Bridge directors on cruises

grabbit97

We are booked on cruise out of four on April 3, 2015, and it is on the Ocean Princess. Does anyone know if they will have a bridge director so that we can play duplicate bridge on Sea Days?? This is a 32 day cruise, ending in Cape Town Sourh Africa. 19 Sea Days.

We have heard that they do not have bridge directors On Princess cruises anymore. Is this a rumor or can it be true?

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are booked on cruise out of four on April 3, 2015, and it is on the Ocean Princess. Does anyone know if they will have a bridge director so that we can play duplicate bridge on Sea Days?? This is a 32 day cruise, ending in Cape Town Sourh Africa. 19 Sea Days.

We have heard that they do not have bridge directors On Princess cruises anymore. Is this a rumor or can it be true?

Thank you

check out this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1989413&highlight=bridge+directors+on+princess+cruises

RKMW

I see you are from Australia and, as such, it is worth pointing out that most US bridge players use a system known as American Standard, which I think is a five card major system and many don't realise that other bidding systems are more prevalent in other countries.

We, for example, use the Benjaminised Acol system and, in the past, we have found that if the Bridge Director / Organiser is also running bridge lesson during the cruise, they will not want to confuse their pupils, and will insist that everyone playing in the organised bridge sessions must use the American Standard system.

Not a big problem for an experience player as it is not that different from a basic version of other 5 card major systems, but probably worth reading up on before you join the cruise as, even if there is not Director, many of your fellow passengers are likely to be uncomfortable playing against opponents who do not play American Standard.

Edited by Corfe Mixture

We are booked on cruise out of four on April 3, 2015, and it is on the Ocean Princess. Does anyone know if they will have a bridge director so that we can play duplicate bridge on Sea Days?? This is a 32 day cruise, ending in Cape Town South Africa. 19 Sea Days.

Thank you

Suggest, you contact Princess closer to the sailing date to see if they know what staffing will be on board. Also suggest you join the roll call, if not already done, to put together your own groups of passengers that have similar likes for card games and other activities.

Also suggest you join the roll call, if not already done, to put together your own groups of passengers that have similar likes for card games and other activities.

Games organized by passengers are not the same experience as ones under the direction of a Bridge Director.

Games organized by passengers are not the same experience as ones under the direction of a Bridge Director.

And soccer played by a group of guys every Tuesday night is not the same as an organized league, but it's another alternative when there is no other option.

And soccer played by a group of guys every Tuesday night is not the same as an organized league, but it's another alternative when there is no other option.

Bridge is an animal unto itself. In order to gain "official" points, there must be a certified director to authenticate and document the play. They don't play just for the fun of it. They collect points all through their lives. (I know...) Just playing with friends is fun, but it's not official. Some people say they'd rather not play than play for no official advancement. Soccer teams are different. In bridge, it's an individual effort. DH has tried to explain this to me many times, but I'm still not sure I get all the ins and outs of it. The short answer is that no director means no bridge for serious players.

Here: more than you want to know: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contract_bridge

Edited by shredie