How does laundry work on Cunard?

PunkiC

We are primarily Princess cruisers and love, love, love our free laundry.

Recently, however, we have been finding these smoking deals on Cunard and are wondering how the laundry works. Is there a self-service laundry on any of the ships? Do they have a "per bag" rate? Since DH will have to wear a shirt and tie every evening, we are wondering how much it costs to launder a dress shirt.

Help!

Edited by PunkiC

Hi PunkiC,

There are free laundries located on many (most?) cabin decks of Cunard ships. You're never far from one (although on QM2 it can seem like a long hike ;) ). As for the charges, I'll be back shortly with the cost (when I can find the price list I brought home with me from QM2 four days ago :( ).

Best wishes,

Edited by pepperrn

We are primarily Princess cruisers and love, love, love our free laundry.

Recently, however, we have been finding these smoking deals on Cunard and are wondering how the laundry works. Is there a self-service laundry on any of the ships? Do they have a "per bag" rate? Since DH will have to wear a shirt and tie every evening, we are wondering how much it costs to launder a dress shirt.

Help!

Prices are shown here https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/fleet/laundry_prices

The Queen Mary 2 definitely has self-service laundry rooms. I am not sure about the other ships and do not recall how much laundry costs (but I think it was comparable to other cruise lines).

Free laundrettes on QE decks 4,5,6,7 and 8. Three washers and three dryers per deck.

The 20 items for $40 laundry specials were held on most segments of the World Voyage. I don't know how long a cruise must be for them to run this.

Self service launderettes are free but there is a charge for full service laundry which is outlined here: https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/fleet/laundry_prices. Launderettes provide washers, dryers, irons, and detergent packets. Full service laundry will return everything pressed or folded on hangers as needed. Dry cleaning is also available as well as a pressing only service should a shirt or dress be clean but rumpled from packing.

Since you say "We are primarily Princess cruisers and love, love, love our free laundry.." you might be starting out on a bad note. You might be ticked off that you have to pay on Cunard for something that you get complimentary on Princess.

At least this is my reason why

I'd rather pay someone else to do my washing whilst on holiday. I don't spend a few thousand pound on a cruise and then worry about saving a few shekels by doing my own washing. Plus who wants to spent this in the laundry room ? Not me for one - the bar is a much better place to be.

Not all the self serve laundries on the QV were working during the recent WV. Some washers & driers were were broken more than running. Some passengers were doing their wash on one floor and drying on another. Since this is not a money maker for Cunard, repairs were slow if at all.

Depending on the length of your cruise, this may not be your best option.

Don

Self-serve laundry is completely free (as mentioned above) but can be competitive. Be prepared: you may need wait in a short queue rather than just popping-in and finding empty washers and dryers.

Do arrive back in time to transfer your own clothes from washer to dryer and to remove from dryer or someone waiting his turn will do this for you…

Check your clothes frequently when drying. Other people will open the dryer to see if it is unoccupied and shut it without remembering to push the "start button" again--- <!>

I have met lovely people in the laundry and had many friendly chats. Impressive is the number of capable men who do the washing as well as ironing. (I hope this sounds like admiration, which it is, and not sexism).

We have had several items cleaned and pressed by Cunard services and were well satisfied with results. They can re-press a wrinkled tux in less than 24 hours for an addition charge---well-worth it when boarding after traveling instead of coming on the ship straight from home.

There is also a nice clothesline in the shower, which works well for smalls and my DH's daily work-out clothes. Amazing how quickly things dry in the bathroom.

Have a great voyage with Cunard! Piece of cake to keep your clothes clean aboard!

I just toss my lingerie in soapy water in the sink while I shower, rinse it when I get out, roll it up in a towel to get rid of the excess moisture and hang it up to dry. It takes almost no times at all. I do the same with DH's workout clothes. I actually do this with all of our delicate clothing and then send the sturdier stuff to the laundry/dry cleaner on board. Of course on Princess it is free for us, but on Cunard, we will just have to pay.

We travel with one carry-on each and one extra checked bag so we need to be frugal with our packing. When we are on a Cunard ship, DH wears a sport coat on the plane and packs another, along with his tux.

Why anyone would want to do their own washing whilst on a cruise beats me - you might as well go camping (which is, of course, not a proper holiday, and only for children anyway).

You can pack fewer things.

Has anyone noticed if the detergent is fragrance free?

It had a "baby powder" type fragrance but that's just me. Cunard uses a easily biodegradable detergent. I would caution against demands that Cunard should provide "fragrance free" detergent. They might decide that the laundrettes are too much trouble, there's no pleasing everyone, and will then just take them out.

I just budget in full service laundry. After dealing with my apartment building laundry room during the year, I prefer not to deal with laundry room wars while on vacation.

Why anyone would want to do their own washing whilst on a cruise beats me - you might as well go camping (which is, of course, not a proper holiday, and only for children anyway).

Are you going to make the same stupid statement more than twice on this thread?

Punki....it seems like yesterday you were typing on FT about maybe trying Princess for the first time. You two have really loaded up on the cruising.

Good for you!

For laundry detergent the pods are easy to pack. No need to use something other than what you want.

Edited by oregon50

Punki....it seems like yesterday you were typing on FT about maybe trying Princess for the first time. You two have really loaded up on the cruising.

Good for you!

For laundry detergent the pods are easy to pack. No need to use something other than what you want.

Seriously? I haven't been on FT for years and years and to me it seems like years and years. :) Yes we most certainly have done a lot of cruising and we love it. We can dance every night and that is one of our favorite activities.

It is a great way to see the world, relax and enjoy ourselves.

What was your FT handle?

I won't be doing my own laundry, no sir. But no-one touches my dress shoes - "one man, one kit." Those I'll polish personally. Sounds like a good excuse to sit on the uppers with a beer or two and spend an hour or so working on them :)

Edited by Jackytar

I was on QM2 for 22 days last spring. Never had to queue to find a free washer on Deck 8, nor to dry even though one dryer was broken most of the time. Whatever detergent they use must be specially formulated for desalinated sea water. My jockey shorts have never turned out so cottony soft.

And I used the $40 bag special to send out all my sport shirts. You are supplied a sturdy cotton rucksack in your cabin for said purpose, but be advised it holds a good bit less than the "stuff-a-bag" specials on other ships. A year later, those shirts still appear freshly ironed straight out of the wash at home.

Edited by fishywood

On the circumnavigation of OZ,this year there were 2 x laundry specials.$40.00 for 30 items,the trick is roll the washing into cylinders,lots more fits in then.We sent lots of shirts etc and at least 3 pairs of jeans each time and filled the spaces with socks etc.

If you have ever had to pack a kitbag,you'll have no problems.

I always find doing laundry a huge drag, unless I have a washer/dryer in my home. On QM2 it has been difficult for me to get my laundry done as the laundry rooms are always very popular.

I think next time I will make sure I won't need to do any laundry on board, or just give a couple of items to the room steward for washing/cleaning (although never "delicates").

Edited by Leucothea
typo

Good for you!

I only said my point once. If you think camping is a proper holiday then so be it, but adults know they are not.