Anyone here sail Nordic Empress / Empress of the Seas

We also sailed Empress right before she left the fleet. She was known as the "little ship with the big heart" and it was appropriate. Great Crew.

She should have also been know as the little ship with the tiny cabins--you couldn't turn around in them! There was no place to sit except on the bed or in the chair at the desk. It would be OK if you only went to the cabin to sleep.

The several times I sailed on her, there were 4 women in the cabin........:eek: But, we had no problems. 2 took showers in the evening and 2 in the morning. Really worked out great. But, we were only in the cabin to sleep and shower.:p

Gwen :)

We sailed the Nordic Empress in 94 and 95. It's still our favorite ship. She was pretty inside and out. And the food was wonderful. But I am sure times have changed her now.

One of our favorite cruises out of 25 or so. Loved her. Intimate ship. Those inside cabins were really tiny for 11 nights! Can not speak for what she looks like now but we had a great cruise. Although we enjoyed Oasis bigger is not always better just different.

My very first cruise was Nordic Empress back in 1991 out of Miami.

Didn't have much to compare to since it was my first and didn't cruise again until 2004.

Wonder if I could get C & A points for that cruise with no information but July of 1991?

I had that same problem while trying to get credit for cruises we took prior to the new 'system'. I called RCI and they told me to send photos/dated cruise compasses, or whatever I had that would show a date. I did that and received credit for those cruises. Amazingly, I even had old luggage tags from Empress of the Seas and Nordic Prince I had saved in a scrapbook. Maybe you have something which they consider proof that you were on the cruise you mentioned. I even sent along a photo of my boys showing how they grew from one year to the next. Hope it works for you!

Swiss

We sailed on her Christmas week in December 1990. As we had our 13 & 14 year old boys to try to watch, we don't remember much. We had an inside lower deck cabin for all four of us. The kids were out and about every night while we slept. My only memory was that they changed the order of the ports to hit Coco Cay on Christmas Day (I think that was supposed to be Nassau) and that the captain decided to get from Coco Cay to Nassau that evening as fast as possible - lots of seasickness as that was dinnertime.

j

We sailed Empress three times. Twice from Miami and once from Philly (Hi Steve, and Terry and Woody!). Her size did not matter. Food was very good, the new friends we met excellent! We were on Monarch's last RCL sailing and miss the smaller ships. Have Majesty's last sailing (among others) booked. Did Oasis' and Allure's maiden voyages, lots of fun. But have not been back. Just returned from Rhapsody to Alaska, she is small enough to get us right up very close to Dawe's glacier (pic below) in Tracy Arm Fjord. And many, many other beautiful spots where the big ships can't go in the inside passage. Love these smaller ships!

Quantum, no thanks.

Rick and Deirdra

596747330_Alaska2014258.jpg.bd0c2eca53cf7d7111425da777a7be3b.jpg

Edited by Pumbaamd

While Pullmantur is primarily a Spanish outfit, I believe they do have reasonable accommodation for English speakers. There are several reviews in the "Other Cruise Lines" forum.

Roy

We sailed Empress three times. Twice from Miami and once from Philly (Hi Steve, and Terry and Woody!). Love these smaller ships!

Quantum, no thanks.

Rick and Deirdra

Howdy! Loved making "the cut" at Bermuda aboard Empress.

• 2 years later...
Around the ship....

ne7_zps72ecaf42.jpg

ne3_zps60d92a1c.jpg

After sailing on Empress a few times over the past couple of months, I have enjoyed learning more about the history of this delightful little ship. I am loving photos like these and the videos I have found of the cascading waterfalls in the Centrum. It's a nice variation on the multi-level Windjammer waterfalls on the Sovereign Class ships of the same era.

Does anybody know when the Empress waterfalls were removed? They appear to have survived the Nordic Empress to Empress of the Seas conversion of 2004, and possibly lasted into the Pullmantur era of 2008 (though I can't be certain based on the videos I can find). Any ideas?

Our very first cruise was on Nordic Empress in, I think 2001. We have many happy memories and no complaints.

10-day repo. San Jaun to NY. Cruise director's name was Pete and we had a forward facing window. On our next cruise we discovered balcony staterooms and can't imagine ever going back to ocean view. Still, this cruise holds a special place in our hearts. We were a couple of 20-something lovebirds with no prior cruise experience so everything about Empress was brand new and amazing to us.

First and only cruise (so far) was on the Nordic Empress in September of 2001 to Bermuda. Had to leave from Philly instead of New York because 9/11 had just happened. Strange to leave from a ship yard with extra security. Great little ship, excellent cruise...too bad the people i went with werent as great in retrospect lol I was able to get 7 days C&A credit when i finally booked my upcoming cruise. Figured it was a "cant hurt to ask" situation and it worked out for me. Looking at the above pictures brought back memories....i need to go pull them out and refresh my memory.