Drink package

CruisingGs

I know, another drink package question, sorry! My husband doesn't drink, but do. Am I understanding correctly that if I want to purchase the drink package, he has to as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know, another drink package question, sorry! My husband doesn't drink, but do. Am I understanding correctly that if I want to purchase the drink package, he has to as well?

Just an FYI, if you search for NCL UBP you'll get a whole list of threads that include the information you're looking for. ;)

Correct, you'd probably do fine just purchasing as you go. Unless you think you, alone, could consume approx. $988 of booze, that's what it would be for the 2 of you.

I prefer wine anyway so we get the viva vino package and it suits us fine. :)

I actually prefer wine, too. Yah, I won't be drinking that much worthy lol! I hate that he has to get it, too. Oh well.

This dumb policy is One of the reasons NCL is not a cruise line that we sail very often.

This dumb policy is One of the reasons NCL is not a cruise line that we sail very often.

I guess I don't really understand why you would say it is a "dumb" policy. With the rampant attempts at people trying to cheat NCL's systems and policies, what would prevent people from buying one package and sharing drinks with their friend or partner they are traveling with?

Or is this just another non NCL cruiser attempting to further belittle lowly little NCL? You wouldn't want any more of NCL innovations to change your preferred way of sailing on your favorite line?

Edited by Beaver1975

I guess I don't really understand why you would say it is a "dumb" policy. With the rampant attempts at people trying to cheat NCL's systems and policies, what would prevent people from buying one package and sharing drinks with their friend or partner they are traveling with?

Or is this just another non NCL cruiser attempting to further belittle lowly little NCL? You wouldn't want any more of NCL innovations to change your preferred way of sailing on your favorite line?

A little defensive aren't we? What do you think you own the cruiseline or something?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

Yes that is how Norweign works and if you have children in the room they have to have soda package. Little ridiculous if you ask me

No Celebrity does not work this way, we went on a 14 European cruise and only had to get one drink package for a room with one drinker and one non. Maybe different clientale

Take your own wine on the ship and pay the corking fee that is what we do and well worth it.

You realize you can put three sentences in one post, right?

A little defensive aren't we? What do you think you own the cruiseline or something?

Nope, not defensive at all or aren't defense of NCL posts allowed when someone feels the need to belittle NCL.

Edited by Beaver1975

Not at all! In fact, our longest ever cruise (21 days) was on NCL in Jan 2014. And we would certainly sail them again, given a cheap price and a very port intensive itinerary.

I simply prefer buying what I WANT, rather than the cruise line assuming that I'm a scum who is going to pay for one package but use it for two people. I'm not a thief. I don't use rum runners either.

Put it this way: NCL assumes their passengers are going to rip them off. Isn't that sort of belittling their own clientele?

Edited by jkgourmet

I simply prefer buying what I WANT, rather than the cruise line assuming that I'm a scum who is going to pay for one package but use it for two people. I'm not a thief.

You are not a thief, but you are not the only one on the ship. Surely you realize the world simply does not work this way. But I understand and respect your point.

It is much nicer when folks articulate their point rather than flippantly refer to something as "dumb" and leave it at that.

Not at all! In fact, our longest ever cruise (21 days) was on NCL in Jan 2014. And we would certainly sail them again, given a cheap price and a very port intensive itinerary.

I simply prefer buying what I WANT, rather than the cruise line assuming that I'm a scum who is going to pay for one package but use it for two people. I'm not a thief. I don't use rum runners either.

Put it this way: NCL assumes their passengers are going to rip them off. Isn't that sort of belittling their own clientele?

Don't most businesses have some sort of security? Surely you can't think they are belittling their customers, do you?

. . . Put it this way: NCL assumes their passengers are going to rip them off. Isn't that sort of belittling their own clientele?

Don't most businesses have some sort of security? Surely you can't think they are belittling their customers, do you?

I think of it the same as those sensors at the entry/exit door of almost every retail establishment I choose to visit.

I know that (unless someone in the store didn't do their job correct with demagnetizing the item) I will not be in a bad relationship with this retailer. I'm good to them, and they are good to me.

Having those sensors will, in the long run, keep the price I pay lower than if they didn't have them installed. So I consider that a win for me, and not them considering me a thief. Again, that's only my own personal opinion.

I've no problem with any security measures deemed necessary by the business owner. Some prior poster accused me of "belittling lowly little NCL" because I disagree with their policy of requiring all passengers in the cabin to purchase a booze package. That's unreasonable and unfair when one party drinks and the other does not.

Edited by jkgourmet

Carnival, Norwegian, Royal Caribbean have the same policy.

If a guest purchases the alcoholic beverage package, all other guests in the same stateroom who are 21 years of age or older must purchase it as well.

I wonder if they are on to something. :rolleyes:

Edited by kylenyc

Carnival, Norwegian, Royal Caribbean have the same policy.

If a guest purchases the alcoholic beverage package, all other guests in the same stateroom who are 21 years of age or older must purchase it as well.

I wonder if they are on to something. :rolleyes:

Interesting enough, on both Royal and Carnival you don't have to buy soda package for every child on the cabin. Our kids are now adults but I used to only buy one for my daughter (my son didn't like soda). Now that I think back on it, it could be because we booked two cabins and although each kid was booked with an adult in a cabin, they really shared an adjacent cabin.

I've no problem with any security measures deemed necessary by the business owner. Some prior poster accused me of "belittling lowly little NCL" because I disagree with their policy of requiring all passengers in the cabin to purchase a booze package. That's unreasonable and unfair when one party drinks and the other does not.

It is not unfair at all - you have the choice as to whether you choose to purchase a drinks package or not. You do the sums according to your party's circumstances (how many in the party; how many lushes/TTs/kids etc.; how many sea days/port days etc. (not forgetting the T&C's of the package (their train set - their rules BTW)). If it is worth it for you - you buy it - if not - you don't.

Nothing unfair about that at all - it is all about choice.

If you don't like it - don't buy it or don't 'use their train set'.

You are fortunate to live in a society where you have (some) freedom of choice. With that freedom comes a capitalist system which is built on companies turning a profit. NCL are making a perfectly reasonable condition of purchase for the UBP to protect their revenue stream from abuse.

How many people have you seen posting on these forums trying to screw a few bucks out of the system? Protect your revenue stream or go bust - business 101.

Royal does not require both people to purchase the beverage package.

Incorrect.

From Royal FAQ

Q: What if my traveling companion doesn't drink, do they still have to purchase an all-inclusive beverage package?

A: Yes, if they are in the same stateroom. The all-inclusive packages must be purchased by all stateroom guests, 21 years of age or older, for the entire cruise length. Guests with special circumstances and/or medical conditions should speak with Guest Services onboard.

Interesting enough, on both Royal and Carnival you don't have to buy soda package for every child on the cabin. Our kids are now adults but I used to only buy one for my daughter (my son didn't like soda). Now that I think back on it, it could be because we booked two cabins and although each kid was booked with an adult in a cabin, they really shared an adjacent cabin.

So you're saying couples should have children to save on the beverage package? :D :D J/K