Question About Shows

palermo22

In a few weeks we will be given an opportunity to select our specialty restaurants; however, in order to know what time we should make the reservations we need to know what time the show(s) are on the Marina. For those of you who are past cruisers on the Marina - can you give us an idea what type of shows are performed and what time they start?

In a few weeks we will be given an opportunity to select our specialty restaurants; however, in order to know what time we should make the reservations we need to know what time the show(s) are on the Marina. For those of you who are past cruisers on the Marina - can you give us an idea what type of shows are performed and what time they start?

The shows start around 930pm. They are a mixture of shows featuring the Marina dancers and singers (don't know what they are called now since the same company that does the Riviera shows took over early this year, a comedian, maybe a variety act. They offer a diversion, but many of the passengers will miss them for a late dinner or drinks, or just an early night if it is a port intensive cruise.

We found if we shared a table in the specialty restaurants we usually didn't make the shows as the conversation was so lively at the table, the time passed by too quickly and we missed the show. We usually had a 7:30 reservation when we missed the show.

Is there any problem with coming in late? And how long do they last?

Usually start about 9:45 done by 10:30pm

sometimes they will have a special show earlier but not often

On our trip the shows were at 9:45 each night. If you wanted a good choice of seats you had to get their at 9:15 for the big shows. If you came late many times no seat. They also had movies on deck some nights starting around 8.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Hi Palermo. I don't really have anything to add, as I don't go to many of the shows (just too tired most nights as I do a LOT of walking about in the various ports). If they have a magician, I'll go, but the musical productions, while good, usually lose out to the desire to take it easy in the stateroom, plotting the next day's adventures! Anyway, I just wanted to say hello from a daughter of an FSO who was assigned to Bonn in the 60s. We lived on Turmstrasse in the American Foreign Service community (Plittersdorf, maybe? I can't remember, it has been so long). I have no idea if it's still there. I shook John Kennedy's hand when he visited there. I've loved Germany ever since, and I think Germany is highly under-rated as a tourist destination. We did, however, find that river cruises go down the Rhine and Mosel, and took a wonderful river cruise with Viking. Unfortunately, the ship passed Bonn in the middle of the night, so I didn't get to see the banks of the Rhine there.

Hi Palermo. I don't really have anything to add, as I don't go to many of the shows (just too tired most nights as I do a LOT of walking about in the various ports). If they have a magician, I'll go, but the musical productions, while good, usually lose out to the desire to take it easy in the stateroom, plotting the next day's adventures! Anyway, I just wanted to say hello from a daughter of an FSO who was assigned to Bonn in the 60s. We lived on Turmstrasse in the American Foreign Service community (Plittersdorf, maybe? I can't remember, it has been so long). I have no idea if it's still there. I shook John Kennedy's hand when he visited there. I've loved Germany ever since, and I think Germany is highly under-rated as a tourist destination. We did, however, find that river cruises go down the Rhine and Mosel, and took a wonderful river cruise with Viking. Unfortunately, the ship passed Bonn in the middle of the night, so I didn't get to see the banks of the Rhine there.

Roothy - thanks for writing. I see you are from Maryland - I am from Baltimore and lived mostly in the Washington, DC area when I wasn't overseas. You have a good memory, Plittersdorf was the area in Bad Godesburg (Bonn) where the embassy and American Community lived. I would guess most of that housing was turned over to the Germans now that the embassy is in Berlin. My office window in the embassy faced the Rhine where you could watch boats going up and down all day long.

Yep, I loved having the Rhine so close, and was fascinated by the white tourist ships that passed so often on their journey to see castles, the Lorelei, vineyards, etc. And of course the ruins of the Bod Godesburg castle certainly caught my attention as a kid (I was pretty young).

After the assignment in Germany, we came back to DC for a while. I'm now living in the far reaches of Silver Spring.

Anyway, enjoy your Baltic cruise. We did one 2 years ago (as you can probably guess, as I answered a couple questions) and it was fantastic. There was a lot of variety in that area, and other than going to Copenhagen for a short vacation while we were in Germany(all I remember is Tivoli!), I had not been to any of the ports...well, except western Berlin with my parents in the 60s. It has changed just a bit!!