FYI: Drink packages NOT prorated

Was it just a test run on the Navigator? I did a quick search on Google and there were announcements from Nov. 2013 about it being rolled out.

Edit. Just noticed that it was 2013 that it was revamped. That would have been the time that they started allowing you to prorate it. My apologies.

I don't remember it being a test run but it was also December 2012 when we sailed.

Sent from my Bat Phone

I'm really glad this got pointed out on here. I totally told someone here the other day that the soda package was not pro-rated as that is what we'd been told on cruises.

My apologies to the person who I gave out the wrong info to. :(

I'm really glad this got pointed out on here. I totally told someone here the other day that the soda package was not pro-rated as that is what we'd been told on cruises.

My apologies to the person who I gave out the wrong info to. :(

The SODA package is NOT pro-rated. The alcoholic beverage packages ARE pro-rated.

Not sure about the "Royal Replenish" package.

It seems strange though that it would be several crew members that don't know of this policy. I could see the odd bartender or 2 not knowing about it but to have the staff at guest services not know I find a little hard to believe.

It almost seems like a few ships are doing this on purpose and betting on the fact that most people do not know about the policy or if they do that they won't complain.

Sounds like an eager Hotel Director trying to increase revenue.

Do you remember? A few months back, someone was told on the Explorer that there was NO SODA PACKAGE. They would "have to" buy the Royal Replenish package if they wanted soda in a package form.

The Explorer workers ALL insisted on this. And they were JUST WRONG.

Do you remember? A few months back, someone was told on the Explorer that there was NO SODA PACKAGE. They would "have to" buy the Royal Replenish package if they wanted soda in a package form.

The Explorer workers ALL insisted on this. And they were JUST WRONG.

That would clearly be a case of a senior member of the ships staff either reading the instructions wrong and passing down the wrong info to the entire staff or just deciding what they wanted to do. It just seems I strange that things that should be standard across the fleet can vary from ship to ship.

I'm curious of what "those of you in the know" think of the possibility of upgrading drinks packages onboard.

If you've pre-purchased the premium alcohol package but after a couple days into the cruise you wanted to upgrade to Ultimate because you find yourself drinking lots of coffees and juice instead. (Or from Select to Premium to get other wines and spirits)

1 - Would they allow that to be upgraded and

2 - would they prorata the price based on the days left or do you think they'd make you pay for the previous days too?

I'm curious of what "those of you in the know" think of the possibility of upgrading drinks packages onboard.

If you've pre-purchased the premium alcohol package but after a couple days into the cruise you wanted to upgrade to Ultimate because you find yourself drinking lots of coffees and juice instead. (Or from Select to Premium to get other wines and spirits)

2 - would they prorata the price based on the days left or do you think they'd make you pay for the previous days too?

This is all I could find on upgrading:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=336&faqSubjectName=Food+%26+Beverage&faqId=5812

My guess would be that they would not charge you for the days you did not have the higher package.

It seems strange though that it would be several crew members that don't know of this policy. I could see the odd bartender or 2 not knowing about it but to have the staff at guest services not know I find a little hard to believe.

It almost seems like a few ships are doing this on purpose and betting on the fact that most people do not know about the policy or if they do that they won't complain.

Sounds like an eager Hotel Director trying to increase revenue.

Exactly

From Royal Caribbean's FAQ page http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/subject.do?faqSubjectName=Food+%26+Beverage&faqSubjectId=336&faqType=faq

Q: Can I purchase the all-inclusive beverage packages for selected days?

A: No. The package must be purchased by all stateroom guests, 21 years of age or older, for the entire cruise length.

Q: Can we purchase the package for selected days?

A: Onboard, the all-inclusive packages are available for purchase throughout the voyage with at least 4 days remaining. Must be purchased for the duration of the cruise; prorated price based on date of purchase.

I think they could make it less confusing by saying you can't pick days, but you can pick which day that your package starts, providing there are at least 4 days remaining.

Q: Who proofreads their marketing materials?

A: No one.

From Royal Caribbean's FAQ page http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/subject.do?faqSubjectName=Food+%26+Beverage&faqSubjectId=336&faqType=faq

Q: Can I purchase the all-inclusive beverage packages for selected days?

A: No. The package must be purchased by all stateroom guests, 21 years of age or older, for the entire cruise length.

Q: Can we purchase the package for selected days?

A: Onboard, the all-inclusive packages are available for purchase throughout the voyage with at least 4 days remaining. Must be purchased for the duration of the cruise; prorated price based on date of purchase.

I think they could make it less confusing by saying you can't pick days, but you can pick which day that your package starts, providing there are at least 4 days remaining.

Q: Who proofreads their marketing materials?

A: No one.

A couple weeks ago I sent that page into them to tell them that they need to change it, that it's no longer true. That the whole cabin does NOT have to buy the same package.

They responded with "thanks, I'll forward it", and then a HUGE blurb about all their new packages and how you don't have to buy the same package as the others in your cabin, etc etc etc.

I read through the email 4 times or so before I finally saw the "thanks, I'll forward it" bit.

The formatting of responses is done really really poorly. And I don't know what's taking them so long to change the bit about everyone in the cabin having to buy the same thing.

Someone mentioning these drinks packages in 2012...unless it was a test program, no, these new packages rolled out in late 2013. Go back to that time and you can see the many many posts about the Brand New packages. I was here because our first-since-2003 RCCL cruise was in Jan of 2014, and we were VERY excited to try out a drinks package that not everyone had to buy.

Someone mentioning these drinks packages in 2012...unless it was a test program, no, these new packages rolled out in late 2013. Go back to that time and you can see the many many posts about the Brand New packages. I was here because our first-since-2003 RCCL cruise was in Jan of 2014, and we were VERY excited to try out a drinks package that not everyone had to buy.

My recollection is that they started the drink packages on a small number of ships in Europe, as a test program. When the test program started, there was no requirement that everyone in a stateroom had to buy the package. I believe it was not very long (maybe a month or so) before they raised the price and required all guests in the stateroom to buy the package. The test program went on for some months that way, and then was expanded fleet wide, I think in late 2012.

Not sure about going from Premium to Ultimate but we're just off the Allure yesterday and my wife upgraded from the soda to the Premium package on day 2. They went back and credited her for all but 1 day of the soda package when they did the upgrade. Guest Services told us right before that she would get no credit for the soda package but sent us to Cafe Promenade to do the upgrade. The guy there got his manager to do the credit.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I decided to get the Ultimate package on 19May2014 and GS said I would have to pay for all 7 days. I had to buy the package from the Cafe Promenade bar. The bar staff also told me the package was not prorated, that it would be the full amount and that they had ran out of souvenir cups. So I went ahead and bought the package expecting to pay $455, but when I got back to the room, they only charged me $389.99 ($4.99 more than the Premium package). I was glad about that. I went back the next day to Cafe Promenade and asked about the souvenir cup and he said they still do not have any, but would try to do something else instead. Checked my account later on and they credited me three amounts totaling $19.98. My situation worked out, but they need to decide what they are doing and let everyone, including themselves, know about it.

At least on NOS, there was no requirement on my sailing for all guest in a stateroom to buy a beverage package. I bought mine, but did not have to buy the other guest one.

Edited by Pente85Camino

I decided to get the Ultimate package on 19May2014 and GS said I would have to pay for all 7 days. I had to buy the package from the Cafe Promenade bar. The bar staff also told me the package was not prorated, that it would be the full amount and that they had ran out of souvenir cups. So I went ahead and bought the package expecting to pay $455, but when I got back to the room, they only charged me $389.99 ($4.99 more than the Premium package). I was glad about that. I went back the next day to Cafe Promenade and asked about the souvenir cup and he said they still do not have any, but would try to do something else instead. Checked my account later on and they credited me three amounts totaling $19.98. My situation worked out, but they need to decide what they are doing and let everyone, including themselves, know about it.

Frustrating the way the ships cannot handle these packages consistently.