Questions about wine - cruising AND wine newbie!

Mytime2014

I'm almost embarrassed to have to ask....but here goes. BTW, I'm sailing on the Westerdam, in July if it makes a difference.

My wine experience is fairly limited - I'm okay with a glass of house red at a good restaurant. I prefer pinot noir or merlot and will look for berry/chocolate tones if I'm reading a review. I haven't really looked at the number ratings before so thanks for the education in the research thread!!

On this cruise - will be taking a bottle of pinot grigio [santa Margherita] and a red for the room. With dinner I'm good with a couple of glasses.

If by the glass - do they pour a skimpy glass or a generous glass?

If by the bottle - how long will wine be good if kept correctly and will they do that for me? I'm the only wine drinker - and my MO is to open a bottle at home, have a couple of glasses, cork it, forget it and then days later - have yuck in a bottle.

I'll probably be picking up wine in Seattle if anyone has a suggestion for a local wine - I'd be glad to taste test on my pre-cruise day!!

If you buy a bottle of wine at dinner and don't finish it, they'll keep it for you until you finish it. You might enjoy attending their wine tasting event - usually the second full "at sea" day. We have done that several times and have enjoyed them all. Some of the ship sommeliers are quite charismatic and know wine. You'll enjoy the afternoon (in the Pinnacle Grill) and might even learn a few things about wine in general and pairings of wine with various foods. I'd suggest it - your SO might even enjoy it!

If you do "a couple of glasses" at dinner a bottle should not last that long. ;)

Try the wine-by-the-glass the first night and if that's good enough you know what to do. Otherwise get a bottle - it should be fine for 2-3 days.

I like the idea of the wine tastings and I seem to remember something on a review about a wine pairing/appetizer event as well. I'll keep my eye on the program.

You know, I am WAY over-thinking this! I started dropping some extra into my OBC so I don't have to worry - glass/carafe/bottle - if I want it - I'm going to have it and not worry about running up the charge card.

Boytjie's advice to try wine by the glass for the first night or two is good advice.

By all means, attend the first Wine Tasting session--the Navigator's Package, I believe, is featured. And, if so inclined, the Premium Wine Tasting event may be worth some investment of your treasure.

The individual in charge of the wine tastings should be the Head Wine Steward; sometimes it is the Hotel Director, but, usually not. Some of these men/women are excellent in their presentation of the program and--to be honest--some most certainly are not.

Regardless, it is an interesting and informative way of spending an hour and leaving the room with a head start on HAPPY HOUR!

The wine pours are 5 ounces. That's pretty much the standard five glasses per bottle.

We try to consume open wine within 24 hours if it's at proper temperature. You can probably stretch that to 48 hours, but I wouldn't go longer.

Mytime-I am wondering why you would opt for wine by the glass on board ship when you have the ability to take it onboard?

If it is only you drinking it then a few extra bottles should do it

And despite the corkage fee you will get a better wine for far less than it costs on board

If you are going to be downtown there is a great wine shop in Pike Place-Pike and Western wine shop.It's going to be pricier that the supermarket or total wine/Bevmo but they can steer you to wines that fit your needs

If not then supermarkets generally have a great selection at good prices

I will be taking 5 wines on board.A couple of Trader Joes reserve wines that are fantastic value, a bottle of champagne and some local wines

I like Chateau St Michelle chardonnay-that winery is about 20 minutes from where I live so very local! Their basic chardonnay is $8.99 on sale and very drinkable at least for my palate

Another good and well priced winery is Barnard Griffin

You will be spoiled for choice.WA state makes some very good wines

Judy - I may do that - I just wanted to figure out my options. The wine tasting sounds fun even if not buying for a chance to mingle and try something new. By the glass would be taking a chance on something new

We are staying at the Sheraton downtown and will be there on the 4th for a tourist day - Pike place is on the agenda for either Friday or Saturday morning before we board. At some point I'll be buying [and lugging] a 12 pack of Mt. Dew, so can add a bottle of wine to that....thinking I may need a little wheeled cart for that excursion!

I am beyond excited about this trip and haven't even started on clothes and gloves. But I 'think' I can figure those out on my own!!

Edited by Mytime2014

I'm almost embarrassed to have to ask....but here goes. BTW, I'm sailing on the Westerdam, in July if it makes a difference.

My wine experience is fairly limited - I'm okay with a glass of house red at a good restaurant. I prefer pinot noir or merlot and will look for berry/chocolate tones if I'm reading a review. I haven't really looked at the number ratings before so thanks for the education in the research thread!!

On this cruise - will be taking a bottle of pinot grigio [santa Margherita] and a red for the room. With dinner I'm good with a couple of glasses.

If by the glass - do they pour a skimpy glass or a generous glass?

If by the bottle - how long will wine be good if kept correctly and will they do that for me? I'm the only wine drinker - and my MO is to open a bottle at home, have a couple of glasses, cork it, forget it and then days later - have yuck in a bottle.

I'll probably be picking up wine in Seattle if anyone has a suggestion for a local wine - I'd be glad to taste test on my pre-cruise day!!

As to picking up wine in Seattle. 14 Hands is a local WA winery. The reds are great and very reasonably priced.

By the glass would be taking a chance on something new

I am beyond excited about this trip and haven't even started on clothes and gloves. But I 'think' I can figure those out on my own!!

First, let me commend you on worrying about the wine before the wardrobe! We're about 200 days away from our next cruise and I am already working on my list of wines to take along. Clothing will have to wait until a week or two before sailing. Priorities, priorities.... :D

In terms of house wines by the glass, your choices are Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, Merlot, and Cabernet Sauvignon. There is a Prosecco if you want something sparkling. They were $5.95 per glass in March, which in terms of wine by the glass, is pretty darn cheap.

You can find a link to all the wines in this post - both bottles and by the glass.

Can you manage a small backpack? That might be easiest for the things you are trying to carry -- keeps your hands free for the luggage, etc.

A backpack is on the shopping list - or possibly on the steal/borrow, from son list.

First, let me commend you on worrying about the wine before the wardrobe! We're about 200 days away from our next cruise and I am already working on my list of wines to take along. Clothing will have to wait until a week or two before sailing. Priorities, priorities.... :D

In terms of house wines by the glass, your choices are Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, Merlot, and Cabernet Sauvignon. There is a Prosecco if you want something sparkling. They were $5.95 per glass in March, which in terms of wine by the glass, is pretty darn cheap.

You can find a link to all the wines in this post - both bottles and by the glass.

Haha! My general packing list has been on my phone app for a while - only because with this being a running cruise, I HAVE to make sure I have certain things like running shoes and clothes.

BUT one of the first things I asked my friend in Seattle was about Trader Joe's as I have pretty much always had great luck with the wines they stock (not only their own but others), and it didn't take long to figure out that even if I fill a 6-bottle tote (likely just 4 bottles since it'll be just me in the cabin), I will still come out cheaper than getting it on the ship. :)

runnergirl-most of the TJ reserve wines I have drunk have been very good both in taste and in price.Unfortunately what I like this week may not be in stock next week as it is limited production. TJ's makes deals with really elite CA wineries to buy up their overstock and pass on the savings to the consumer

Currently I am in love with the TJ's petite reserve merlot.At $7.99/bottle it is a steal

Also their Viognier at $5.99 is ridiculously cheap for the quality

runnergirl-most of the TJ reserve wines I have drunk have been very good both in taste and in price.Unfortunately what I like this week may not be in stock next week as it is limited production. TJ's makes deals with really elite CA wineries to buy up their overstock and pass on the savings to the consumer

Currently I am in love with the TJ's petite reserve merlot.At $7.99/bottle it is a steal

Also their Viognier at $5.99 is ridiculously cheap for the quality

Yep! I get all my wines from TJ's!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I thought you could only bring one bottle of wine on board per person, but

Some are saying they are bringing 4 bottles. Also, are you allowed to bring a case of Dr. Pepper on board also ? or do you have to buy the soda card.

We are leaving on the Westerndam in 2 weeks.

you can bring one bottle per adult in the cabin - you can consume those in the cabin [say 2 adults = 2 bottles for in room use]

You can bring additional bottles [#3 through #xx] and you pay corkage. You can take those stickered bottles out of your room to MDR etc.

You can bring on sodas and water. They have Coke products on the ship if you don't want to bring them on and a lot of people say the water on board is good

you can bring one bottle per adult in the cabin - you can consume those in the cabin [say 2 adults = 2 bottles for in room use]

You can bring additional bottles [#3 through #xx] and you pay corkage. You can take those stickered bottles out of your room to MDR etc.

You can bring on sodas and water. They have Coke products on the ship if you don't want to bring them on and a lot of people say the water on board is good

I'm confused. I thought that you were permitted to bring the 1 bottle allowance (without corkage) to MDR???

I'm confused. I thought that you were permitted to bring the 1 bottle allowance (without corkage) to MDR???

No, the one bottle sans corkage is for in room consumption. It's in the Alcohol Policy section of the Know Before You Go document on the HAL site.

HAL's policy (emphasis mine):

Revised Policy effective 1/31/14

Each guest 21 years and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage.
This bottle will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom.
Additional wine or champagne bottles (no larger than 750ml) in carry-on luggage are welcome, but will incur a US$18.00 (subject to change) corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Guests are not allowed to bring beer, boxed wine, or other liquors and spirits onboard. Holland America Line reserves the right to remove all alcoholic beverages from any guest luggage that violates this policy. Any alcoholic beverage found will be removed and returned on the last evening of the voyage. Guests will not receive any monetary compensation for alcoholic beverages that were removed from luggage.

Edited by Boytjie