1 Day Layover in Barcelona (NCL Epic Cruise) What to Do?

legion455

Hi All,

My Husband & I are having our 15th anniversary by taking NCL Epic for a 7 night Cruise Roundtrip from Barcelona June 1, 2014. (our 10th Anniversary was RCI Alaska Inside Passage)

Anyway, we're flying in to Barcelona one day early Sat, May 31, and staying at the AC Hotel SOM (Marriott) and was wondering what should we do for that pre-cruise day? We have all day Saturday free.

Can anyone give us some tips on what "WOW" sights/places to go see in Barcelona, and what Restaraunt ($50+ per person) to eat at on Saturday evening before the cruise starts?

After the cruise, we 'are' taking the City Highlights and Transfer back to the airport, but would like to spend the day in Barcelona before the cruise wisely as we've never been there before.

Thanks, way in advance, for any hints/tips

Lynn & Allen

The magic fountain is excellent for something to do in the evening. Daytime there's lots to do but I recommend Park Guell. I'm sure you'll get lots of replies to this question.

Enjoy your trip and congratulations on your anniversary

If you like Gaudi's architecture, there are several different buildings in the same area, and of course the Sagrada Familia. There's a chocolate museum in the Barri Gothic area, as well as Las Ramblas, the main shopping/eating area. There's a maritime museum where Las Ramblas meets the sea, where much of the Spanish Armada was constructed.

I've also heard good reviews of just getting on the HoHo bus and riding around.

Good for you to come in a day early. Too many do the same day and miss the city, and risk missing the ship.

No idea where that hotel is - most suggest staying on or near Ramblas - great tourist area to walk around.

Anyways, they have an excellent HopOn HopOff bus deal in Barcelona. That can take care of everything for you. Highly suggest it.

HI all, thanks,... I just changed out reservation from AC SOM to Olivia Plaza Hotel,... near Las Ramblas ... looks like a much better place to stay..... and we can walk the street and see the sites form there!

Magic Fountain and Chocolate here we come!!! :)

I loved the convenience of the HoHo bus! My favorite attraction was Casa Battlo by Gaudi. Sagrada Familia is popular but personally I prefer the Cathedral de Barcelona. Park Guell is a great place to visit. Barcelona is a great city!

Hi All,

My Husband & I are having our 15th anniversary by taking NCL Epic for a 7 night Cruise Roundtrip from Barcelona June 1, 2014. (our 10th Anniversary was RCI Alaska Inside Passage)

Anyway, we're flying in to Barcelona one day early Sat, May 31, and staying at the AC Hotel SOM (Marriott) and was wondering what should we do for that pre-cruise day? We have all day Saturday free.

Can anyone give us some tips on what "WOW" sights/places to go see in Barcelona, and what Restaraunt ($50+ per person) to eat at on Saturday evening before the cruise starts?

After the cruise, we 'are' taking the City Highlights and Transfer back to the airport, but would like to spend the day in Barcelona before the cruise wisely as we've never been there before.

Thanks, way in advance, for any hints/tips

Lynn & Allen

Don't miss seeing La Sagrada Familia cathedral which is one of the sightseeing highlights.

I'd recommend doing a circuit on a Hop On Hop Off bus, then deciding where on the route you'd like to spend more time.

We enjoyed Park Guell and also much of Gaudi's works.

Edited by NMLady

HI all, thanks,... I just changed out reservation from AC SOM to Olivia Plaza Hotel,... near Las Ramblas ... looks like a much better place to stay..... and we can walk the street and see the sites form there!

You are going to love Las Ramblas. Plan on having a snack at one of the many sidewalk tables (sandwich is bocadillo) and enjoy the people watching.

The Hop on Hop off bus in Barcelona is one of the best we have been on. It goes all over the town....they give you headphones and tell you what is at each stop. I believe it is like 20 euros per person for a 24 hour pass.

SEGRADA FAMILIA - if you spend any time in Barcelona you MUST go see the Segrada Familia. It is simply incredible. There is usually a very long line to get in, but if you go to viator.com, you can get a guided tour that basically skips the line to get in (the tour guides get a different entry way to get in). The inside is even more incredible than the outside, and the tour is worth it. The tour office is actually right across a little park from the Segrada, but you want to get your tickets online before you go.

LA RAMBLA - This is a great walk...lots of vendors and restaurants, etc...make sure you do the whole walk, and do it during the day. I have heard (at least in the past) that La Rambla can get a little seedy at night (Trip Advisor mentioned this)

PARK GUIELL (or however you spell it) - again, more Gaudi inspired works

Last but not least, be very wary of pickpockets. They are everywhere and they are good.....if you see some sort of disurbance (argument, or something like that) keep an eye on your valuables.

Barcelona is a great city, and you will have a ton of fun on your cruise. We have been there twice on cruises, and loved it as well as the entire Mediterranean experience.

And one final word of warning.....cruising the Med is VERY ADDICTING.....there is nothing quite like it. My wife and I first cruised the Med in 2012, and decided to go back in 2015.....well, we went back in 2013, we are doing Baltics in 2014, and we are back in the Med in 2015 again.....you will see things that are simply amazing, and will have the chance to walk back in time and see history unfold in front of you. Have fun!!!

We are going 2 weeks after you and we are excited. WE are flying in the morning of the cruise instead (Husband's crazy work schedule) and staying a day later after our cruise.

There is a ton of information on the port of call message board in the Spain port. There are a few postings for the link to purchase advance tickets to the most visited sites.

Have fun and enjoy.

There is no debate here. Buy pre timed admission for la sagrada familia and then immediately upon entering and bypassing the throngs of people waiting to buy tix to enter go to your left and buy tix for the elevator to go to the steeples and then WALK down. Incredible experience. After that walk to las ramblas via the gothic quarter ( where you can pay to enter the gothic cathedral) at las ramblas just enjoy the sites sit at a sidewalk cafe and sip huge sangrias and eat tapas and never let you purse/ wallet out if your site

Barcelona. Rome. Venice. Etc are all plagued by street pickpockets and even at times hotel safe issues as well as ATM crime

Barcelona unfortunately is near top of the list I even know locals who have been victims. Just sayin

If at all possible you should also try to go to parc guell ( google pix of it)

I would suggest a taxi though as you time is limited and the metro stations for parc guell are quite a distance from the place

Barcelona is incredible I have been there 3 times

Edited by Crusin6

The Hop on Hop off bus in Barcelona is one of the best we have been on. It goes all over the town....they give you headphones and tell you what is at each stop. I believe it is like 20 euros per person for a 24 hour pass.

SEGRADA FAMILIA - if you spend any time in Barcelona you MUST go see the Segrada Familia. It is simply incredible. There is usually a very long line to get in, but if you go to viator.com, you can get a guided tour that basically skips the line to get in (the tour guides get a different entry way to get in). The inside is even more incredible than the outside, and the tour is worth it. The tour office is actually right across a little park from the Segrada, but you want to get your tickets online before you go.

LA RAMBLA - This is a great walk...lots of vendors and restaurants, etc...make sure you do the whole walk, and do it during the day. I have heard (at least in the past) that La Rambla can get a little seedy at night (Trip Advisor mentioned this)

PARK GUIELL (or however you spell it) - again, more Gaudi inspired works

Last but not least, be very wary of pickpockets. They are everywhere and they are good.....if you see some sort of disurbance (argument, or something like that) keep an eye on your valuables.

Barcelona is a great city, and you will have a ton of fun on your cruise. We have been there twice on cruises, and loved it as well as the entire Mediterranean experience.

And one final word of warning.....cruising the Med is VERY ADDICTING.....there is nothing quite like it. My wife and I first cruised the Med in 2012, and decided to go back in 2015.....well, we went back in 2013, we are doing Baltics in 2014, and we are back in the Med in 2015 again.....you will see things that are simply amazing, and will have the chance to walk back in time and see history unfold in front of you. Have fun!!!

Once you cruise the med the Carib almost seems like going to the jersey shore. Lol

May I now suggest that you do the gothic quarter parc guell and las ramblas on the day you check in

Then the following day leave your luggage with the concierge at the hotel and do the timed admission to sagrada on Sunday? If course being careful to book tix after masses times.

Not sure what time you embark but because it is Barcelona and you actually have 2 days ease use every minute to the hilt

I used to dislike barca but I have since learned to adore that city. Rome will always be first though. Lol

There is no debate here. Buy pre timed admission for la sagrada familia and then immediately upon entering and bypassing the throngs of people waiting to buy tix to enter go to your left and buy tix for the elevator to go to the steeples and then WALK down. Incredible experience. After that walk to las ramblas via the gothic quarter ( where you can pay to enter the gothic cathedral) at las ramblas just enjoy the sites sit at a sidewalk cafe and sip huge sangrias and eat tapas and never let you purse/ wallet out if your site

Barcelona. Rome. Venice. Etc are all plagued by street pickpockets and even at times hotel safe issues as well as ATM crime

Barcelona unfortunately is near top of the list I even know locals who have been victims. Just sayin

If at all possible you should also try to go to parc guell ( google pix of it)

I would suggest a taxi though as you time is limited and the metro stations for parc guell are quite a distance from the place

Barcelona is incredible I have been there 3 times

Ugh, hotel safe crime? Where in the world do you store passports and credit cards in barca? We were going straight to hotel to store our things before we walk les rambles. Did you wear yours on you? I really hate to spend time worrying about this.

OP, we arrive the same morning as you, flying in from Miami. We have a segway tour booked of the gothic quarter because I decided after a red eye we would need to be active. Then we're going to wander.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ugh, hotel safe crime? Where in the world do you store passports and credit cards in barca? We were going straight to hotel to store our things before we walk les rambles. Did you wear yours on you? I really hate to spend time worrying about this.

OP, we arrive the same morning as you, flying in from Miami. We have a segway tour booked of the gothic quarter because I decided after a red eye we would need to be active. Then we're going to wander.

Umm. Yes. Hotel safe crime.

Case in point I have first hand knowledge of thieves empting out a suitcase of it contents and then removing the entire safe from i side the closet and putting it in the suitcase and rolling it away

Doesn't matter what you do or believe but yes hotel crime is happening and I have used safes and have also avoided certain safes in hotels as well

The smart traveler evaluates the safe before using it. Looks at the bolts and wether it is key or keypad operated and then decides to use it or not

If one chooses not to use it then a secure travel purse/ belt is mandatory

And no the sky is not falli g but I have traveled enough to know that there are way too many newbie travelers out there that just do not recognize the potential security issues

Enough said and for those who will now post that they refuse to live in fear my answer is of course do not live in fear but have backup an b c and d at the ready

And yes many many times I have toured big cities with all of my cash credit cards and passports on me. Because it is safely on my person and violent street crime is rare. And I have travel safe bags and backup cards and cash

No need to take chances and no need to constantly be worried either but I will not use certain safes if I seem them flimsy

Edited by Crusin6

Thanks for the reply. You're right, evaluate and plan. We definitely use travel belts. Can't wait for our trip. We have never been to barcelona before (or to any of these ports) we did experience numbers of pick pockets in Athens.

Thanks for the reply. You're right, evaluate and plan. We definitely use travel belts. Can't wait for our trip. We have never been to barcelona before (or to any of these ports) we did experience numbers of pick pockets in Athens.

Enjoy making memories on your trip!!!

Just an FYI. My ATM card was cloned in Venice and I had to block the account immediately. It was good I had my iPad and when checking my account that night I saw the fraud. Had I not had wifi access I wouldn't have know for weeks and my travel account wod have been totally drained

Fortunately I always have a backup ATM card linked to another account on me plus several credit cards and sufficient sometimes even excessive cash on me when traveling abroad

I would have been in real trouble had I not. Because the bank had to block the account

Love the med though. Always have. Always will!!!

You can do a lot on your own. However, going on a tour you get to see more and have a guide.

We used Barcelona Day Tours and liked them.

If you DTY, suggest doing the Las Ramblas and the Bari Gothic area with the old Cathedral. Then take the METRO or a cab to La Sagrada Familia and Parc Guell. You will see more on a BDT. It seemed like a four hour tour cost pp about 67 euros.

For restaurants, I have some great choices.

ATN, which was located close to a Roman excavation of tombs just off Las Ramblas on Canuda Street. The restaurant was open, even though it was about early by Spanish dinner standards. We had a wonderful meal with great service. Separate checks were not a problem with a party of six and credit cards were accepted. The next day, we had dinner at small tapas restaurant near the Plaza Sant Just on Palma De Sant Just. That restaurant, Bodega LaPalma, was not modern like ATN, but small and rustic. The tapas were excellent, with large servings for very reasonable prices. I highly recommend both restaurants.

Another great tapas restaurant is Cuines Santa Caterina.

It is located on the corner of a large market about 100 yards east of the Cathedral Square, across the street from the Gothic area.

We have spent 6 nights in Barcelona over two different trips and will return for another night (God willing) in 2015.

Barcelona is one of my favorite cities. I agree with the suggestion to visit the Gaudi buildings. The metro is very easy to use and provides easy transportation to everywhere in the city. Casa Batlo and La Sagrada Familia as well as Casa Mila are all amazing. We toured both Casa Batlo and Casa Mila and Casa Batlo was my favorite. Gaudi was an incredible designer who was ahead of his time as you will see if you go through one of the buildings.

On our next visit we plan to head back to Les Quinze Nits for lunch (a bit hard to find off of Las Ramblas but good food for decent prices and wonderful Sangria), visit Las Ramblas and then head to Park Guell. We will be there on a Sunday again and almost all of the little shops near Park Guell were open on that day so should be a fun day again.

Don't be worried about pickpockets, just be very aware at all times. Even children can be used to cause a distraction. I have a nice travel purse that is cross body with lots of interior compartments. Plan ahead and you will have a wonderful time. I am sure you will find you wish you had another day. :)

Oh, by the way.. we tried to go to the Magic Fountains and it was closed. We waited along with many, many other people for over an hour before we realized it. I can't remember what day of the week it was, but be sure to check the schedule before heading there.

was just there in september. best thing tl do is the hop on hop off bus. takes you everywhere. we loved the olympic stadium, the gaudi house, las ramblas, and the gaudi cathedral, if you can get in. loved walking around the old city. can't really recommend any good restaurants, just drink the cava! we are doing a cruise next may and will spend two days there