St Petersburg

smittyblue

Where would you say is a must to go see while in St Petersburg? There is so many wonderful places to visit would love to hear what others have done and seen and what is a must see or don't bother? ( Though I am guessing there is not many places thats not worth seeing):rolleyes:

We did a Russian River cruise last September. In St. Petersburg, we hit all of the above. The story and pictures are on our website. We are always happy to answer questions.

Church on the Spilled Blood.

If you go to Peterhof, and you should, don't bother with the palace. Go to the gardens with their gilt fountains. If you can take the hydrofoil from the city you will have a spectacular view as you approach the lower gardens.

Catherine's Palace is far more beautiful inside than Peterhof, which is a summer palace.

The Peter and Paul Fortress houses a chapel with the tombs of the czars. It is not large and can get very crowded but if you have studied Russian history it is meaningful.

A quick trip down to the subway is another highlight.

The Church on Spilt Blood is on every tour. Just be aware that it is no longer a church, but a concert hall. The exterior may be of more interest than the interior especially if you visit other churches.

Do book with one of the recommended tour operators chosen by members of your Roll Call. These guides do a spectacular job of time management and you will see more with a small group.

You didn't say how long you will be in SPB. That will make a difference. I've been there for ten days and still have a list of sites!

Before booking an evening folkloric dance in St Petersburg, either by ship-based excursion or private excursion, check to see if the ship will have a Russian troupe do a show onboard. Although we had a great experience on our privately booked excursion, videos of the ship-board dance aboard the RCI Brilliance of Seas looked very good to us -- next time we'll stay onboard.

As Hoaky as it may sound, if you have the time take a Vodka Tour...Not real long, but we had a ball. The guides and entertainment were a blast,and you see some sights not on all the regular tours. The vodka is only soso, but but the experience was worth it.

In addition to the sites listed previously, I highly recommend a tour of Yusupov Palace. It is where Prince Yusupov poisoned and shot Rasputin before throwing him in a river to drown. The palace is different from Peterhof and Catherine and well worth a visit. Sometimes ballet or opera performances are held there on a ship's evening excursion.

I agree with the Vodka tour with a walk around the streets and shopping...much better for the night than the Ballet.

The big players of the Bolshoi are often on tour in the summer so its not certain they will be back for your cruise. Obviously the younger student cast will still be amazing but something to consider.

I recommend TJ tours...lots of different options and friendly guides.