Will they ever change chef's table menu???

Being that you have never done it and likely never will, I'm pretty sure you don't understand what we are all talking about. The cost for this, in Los Angeles, with the wine, will run you $200 min pp. At a place like Providence in LA, that cost will run upwards of $550 pp. not that the Carnival CT is on par with Providence but, I think it's somewhere in tge middle. The CT is not Applebee's or any other terrible chain restaurant like you get in the MDR. It is a unique and truly exciting/mouth watering experience. And the cost of $75 pp I would venture that, for what you get on Carnival, it's a $300 pp experience.

Good post! I definitely think it's a great experience for the money...but would love to see the wine selection upped just a bit:D

Being that you have never done it and likely never will, I'm pretty sure you don't understand what we are all talking about. The cost for this, in Los Angeles, with the wine, will run you $200 min pp. At a place like Providence in LA, that cost will run upwards of $550 pp. not that the Carnival CT is on par with Providence but, I think it's somewhere in tge middle. The CT is not Applebee's or any other terrible chain restaurant like you get in the MDR. It is a unique and truly exciting/mouth watering experience. And the cost of $75 pp I would venture that, for what you get on Carnival, it's a $300 pp experience.

Not talking about prices and the "experience". Talking about why change the menu for a few repeat people when most are getting their "experience" once.

I am going to agree with you, worth every $, one of the best meals we have had, we have gone every cruise we have gone on, Would love to see the new menu before we take our next cruise.

Not talking about prices and the "experience". Talking about why change the menu for a few repeat people when most are getting their "experience" once.

I would say that most who do it once will be repeat customers. Just my opinion. But then again, food is only fuel for some and an adventure for others, like myself.

We just cruised on Sunshine and arrived home yesterday.

Did the Chef's Table Wednesday evening.

The menu was the same as all have published and it was a wonderful evening.

Nothing "exotic" and yet very artfully prepared with a nod to molecular gastronomy.

I'd do it again. Am under the impression that as long as it sells out they will keep it...though the menu isn't "revealed" til we sat.

We did have one pompous guy--he told the chef he didn't want the salmon and asked for sea bass as a change. so RUDE!:eek: The same couple showed up 15 min late as well and kept us all waiting!

From what I've read, the Chef's Table on the Sunshine is held ... in the Steakhouse?? How many places do they have at the table? Considering treating my staff to this one night (perhaps a dozen people). If it is indeed in there - do they block off the end of it, and do some table rearranging ?? Just curious how that would work in there.

We've done the CT perhaps 5-6 times (in the galley, library, disco). We much prefer the original menu, and hope that it changes by early next year.

Tom

Kibbles and Bits just doesnt get the draw of a Chefs Table

I like many of you have repeated the menu. Which is totally fine, the food is amazing the experience way fun I mean who doesnt like getting drunk in the kitchen during dinner service jk !!!

I love doing Chef tables anywhere i go because the experience is great and usually u meet some amazing people.

I would like to see a different menu, to try something new. Not because i dont want to eat the same food again, but to try new things.

I am a picky eater and usually stick to what works for me but during chef tables i will at least try everything and ive been surprised many times...fois gras - pretty tasty veal - pretty tasty - tuna tar tar - really enjoyed cavair - not bad but not my taste....would i try these again"?> maybe, would i make them at home definately not.

trying new things, having a great experience, meeting new people those are what draw me to a chefs table.

ps my most memorable chefs table was on the royal princess with chef Alfredo. damn that chef table luminery was amazing!

Why not change to get those repeat people? Does it take away from YOUR experience if they change it? You say a "few repeat people here"

Hate to tell you but Cruise Critic has a very small percentage of the overall cruisers and you really have no idea how many have done it more than once. '

So I guess I'm not sure why you are even responding since you've never done it and don't intend to???

From what I've read, the Chef's Table on the Sunshine is held ... in the Steakhouse?? How many places do they have at the table? Considering treating my staff to this one night (perhaps a dozen people). If it is indeed in there - do they block off the end of it, and do some table rearranging ?? Just curious how that would work in there.

We've done the CT perhaps 5-6 times (in the galley, library, disco). We much prefer the original menu, and hope that it changes by early next year.

Tom

Tom, totally agree with you, the first menu was best!!! That sea bass was just to die for. Your staff will be in awe of such a great boss!!!!!

Tom, totally agree with you, the first menu was best!!! That sea bass was just to die for. Your staff will be in awe of such a great boss!!!!!

... or a great chef!!

I miss a couple of the starters from the original menu: the (prime grade) beef mini-tacos and the little avocado cheesecake morsels !! :D

NEVER before did I envision that an avocado cheesecake would be delicious - but I'm a believer now !!!

Tom

. . .We've done the CT perhaps 5-6 times (in the galley, library, disco). We much prefer the original menu, and hope that it changes by early next year.

Ditto on Tom's assessment. ;)

I thoroughly enjoyed the first menu numerous times on several different ships. I did the second menu once, and once only. Wasn't a big fan at all.

I recently booked a Fall sailing on Carnival Breeze, so will keep my eyes open for any details of upcoming changes in CT offerings.

... or a great chef!!

I miss a couple of the starters from the original menu: the (prime grade) beef mini-tacos and the little avocado cheesecake morsels !! :D

NEVER before did I envision that an avocado cheesecake would be delicious - but I'm a believer now !!!

Tom

I'm really surprised that most people here preferred the old menu. Maybe I'm swayed knowing that more skill and creativity went into the current menu. The menu is also keeping up with current culinary technique.

All I can think of is having knowledge of how these item are created is swaying me a bit to the current menu.

I'm really surprised that most people here preferred the old menu. Maybe I'm swayed knowing that more skill and creativity went into the current menu. The menu is also keeping up with current culinary technique.

All I can think of is having knowledge of how these item are created is swaying me a bit to the current menu.

We really loved the Chef from the first CT we did too, that might have skewed us a bit on the whole affair. Our second CT was on the Conquest and the Chef was kind of rude and degrading to his staff, he admitted he was not a big people person, he spent most of his time cracking the whip on his staff, it was a rather uncomfortable affair. Oh and also there was a couple that were very "knowledgeable" about everything. It just wasn't a really warm fuzzy event. The one we attended on the Miracle was just amazing, the chef and staff made it like one big private party, and the tablemates were just delightful.

But I still think that the first menu was just better tasting, even given the molecular elements of the second table, I'd still take the first.

And Tom is totally spot on, I had forgotten about that avacado cheesecake, it was amazing.

Tom

Are and Cheryl going to do any of the Celebrity Top Chef cruises? If you do, please come back and let us all know how they were. I keep thinking about them.

Tom

We did the Chef's Table on the Sunshine last November. It was in basically as seperate room, more or less behind or next to the steakhouse, sort of like a separate room they may use for groups booking the steakhouse. We were a group of about 15 when we did the CT and there was more than adequate room.

Are and Cheryl going to do any of the Celebrity Top Chef cruises? If you do, please come back and let us all know how they were. I keep thinking about them.

Perhaps at some point - and if so, I'll report back!

We did the Chef's Table on the Sunshine last November. It was in basically as seperate room, more or less behind or next to the steakhouse, sort of like a separate room they may use for groups booking the steakhouse. We were a group of about 15 when we did the CT and there was more than adequate room.

Thanks - good to know!

Tom

According to johns blog they are working on a new menu now.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Of course, I understand that they were "working on" the plans for the Destiny/Sunshine conversion for 7 years before they took the first torch to the ship !

Perhaps soon we'll have the good news.

As for me... culinary talent and creativity aside, I just like GOOD EATS !! :)

Tom

• 1 month later...

Just off the Freedom this morning - spent a few nights in the Steakhouse. Last night I asked the chef if he had heard when the new Chef's Table menu would occur. He quickly replied that it was his understanding that it was only a "couple of weeks" away at this point.

"Molecular gastronomy" was mentioned as a significant inspiration/component of the new menu.

So... just looking forward to the reviews as they start to trickle in (be it in weeks, or months)!

Tom

Just off the Freedom this morning - spent a few nights in the Steakhouse. Last night I asked the chef if he had heard when the new Chef's Table menu would occur. He quickly replied that it was his understanding that it was only a "couple of weeks" away at this point.

"Molecular gastronomy" was mentioned as a significant inspiration/component of the new menu.

So... just looking forward to the reviews as they start to trickle in (be it in weeks, or months)!

Tom

OK, I have my interest up and also in hope of a new CT menu. What in the world does molecular gastronomy mean?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by jimbo5544

OK, I have my interest up and also in hope of a new CT menu. What in the world does molecular gastronomy mean?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

HERE'S a link explaining what it's all about.

While I find it somewhat interesting, I hope that it is not such a focus that more traditional values (flavor, preparation, creativity) take a backseat to it!

Tom

Edited by Tom-n-Cheryl

Love, love, love the Chef's Table. We did the old menu once and the new menu three times before this past May. We were cruising with my sister and brother-in-law so treated them to the CT (newest menu for our fourth time). Although the food was as good as it's ever been (I don't like seafood so they switch me to chicken) but the service was extremely lacking. The Chef spent half his time on the phone or out of the room. And when I'm talking about out of the room it wasn't during the time that he typically leaves before the beef and seafood courses. It took us over four hours this time and there was too much time between courses. We will wait until a new menu comes out before booking it again.

Next cruise we're trying the steakhouse for the first time.

We did CT on the 8/11 Freedom cruise. 3rd time doing this on Carnival; each time different than the last.

This one definitely had the molecular gastronomy aspect of it.

That was some great weather and smooth seas we enjoyed, wasn't it?!

Love, love, love the Chef's Table. We did the old menu once and the new menu three times before this past May. We were cruising with my sister and brother-in-law so treated them to the CT (newest menu for our fourth time). Although the food was as good as it's ever been (I don't like seafood so they switch me to chicken) but the service was extremely lacking. The Chef spent half his time on the phone or out of the room. And when I'm talking about out of the room it wasn't during the time that he typically leaves before the beef and seafood courses. It took us over four hours this time and there was too much time between courses. We will wait until a new menu comes out before booking it again.

Next cruise we're trying the steakhouse for the first time.

Overall, I find the Steakhouse more enjoyable than the Chef's Table... and certainly more "to the point"! (Great food, service, atmosphere)

Tom