Statue of Liberty/ship departure

cg_abby

We leave on the Norwegian Breakaway this Sunday (!) for a cruise to Bermuda. We are driving into New York the day before by noon to sightsee. We were going to do a Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island visit that afternoon but it did not look like we would have enough time, so we rescheduled to Sunday morning at 9 AM. We will be driving our car to Battery Park and then from there drive and park at the cruise ship terminal. I know driving in New York is terrible but that is our only option right now.

My questions-

Where should we park at Battery Park? I know they do not have designated parking but are there some lots closer to the ferry departure point than others?

If we finish up our visit around 1 PM, will we have enough time to get to the cruise ship terminal, park, and board? I know the general guideline is to get there 90 minutes before departure which for us is 4 PM.

We leave on the Norwegian Breakaway this Sunday (!) for a cruise to Bermuda. We are driving into New York the day before by noon to sightsee. We were going to do a Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island visit that afternoon but it did not look like we would have enough time, so we rescheduled to Sunday morning at 9 AM. We will be driving our car to Battery Park and then from there drive and park at the cruise ship terminal. I know driving in New York is terrible but that is our only option right now.

My questions-

Where should we park at Battery Park? I know they do not have designated parking but are there some lots closer to the ferry departure point than others?

If we finish up our visit around 1 PM, will we have enough time to get to the cruise ship terminal, park, and board? I know the general guideline is to get there 90 minutes before departure which for us is 4 PM.

Are your plans to go UP in the Statue of Liberty ?, have you secured tickets already to go up ?, you do have to reserve in advance.

The Breakaway passes right in front of her on the Sailaway ! That's why I don't use the ferry anymore...your ship will be as close as those ferries are in front of her. On the island it is difficult to take a full frame picture of her...the best shots are when you are on the Ferry OR on the cruise ship.

If you do go, I once parked on the North West corner of Albany and 9A ( West avenue ), it is an indoor parking in one of the buildings affiliated with the WTC site and they inspect ( they did 2 years ago ) under the car with mirrors... It is a little walk to the Ferry but It is hard to find anything closer...or park further and pick up a taxi to go to the ferry.

From there it took us about 1h in heavy traffic to go up to about Pier88...you just never know what incident, construction, or parade, or...whatever... is happening... I wouldn't cut it close...no way I wave at the ship from the shore as it leaves the Pier :mad:

I would advise to view the Statue of Liberty from the Breakaway, starboard side, during sailaway.

Wait times for the ferries to Liberty Island can run up to 90 minutes.

You will have a better view of the island from the ship, like sebas said.

Here is the link to the official website.

http://www.nps.gov/stli/planyourvisit/hours.htm

Have a great cruise!!

Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

As others have noted, you'll get a great view of the SOL from the ship as it sails down the Hudson River.

If you're looking to do something that morning perhaps you should consider visiting the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum. The Intrepid is docked at Pier 86, one pier south of where the Breakaway docks. You can drive to the cruise ship terminal in the morning, park your car, go downstairs and walk to the Intrepid, then come back and retrieve your luggage from the car and check in for your cruise.

Are your plans to go UP in the Statue of Liberty ?, have you secured tickets already to go up ?, you do have to reserve in advance.

The Breakaway passes right in front of her on the Sailaway ! That's why I don't use the ferry anymore...your ship will be as close as those ferries are in front of her. On the island it is difficult to take a full frame picture of her...the best shots are when you are on the Ferry OR on the cruise ship.

If you do go, I once parked on the North West corner of Albany and 9A ( West avenue ), it is an indoor parking in one of the buildings affiliated with the WTC site and they inspect ( they did 2 years ago ) under the car with mirrors... It is a little walk to the Ferry but It is hard to find anything closer...or park further and pick up a taxi to go to the ferry.

From there it took us about 1h in heavy traffic to go up to about Pier88...you just never know what incident, construction, or parade, or...whatever... is happening... I wouldn't cut it close...no way I wave at the ship from the shore as it leaves the Pier :mad:

Yes, we have booked tickets for 9:00 AM, not to go up on in the Statue, but just for the grounds. I would agree with just passing the statue and seeing it from the ship, but it is really important to my parents to go on Ellis Island. Thanks for the advice about parking and drive times. We definitely don't want to miss the boat!

Yes, we have booked tickets for 9:00 AM, not to go up on in the Statue, but just for the grounds. I would agree with just passing the statue and seeing it from the ship, but it is really important to my parents to go on Ellis Island. Thanks for the advice about parking and drive times. We definitely don't want to miss the boat!

If you want to save time, don't get off at the statue - Ellis Island has a lot more going on.

The Breakaway gets about this close to SOL: (sorry sun is a wrong angle)

463865_614319088580642_1215995701_o.jpg

Parking maybe an issue downtown.

Just remember:

The time on your ticket is the entrance to the Boarding Queue for the ferry. Please line up in the Reserve ticket line prior to the time on your ticket. At the appointed time, you will be allowed to enter the Boarding Queue. Upon arrival at Battery Park or Liberty State Park you will pass through the screening facility. After passing through screening, you will board the next available ferry to Ellis Island. If you have crown tickets, we recommend you proceed directly to the information booth upon your arrival at Liberty Island.