Book a guarantee cabin or wait for price break

SeasTheDay12

I have always selected my cabin on cruises trying to watch out for locations, noise, best view.... Can someone with guaranteed pricing experience please tell me - IF you purchase - how long on average - does it take to get your assigned cabin on a cruise already in final payment?

IF you don't like the cabin assigned, are you still able to pay the higher fare and select the cabin number you prefer?

And if there are two categories - as in A1 and A2 - they say the selection is computer generated, but am I correct they would assign the A2 cabins first?

The gambler in me thinks with a lot of cabins showing available I may be better off to wait for a price break since it is in final, I would be committed otherwise.

PLEASE Help! :confused:

Thanks for any advice:o

If you are in the US, there is little risk in booking a guarantee cabin....see what you get assigned. If you don't like it, just cancel the booking..no penalty. There is no fixed time between booking a guarantee and getting a cabin assignement....sometimes it's 24 hours, sometimes it's when you arrive to get on the ship. Yes, they normally assign the lowest category that fits the guarantee, but then again, sometimes you do a guaranteed suite and get a royal suite....again, no rhyme or reason. Finally, if you do get a cabin assigned in a class you're comfortable with, but you prefer a different cabin that's available in that exact same class, celebrity will almost always allow you to swap cabins.

Hope the above helps.

If you are in the US, there is little risk in booking a guarantee cabin....see what you get assigned. If you don't like it, just cancel the booking..no penalty. There is no fixed time between booking a guarantee and getting a cabin assignement....sometimes it's 24 hours, sometimes it's when you arrive to get on the ship. Yes, they normally assign the lowest category that fits the guarantee, but then again, sometimes you do a guaranteed suite and get a royal suite....again, no rhyme or reason. Finally, if you do get a cabin assigned in a class you're comfortable with, but you prefer a different cabin that's available in that exact same class, celebrity will almost always allow you to swap cabins.

Hope the above helps.

Thank you for sharing how it works....I was concerned about making the wrong decision because the cruise is in final payment. I don't think I can just cancel, but at least I can change within the category....or "upgrade" by selecting the full payment amount.

Yes - it helps a lot- THANKS again!

Thank you for sharing how it works....I was concerned about making the wrong decision because the cruise is in final payment. I don't think I can just cancel, but at least I can change within the category....or "upgrade" by selecting the full payment amount.

Yes - it helps a lot- THANKS again!

Whoa...inside final payment things change....you should still be able to change within category, but that's not guaranteed.

I've booked a number of guarantees and will continue to do so as long as the savings are there.

I've booked guarantee cabins both before and after final payment date. In all cases my cabin has been assigned at some random date between the day I booked and sometime prior to the sail date. Only once has my cabin assignment been given prior to final payment date. I'd say that it is typically assigned 4-6 weeks prior to sailing but that's just my experience. Call me crazy but waiting to see what cabin I've been assigned is kind of fun. You don't get any sort of e-mail (except from your TA perhaps) so you have to go to the Celebrity website every now and then.

As far as cabin assignments, I've never received what I would consider a "bad" cabin. Most tend to be near the bow of the ship and have generally been 1-2 categories above the lowest possible. I've never tried to switch my cabin as any I have seen as still available have been no better than the one I was assigned.

Once I tried to pay to upgrade after final payment date but was told I would have to pay a cancellation penalty then pay the fare currently being offered (there was a fairly large price drop on Aqua class that enticed me). I stuck with the cabin I was assigned.

If booking a guarantee, be prepared to be in a cabin you may not normally book. Take a moment to ask yourself if the money you save will offset any bad feelings you will have if you get assigned a cabin you don't think you'll want. Luckily on Celebrity there aren't a lot of what I would call bad cabins.

All in all I would book a guarantee tomorrow. The money I have saved has allowed me to cruise more often which is really what it's all about. It helps that I'm not too picky about which cabin I get. Get me on the ship and it's all good!

RickT - I really appreciate your thoughts... And I need to change my thinking. I tend to OVER select the cabin and waste too much time doing it.

In this case- the cruise is already in final payment and they have not done a price drop. They have offered the lower guarantee instead, but they still have a good size inventory.

I was feeling like if I take the guarantee - then days later - they drop the price and I could have a better cabin than the guarantee.

I also would feel better knowing what cabin I am assigned earlier rather than the day I board.

Like you, I want MORE cruises. The only way to feed my cruise habit is to get better priced cabins, so time for NEW THINKING....LOL

Thanks for your time!

:)

RickT - I really appreciate your thoughts... And I need to change my thinking. I tend to OVER select the cabin and waste too much time doing it.

In this case- the cruise is already in final payment and they have not done a price drop. They have offered the lower guarantee instead, but they still have a good size inventory.

I was feeling like if I take the guarantee - then days later - they drop the price and I could have a better cabin than the guarantee.

I also would feel better knowing what cabin I am assigned earlier rather than the day I board.

Like you, I want MORE cruises. The only way to feed my cruise habit is to get better priced cabins, so time for NEW THINKING....LOL

Thanks for your time!

:)

Wait for a price drop. Just by your tone, you will not be happy with a guarantee especially if the price drops in a month. If there is a lot of inventory then it will be on one of the Tuesday specials soon. I just recently booked a month out because I waited and there was a good price drop. One week later the price dropped even more and I was bummed because I was willing to wait and didn't.

either way, enjoy your cruise

We're booked many guarantee cabins and none has been the lowest available category. Most were mid to high choices of veranda cabins. I don't recall more than one or two that were forward. We are not picky nor are we prone to seasickness, so the savings are a very real inducement.

If you're looking at AQ guarantees, I can tell you they assign the A2s first. I simply waited until all the A2s were gone and then booked the AQ guarantee, knowing I would get an A1. This was on an M class ship and we wanted to be in the new cabins.

Thank you all for the additional comments....Yes, this is an A1 I am hoping for on M class.... The cruise is only 6 weeks away, in final payment - so if I book, there is no turning back except upgrade.

I cruise a lot like many of you - and surprised they have not done price breaks yet other than adding the Guarantee... It will be a long wait as 15 A2 available...

Several times a day - I load in my choice and my finger doesn't press the CONFIRM button...LOL....

Did you ever feel like - oh you better DO IT! Oh, you're gonna be SORRY! hahahahaha.

This is NO big deal in the scheme of things in life..... I am the cause of my own suffering. And I probably be sorry no matter which way I go...:o

I'll break down and DO something just for the relief of the decision!

The input has been great! Thanks again

:confused:

I'll break down and DO something just for the relief of the decision!

That's what I did and wish I would have waited. At this point the prices are not going up, only down with that much inventory available. I can't see any upside to booking now. Just keep tabs on the inventory.

I book a guarantee any time I can get it...

The prices are usually about as low as you'll get for that category...

IF the prices go down, it's easy to call Celebrity (or have your TA call) and switch the booking to another rate...

I've never gotten my cabin assignment really late in the game...When it's been assigned, I've been able to call and switch cabins within the same category as well...

Last two times I've booked Concierge guarantees, been assigned C2s and have been able to switch both to highly desirable "hump" C2s with extra large balconies in great locations--couldn't have done better if I had hand-picked my own cabins originally, and my price was much lower...

Worst I ever did was booked a balcony guarantee and got a balcony unobstructed but nearer the fore than I'd prefer...so I had to walk a bit more than usuall...but, all-in-all, really not bad at all...

Just ask yourself "What's the worst cabin in that category on the ship and would I be happy there?" For me, though I'd like to always get that extra large balcony midship, I really do just fine in ANY balcony cabin...heck, even the obstructed views on the S-class aren't all that bad--if I'm getting one on a guarantee for a price as low as an Ocean View!

And, yes, if I truly don't like the assignment, I can either get them to switch it...or pay extra and move up...