Freedom of the Seas~May 4th~Third Week of Cruising: My Diary

No, the Freedom does not have the reservations on their interactive menu. As far as I know it is only available on Oasis class. It is a great feature though, no need to bring a list or calendar of your shows, etc., it is all there on your TV

Oh....ok.....now I understand. You won't need many reservations for anything on the Freedom, so there's really no need for that.

Tuesday ~ May 6th ~ At Sea

Same morning routine. On the way to the Concierge Lounge I snapped a few pictures along the Promenade, which is always very quiet early in the mornings. I just love it then.

Here is the Café Promenade. Great place to get early morning coffee and a muffin.

DSC03812_zps386a0df3.jpg

The lovely Promenade in the early morning.

DSC03814_zps9232522f.jpg

Vintages is much nicer on this ship than on Indy.

DSC03815_zps0d2f8922.jpg

My favorite bridge.

DSC03816_zps1782c65a.jpg

We went down to breakfast around 8:15 or so.....no waiting. We sat with two more couples.....one from Florida, the other from Virginia. Very nice conversation. Good service as well.

Renson had cleaned our room before we got back from breakfast. We gathered all our stuff and headed for the peace and quiet of the Diamond Lounge for more coffee and some reading time. I think I was on my third book by this time.

While we were in the DL, we could hear the Meet and Mingle going on out in Olive or Twist. It felt strange not to be there. It sounded like it was very quick. The regular activities manager, Katie, was not on board that week. She usually runs the M&M's on this ship and does a great job. I didn't post on this roll call because we were trying to surprise someone on the previous cruise on the Indy. I just didn't want her noticing my posting on any roll calls right then.

We stayed in the DL for a while, but some conversations were getting kinda loud, so we went out to the Viking Crown area..Nice views from up there.

DSC03794_zpsff84e364.jpg

DSC03795_zpsa35a05c3.jpg

As we were leaving Deck 14, a bride got off the elevator, heading towards her wedding in the Chapel. Cool!

DSC03827_zps54fae6fa.jpg

So around noon, we decided to check out the WJ. Good decision as it wasn't quite as crowded. We ate again in the peace an quiet of Chops. I was able to get a little bit of bread pudding for dessert....and I got a coconut ranger cookie to go! Love those cookies!

DSC03828_zps3c3cca6f.jpg

DSC04129_zpscc90897b.jpg

I decided I would go to the Ice Show this afternoon. I didn't get around to seeing this the last time we were on board. The show was at 2:30. Bertie told me I didn't need a ticket or a reservation....just to show up and show my sea pass card. It was scanned as I went in. The line was long when I got there at about 1:50. At 2'oclock they opened the doors and we went in quickly....no pushing or shoving as I have experienced in the past. And no angry people trying to save seats as on that geriatric cruise back in December on Indy. I got a front row seat easily and I remembered to wear a sweater and I brought my iPad, so that I could read while waiting for the show to start.

The show started on time and it was very good. Perhaps not as good as some others I've seen, but the ability of the skaters was excellent. It was quite enjoyable and I got a few pictures.DSC03880_zpsa446e0dd.jpg

DSC03834_zps3d202466.jpg

DSC03835_zpsb7a1462f.jpg

DSC03837_zpsbb240fc8.jpg

DSC03840_zps098876b5.jpg

DSC03842_zpscce02307.jpg

And still more. It was a great show!

DSC03862_zps889c26d7.jpg

DSC03863_zps4a843648.jpg

DSC03870_zps65de68ac.jpg

DSC03875_zps52f0e61d.jpg

At the end....Casey...the Cruise director....stumbled out onto the ice and was very funny. As cruise directors go.....he was pretty good.

DSC03877_zps470e70c4.jpg

DSC03881_zpsacdf4aff.jpg

Wonderful! I think you will like those cabins. We heard no noise whatsoever. There was no motion either' date=' but we had calm seas. If you have some bad weather, it could be a different story anywhere on the ship. [b']The problem with the forward cabins is that it is a long walk to go anywhere......even more so than the aft cabins. You have to have a plan when you leave your cabin in the morning because you just can't run back to the cabin for something.[/b] We found it best to go down to deck 5 and walk the length of the ship on the Promenade when going to the dining room or the Windjammer or even the Concierge Lounge. You get used to it.

That's so funny. I guess it all depends on the areas you use the most.

We usually book cabins near the forward elevator bank on Freedom and Voyager class ships because most of the venues we use are at the front of the ship (solarium, fitness center, forward pool deck, etc). I can definitely see it being the opposite in your case, since it looks like you spend a lot of time in the MDR, CL, etc. We booked an aft room on Freedom a few years back and it felt sooo far from everything for us, but probably would have been ideal for you :p

Oh....ok.....now I understand. You won't need many reservations for anything on the Freedom' date=' so there's really no need for that.[/size']

The once night thing about the TV on the Oasis class, spa reservations, specialty reservations show up on the menu. Even without the interactive ability to make or change those, its nice to see them as a reminder.

The rest of the afternoon was spent relaxing in the cabin.

We had drinks in the CL before dinner. There was hardly anyone there tonight.

DSC03882_zps60ef6680.jpg

DSC03883_zpsbe31b896.jpg

The fun loving folks were there!

DSC03885_zps5841b4ea.jpg

As we were walking toward the dining room......Havaa came out to meet us. She whisked us away into the dining room without stopping at the desk. She said she had a better table for us tonight....that she noticed the night before that we were sitting around a lot of children , so she found a better table for us. What service! It was indeed a better table in a quiet corner of the dining room. We had a wonderful waiter named Brian. We chatted with another couple from Florida. They had my favorite pasta dish tonight, so that's what I got. And I tried a new dessert that I haven't had before. I can't remember what it was, but it wasn't very good.

DSC03886_zps6b14d2fa.jpg

DSC03887_zps9f28da70.jpg

DSC03888_zpsa59a9fe3.jpg

Edited by max'smom

That's so funny. I guess it all depends on the areas you use the most.

We usually book cabins near the forward elevator bank on Freedom and Voyager class ships because most of the venues we use are at the front of the ship (solarium, fitness center, forward pool deck, etc). I can definitely see it being the opposite in your case, since it looks like you spend a lot of time in the MDR, CL, etc. We booked an aft room on Freedom a few years back and it felt sooo far from everything for us, but probably would have been ideal for you :p

LOL!!! That IS funny! Yes....those cabins are indeed convenient to the Solarium.....that's a good thing.

Oh, yea, the ice show, I'm glad you reminded me. We are going with another couple that has only been on Majesty and Jewel. They will enjoy this.

Oh....it's always fun to go with people that haven't seen things before. That almost makes it new for me, too!

We caught the tail end of the show tonight......The Unexpected Boys. We had seen them before and it's a great show based on The Jersey Boys. If it is on your sailing, be sure and see it.

DSC03890_zps1ab03a61.jpg

DSC03891_zps18471d2d.jpg

Jane, I'm entirely jealous that you both got to sail 3 weeks consecutively but I'm loving your review.

We also loved the special breakfast seating area on Explorer, and were so disappointed when we realized Freedom didn't have it. Not enough to keep us off the ship, though, as we're planning on sailing her for our end of August vacation.

Look forward to reading more of your review.

Edited by njmomof2

Jane, I'm entirely jealous that you both got to sail 3 weeks consecutively but I'm loving your review.

We also loved the special breakfast seating area on Explorer, and were so disappointed when we realized Freedom didn't have it. Not enough to keep us off the ship, though, as we're planning on sailing her for our end of August vacation.

Look forward to reading more of your review.

Oh wow! The Explorer really knows how to do that breakfast thing, don't they? I mean, those guys are falling all over themselves waiting on you. It is amazing! All the ships need to go take lessons from those guys!!

Good to hear from you again!

Wednesday ~ May 7th ~ St. Thomas

Finally......a port!!!

Up a little earlier this morning. Since we missed Coco Cay we were getting into St. T at 9....hank goodness Their usual porting time of noon is ridiculous!! The day is shot by the time you can realistically get out to the beach or begin on any activity that you have planned. But......today....it should be much better.

Here we are coming into port. Yay!

DSC03894_zps9f20bc3b.jpg

DSC03896_zps2beb7c00.jpg

We had breakfast with more folks from Florida.....a mother daughter duo. Very nice folks. If I am not mistaken I believe the mother (81 years old) participated in the Quest later in the week. She did the split for her team and Casey called her back to do it again....it was so amazing that she could do that. Well....when she did it a second time, she hurt herself very badly. She couldn't even walk back to her seat. She had to be carried. Not sure what happened after that or how seriously she was hurt, but it looked bad. Anyway...when it happened I told John...."That's the lady we had breakfast with the other day!"

DSC03893_zps97247a91.jpg

We were docked by 9:00 and we were behind the Disney Fantasy and the NCL Getaway. Two other ships were at Crown Bay. Lots of people!!!

We were off the ship by 9:30.

DSC03900_zps871a2051.jpg

Scan0049_zpse62d3fb6.jpg

We immediately caught a taxi even though we were way back on the pier. They were right there.

The beach that we have been frequenting in St. Thomas for several years now (Sapphire Beach) has been having some issues lately and we couldn't go there today. So we fell back on another old favorite.....Secret Harbour.

It's been a while since we've been there and things had changed a little. We used to be able to sit in the chairs at the resort (for a fee of course) but they don't allow that any more. So we had to walk down to the dive shop and rent our chairs and umbrella from them. We paid $35 for two chairs and an umbrella. We were off to the side of the resort a little bit but away from the crowds. Yes....unfortunately the place was a little crowded today. Used to be that nobody......particularly cruise passengers, knew about this place, but with the closing of Sapphire....I guess that made things change. Lots of kids here today....it IS a good place to go if you have kids.

DSC03905_zpsdf3ec594.jpg

DSC03911_zpsc8300ccc.jpg

DSC03912_zps62b415e5.jpg

DSC03913_zps944856ee.jpg

DSC03914_zps6e7f11c6.jpg

DSC03915_zps9fc2d9ac.jpg

Lots of water sports here. We observed this scuba lesson.

DSC_0097_zpsbf2078eb.jpg

They had Hobie Cats that you could rent.

DSC_0106_zpsd13d4152.jpg

We watched this amazing lady learn how to Paddle Board.

DSC_0098_zpsb5e7e26f.jpg

DSC_0099_zps5ec33c27.jpg

DSC_0101_zpsd39d1903.jpg

DSC_0103_zps7e49e184.jpg

Good for her!

Edited by max'smom

There was a nice restaurant and bar here. It had been enlarged and very much improved since the last time we were here. It is called the Sunset Bar and Grill. Very nice place. We had lunch here.

DSC03924_zps3e7f2fc2.jpg

DSC03923_zps79e35fe7.jpg

DSC03922_zps2f7c72c5.jpg

They had great Wi-Fi here and it worked out on the beach.

DSC03919_zpsb2f51f93.jpg

DSC03920_zpsd73bc290.jpg

DSC03921_zps2aad18a1.jpg

Well....there are lots of tables for two....or you can sit with others if you like. And the service is much better in my opinion. You basically have the same servers every day and they know your likes and dislikes' date=' etc. You don't have to explain everything to them every day. They call you by name. We usually get the same thing every day and by day 3.....we don't even have to order. To me.....it's a big deal! [/size']

Isn't there specialty coffee too.....me like :D