MSC Bargains Thread

Skipper Tim

Agreed. It will be interesting to see if price drops further but it is such a boring itinerary - JMO.

Annie

I would have considered it for a number of reasons

(a) I've only been on Fantasia class ships.

(b) I'd love to see how the refit worked out now that there are balcony cabin category added.

© It's a cheaper way to do the Canaries - a little winter sunshine is nice.

(d) It's a cruise - whey hey.

However I've already availed of an offer not to be missed - €469pp (£375) for a balcony on an 11 nighter on Fantasia down to the Canaries incl flights in two weeks time. Boring itinerary? Yeah - been there, done it before (apart from Casablanca) but the ship is the destination for this trip :D

Early December is a slow season for all the cruise lines but surprised still low for January.

I'm surprised, myself, as it's a popular winter sun destination. It's actually being sold here as a 14 night cruise in January - not b2b - as the itinerary differs slightly across the 2 week period.

I'm surprised, myself, as it's a popular winter sun destination. It's actually being sold here as a 14 night cruise in January - not b2b - as the itinerary differs slightly across the 2 week period.

Canaries can be cool in the Winter. I was there in April and it was NOT warm.

Annie

Xxubai falsh sale on in the UL tomorrow which includes Emirates flights from London, Manchester or Glasgow and Cheers package for dates in December and January.

I did I trial for 31 Jan solo occupancy cruise only - £1568 did the promo proce and it was £300 cheaper with the flights and drinks package. Emirates flights from Glasgow are £500+. Although website was just giving Manchester flight. Very tempted to call them tomorrow and get the price for the Glasgow flight....

Xxubai falsh sale on in the UL tomorrow which includes Emirates flights from London, Manchester or Glasgow and Cheers package for dates in December and January.

I did I trial for 31 Jan solo occupancy cruise only - £1568 did the promo proce and it was £300 cheaper with the flights and drinks package. Emirates flights from Glasgow are £500+. Although website was just giving Manchester flight. Very tempted to call them tomorrow and get the price for the Glasgow flight....

I can't even get the search engine working today. It goes straight to 'Do Re Mi'.

I can't even get the search engine working today. It goes straight to 'Do Re Mi'.

Actually it is not such a great deal after all. I could get the Costa Serene with a premium balcony (equivalent to Fantastica on MSC) for £545 for practically the same itinerary and same week. Emirates flight is £384. So their flash sale is a good deal on what their normL price is, it is still not that brilliant. It is no doubt better for couples than solos as they can get the cruise + flights + cheers from £699 for an inside.

I'll shall wait for a real bargain like Pete got for the Opera or may go back to Costa again.

• 2 months later...
I'll shall wait for a real bargain like Pete got for the Opera or may go back to Costa again.

The MSC UK website is currently showing the MSC Lirica on the Santos-Genoa 18 night repo on the current '£35 promo' starting at £630 before Club discounts. Flights and transfers are no extra! I.e a similar deal to Pete's

Being stranded for the time being in a five-star all-inclusive Turkish hotel (a refugee of the weather in Yorkshire and other things) and with my IP switching app, Tunnel Bear, unlike Bedford, not behaving, I can't see online if there are solo-occupancy supplements. If there are, they may yet be removed nearer the sail date.

However for two willing to share this is an outrageous bargain. It is cheaper than the flights alone.

There are a fair few sailings now showing with the £35 per night promotion. The Bella and Fantastica rates start at the same rate for each category but it appears the Fantastica rate may increase with bookings.

Even without flights and transfers, I would be tempted to book an inside, strictly on a guarantee basis, if there were no solo supplement. Otherwise, I may be content to be stranded in all-inclusive luxury in Turkey.

The MSC UK website is currently showing the MSC Lirica on the Santos-Genoa 18 night repo on the current '£35 promo' starting at £630 before Club discounts. Flights and transfers are no extra! I.e a similar deal to Pete's

Being stranded for the time being in a five-star all-inclusive Turkish hotel (a refugee of the weather in Yorkshire and other things) and with my IP switching app, Tunnel Bear, unlike Bedford, not behaving, I can't see online if there are solo-occupancy supplements. If there are, they may yet be removed nearer the sail date.

However for two willing to share this is an outrageous bargain. It is cheaper than the flights alone.

There are a fair few sailings now showing with the £35 per night promotion. The Bella and Fantastica rates start at the same rate for each category but it appears the Fantastica rate may increase with bookings.

Even without flights and transfers, I would be tempted to book an inside, strictly on a guarantee basis, if there were no solo supplement. Otherwise, I may be content to be stranded in all-inclusive luxury in Turkey.

Indeed a bargain Tim but according to their website not for solos. Just did a mock booking and when I selected 1 person, cabin selection was showing not available for this occupancy for any cabin type or experience.

It was the same when I tried cruise only.

Might be worth calling them when you get back. As that date gets closer and if they still have empty cabins, they may be prepared to be flexible on occupancy.

Indeed a bargain Tim but according to their website not for solos. Just did a mock booking and when I selected 1 person, cabin selection was showing not available for this occupancy for any cabin type or experience.

It was the same when I tried cruise only.

Might be worth calling them when you get back. As that date gets closer and if they still have empty cabins, they may be prepared to be flexible on occupancy.

Many thanks Mairi.

I don't understand MSC's current policy of not allowing solos at any price when the chances are, on a repo like this, they will sail with many empty cabins. Perhaps it is a glitch in their yield-management software - a simple rule that says 'no solos'? I have done a lot of work in optimising complex systems and something tells me that MSC booking system is far from optimum :).

It is an interesting point you raise though. Have you had experience of better/different availability on the phone compared to their website?

I have given up the telephone as a rule but I am prepared to make exceptions for a good travel deal.

Besides, I feel I need another South American repo before MSC Club benefits and Avios are both devalued for good.

Edited by Skipper Tim

Many thanks Mairi.

I don't understand MSC's current policy of not allowing solos at any price when the chances are, on a repo like this, they will sail with many empty cabins. Perhaps it is a glitch in their yield-management software - a simple rule that says 'no solos'? I have done a lot of work in optimising complex systems and something tells me that MSC booking system is far from optimum :).

It is an interesting point you raise though. Have you had experience of better/different availability on the phone compared to their website?

I have given up the telephone as a rule but I am prepared to make exceptions for a good travel deal.

Besides, I feel I need another South American repo before MSC Club benefits and Avios are both devalued for good.

Yes I have but not since Giles Hawke was at the helm. Phoned them and they were at the point of completing the final details and then said there weren't any more cabins left they could sell for one person. I said that was ridiculous given the amount of cabins left and the amount of revenue they'd had out of me. She said they'd contact HO and get another cabin released. Lo and behold, one week later, I was booked in the cabin I wanted. I was prepared to pay 100% on that one.

Since the arrival of Mr Hawke, that doesn't seem to happen anymore.

originally posted by Skipper Tim

Tried phoning up to book this cruise, from the UK office, and told that the Cruise + transfers + flight is an error !!. and that the flights and transfrers are additional to the cruise only price.

The flights are priced at £550 and are as below

flights.jpg

liricaerror.jpg

So the true price without discounts is £1180 for an inside on the Bella experience.

If a black card discount wre aopplied (it only applies to the cruise element) it would cost £1054 ( £504 + £550).

They are invoking the small print underlined in the image above.

Not such a good bargain as we would have hoped for.

The price for a balcony suite ( aurea experience) including the discountsis £1822 but of course £418 of that price is the allegrisimo package which is included.

The same cabin with the fantastica experience would cost £1662, which is interesting as it makes the cost of the AI package only £160 plus you get the other benefits as well

Pete

Edited by Skier52