UK Cruisers: Who would rather keep Indy in Southampton than get Anthem?

You can't hate something that hasn't even been built yet. Or do you hate foods you haven't tried too? I have my doubts about the new class of ships. The dining concept seems iffy to me. Does it mean the same menu in the 'free' restaurants every night? In which case I'll be Royally p'eed off by the end of the cruise. Dodgems? Nope, not really. The parachute thing? Airkix is 5 minutes from my house. But I'll still give her a whirl sometime I'm sure. Maybe I'll like it, maybe I won't, but until I've tried I can't say. I've never had a cruise I didn't like yet!

Can someone explain what replaces the MDR on Anthem then.

Basically instead of having the MDR and the Windjammer as your two main free eateries (along with things like Park Cafe or Cafe Promenade, depending on your class of ship), they are increasing the quantity of free eateries.

Currently, most classes of ships have a variety of places to eat at an additional cost. These places, such as Chops Grille, Portofino's, Giovanni's Table, and Izumi all have set menu's which remain static throughout the cruise. Some guests choose not to visit these at all; others choose to visit one or two of them once during their visits; and still others may visit all of them, or the same one, frequently during their cruise. Even though the menu is 'set', you can always choose something different from the menu.

Dynamic Dining seems to combine both of these. By eliminating the MDR, which has a different menu each night, they are replacing this eatery with 4 FREE dining restaurant venues which are similar in 'practice' to the current pay-for venues. There are an additional 5 free eating venues along with many new pay-for restaurants. It is my understanding that these free eateries will have set menus which will not change during the cruise, but as there is a variety of styles, you can make reservations at which ever one you like. You could go to a different restaurant every night of the cruise OR you could visit the SAME restaurant every night. So people who love to cruise for Steak & Seafood may decide to have 'formal night every night' by visiting The Grande Restaurant.

There are 18 different eating 'venues'. These range from proper restaurants to more along the lines of 'fast food' to your normal free-eateries. I will try to class them below.

Free Restaurants:

Silk (Asian-themed restaurant)

The Grande Restaurant (formal dining, formal French-style food)

American Icon Grill (Upscale American grill)

Chic (Innovative cuisine, whatever that means!)

Pay for Restaurants:

Izumi (Sushi and Japanese Style food)

Chef's Table (Fancy formal dining)

Jamie's Italian (Italian food by Jamie Oliver)

Chops Grille (American-style Steakhouse)

Michael's Genuine Pub (Upscale 'pub' food)

Wonderland Imaginative Cuisine (Creative food -- can't really explain more than that!)

Suite Guests only:

Coastal Kitchen (free California/Mediterranean fare, exclusive restaurant for JS guests and above)

Free 'Buffets':

Windjammer Marketplace (Buffet)

Sorrento's (Pizza)

Seaplex Dog House (Hot dogs)

The Cafe at two70 (Sandwiches, salads, and soups)

Cafe Promenade (Quick bites: sandwiches, snacks, and pastries)

Pay for 'Fast Food':

Johnny Rockets (Hamburgers, hot dogs, french fries, milkshakes, etc)

Devinly Decadence at Solarium Bistro (From the photos I don't think this is a proper table-service style restaurant hence I am classing it as 'Fast Food', but this is the healthier-version of things)

I obtained all of this information from their Dynamic Dining website, found here:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/quantumoftheseas/dining/restaurants/

Hey!

If there are RCI ships that you don't want to see home porting in Southampton...great!

Send them to Liverpool.

I hope that RCI will see their way to bringing turnarounds to the north west at some point in the not too distant future. Much easier to get to for us north of Birmingham.

Well said. It would be great if they sailed from the north. It's a pain to get to Southampton or Harwich from the Scottish Borders.

I think, taken account, I'm always with a TA group, I'll prefer the Indepence OTS, because of the Main dining rooms. As I have understood, they aren't there on the Anthem. I don't see, how it is possible to accomodate a group then.... Above that, I do like the Main dining rooms of the Independence.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by Bril

I just came off the Indy a week ago, it's the second time I have sailed on her and each time have loved it didn't find a problem with anything I will be sorry to see her go from the uk, I just had a look at maybe going on the anthem September 2015 but have found that the price is nearly double what the Indy was. looking at the pictures of the anthem I'm not that impressed, I won't be going on her, as I don't like flying it may make me go with another cruise line

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not sure why there is soooo much hate for Indy.

Sailed on her a few times, inc 2 Transatlantic sailings. Think its a great ship.

Dunno where the comments about bad management, poor staff and disrepair come from because my partner and I certainly never witnessed any of that! My partner did however witness all these things on Adventure of the Seas last year.

That said it is nice to experience something different so I guess Anthem will be a welcome change for some. We were certainly excited to try her out in October 2015 on the Transatlantic crossing to Florida which was then scrapped. So I guess we will get to try her out some time in the future.

For those hoping Indy does come back to the UK in the future ... who knows with all the chopping and changing taking place at the minute you may get your wish.

Love Indy, but was having a look at the prices for Anthem, far too expensive in comparison.

So, of we do want to go out of UK next year, it will be back to P&O.

I feel RC is taking the proverbial with their pricing for Anthem.

Yep with a range if different family members and groups.

Wish I hadn't :-(

I believe in giving people and companies chances to get things right but 5 was way too many - lol

People vote with their feet. You must have really confused RC who would have seen you as a happy repeat customer :D

Seriously, 5 times? Surely it can't have been that bad!:eek:

We've sailed Indy several times from Southampton and really miss the option for next summer. We've booked on the Anthem but are about to switch to another cruise as it's just not doing it for us.

Real shame IOS is moving on :(

Have sailed on the IOTS from Southampton 2011 thought it was great. Sailed on the Adventure last year....NEVER again! worst cruise we have ever had the misfortune to be on!

We are booked on Anthem fo next June beyond excited as we have never cruised a "new" ship before.

• 1 year later...
I like you started this thread "I hate Quantum Class Ships" before they were even in service.

The UK seem absolutely obsessed with the Independence for some reason

A lot of people were just attached to Independence and as she is geared for the British market, we love her and quite a few people across the pond hate her. Many Brits have done more than 1 sailing on her, If you look at my signature, I have 3. All of which were wonderful. Anthem doesn't appeal to me for a number of reasons.

Plus, with Anthem being a new ship it means expensive prices, which is unfair to those who can't afford to fly anywhere thus they have to stay in the UK. Another reason why Explorer sold better than Anthem and a lot of Brits bit the bullet and flew to Barcelona to experience Allure without flying to FLL.

Edited by Joe12

A lot of people were just attached to Independence and as she is geared for the British market

When I go on an American cruise line, I prefer American rather than trying to be British.

I actually prefer different ships rather than the same ship year after year after year.

When I go on an American cruise line, I prefer American rather than trying to be British.

I actually prefer different ships rather than the same ship year after year after year.

Absolutely!

May was the first time I have been on a sailing out of Southampton.. I doubt I'll do another one. It was just full of moaning Brits! Something I've not seen when going from Barcelona / Venice in the past..

I've been on the Liberty out of Barcelona twice (the exact same class as Independence). Yes they are beautiful ships, but I would not make it my ambition to go on her every year. I want to try new things.

I doubt RCI will give the UK a new ship ever again going by how much complaining there has been about this one. "It's not Indy" has been one of the most commonly used phrases. So what? RCI have over 20 different ships. I don't get why the UK doesn't want to try something new.

Absolutely!

May was the first time I have been on a sailing out of Southampton.. I doubt I'll do another one. It was just full of moaning Brits! Something I've not seen when going from Barcelona / Venice in the past..

I've been on the Liberty out of Barcelona twice (the exact same class as Independence). Yes they are beautiful ships, but I would not make it my ambition to go on her every year. I want to try new things.

I doubt RCI will give the UK a new ship ever again going by how much complaining there has been about this one. "It's not Indy" has been one of the most commonly used phrases. So what? RCI have over 20 different ships. I don't get why the UK doesn't want to try something new.

Sailed out of Southampton once on Indy and didn't like how a lot of things were British even the dance party on the Promenade was British.

Going to give it one more time this time with Explorer and having read some of the reviews, it is very British again. We will see. Maybe have to head back to the US and hang with the US crowds ;)

A lot of people were just attached to Independence and as she is geared for the British market, we love her and quite a few people across the pond hate her. Many Brits have done more than 1 sailing on her, If you look at my signature, I have 3. All of which were wonderful. Anthem doesn't appeal to me for a number of reasons.

Plus, with Anthem being a new ship it means expensive prices, which is unfair to those who can't afford to fly anywhere thus they have to stay in the UK. Another reason why Explorer sold better than Anthem and a lot of Brits bit the bullet and flew to Barcelona to experience Allure without flying to FLL.

How is she geared to be British. All I can think of is the teapots in the cabins. Everything else seemed normal Freedom class. I would think Britain would appreciate an enclosed solarium

How is she geared to be British. All I can think of is the teapots in the cabins. Everything else seemed normal Freedom class. I would think Britain would appreciate an enclosed solarium

They serve those black hockey puck things for breakfast.

When Indy headed back to the US during the winter season, many US cruisers were commenting how bad the shops were stocked with low stocks or British products still for sale.

The entertainments were some very British. I remembered one of the headliner act was from England and some of the jokes would have gone over an American's head. The cruise director tends to be British.

A few things.

- Afternoon tea in the WJ, Never had that on any other ship

- Retail is different

- Food itself is a bit different than what you get on other ships.

- Not a huge thing, but the Dining Rooms have a Shakespeare theme.

- Entertainment can be quite British

- Cruise Director was also British

It isn't a whole lot different but there are some minor alterations for the British market.

Edited by Joe12

I'm glad Indy left. The reason being is that we love her. We loved our first two cruises on her and if she'd have stayed we'd have gone on her again this year instead we tried explorer because anthem did not appeal and the price difference was ridiculous.

Next year we had already booked for epic by the time rci announced Indy was coming back, if not we'd have booked Indy for next year. As it happens rci then announced harmony, so we thought why go to Barcelona for a week when we can go for two. Hence harmony and epic B2B.

What I'm trying to show is that our love of Indy could have easy lead to us being blinkered and sailing on her for years. This way we've had to try other ships which is great. But we will happily go back on Indy one day maybe 2017. Who knows?

My family and I was quite excited about the Quantum class coming to the UK and we had hoped that one would be sailing from Southampton in 2016. My adult children were looking forward to the high speed internet and north star, etc. So at first we was a bit disapointed that there was not a Quantum class sailing in 2016 from Southampton.

Having said that, we have sailed on Indy once before and had a fantastic holiday so we have booked on Indy for next year and hope that the ship is as good as on our last trip.