Will they ever change chef's table menu???

I'm wondering if anyone has heard any news on this. We've done the 2nd menu 2 times, and we LOVE the special attention, the behind-the-scenes peek, and so on. Although we were satisfied with repeating the same menu, since it was on different ships with different chefs, we are ready for something new this year! We are cruising in just a few weeks, and it would be another new ship/new chef experience, but we'd really like to try a new menu. Have to decide if it's worth it......

DH and I were just discussing this today. It was rumored to be changing back in January and then nothing happened. I think as long as it's sold out every cruise they're not going to bother.

I had a great time last year but won't pay the $75pp again until the menu changes. We're on the Breeze this year so there are plenty of options.

Next cruise: Carnival Breeze June 2014

There have only been two menus that I've seen over four years. I wish they'd at least make a step toward making it "Chef'" Table by allowing the ship's chef to take off one of the items and add one that is truly his or hers creation. It would be a start.

There have only been two menus that I've seen over four years. I wish they'd at least make a step toward making it "Chef'" Table by allowing the ship's chef to take off one of the items and add one that is truly his or hers creation. It would be a start.

We had somthing similar to this when we were on the Sunshine in January. It was still the same menu but the chef added something special that he created. It was a fun surprise but more food! :o I dont remember what it was but it was very good. Im sure I have a picture of it somewhere:D

I like all the people that rave about how good it was...yet after only one time they are tired of it and want something new. :rolleyes:

What's wrong with that? My wife and I rarely eat at the same restaurant twice. We ate at Providence in Los Angeles, a 2 Michelin Star restaurant, a couple months back. We had the 16 course chefs tasting menu. It was one of the best meals we have ever had, if not the best. Yet, I can't see us ever going back being that the menu hasn't changed much since it opened.

I think most people feel the same.

What's wrong with that? My wife and I rarely eat at the same restaurant twice. We ate at Providence in Los Angeles, a 2 Michelin Star restaurant, a couple months back. We had the 16 course chefs tasting menu. It was one of the best meals we have ever had, if not the best. Yet, I can't see us ever going back being that the menu hasn't changed much since it opened.

I think most people feel the same.

And yet most people return to the MDR on many cruises. Most people return to the same restaurants. Look at Olive Garden, for example. They would not be so popular if it were not for repeat business.

The chefs table is not Olive Garden or the MDR. That's the difference. the MDR is included in your cruise fare also. Totally different. Most people want a new menu because they are paying extra for that. It becomes an excursion of sorts.

Make sense?

I like all the people that rave about how good it was...yet after only one time they are tired of it and want something new. :rolleyes:

I did the Chef's Table with the first menu. I thought it was truly phenomenal. But it was expensive (I don't drink alcohol, so really, more so), and it was a TON of food.

There are pieces of it I would love to eat again. But as a singular experience, I would not want the same food again.

We did the first Chefs Table menu and it was amazing, the second one was ok but not as good as the first. We won't do it again until it changes. We are perfectly happy with the MDR food and will always do the Steak House during a cruise. I think CT is a wonderful thing, but if you're going to do it multiple times then I would want different experiences.

Do I go to the steak house every time? Yes, but there are multiple choices on that menu, the CT you are served what they have.

Comparing them are apples and oranges IMO.

Carole

The chefs table is not Olive Garden or the MDR. That's the difference. the MDR is included in your cruise fare also. Totally different. Most people want a new menu because they are paying extra for that. It becomes an excursion of sorts.

Make sense?

Have to agree, and that is what we look at it as as well. I would not book the same shore excursion twice, though some people would. Mostly though, I enjoyed the 2nd menu but not as much as the earlier menu and while the experience was a lot of fun, I wouldn't spend $75 each for the same again.

Comparing is to Olive Garden or the MDR? Seriously? Would you spend $75 to eat at either? Nope, not a chance :-)

Next cruise: Carnival Breeze June 2014

I've done the current chef's table twice and I loved it. However, I can't see paying again for the same menu. I had heard the current menu was going to change back in Oct. then Jan of this year. I was so excited to try a new menu and I have cruised 3 times since March of this year but was so disappointed to learn that it was the same menu. :(

I agree with the poster regarding the steakhouse it is excellent but there you have choices.

We just cruised on Sunshine and arrived home yesterday.

Did the Chef's Table Wednesday evening.

The menu was the same as all have published and it was a wonderful evening.

Nothing "exotic" and yet very artfully prepared with a nod to molecular gastronomy.

I'd do it again. Am under the impression that as long as it sells out they will keep it...though the menu isn't "revealed" til we sat.

We did have one pompous guy--he told the chef he didn't want the salmon and asked for sea bass as a change. so RUDE!:eek: The same couple showed up 15 min late as well and kept us all waiting!

I posted on John Heald's FB page and got this response:

Hi John! Do you know if there is a date in place to change/update the Chef's Table menu? We've made reservations for another dinner on our trip to Sydney on The Legend in August and hope it will be a new menu. Thanks for all you do for us Carnival devotees!

LikeLike ·

John Heald No specific date yet but its just around the corner and as soon as I know I will post it here. Cheers Susan and get ready for what will be a wonderful voyage.

I posted on John Heald's FB page and got this response:

Hi John! Do you know if there is a date in place to change/update the Chef's Table menu? We've made reservations for another dinner on our trip to Sydney on The Legend in August and hope it will be a new menu. Thanks for all you do for us Carnival devotees!

LikeLike ·

John Heald No specific date yet but its just around the corner and as soon as I know I will post it here. Cheers Susan and get ready for what will be a wonderful voyage.

Susan - may I ask when you posted your query on John's FB page? It sounds like they may be in the process of changing the menu. I sure hope they roll a new one out before I sail in September.

I've not ever been to the chef's table, and likely never will. I don't see the need to change menus often, because except for a few people here, most people are experiencing it for the first and possibly the last time. The seating may be sold out because there is such a small select group that attends each time, almost like a private intimate dinner.

We've done the chefs table twice...on the pride and the dream...we look at the cost as if it is a shore excursion...but we will probably not do it again until the menu changes..

I would much rather do the Chefs table than do the steakhouse:). I can get great steaks at home...I look at the Chet's table as a unique dining experience.

Edited by jbhcw

I've not ever been to the chef's table, and likely never will. I don't see the need to change menus often, because except for a few people here, most people are experiencing it for the first and possibly the last time. The seating may be sold out because there is such a small select group that attends each time, almost like a private intimate dinner.

Being that you have never done it and likely never will, I'm pretty sure you don't understand what we are all talking about. The cost for this, in Los Angeles, with the wine, will run you $200 min pp. At a place like Providence in LA, that cost will run upwards of $550 pp. not that the Carnival CT is on par with Providence but, I think it's somewhere in tge middle. The CT is not Applebee's or any other terrible chain restaurant like you get in the MDR. It is a unique and truly exciting/mouth watering experience. And the cost of $75 pp I would venture that, for what you get on Carnival, it's a $300 pp experience.