise some of the prices, but allow classic drink package holders pay just the upgrade price to the drink they want. Many would pay an extra $1.50 for their brand of scotch, but not the full 9.50 plus tax. Many would go to the martini bar and pay $3 to upgrade but not pay $11 plus tax for the drink. Many would buy a better wine at dinner for just a few dollars more. The net of all those little upgrades would, IMHO, be more than $10 plus gratuities which is what celebrity charges for the upgrade. I think they missed a revenue opportunity and something that could be called an improvement in a benefit....and instead they created a situation where many are unhappy, the staff has to hide behind "hq made us do it", and lots of negative folks here on CC (and obviously elsewhere, just not so visible as we are).

Edited by ghstudio

What about martinis? Appeltinis, Cosmos, etc.? I understand there is a martini bar. Is that not included?

Good catch...perhaps you have to order a vodka gibson, hold the onion :)

The full size drinks at the martini bar were never included, but they had four martini's they would serve in smaller martini glasses that were included in the classic package. No clue as to what's happening today under this new plan.

Many would pay an extra $1.50 for their brand of scotch, but not the full 9.50 plus tax. Many would go to the martini bar and pay $3 to upgrade but not pay $11 plus tax for the drink. Many would buy a better wine at dinner for just a few dollars more. The net of all those little upgrades would, IMHO, be more than $10 plus gratuities which is what celebrity charges for the upgrade

Then why not just upgrade??? :confused:

I guess I could see being upset if I took the package thinking my favorite drink was included and now it's not. But it's not a bait and switch and I think most posters on cruise critic know that the cruise lines can and do change things like this as a moment's notice.

As for an Appletini, if you get it made with one of the vodkas on the Classic Package I assume it should be covered.

That's a great list. I'll be honest, I don't see what the big deal is. True this doesn't affect me as I paid for the premium drink upgrade for mad and way wife as we like the molecular and martini bars. However, if I was on the classic, I could quite happily drink many of the drinks on offer here.

I don't see it being any different as an all inclusive holiday in a hotel where you typically get house spirits (as shown here) included and psy extra for the traditional top shelf premium brands.

I feel this echos the sense of feeling outdone many people felt when the new captains club tiers were introduced to benefit only the elite and above. Alas I did not qualify for that level of exclusivity and myself and many like minded cruisers were made to feel we hasn't earned it.

Here is the same, we have got something advertised as "free" but we all know we're paying for it and it stings because the same people that felt special with their circa 25 points bonus points above everyone else now feel like the rest of us... Human and flawed.

Guys, you've obviously paid thousands of pounds to sail with celebrity because you want to enjoy yourself. I don't know what's come over the forums lately... But it's just all complaining... And the cruise hasn't even happened yet. Search for posts that say how great their cruise was and how little these perks actually mean when you're on the ion sea. After all what's important is that you are with the people you love... Knock back that Gordon's... I promise it will taste like Bombay sapphire or Plymouth gin after about the 3rd!

Edited by maximusas

I just called and spoke to a CSR and he said that martinis/appletinis should be on the classic package, just not with the super premium vodka. I guess I will just wait til I get on board and see what happens. Not really worth sweating it.

Good catch...perhaps you have to order a vodka gibson, hold the onion :)

The full size drinks at the martini bar were never included, but they had four martini's they would serve in smaller martini glasses that were included in the classic package. No clue as to what's happening today under this new plan.

I was told No martini at all included in the classic, I had read on here about a smaller serving so I asked about it and told no all martini was premium

I don't know if anyone else managed to get one depending who served them ?

Heaven help them when the Scots see the limited range of Scotch now :o

(Its OK I hate Scotch)

Hmmm, will Mr uktog now have to get used to an old black bush as opposed to his usual whisky of choice :eek: :D

We didn't have a drink package last month but would buy an Appletini and or a Cosmo every night at dinner in Blu and we ordered them with Stoli, (which I notice is currently on the approved Classic list of alcohols, so can't understand why they'd refer to it as premium. Also, without us even asking they brought us the small Martinis and charged us $6 per drink. I think they assumed we were on a drink package, nod that is why l

They brought the small Martinis, but $6 is well within the Classic drink package limit. Later on in the week they asked if we wanted larger Martinis, to which we said yes, and I think they charged us $10 or $11. Keep in mind, these drinks

Were not from the martini bar.

Edited by 4cats4me

I guess I could see being upset if I took the package thinking my favorite drink was included and now it's not. But it's not a bait and switch and I think most posters on cruise critic know that the cruise lines can and do change things like this as a moment's notice.

As for an Appletini, if you get it made with one of the vodkas on the Classic Package I assume it should be covered.

We have the premium package as a frequent cruiser. Wines that were included in October, November, January, February and march now require extra payment.

Celebrity offered a package when people signed up but months later when they were on board the drinks previously included are now beyond the scope of the package purchased. I think this sucks big time for people who like certain types or qualities of beverage.

Everyone is happy until their own ox is gored.

URL=http://s76.photobucket.com/user/Janangtal/media/imagejpg1-1.jpg.html]imagejpg1-1.jpg[/url]

Please don't let the confusion of the drinks package spoil the excitement building up to your next cruise

I originally posted the new list, not to stir up a hornets nest, but just advise people in advance, so they knew what to expect

We had a fantastic time and would book a drink package again even with the new reduced list, even though it was not what was expected, it was still great.

My husband is fussy over his brands but he soon adapted to what was available and thoroughly enjoyed it, after a couple of drinks he was happy with whatever

Seeing a beautiful sunrise was worth more than a particular drink

Enjoy your hard earned holiday and make the most of it as it is over all too quick

The photos of the list of included drinks that were posted at the start of this thread, I see that the Beers didn't include Heineken which is clearly shown on the web page when ordering... sorry, I am not drinking Coors or Bud...

Coors Light, Heineken, Heineken Light, Franziskaner, Leffe, O'Doul's Non-Alcoholic

Also, there are only two scotch shown on the photos. Give me a break (and in practice there were many more available to the Classic package on board)

Dewars White Label, J & B, Cutty Sark,

here's the list of minimum drinks included in the classic package...

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beverage/package/selections.do?consumerInterestId=30

Edited by A Sixth?

Hmmm, will Mr uktog now have to get used to an old black bush as opposed to his usual whisky of choice :eek: :D

I think the dear cruise funder will not see that as a whisky, he's never been one for the old bull and bush ;)