MSC Bargains Thread

Skipper Tim

I paid in full for guarantee balcony on Dec 13 much more 2 weeks ago.

Is it possible to call MSC to ask for some OBC or anything when the price dropped down like it?

Mic76- Sorry no, but only maybe if you're lucky...(Read: DREAM ON, MSC is ruthless), and if you beg, long and politely, maybe you will get an OBC of $100, but MSC, according to recent posts, has a large unpaid tax liability. And no, they have little repeat customer appreciation. Having said that, and as others have said as well, never pre-book at a price you may be unhappy with. Most cruise lines are like air lines, and sell their "rotting fish on the dock" at any price they can get....except for Norwegian, who will upgrade you with grace and appreciation (for the time being).

I paid in full for guarantee balcony on Dec 13 much more 2 weeks ago.

Is it possible to call MSC to ask for some OBC or anything when the price dropped down like it?

This price was only for November 29th. I paid full price for December 6th. Bob

Found 6 nights on Splendida departing Genoa December 14th for 248EUR travelling solo. This was on a Spanish website, so I have booked online using a mixture of google translate and my schoolboy Spanish.

The most notable thing here is that it was quoting balconies cheaper than interiors; do you think this is a website mistake, or will MSC honour it? I have already paid online and received email confirmation from the online TA, but I am half expecting an anxious Spaniard ringing me in the next few days!

The website I booked on had interiors and balconys at the same cost. I called up MSC to verify my booking after, and indeed I have a guaranteed balcony cabin. They just have some really good promotions running right now on balcony rooms.
Hi John, we're your neighbors just South on 17. I've already done my Web-Check In with MSC but it still doesn't show my cabin number. I won't really worry about it until a week before my cruise. Bob

Hi John, we're your neighbors just South on 17. I've already done my Web-Check In with MSC but it still doesn't show my cabin number. I won't really worry about it until a week before my cruise. Bob

Nor for us either. I completed mine last week. From what I understand, they assign a cabin about 2-3 weeks after final payment is received. I'm not sure who will contact us once it is assigned though, MSC or my travel agent?

You're quickly approaching your sail date though, I'm surprised you haven't heard anything. Did you book through MSC? When was your final payment processed?

You're quickly approaching your sail date though, I'm surprised you haven't heard anything. Did you book through MSC? When was your final payment processed?
I probably used the same online TA that you did. It would really be nice if they noticed that I am also on the Divina the following week and gave me the same cabin. Final payment was processed about 10 days ago. I'm not really concerned, I don't take up a lot of space. Bob

Found 6 nights on Splendida departing Genoa December 14th for 248EUR travelling solo. This was on a Spanish website, so I have booked online using a mixture of google translate and my schoolboy Spanish.

The most notable thing here is that it was quoting balconies cheaper than interiors; do you think this is a website mistake, or will MSC honour it? I have already paid online and received email confirmation from the online TA, but I am half expecting an anxious Spaniard ringing me in the next few days!

Please tell me if you have any problem. You have the right to buy any product from any EU company, so I guess it would be illegal for MSC to stop you. That's what I have been told by many TA.

The problem here is that MSC clearly bans that practice. You cannot buy a cruise from another country in their webpage, so I guess you did that through a TA.

The only thing you should consider is that you will have to accept the terms and conditions from the country you are buying the cruise from. Spanish consumer laws are quite similar to the ones in the UK I believe, you can lose the deposit in a worse case scenario.

I probably used the same online TA that you did. It would really be nice if they noticed that I am also on the Divina the following week and gave me the same cabin. Final payment was processed about 10 days ago. I'm not really concerned, I don't take up a lot of space. Bob

Lucky! Back to back cruises seems like it be great. Do they make you leave the ship and come back on inbetween cruises in Miami?? I doubt they would notice and book you, but maybe if you called they would be able to accommodate you if that room isn't booked the following week?

Please tell me if you have any problem. You have the right to buy any product from any EU company, so I guess it would be illegal for MSC to stop you. That's what I have been told by many TA.

The problem here is that MSC clearly bans that practice. You cannot buy a cruise from another country in their webpage, so I guess you did that through a TA.

The only thing you should consider is that you will have to accept the terms and conditions from the country you are buying the cruise from. Spanish consumer laws are quite similar to the ones in the UK I believe, you can lose the deposit in a worse case scenario.

Thanks for your interest. You are right, I booked through a major Spanish OTA, even though I can also see the fare on the MSC Spanish site.

I am not expecting any issues regarding booking in a different market, nor am I too worried about terms and conditions as the cruise is next month so my circumstances should not change.

My main concern is that balconies cheaper than insides is an error (although that said, if I try to book on the UK, it says all categories other than insides are sold out)

When do MSC e-tickets get issued, given that it is six weeks before departure?

Lucky! Back to back cruises seems like it be great. Do they make you leave the ship and come back on inbetween cruises in Miami?? I doubt they would notice and book you, but maybe if you called they would be able to accommodate you if that room isn't booked the following week?

Yes, you have to get off and go through customs as a group and then you re-board before the new cruisers. I've heard it's painless. Bob

Preziosa repo 12th November 2014 Barcelona-Santos over 15 nights is from €449 inside, €589 balcony, both pp based on 2 sharing and Spanish pricing. Doing a dummy booking on a Spanish TA website, the total for 2 sharing is €1240 for a guaranteed B2 balcony cabin. This eye-wateringly rises to €3112 for solo-occupancy! MSC really have it in for solos this year.

Last year I found a cruise on the UK website for the end of Auguste with. Alco ices cheaper than insides. Seemed to be a mistake as weeks before and after they were well over £1000 more expensive solo. I booked and it all turned out fine. Got what I'd booked without any issue. Still don't know to this day whether it was a mistake or not. They previously had promotions when they were promoting balconies for the same price as an inside and suites for the same price as Oceanview. So who knows with MSC.

Skipper Tim wrote:-

Preziosa repo 12th November 2014 Barcelona-Santos over 15 nights is from €449 inside, €589 balcony, both pp based on 2 sharing and Spanish pricing. Doing a dummy booking on a Spanish TA website, the total for 2 sharing is €1240 for a guaranteed B2 balcony cabin. This eye-wateringly rises to €3112 for solo-occupancy! MSC really have it in for solos this year.

All 5 people i met on the OPERA ,Uk to S. Africa repo, who were solos paid 0% surcharge for their single occupancy

Pete

Annie, you echo my sentiments exactly.

Worse, I notice that MSC fares are going even higher. Many of their ridiculously over-priced 'promotions' are being replaced with worse ones. Bowing out... I can only advise against anyone booking with MSC at current rates.

You just need to look around on the internet. I paid $700 USD with tax for a balcony stateroom for 2 people. $50/per person per day for a balcony room is an amazing deal. $100 for a hotel room is the norm for anywhere decent in the US. Add to the fact that you stuff your face off with great food/entertainment, have the best view you can ask for in your room, and get to see 3 places instead of one. I don't know how you can beat that.

A real bargain Venice to Dubai, Cruise,Flight,Transfer.. Inside cabin at £1199 pp

Cruise only ... £2399 ..... :eek:

Tim ... I think someone at MSC has lost the plot.

Pete ... I believe that only happened in the last 2 or 3 weeks re the Solo prices.

Edited by sidari

You just need to look around on the internet. I paid $700 USD with tax for a balcony stateroom for 2 people. $50/per person per day for a balcony room is an amazing deal. $100 for a hotel room is the norm for anywhere decent in the US. Add to the fact that you stuff your face off with great food/entertainment, have the best view you can ask for in your room, and get to see 3 places instead of one. I don't know how you can beat that.

We would love to see those rates in the UK but sadly they are not available to us.

Also from memory MSC USA no longer permits non-NA residents to book via the USA.

Annie