New cruise destinations in Australia?

I'd love to cruise from Fremantle - call at Albany, Esperance, Adelaide, Tasmania - Burnie, Hobart, Launceston, NZ, Auckland, Christchurch - Ffords - all Ffiords (can't spell) - every stop in NZ - then on to the South Pacific Islands, all of them, back to Melbourne, every stop around Australia - Christmas Island - every stop down the West Coat - back to Fremantle. All for under $2,00.00 pp :eek: (as if.....) but hey - it's my imaginary cruise - imaginary price - and over 5 weeks :p - Don't want much (won't get it either );)

What a good topic. :D

Edited by dizzy1948

Dizzy that sounds really good, especially the price! But what a great combination. Since P&O are getting some "not large" ships I'd love to see them use some other ports, like Port Stephens for example.

Steve.

Some of the new ships comming are smaller to mid size ships. Would be nice if they are the right size to stop at some towns and cities that we wouldn't ordinarily see an a "typical" cruise. Having ship drive us to places we wouldn't ever bother driving the distance to, even for just an afternoon stroll around to have a look.

Obviously there are logistical problems to getting us some places, and we can't all 1500 of us line up at a local bakery in some one horse town, but you get my drift.

My cruise in December is from Cairns to Sydney. And there are so many cities and towns along the way I wish could have been on the itinerary for a stop and look around.....

I'd love a medium ship cruise from Melbourne, doing a round Tassie with overnights in a couple of places so you can get inland a bit. I'd also love a top end trip that stops in Port Douglas, Darwin, PNG to make it international, Broome and Coral Bay. Then perhaps finishes in Perth. It needs to have a couple of days at Port Douglas and Darwin though so you have time to get out to the good stuff like the reef, rainforest and Kakadu.

I'd love a medium ship cruise from Melbourne, doing a round Tassie with overnights in a couple of places so you can get inland a bit. I'd also love a top end trip that stops in Port Douglas, Darwin, PNG to make it international, Broome and Coral Bay. Then perhaps finishes in Perth. It needs to have a couple of days at Port Douglas and Darwin though so you have time to get out to the good stuff like the reef, rainforest and Kakadu.

Yep ... that sounds good - I'll add it to my "imaginary" itinerary. :p That's what our beautiful country needs (NZ as well) where you can stop over and go inland and look at what there is - even go overland to the next port - and catch the ship there. ;) I wouldn't get that for under $2,000. - Ill up it to $4,000 if I can throw in a few land overnighters - 2 or 3 nights overland a couple of times would make up somewhat to my five weeks. :D (Coming down the West Coast you would need three days just to travel from port to port without going inland :eek:)

A combined camping ( posh camping that is) and cruise holiday - love it ;)

Edited by dizzy1948

The do it well overseas, I don't see why they couldn't do overnighters here more often. When we did the Med we overnighted in Alexandria and Ashdod, we did a ship tour that flew down to Luxor on the first day and then up to Cairo on the second, expensive but so so so worth it. Ashdod allowed people to overnight in Jerusalem or do that one day and the Dead Sea the next. It would be great for Melbourne so people could do the GOR properly.

I am loving some of these ideas and think a bit of variety to the itineraries would be great, Overnighters in port, smaller places that ships do not normally stop at, etc.

I would like a longer cruise like Dizzy's suggestion but perhaps it can be bought as legs as well as the whole shebang. Taking in lots more aussie and NZ ports, some overnight stops in the larger places so that people can explore more. Along with PNG and perhaps the south pacific as well (Tahiti, Bora Bora, Moorea, Tonga, Samoa, etc).:D

I am loving some of these ideas and think a bit of variety to the itineraries would be great, Overnighters in port, smaller places that ships do not normally stop at, etc.

I would like a longer cruise like Dizzy's suggestion but perhaps it can be bought as legs as well as the whole shebang. Taking in lots more aussie and NZ ports, some overnight stops in the larger places so that people can explore more. Along with PNG and perhaps the south pacific as well (Tahiti, Bora Bora, Moorea, Tonga, Samoa, etc).:D

Love the idea of doing some longer return-trip cruises out to other South Pacific Islands!

Also love the idea of a return-trip cruise out of Fremantle to other ports in WA ... like what they do up the QLD coast at the moment.

Tania

Also love the idea of a return-trip cruise out of Fremantle to other ports in WA ... like what they do up the QLD coast at the moment.Tania

Just as they do the Cherry Blossom cruise to Asia ..

Why not a Wildflower Cruise up and down the WA coast?

(in the right season of course:D)

Just as they do the Cherry Blossom cruise to Asia ..

Why not a Wildflower Cruise up and down the WA coast?

(in the right season of course:D)

I love that idea. McCanberra

September it is then - give or take week or three - Carnarvon, Kalbarri, Jurien, Geraldton - in land of these places. Any further North of course you would have to travel inland some distance. Woolies, camera, when can we go? :rolleyes:

Edited by dizzy1948

September it is then - give or take week or three - Carnarvon, Kalbarri, Jurien, Geraldton - in land of these places. Any further North of course you would have to travel inland some distance. Woolies, camera, when can we go? :rolleyes:

As soon as the cruise company agrees.:D

I like MicCanberra's suggestions of Samoa and Tonga. I like also that the south coast NSW town of Eden will now be a new port for smaller cruise ships. It would be good to see more ports like this being developed.

I like MicCanberra's suggestions of Samoa and Tonga. I like also that the south coast NSW town of Eden will now be a new port for smaller cruise ships. It would be good to see more ports like this being developed.

Agree, Eden would be great to visit. Probably can only handle the smaller ships though.:D

I'd love to cruise from Fremantle - call at Albany, Esperance, Adelaide, Tasmania - Burnie, Hobart, Launceston, NZ, Auckland, Christchurch - Ffords - all Ffiords (can't spell) - every stop in NZ - then on to the South Pacific Islands, all of them, back to Melbourne, every stop around Australia - Christmas Island - every stop down the West Coat - back to Fremantle. All for under $2,00.00 pp :eek: (as if.....) but hey - it's my imaginary cruise - imaginary price - and over 5 weeks :p - Don't want much (won't get it either );)

What a good topic. :D

Too right although Pacific Islands are not a must have for me. Let's get a petition started? :)

I would love a cruise, on a small ship, to the outer South Pacific islands, rather than just to the main islands, such as Solomon Islands, Fiji, Tonga, Cook Islands, Tahitian Islands, New Zealand Islands, etc. Places, which are better to visit, at a slower pace, by ship and which you can't readily fly to.

Some really expensive cruiselines already do such enchanting itineraries.

We really live close to Paradise on our doorstep.

I would love a cruise, on a small ship, to the outer South Pacific islands, rather than just to the main islands, such as Solomon Islands, Fiji, Tonga, Cook Islands, Tahitian Islands, New Zealand Islands, etc. Places, which are better to visit, at a slower pace, by ship and which you can't readily fly to.

Some really expensive cruiselines already do such enchanting itineraries.

We really live close to Paradise on our doorstep.

You are in luck..

check out Aranui. They have a new ship coming soon Aranui 5.:)

Aranui5-2.jpg

You are in luck..

check out Aranui. They have a new ship coming soon Aranui 5.:)

Aranui5-2.jpg

Thanks, David. How exciting!

I have always wanted to do that cruise, since reading about an older lady who sailed in their less expensive dormitory style accommodation. I wonder if the new ship will have similar accommodation?

I have since read a newspaper article in SMH re Captain Cook Cruises new cruises to the Lau Islands of Fiji. It took 3 years of negotiations for the managing direct to develop this new route.

Has anyone done a Captain Cook Cruise to Fiji, or other exotic destination?

Thanks, David. How exciting!

I have always wanted to do that cruise, since reading about an older lady who sailed in their less expensive dormitory style accommodation. I wonder if the new ship will have similar accommodation?

I have since read a newspaper article in SMH re Captain Cook Cruises new cruises to the Lau Islands of Fiji. It took 3 years of negotiations for the managing direct to develop this new route.

Has anyone done a Captain Cook Cruise to Fiji, or other exotic destination?

I haven't done Captain Cok but many years ago we did a Blue Lagoon Cruise around the fijian islands. It was a smaller ship around 40 guests, so very personable and slowly cruised around the islands with stops for hiking, snorkeling and meeting the locals. We had a fantastic time.:D