MSC Bargains Thread

Skipper Tim

That's an excellent critera. We often do the same thing.

I think along similar lines - I always opportunity cost my holiday plans.

I have completed 3 repos with MSC but feel that my cruise days with them are at an end in the short-term.

No big deal, there are plenty of other vacation choices.

A bargain cruise with a boring itinerary - you can keep it.

I agree with Tim - the new solo pricing IMHO - is an overpriced product - doesn't work for me.

I know MSC have proposals for mega ships - has anybody looked at the proposed staff: passenger ratio - not for me.

I will keep my eye on the market but I have written off MSC for the next 18 months.

Annie

MSC is running a 48 hour special on their German website on June 17 and 18, http://www.msc-kreuzfahrten.de/de_de/Angebote/48-Stunden-Special-Jun-2014.aspx. The specials include many July and August departures, e.g. the Preziosa for 499 EUR from Venice and 14 nights on the Divina including flights from Dusseldorf for 1499 EUR.

Also, lots of specials are available that alrady include the Allegrissimo pagckage, e.g. a week on the Musica for 519 EUR.

Looks like the phase of inflated prices is finally coming to an end.

But isn't that per person + taxes + service charge? :confused:

It's not bad for July / August, but I guess we're talking about at least 1.400€ for an interior cabin + drinks. I see those prices as rather normal.

The divina prices on the other hand look very nice. About 3.300€ for 2 weeks in the Caribbean flights included is a very good rate indeed. I can see why they are bringing the Divina back to the med for next year.

Edited by Elmartellama

But isn't that per person + taxes + service charge? :confused:

It's not bad for July / August, but I guess we're talking about at least 1.400€ for an interior cabin + drinks. I see those prices as rather normal.

The divina prices on the other hand look very nice. About 3.300€ for 2 weeks in the Caribbean flights included is a very good rate indeed. I can see why they are bringing the Divina back to the med for next year.

Prices include taxes, not sure about the service charge. Normally they explicitely mention the additional service charge below the prices, but with these prices they don't, so it might be included. Balcony cabins are 100 EUR more, kids free, 50% single supplement.

Some remaining June departures on the Splendida are 399 EUR. German online TAs will often sell for 3 or 4% below the cruise line price.

Edited by Alex71

Anyone who can sail last minute from their own backyard can find bargains. I wish we were living in Europe right now, great bargains to be had, Baltic sailing on HAL, other Med values. The airfare is what stopped us, about $1100 rt. So, here we sit. btw, check out those deals from Vancouver to AK and back. Anybody want to house swap for the summer?

We met a couple on our Celebrity Solstice sailing they had booked last minute. They booked their airfare through Celebrity too and got their cruise and airfare for $3500 for the 2 of them. This was a 12 day cruise and they had a balcony. They said they do that every year.

I know many say they do not like booking the airfare through the cruise line as if the plane is late there are no guarantees, but to me that is true anyway. We always fly over at least a day early and also buy insurance for just in case.

We met a couple on our Celebrity Solstice sailing they had booked last minute. They booked their airfare through Celebrity too and got their cruise and airfare for $3500 for the 2 of them. This was a 12 day cruise and they had a balcony. They said they do that every year.

I know many say they do not like booking the airfare through the cruise line as if the plane is late there are no guarantees, but to me that is true anyway. We always fly over at least a day early and also buy insurance for just in case.

Hi...always thought it was the other way round that if you booked your flight through cruise line you were covered and that they would sort you out...I must have misunderstood.

Hi...always thought it was the other way round that if you booked your flight through cruise line you were covered and that they would sort you out...I must have misunderstood.

Not from many posts I have read-but then none were MSC, but just about every other line. However,in every case they had foolishly booked an overnight flight to Europe from the US or Canada and were to board the cruise ship the next day. In one I particularly remember, there were thunderstorms in Toronto and so the plane was delayed 12 hours. The person actually skipped the cruise because of that and then was upset Princess did not refund them their trip-they had insurance -so why the heck did they not go ahead and the meet the ship at the first port day? The insurance would have covered hotel and traveling to the port. A hassle I am sure but it would have been covered eventually. The way they did it nothing was covered.

From what I understand with the cruise line, they buy a block of seats from the airline at a reduced rate which they pass on to you. That is the advantage; and of course if you book a last minute deal, the only way air is affordable.

Go to the cruise air section on CC forum and you can read all the horror stories-lol! Every one I saw could have been prevented if they had flown in a day or 2 early.

No, you're correct. Cruiselines will wait or make other arrangements for you to join the ship if the flight they sold you is late. If it is your own flight that's late, you're on your own and they sail without you.

Also if a flight is cancelled and you can't make the cruise you're covered if they sold it to you. I fortunately booked a fly/cruise deal from rio to Southampton with MSC. Then the volcanic ash milarkey occurred. Airspace was reopened a day or so fatter the ship had sailed. I was given the choice of a full refund of cruise and flight or an alternative. Those that had booked cruise only lost the price of their cruise. Others managed to join the ship later buying new flights and a lot of hassle.

I think along similar lines - I always opportunity cost my holiday plans.

I have completed 3 repos with MSC but feel that my cruise days with them are at an end in the short-term.

No big deal, there are plenty of other vacation choices.

A bargain cruise with a boring itinerary - you can keep it.

I agree with Tim - the new solo pricing IMHO - is an overpriced product - doesn't work for me.

I know MSC have proposals for mega ships - has anybody looked at the proposed staff: passenger ratio - not for me.

I will keep my eye on the market but I have written off MSC for the next 18 months.

Annie

Annie, you echo my sentiments exactly.

Worse, I notice that MSC fares are going even higher. Many of their ridiculously over-priced 'promotions' are being replaced with worse ones. Bowing out... I can only advise against anyone booking with MSC at current rates.

Yes, even if it is an 'on the fly' package arrangement, whoever you book with as principal is responsible. If it is a cruise line package then the cruise line is responsible, otherwise it is your travel agent who assembled the package. Either way, it is only your responsibility to deal with any delays if you made the separate arrangements yourself - and those are the circumstances to make allowances for flight delays and cancellations.

No, you're correct. Cruiselines will wait or make other arrangements for you to join the ship if the flight they sold you is late. If it is your own flight that's late, you're on your own and they sail without you.

Also if a flight is cancelled and you can't make the cruise you're covered if they sold it to you. I fortunately booked a fly/cruise deal from rio to Southampton with MSC. Then the volcanic ash milarkey occurred. Airspace was reopened a day or so fatter the ship had sailed. I was given the choice of a full refund of cruise and flight or an alternative. Those that had booked cruise only lost the price of their cruise. Others managed to join the ship later buying new flights and a lot of hassle.

I also one bought a fly/cruise deal with MSC from London to Miami? BA flight was on the day of the cruise. Was due to land at 3pm with the ship sailing at 7pm. We were over 3 hours late in arriving. Last all aboard was 5.30 or 6.00. We did not get there until 7.20pm and they'd held the ship up for me and the other 30 or so on that flight. I was the last to board and I'd no sooner set foot onboard and the gangplank was pulled up at me butt and we were under way in less than 10 minutes. Now had I bought that flight myself, I'd have missed the ship.

Yes, even if it is an 'on the fly' package arrangement, whoever you book with as principal is responsible. If it is a cruise line package then the cruise line is responsible, otherwise it is your travel agent who assembled the package. Either way, it is only your responsibility to deal with any delays if you made the separate arrangements yourself - and those are the circumstances to make allowances for flight delays and cancellations.

It must be different for you Europeans then-maybe your rights are covered better than on this side of the pond. Believe me the horror stories are there in the cruise air forum here on CC.

Of course some could be leaving out some of the facts, but surely not all of them.

Personally, I do not understand why these feel cruise air is worse than regular air. If you plan an 8-11 hour flight to Europe and leave on a red eye (which most flights are for us going your direction) and are leaving on a cruise ship at 5 pm the next day you are asking for disaster. After all, right now I am 5 hours behind Great Britain in time as we have eastern daylight saving time-come November I will be 6 hours behind until mid march 2015. I would never do that.

I know we took a cruise from Dover in 2007, before we left, at the airport in Atlanta we met another couple taking a cruise from Dover the next day. We flew out on Tuesday night but our cruise was Saturday. The plane left Atlanta an hour late and this couple was all stressed. I think we landed at Heathrow a little before noon but of course we had to go through customs, I always wondered if they had to join their cruise a day or 2 late.

I could not understand it as they flew first class ( we were in coach) and were cruising on a better than mainstream line (maybe Crystal? Regent? I can't remember which line) they were also retired-so they did not have time or money constraints-so I could not understand why they did that.

On the bargains front, Most of the previous '£35/night' MSC UK fares on repositioning cruises have been replaced with higher ones called 'Grand Voyage' fares. Note that as this is still technically a 'promotion', not even the 'choose today, cruise tomorrow' vouchers can be used. Single supplements remain at 50% or 100% (150% or 200% of fare).

Oh the Summers are long and dull. I yearn for the Winter - 'The Social Season' and the season of reasonable value. Just another four months to wait.....

About the fly & cruise, sometimes you have no real choice since MSC only sell them combined at certain markets and certain times. I hate that, since it's happening on cruises I am interested in for next year. Maybe they will sell them separately later on, but the cruise fare is likely to be higher then...

About the fly & cruise, sometimes you have no real choice since MSC only sell them combined at certain markets and certain times. I hate that, since it's happening on cruises I am interested in for next year. Maybe they will sell them separately later on, but the cruise fare is likely to be higher then...

Although in this case of the Miami cruise, the Airberlin flight ,that they are using, alone would already cost 870 EUR. With my 8% silver discout and a travel agent willing to give me another 4% off, I would pay 1275 for the whole package. That leaves only 400 EUR for the 14 day cruise, the transfers and insurance against delayed flights.

What is this selling for in Europe???.....would like to take this but price in NA is way way tooo high

Prices in Germany start at 4890 EUR. They seem to already include certain drinks and services.

Prices in Germany start at 4890 EUR. They seem to already include certain drinks and services.

Prices include "Tour Package G (BOM03 SIN10 SYD08 MEL04 ADE01)" and "675 limited package", whatever that is.

Although in this case of the Miami cruise, the Airberlin flight ,that they are using, alone would already cost 870 EUR. With my 8% silver discout and a travel agent willing to give me another 4% off, I would pay 1275 for the whole package. That leaves only 400 EUR for the 14 day cruise, the transfers and insurance against delayed flights.

Don't be fooled by what the flight "would cost" - I don't pay for long haul flights! I hate it when cruise lines 'include' them in the fare. For me it just makes the cruise more expensive and I would have to travel in economy :eek: .

The UK site has it starting at over £4500 for an inside but saw an Australian TA starting with an inside at AUD 3299 which was a much better price.

I would have loved to do this cruise because I have never been to Australia and I have people I know in every Australian port of call.

Silly MSC, pricing me out.

I wonder how low it will go near to sailing? Shall we place bets?

Edited by Skipper Tim

Don't be fooled by what the flight "would cost" - I don't pay for long haul flights! I hate it when cruise lines 'include' them in the fare. For me it just makes the cruise more expensive and I would have to travel in economy :eek: .

But at least long haul flights are expensive (I know you have your tricks, but most people don't), while European flights can be very cheap if booked in advance with a low cost airline. And more importantly, you can organize a nice trip with pre and post cruise days.

For 2015 I think we'll probably won't go with MSC, since they force us to buy fly-packages for their Norway cruises from Spain. Not only is the airfare expensive, but they force us to go to Madrid or Barcelona first and then pay another flight, when Mallorca has 5 or 6 flights per day to Hamburg :rolleyes:. Our travel agent told us that they will sell the cruises without flights eventually, but at what price and availability?

The point is, why do that? forcing people to wait several months to buy the cruise without flights... What many people will do is just to choose another cruise line. It's not that MSC has a monopoly on cruises.

For 2015 I think we'll probably won't go with MSC, since they force us to buy fly-packages for their Norway cruises from Spain. Not only is the airfare expensive, but they force us to go to Madrid or Barcelona first and then pay another flight, when Mallorca has 5 or 6 flights per day to Hamburg :rolleyes:. Our travel agent told us that they will sell the cruises without flights eventually, but at what price and availability?

I would look into booking through a German online TA then. Cruisepool lists numerous Norway cruises for next summer as cruise-only without flights.