JW and Jerome's May 3rd MSC Divina Adventure

cruiseguys2009

So glad I found your review! We have only cruised Celebrity and thought about Divina but had read too many negative reviews as others have mentioned. We are sailing on the Allure in Jan. so that will be a big change for us. The Divina is still on my radar, however. Looking forward to your day-by-day "adventures" !

Perhaps....that will be fun, as The Oasis is going over in September 2014 then in to Dry Dock. I guess the Allure follows next. Jerome and I have The Celebrity Reflection TA booked for April 2015, and we would like to sail on The MSC Divina again this August or September. The rates are amazing again for those sailings, although it is Hurricane Season.....but ME is always lucky during Hurricane Season.....

Our next trip booked is the 11 night Celebrity Equinox November 10th out of Ft Lauderdale.

See you on the High Seas!

We are travelling in October would have been good to have met you

Judith

We were the couple you sent the champagne to the first evening. Thank you again.

I think your review of the MSC Divina was wonderful and I agree with everything you said. I don't understand the negative write ups this ship had because it was beyond my imagination.

The shows were unbelievable and never saw a ship that had so many things going on every day and days with 2 shows to boot. The entertainment team was the greatest and the entire crew were always very nice.

I'm looking forward to another cruise on the MSC Divina for sure.

We were the couple you sent the champagne to the first evening. Thank you again.

I think your review of the MSC Divina was wonderful and I agree with everything you said. I don't understand the negative write ups this ship had because it was beyond my imagination.

The shows were unbelievable and never saw a ship that had so many things going on every day and days with 2 shows to boot. The entertainment team was the greatest and the entire crew were always very nice.

I'm looking forward to another cruise on the MSC Divina for sure.

It was wonderful to have met you both as well. We are glad you two enjoyed the MSC Divina as much as we did. Happy Sailing!

We found the crew to be professional, courteous, and happy. I asked our wonderful room steward Dan S how he liked the Divina, and he told me he was on his 4th contract with MSC and loved the Divina the most. One of the main reasons he loves it is because how the crew is treated in their living arrangements. The crew cabins are duals with one bathroom, not quads with one bathroom. It is more like a luxury resort job for the him and he enjoys his job very much, and consequently is very happy. I spoke with dozens of crew members, bar servers, bar tenders, and all told me how happy their lives were because of how accommodating MSC was. All of them told me that they were on their 3rd, 4th or even 10th contract with MSC. All came from other cruise companies and all said that they make more money and are treated better on MSC than any other cruise company. One of the biggest interesting facts on the MSC Divina was finding out how many married couples and co-inhabiting couples were crew members on The Divina and how much MSC went out of their way to accommodate them in quarters together. Happy Crew means Happy Passengers means Happy Company means Happy Profits.

I'm very happy to read that. While on board we really worry about the hard work the crew is doing and their living conditions. I'm glad they at least have proper privacy.

Thanks for the review!

As for food, when I read really strong negative comments I wonder what these people eat at home.

So true!

Both my partner and I are good enough cooks (we have a lovely Thermomix kitchen robot that we consider part of family :D) and yet we love the food on cruises!

I love making cakes, desserts and pastries, to the point that many times I bring leftovers to work for my colleagues (nothing better to motivate and promote good mood :-)) so having some taste I just loved the desserts in my past cruise experience! The point is, what do people compare to when they state the food as not good?

Nowadays many people just eat pre-processed food made with pre-processed products, full of chemicals and additives. In almost every cruise, since they cook for so many people on a regular scheduled basis, they are able to make fresh food from fresh ingredients. There's nothing better than that for your body, so I just don't get what the whole whining about food is about!

Do people prepare fresh made pasta at home? do they have fresh sliced fruit at their fridges ready to eat? do they eat a steak every night? or try special desserts?

Unless people are so rich that they can afford a full time chef at their homes, I just don't get it. Unless of course someone mistakes good for usual!

You make a really interesting point!

Personally, I do make my own pasta and cook raw ingredients from scratch with very little pre-processed products involved. I have six hungry boys (with four of them teenagers) in my care so I find it much cheaper and healthier to cook this way - plus I adore food especially cooking it. One of the things I am looking forward to is the food. Though I suspect that it will all be delicious by virtue of the fact I didn't have to cook or clean up after any of it. :D

Thanks so much for your positive review. I think every one of our trips has had a "Travesty". But, this can always be made into a fun story when we get back. Never had a bad vacation or cruise!

We're cruising on the Divina in October and are so excited about our vacation. I booked guaranteed room and will not find out until 3-4 weeks, before cruising, our room assignment. Hopefully, this will not be the "Travesty" of our cruise. :)

What a fun review............I chuckled ALOT....you sound divine.......we are sailing on Divina Sept 20.....come along I'd love to meet you both..........we will definitely take your advice and pre-book the 421 package......you have whet my appetite for an amazing cruise experience...........we always cruise in September and the only time a hurricane was any bother was getting re-routed...........but what did I care I was on a ship being well taken care of and loving it.........

JW

I love everything you said in your review. Hell, I was there!! LOL

I'm really looking forward to Part II of the adventure yet to be posted. I wonder if I'm in it? LOL

Hope to see you on the high seas again soon.

Hugs to you both

Darrell

We too are anticipating the continued adventures of JW & Jerome. They were always easy to spot with JW mostly sporting a nice Boston baseball cap and Jerome looking like James Bond ready for a high seas thriller. Their review is and will continue to be over the top as they both were virtual tour guides of the ship and it's workings and how to have the best vacation possible. Their energy for cruise amenities we thought couldn't be possible. From room service to the daily paper to the 421 card these two have it all covered. We thank them immensely and look forward to their future adventures. MuggsB and the lovely Stepherita

I cannot wait to read your adventures!

I had been following along your Ecstatic Ecstacy adventures when, understandably, things got a little busy with your trees, and everything that came with that, so I'm thrilled to be able to catch more adventures, right from the beginning!

And even greater, is the fact that I just got off the Divina yesterday :) Mind you, it was only 2 nights, but we thoroughly enjoyed it. Different than Carnival and RCCL, but wonderful nonetheless.

Looking forward to reading the JW & Jerome Shenanigans :)

A wonderful review JW, I feel like I was there! Oh wait, I was!

I couldn't agree more with your review. I must say that the Divina experience was one of the best cruises I have ever had.

It was a pleasure meeting you and JW along with balunbustingbear and muggsb and so many others. I hope our paths cross again in the future.

I can hardly wait to read the follow up once posted.

Gregg

• 2 weeks later...

JW,

Thanks for the great review.

Did I miss the additional information that was to follow?

We are also doing the Eastern Caribbean route. What nights were formal nights? Any tips for San Juan? We have done the forts, outlets and have stayed in Isla Verde twice.

Thanks,

Ellen

they are AWOL...........I think we need to send out the authorities to see if they are ok...............my kid is an FBI agent..........should I send her pertinent info to find them?....

I keep waiting for the "adventures"...but I think their adventures keep them away from here...............:D

they are AWOL...........I think we need to send out the authorities to see if they are ok...............my kid is an FBI agent..........should I send her pertinent info to find them?....

I keep waiting for the "adventures"...but I think their adventures keep them away from here...............:D

Yes, I suspect you're right, they're too busy having new adventures to come back and tell us about the previous ones :(

• 1 month later...

I, too, was waiting to hear of further adventures. The guy sure can write. To give you an idea how hilarious he can be, check out his thread on his Dawn cruise:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=966071

Although not complete (rumors of a hollywood script), Jay Double Yew does get a good way into the cruise and it's a ride.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just finished reading your absolutely wonderful review. Just like a good book - I couldn't put it down. We just recently booked the Divina 10/25 cruise and like everyone else have been surfing the web to familiarize ourselves before getting on board. Much negativity, and then high praises.

And because of so many highs and lows, cruisers scratching their heads and wondering what is the real "story".

Well JW you just won the Pulitzer Prize of "cruising reviews". My surfing has stopped right here. We have booked the Allegrissimo Premium package, will take your advice about going ala carte at the speciality restaurants (had just posted a question about that) and will take lunch in the MDR.

The only thing missing is having you and Jerome aboard our cruise.

I just finished reading your absolutely wonderful review. Just like a good book - I couldn't put it down. We just recently booked the Divina 10/25 cruise and like everyone else have been surfing the web to familiarize ourselves before getting on board. Much negativity, and then high praises.

And because of so many highs and lows, cruisers scratching their heads and wondering what is the real "story".

Well JW you just won the Pulitzer Prize of "cruising reviews". My surfing has stopped right here. We have booked the Allegrissimo Premium package, will take your advice about going ala carte at the speciality restaurants (had just posted a question about that) and will take lunch in the MDR.

The only thing missing is having you and Jerome aboard our cruise.

Yes, it is so true, we absolutely Loved The MSC Divina! Thank you for your kind words. The MSC Divina is not for everyone, and my advice is that if someone loves Carnival or HAL or any of the Carnival Product line, you will not like The MSC Divina. The Divina is an upscale European Adventure with an elegant 2 and a half hour dining room experience each night, ala "Country Club Sophistication". CCL has a good product line for Americans used to rush, rush, rush, shovel, shovel, shovel and are used to not having to speak to their dining partner. On The Divina, you will once again, talk to your dinner partner and that is the most fun of all. Oh how we laughed with everyone around us. How it was like the grand old nights of cruising. I remember Dinner as it should be, a long, lingering saga of taste, conversation, good wine and kindred spirits. Which is exactly what I found in the Villa Rosa Dining Room.

I don't care much for the dining room servers who think that I am at a poker table and dole out the courses as if they are dealing a deck of cards, picking them up just as fast, before I can savor that last little crouton or olive on my plate. That seems to be what cruising has become, oh how it is not like that on The Divina.

As for the pools, HAL certainly gets the Pool award, with not having as much of The People Soup Issue, as the older clientele needs to stay clear of the sun ergo, more chairs poolside for the few younger folks aboard. But on The Divina, we found several under used areas with wonderful water features. These hidden gems were priceless.

Now, Princess is sure a nice cruise too. My personal preference is Celebrity Cruise Lines and we found that The Divina met or exceeded our expectations and was most like Celebrity in style, because we sought out the fun things to do. And Drank all the way till the end! Just like on Celebrity with their 1,2,3 Go Drunk Package.

The Alegrissmo Premium Package is perfect for us as we could have anything, and I mean ANYTHING we wanted to drink, and then some. Especially $22.00 shots of single malt rare scotch. With 14 Bars and each one having nightly entertainment, a Pub Crawl nightly is magnificent, especially with others who have the Premium Package. The 12 individual LIVE entertainment that is in the smaller venues, is ever changing and wonderful. There is so much to do and oh boy, the White Hot Party is a hoot, and better than on Norwegian. If you love Salsa South Beach, you will truly enjoy the White Party.

We loved our stateroom, our room steward, and again, The Divina's attitude is European Laid Back, something I had forgot to be. The audaciously Demanding or self aggrandized Entitled need not sail on this ship, they will absolutely hate it, as their reviews have taken well note.

What made our sailing great was that there were only 35% Americans on board, and the rest were folks from Around the World. We are outgoing, so we enjoyed meeting so many new friends from Belgium, Canada, France, England, New Zealand, Norway, Amsterdam, Italy and Greece. The bevy of new friends fills my phone and my social media pages daily. The passenger mix was so wonderfully European that I was so grateful, that even though we were on a Caribbean Sailing, it felt as if we were in Europe. And the price we paid was less than any other cruise out there EVER.

Funny though, the only people I saw complaining at times were the "Entitled American Class" to which again, I say, the MSC Divina is not for everyone, and it should not be. If you are a laid back, easy going, expect the unexpected, and an adventurous kind of person like we are, then you will have the time of your life. If we spent our life comparing HAL to The Divina or Celebrity to Carnival, we would certainly go nuts.

Each cruise line has a distinct identity. The MSC Divina's is no different.

Sometimes I have found that "The Reviews" are just a bit much either way. I prefer to only talk about us, how much fun it was, what we did to have fun, what little surprises or nuances I can pass along, and most certainly, not nit pic. I look for fun things to do, I don't look for things to complain about. It's when I don't write about a sailing, well, that is when we have had an atrocious time, and there have been a few, and I will not fill my head, or pages, with negativity.

A cruise is a cruise is a cruise and I am happy to be on one, be able to afford one, be able to enjoy one, and we cherish the high seas. If I can't find something positive to experience, and address the challenges to the proper personnel while on board, instead of bashing the cruise line on Cruise Critic after the fact, then I do a great disservice to me and to anyone who reads my missives.

We have heard from over two hundred folks who have sailed on The Divina these past three months and each absolutely raves about her. Jerome and I are going back on her next year, but first, we are on The Celebrity Equinox November 10th for 11 Nights. Funny, had we known, The MSC Divina is doing the exact same itinerary as us, only one night shorter, and will be with us the same day in every port of call. That my dear friends is pure punishment for Jerome and I. We are part of a large group on The Equinox or we would be on the Divina in a heartbeat.

Once again, Our Experiences on The MSC Divina have been incredibly Divine!

Both Jerome and I wanted to address the reasons why we did not continue with "Our Adventures" on The Divina.

We have found, most recently, on our Adventures of The Celebrity Reflection, The Truth and Fun of it all sometimes offends and causes insurmountable issues with some members and contributors, sidetracking our Adventures. I find that I have to continually back track, rewrite, abridge, explain, delete and otherwise alter our actual experiences that every one of my posts becomes ardently tedious, not only for me but for our dear friends at CC. Let me tell you, when JW writes an "Adventure", the wonderful folks at CC are up round the clock lovingly monitoring! We are best pals and I truly love each of them. I understand the strict codes to follow and do my best to be well within them, but nonetheless, there is someone ultimately out there with a computer and a keyboard that disagrees vehemently, on something or other I have written.

That being said, we came to the conclusion, that with so many followers of "JW and Jerome", that have sailed with us and we now know and love, that we say, "Just sail with us again and be a part of the Adventure!"

We guess that instead of just reading about our adventures, well maybe just check which roll calls we are on and then get tickets to join us in the festivities!

Better yet, come and see us this Christmas and tour our Home, which for this year, we are going to have over 60 Christmas Trees fully decorated inside. It is for 5,000 children in our community. We provide over 15,000 toys distributed directly to under served children. After 13 years, it has become a labor of love. Here is the poster for 2014. Join us please, will you?

10556953_1466235843656113_7764663715727469032_o.jpg