Oasis windjammer don't waste your time

RBD

Ughh that's discouraging

Does the Park Cafe have the variety that WJ would ?

I cannot believe the WJ is smaller compared to other classes?!?!

No, Park Cafe does not have the large variety that is found on Windjammer on other ships. There's just not the physical space in Park Cafe for that much food.

Yeah ya know I've only been on 3 cruises, 4th upcoming in August, but before I ever went on one all I heard about was the buffet. My wife absolutely HATES the buffet, not just the food, but because its always cold food. She hates both. Me I usually find a few things I can live with, but overall I am not a huge fan. We really only sail "Explorer" out of NJ because that's where we live, and we go to the main dining room for breakfast. That is VERY good. When we get Quantum, then "Liberty", then "Anthem" we will have much more choice for breakfast, and for meals in general. I suspect when we get those new ships we probably never, not once go to the WJ. In fact I'd say that's a certainty.

I sincerely hope that those of you who found the WindJammer less than you expected whether it was the food, crowd or seating made your thoughts known by way of comment cards or surveys or simply address an email to RCCL customer service. The only way to get a cruise line to make changes is to hear from their customers directly, not expect they sit and read Cruise Critic or Face Book. As one poster said, for every one bad review posted here, there may be several people who had a good experience but they don't post. We are booked on Oasis for 14 days in May 2015 so if there are some things that need changing, help us out and get them changed before we get there, please! :D

I sincerely hope that those of you who found the WindJammer less than you expected whether it was the food, crowd or seating made your thoughts known by way of comment cards or surveys or simply address an email to RCCL customer service. The only way to get a cruise line to make changes is to hear from their customers directly, not expect they sit and read Cruise Critic or Face Book. As one poster said, for every one bad review posted here, there may be several people who had a good experience but they don't post. We are booked on Oasis for 14 days in May 2015 so if there are some things that need changing, help us out and get them changed before we get there, please! :D

The first time that we sailed Oasis I most certainly let RCI know what I thought of the Windjammer. And I didn't have much good to say about it.

Edited by Ocean Boy

The first time that we sailed Oasis I most certainly let RCI know what I thought of the Windjammer. And I didn't have much good to say about it.

Since you didn't say, I'll ask: When was your first sailing on Oasis?What was your major complaints with WindJammer? Did you receive any response to your comments and has anything changed since your first sailing?Thanks for taking the time to post.

I'm happy to find this out about the Allure before I drag all 9 of our family in there. We went to the Windjammer on the Navigator some mornings and the MDR other mornings but they didn't have the choices of venues that the Oasis class has.

Isn't the wipeout cafe close to the Flowrider? I know my kids are going to want to hit that Flowrider every morning when it opens. If so, that sounds like a great option to meet up there for breakfast with family and be able to watch whoever wants to get on the Flowrider. Does anybody know what the choices are at Wipeout other than the eggs?

Thanks,

Debbie

Since you didn't say, I'll ask: When was your first sailing on Oasis?What was your major complaints with WindJammer? Did you receive any response to your comments and has anything changed since your first sailing?Thanks for taking the time to post.

Besides not having enough real estate the design of the area is just really poor for traffic flow. The room is shaped like a "U" so people would be walking in one direction and if they did not find a table they would turn and be walking into people walking in the opposite direction. Food stations are very close to the seating areas which adds to the congestion. Most frustrating was the management running the area. There were times when parts of the Windjammer were closed off when seating was really tight. I could understand not having all of the food stations open if they were not expecting so many people but to keep tables closed off when there was no place to sit was unacceptable. And the food selection was no where near as wide as we had experienced on other ships.

I can't say if things have improved since our first sailing as we don't go there any longer for breakfast or lunch.

I like the windjammer when we get there when it opens and beat the crowd, for breakfast that is..........I am still amazed the size of it on a big ship. Not saying it is a good meal, but its a meal.

We try to eat and get the heck out of there.

The food, well what do you expect for a buffet. But, we manage. Maybe that is why we maintain or lose weight when we cruise.:eek:

The coffee always was bad..........

I used to say that no one can ruin a breakfast, I was wrong.

Sea Ya

We have enjoyed the windjammer on all ships except the Oasis class. Have never enjoyed a good meal there. Tried it a couple of times on Oasis in April just to grab a quick bite before excursion but it was never a satisfying experience. We will stick to Park or Wipeout cafe or MDR when available.

I'm happy to find this out about the Allure before I drag all 9 of our family in there. We went to the Windjammer on the Navigator some mornings and the MDR other mornings but they didn't have the choices of venues that the Oasis class has.

Isn't the wipeout cafe close to the Flowrider? I know my kids are going to want to hit that Flowrider every morning when it opens. If so, that sounds like a great option to meet up there for breakfast with family and be able to watch whoever wants to get on the Flowrider. Does anybody know what the choices are at Wipeout other than the eggs?

Thanks,

Debbie

The wipeout had made to order eggs and then some fruit, the hash brown triangle things you find in the WJ, toast/bagels/etc..., French toast and pastry from what I remember from March.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by thebooth

The Windjammer is fine, its a buffet that caters to thousands of passengers, and there is a variety/assortment of foods for everybody, if you cant find things to eat you have a problem. This buffet was kept spotless and was neat and clean, unlike buffets one would go to at home which are filthy and very rarely pass f.d.a. inspection reports. We do not eat at buffets at home but the Windjammer is definitely wonderful considering it is a buffet.

The Windjammer is the ONLY PLACE that allowed me to find assortments/variety of food. I have to be both gluten free and dairy free, the other venue's for breakfast and lunch didn't provide me anything more than just fruit and an egg with the exception of the Solarium Cafe that only gave red purple color turkey bacon which was chewy and gross and turkey sausage which was so soft in texture. Lunch also in these other venus didn't provide me anything other than fruit to eat.

Johnny Rockets is a fast food type place and we never considering going to this because we do not eat fast food and again, I am positive they use fillers to which contain gluten.

Edited by lyndamr

I don't recall the food quality at Windjammer being better or worse on Oasis, but I know I was surprised that the one on Grandeur actually seemed larger, maybe it was similar sized but laid out better. I found both too hectic to go there more than a couple of times for breakfast or lunch. Plus the food was better in the dining room.

Sent from my Event using Forums mobile app

Edited by fluffysue

I have mixed feelings of the Oasis windjammer. It is an absolute zoo on embarkation day and definitely stay away then -- that I won't debate.

As far as other options on the Oasis, I think a major strength of the Oasis class is that there are so many other free food options that are great to go to instead of the Windjammer, particularly in the mornings.

All that said, I've found the food to be on par with other Windjammers and have pretty good variety. They have surprisingly good Indian dishes that change daily in the international section.

There also is a fair bit of space in the back, but most people tend to jam up the entry area so things can seem worse than they are.

If you want crowded, I always think it is hilarious how jammed the wipeout cafe is for lunch/snacks. Tons of options on the boat and all people want is a burger, hot dog and fries!

Johnny rockets is a great place for breakfast, we ate there most mornings on our b2b on oasis. Sadly the worst day for WJ is the last day as most other venues are closed. Horrible lines, had to search for plates and utensils and very few items to choose from.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree. The WJ on the Oasis class is just not good. Fortunately the rest of the ship makes up for it. :)

Have to say that the Oceanview Cafe on the Reflection was a breath of fresh air. It reminded me of the WJ ten years ago. Plenty of choices with nice islands so no log jams.

I agree. The WJ on the Oasis class is just not good. Fortunately the rest of the ship makes up for it. :)

Have to say that the Oceanview Cafe on the Reflection was a breath of fresh air. It reminded me of the WJ ten years ago. Plenty of choices with nice islands so no log jams.

Oceanview on Silhouette had the best buffet layout I've ever seen on a cruise ship, bar none. I sincerely hope RCI is looking to its sister line for design tips for the Windjammer on the Quantum Class.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Just back from Oasis May 17th sailing - tip of the day/week/year

Don't waste your time or bother going to the Windjammer for breakfast lunch" etc. it has completely lost value, food quality etc. you have so many better options, Park Cafe, Solarium Cafe, even the Wipeout Cafe. Food much fresher, friendlier atmosphere, no "pushing and shoving" cleaner, better organized, must I go on. Bottom line avoid the Windjammer!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Agreed, we were on the same sailing. Poor food, poor service. We went for dinner first night as DD16 wasn't feeling so great just wanted to pick at some stuff. Food quality was very poor, tasted steamed and overdone. Waited almost 20 minutes for a glass of wine, table was never cleared. Had about an ounce of wine left in my glass and called over a supervisor to ask for another. I was told that I couldn't get one until I had finished my first one :eek: you should have seen the steam coming out of my ears, but it was first night and I wasn't sure how the drink package worked so didn't want to make a fuss, but I sure felt like a child whose hand had been smacked. I said fine, but can I provide some feedback on food and service and shared my concerns on the food, lack of service and pointed to the stack of dirty plates on the table which were crowding the food we were still eating. All he wanted to focus on was the food quality not talk about service. He offered to bring out the chef but I said no. Tried it a couple of other times for breakfast and lunch and service, and food, was very spotty. Last day though was spot on as they encouraged us to rate them as a 10..... NOT.

If you want crowded, I always think it is hilarious how jammed the wipeout cafe is for lunch/snacks. Tons of options on the boat and all people want is a burger, hot dog and fries!

Yup, I really like those pretzel dogs in there!:)

This is helpful, as our usual cruise routine/tradition is to board and go right to the "feeding frenzy" with everyone else at the buffet; it part of the fun. However, our first Oasis cruise is coming up, and it sounds like we will want to rethink that plan this time. What do you guys suggest as the best spot to hit for lunch on embarkation day?

My past experience on Grandeur and Majesty was that the WJ was too crowded at peak meal times, but not horrible if a little off peak. Based on what I am reading here, on my upcoming Oasis cruise, I will probably avoid the WJ and try some of the other options for breakfast.