Westerdam cabin 4053

We booked a balcony guarantee and got VA 4053. They say it is not obstructed and all VA cabins have panoramic views. This cabin is right next to the life boats on one side and then on the L the ship starts to angle out. So I am wondering if you truly have a panoramic view? Going to Alaska and got the balcony for this purpose.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I could not find anything about your cabin on HALfacts.

Looking at HAL's deck plans, it does appear that you look at the life boats on one side and the balcony of the cabin on the other side of your balcony. Definitely doesn't appear to be a "panoramic" view.

Being at the end there before the boats start can be partially obstructed from what I see on the diagram. You can look straight to that side. Panoramic no. We never saw much when we sailed and got the best view up at the Crows Nest anyway. When you ask for a guarantee and not a specific room, you take chances. Most of the sailing is done at night except if you go to the glaciers and we found that best up high.

and then there is a cloudy or rainy day or better yet foggy like we had twice!

Montanagirlalways, if you don't mind taking the time, HALfacts could sure use photos showing the view from the verandah of this cabin. We'd love to post photos so these questions will have a definite answer in the future.

Please consider sending your cabin and verandah view photos to us at pictures@HALfacts.com.

Many thanks! Hope you have a wonderful cruise! :)

Edited by 0bnxshs

• 3 years later...
Was cabin 4053 on the Westerdam okay for a view from your balcony. I find myself in the same situation as you did several years ago. Got assigned 4053 and am worried about the view.

If I remember correctly I believe I was upset about the balcony because of the life boat stuff obstructing the view some. I was expecting a panoramic type view. I didn't care for it.

I tried to find our VA cabin on our Westerdam cruise to Alaska but could not locate the exact number. To be sure HAL had graciously offered us some OBC because of a price change after our final payment (Kudos for that) but also offered a VA mid ships vs the VD cabin we had on higher deck near bow. I questioned our ta about this and they recommended to make the change. A big mistake. The cabin was right by the mid ship elevators and as soon as we walked in it was very dark (the balcony) was covered and there was an orange glow to the room. The life boats were immediately under this cabin (orange reflection) and to add insult to injury there was a smell of fuel (apparently from fueling that happened also under us). My wife looked at me strangely and she is not a complainer (ok the table by the kitchen is fine because we will get our food faster) but I could see this was not good. I went directly to the service desk and said this cabin just would not work (at this point I would have gladly paid whatever to upgrade). This was our first trip to Alaska and having a nice balcony view was paramount. I was amazed and probably lucky that they found a cabin on high deck near bow with a beautiful balcony. We probably went from VA to VF so in theory I probably got a 'lesser' category than I originally purchased but we could not have been happier. I had never thought it possible to change a cabin at sailing on a ship that was virtually full but you learn something every day.

This was my first and last upgrade without knowing the precise location of my 'better' cabin,

@Montanagirl --

Do you have any pic at all of the room (not the view); interested to know which side/wall the head of the bed was against...

I just changed our party to have the foremost partly obscured OV and 4054... VERY pleased with the up-change. I'm hoping the indent from the ship's 'bump' will result in less wind on the balcony. It will be our third balcony and the others were only used on ONE scenic day per cruise. Too hot up the Mexican Riviera/Panama, and too cold around Cape Horn.