Freedom of the Seas~May 4th~Third Week of Cruising: My Diary

We had such a nice day. (Added on to all those other really nice beach days from the Indy B2B) Before we left there we chatted with a nice young man at the bar who has lived on the island for the past 4 years. He gave us a tip about a quieter place to try out next time. Might have to check it out.

When we were ready to leave, there was an open air taxi right there to take us back to the ship. We had to stop in Havensight for a minute because John needed something at the pharmacy. Otherwise the taxi driver would have driven us all the way back to the ship.

DSC03929_zps80ec1624.jpg

It was a loooong walk to the end of the pier. We passed by the Getaway.....they had music going, cold towels, cold water, and a line of officers there to welcome them on board. That was impressive!

DSC03932_zpsa45b798e.jpg

Down at the Freedom....there were forklifts delivering all the liquor bought in the stores by our passengers today! LOL!

DSC03933_zps51bf9b7a.jpg

This is such a beautiful harbor.

DSC03936_zps712595da.jpg

DSC03937_zps15b001b3.jpg

DSC03938_zps433a358b.jpg

In that last picture, I was watching the seaplanes take off and land. That is so cool. Once, years ago we were spending a week on St. Croix, but we got a little homesick for St. Thomas.....so we took one of those sea planes over to St. Thomas for the day. That was so fun!

Edited by max'smom

Isn't there specialty coffee too.....me like :D

Oh yes....I forgot about that, and it's complimentary. Not to mention yummy. I try to save my calories for other things, though....but once in a while I will partake! They have Cappacino and Café Machiato that I know of.

Oh wow, I usually go to Megan's Bay in STT but they don't rent out waverunners so I was going to check out Sapphire Beach. I'm glad I read your review!

I guess it will have to be Secret Harbor next time.

We gave up on Megan's Bay years and years ago. It used to be so nice and deserted. We would drive out there in a jeep right on to the beach and have the place to ourselves. I despise crowds on beaches, so we don't go out there any more. You can't go to Sapphire Beach now.....it is basically closed down except to the condos that are out there. But yes.....give Secret Harbour a try. It's a small beach resort, but I like it. Still was a bit too crowded for me this last time. I'm always searching for a new hideaway to go to that nobody knows about. Then I report about it on here and the place is overrun!! That happened to Sapphire Beach.

Okay, I know this is a silly question for all you avid cruisers out there (lucky!!)...but considering my first cruise with RCCL and my second cruise ever will be on Freedom in June...who is the CL for? Is that based on your "points" status with RCCL, or because you had a suite, or something else? I know the Diamond Lounge is for the Diamond and up members, but not sure about the Concierge Lounge.

Loving your review! Even though we are doing the Western Caribbean in June, my plan is for Eastern or Southern next.

Thanks!

Michelle

The rest of the afternoon was spent relaxing in the cabin.

We had drinks in the CL before dinner. There was hardly anyone there tonight.

DSC03882_zps60ef6680.jpg

DSC03883_zpsbe31b896.jpg

The fun loving folks were there!

DSC03885_zps5841b4ea.jpg

As we were walking toward the dining room......Havaa came out to meet us. She whisked us away into the dining room without stopping at the desk. She said she had a better table for us tonight....that she noticed the night before that we were sitting around a lot of children ' date=' so she found a better table for us. What service! It was indeed a better table in a quiet corner of the dining room. We had a wonderful waiter named Brian. We chatted with another couple from Florida. They had my favorite pasta dish tonight, so that's what I got. And I tried a new dessert that I haven't had before. I can't remember what it was, but it wasn't very good.

DSC03886_zps6b14d2fa.jpg

DSC03887_zps9f28da70.jpg

DSC03888_zpsa59a9fe3.jpg

Why on earth would they "ASSUME" you'd rather not be around children? I would be so upset if they moved me away from well behaved children based on their own conceptions! Where on earth did they get such an outlandish idea? Were you angry?

Okay, I know this is a silly question for all you avid cruisers out there (lucky!!)...but considering my first cruise with RCCL and my second cruise ever will be on Freedom in June...who is the CL for? Is that based on your "points" status with RCCL, or because you had a suite, or something else? I know the Diamond Lounge is for the Diamond and up members, but not sure about the Concierge Lounge.

Loving your review! Even though we are doing the Western Caribbean in June, my plan is for Eastern or Southern next.

Thanks!

Michelle

Michelle...you are exactly right. The Diamond Lounge is only for Diamond, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Members. The Concierge Lounge is for those in a Grand Suite and above and also Diamond Plus and Pinnacle members.

Why on earth would they "ASSUME" you'd rather not be around children? I would be so upset if they moved me away from well behaved children based on their own conceptions! Where on earth did they get such an outlandish idea? Were you angry?

Well.....there were a LOT of toddlers and babies all around us. Although most well behaved, some of them were getting ready to get cranked up because of having to sit so long. We did not complain at all, but I was very glad to be moved from there. We don't have children and even though I was an elementary school teacher for 40 years.....I prefer not to be around them too much on vacation. Their assumption was right on the money in our case.

It was a nice location if you have to be forward. We prefer a mid ship or aft location, but booking late...you can't be too choosy! We unpacked our carry ons and then went to the Windjammer for lunch. One nice thing about Freedom is the fact that D+ can eat their WJ lunch in Chops and get away from the madhouse in there. Very nice perk that we enjoy. They didn't do that on the Independence. It was very quiet in here and a great place to eat lunch. All drinks were available in here.

DSC04137_zps412db147.jpg

DSC04136_zps98339f1b.jpg

When you say "All drinks are available in here" at Chops during lunch, does that include beer, wine and soda at no charge?

We gave up on Megan's Bay years and years ago. It used to be so nice and deserted. We would drive out there in a jeep right on to the beach and have the place to ourselves. I despise crowds on beaches' date=' so we don't go out there any more. You can't go to Sapphire Beach now.....it is basically closed down except to the condos that are out there. But yes.....give Secret Harbour a try. It's a small beach resort, but I like it. Still was a bit too crowded for me this last time. I'm always searching for a new hideaway to go to that nobody knows about. Then I report about it on here and the place is overrun!! That happened to Sapphire Beach.[/size']

Why did they close off Sapphire?

We had such a nice day. (Added on to all those other really nice beach days from the Indy B2B) Before we left there we chatted with a nice young man at the bar who has lived on the island for the past 4 years. He gave us a tip about a quieter place to try out next time. Might have to check it out.

So where is the quieter place?

We are considering visiting Emerald Beach. We've been to St. Thomas once, but did a snorkel excursion and shopped, so the beach thing is something we've not done there.

We gave up on Megan's Bay years and years ago. It used to be so nice and deserted. We would drive out there in a jeep right on to the beach and have the place to ourselves. I despise crowds on beaches' date=' so we don't go out there any more. You can't go to Sapphire Beach now.....it is basically closed down except to the condos that are out there. But yes.....give Secret Harbour a try. It's a small beach resort, but I like it. Still was a bit too crowded for me this last time. I'm always searching for a new hideaway to go to that nobody knows about. Then I report about it on here and the place is overrun!! That happened to Sapphire Beach.[/size']

Hi Jane,

Thanks for posting your review, I'm really enjoying it! Just an FYI, you can still go to Sapphire Beach, but there are no chairs for rent anymore. There is access to the beach through the marina which also has restrooms. There is small tiki hut on that side(ish) with drinks and snacks, but the dive shop, restaurant etc. are all closed. You can probably work something out with one of the condo owners through VBRO to put you on the list to use the facilities (chairs) for the day for a few bucks (haven't tried doing this, but I don't see why an owner wouldn't agree). It may be worth the effort as the beach would definitely be really quiet now in light of the recent changes.

I'm like you in trying to avoid crowded beaches (more than 6 people is too many for me). We usually rent a powerboat with a captain from Red Hook for the day when visiting St. Thomas on a cruise. From there we stop at honeymoon beach on St. John and then hit a few BVI beaches sometimes going as far as the Baths on Virgin Gorda (if it is low season, too crowded in high season). One time we stopped at Cooper Island for lunch and the people working there couldn't believe we came off a cruise ship for the day as most cruisers don't venture that far.

Thanks again for the awesome review!

Neda

We were on the Freedom in 2006 and I recognize the ice show, especially the routine with the skaters in day-glo outfits. Now that we're in Florida I keep meaning to book a Freedom class ship but other cruises with interesting itins keep popping up.

Hi Jane, what an awesome review!! Your pictures are beautiful!! May I ask what type of camera you have?

We are cruising the western carrib on FOS this August, your review was very helpful!!

We are so excited.

. Mary Ann

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

When you say "All drinks are available in here" at Chops during lunch, does that include beer, wine and soda at no charge?[/size][/font]

Oh no....sorry....I just meant tea, water, coffee, etc. Now on the Oasis and Allure....the have breakfast and lunch in the Concierge Lounge with free wine and beer. Now that's nice!

Edited by max'smom

Why did they close off Sapphire?

There was some sort of dispute between the condo association and the dive shop that was operating there. They were the ones that were supplying the chairs, snorkel equipment, snacks, etc. and those horrible bathrooms. I believe they don't even let the taxis come down in there so if you go to the beach....you have to walk down that long hill from the road. You can go to the beach with just your towel....but there are no facilities. It's just a shame....but that's what happens when you let the masses in with ship's excursions and such. That's what they did and I think it was just the last straw for the condo owners. Not 100% sure about any of this, though.

So where is the quieter place?

We are considering visiting Emerald Beach. We've been to St. Thomas once, but did a snorkel excursion and shopped, so the beach thing is something we've not done there.

He told me to go to Limetree Beach. A place called Blackbeard's Bar or something like that. I googled it and it looks pretty good. It's near Frenchman's Reef, so it's not far from the Havensight area. I'll have to do some more research.

Hi Jane,

Thanks for posting your review, I'm really enjoying it! Just an FYI, you can still go to Sapphire Beach, but there are no chairs for rent anymore. There is access to the beach through the marina which also has restrooms. There is small tiki hut on that side(ish) with drinks and snacks, but the dive shop, restaurant etc. are all closed. You can probably work something out with one of the condo owners through VBRO to put you on the list to use the facilities (chairs) for the day for a few bucks (haven't tried doing this, but I don't see why an owner wouldn't agree). It may be worth the effort as the beach would definitely be really quiet now in light of the recent changes.

I'm like you in trying to avoid crowded beaches (more than 6 people is too many for me). We usually rent a powerboat with a captain from Red Hook for the day when visiting St. Thomas on a cruise. From there we stop at honeymoon beach on St. John and then hit a few BVI beaches sometimes going as far as the Baths on Virgin Gorda (if it is low season, too crowded in high season). One time we stopped at Cooper Island for lunch and the people working there couldn't believe we came off a cruise ship for the day as most cruisers don't venture that far.

Thanks again for the awesome review!

Neda

Neda....yes...that's basically what I found out about Sapphire. Might check that out. But the last time we were there....the iguanas were always nice and tame.....had gotten really aggressive. Too many people feeding them....and now they are demanding food from everybody....even jumping in chairs and onto people. We had a terrible time with them the last time we were there and had never had a problem before.

The renting a boat thing from Red Hook sounds interesting. Can you give me some information on how you do that. Is there a website? How much does that cost for the day? Thanks!!

Really enjoying your review, Jane. Sent the link to Shelton. It brings back lots of good memories.

Great!! It WAS a good time, wasn't it? Thanks for doing that......I don't have Shelton's contact info.

Edited by max'smom

We were on the Freedom in 2006 and I recognize the ice show, especially the routine with the skaters in day-glo outfits. Now that we're in Florida I keep meaning to book a Freedom class ship but other cruises with interesting itins keep popping up.

Yes....that's one thing about Freedom that I don't like....the blah itineraries. But she is a great "go to" ship when all the others leave.

Hi Jane, what an awesome review!! Your pictures are beautiful!! May I ask what type of camera you have?

We are cruising the western carrib on FOS this August, your review was very helpful!!

We are so excited.

. Mary Ann

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I use a Sony Nex5R. It's a point and shoot camera that acts like an SLR and has interchangeable lenses. I absolutely love it. It's not too bulky to carry around and is pretty easy to use. It does so much stuff that I can't even begin to understand. I don't do half the stuff that it can do, but I am very happy with it. I've had it for almost a year now.

We went on a B2B on the Freedom last August. That review is floating around her somewhere so you could check out the Western part. Those 3 weeks in August were great.

I use a Sony Nex5R. It's a point and shoot camera that acts like an SLR and has interchangeable lenses. I absolutely love it. It's not too bulky to carry around and is pretty easy to use. It does so much stuff that I can't even begin to understand. I don't do half the stuff that it can do' date=' but I am very happy with it. I've had it for almost a year now.

We went on a B2B on the Freedom last August. That review is floating around her somewhere so you could check out the Western part. Those 3 weeks in August were great.[/size']

Found the review from your B2B last August and am reading it now!!

Here's the link for anyone who wants to read it:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1909951

So back on the ship......we were wiped out by the heat of the day and recovery was slow. I enjoyed watching the other two ships sail away. That's always neat.

DSC03941_zps69a6ecc8.jpg

DSC03950_zps5bd4016e.jpg

DSC03956_zpsd5fc9880.jpg

DSC03958_zps729e21c8.jpg

A torrential rain storm came up before we could leave. This poor excursion was getting hammered with rain.....but they were cheering and having a good time nonetheless.

DSC03963_zps1e1b6b4a.jpg

I was glad we were back on the ship!

DSC03965_zps748c690a.jpg