Beware of Celebrity

kkon

If the ship can wait it will. There have been instances where the ship had to leave (last time in Alaska) but the ships tour group had to spend the night ashore and were flown the next day to catch the ship.

Occasionally, a ship must leave the dock at a specified time, no matter what. Often this involves tidal flows and access out of the port - leave now or be trapped for hours until the tide comes back in. Sometimes another ship must use that space, so the first ship must move out of the way. Occasionally, as happened a year or so ago, storm conditions make it dangerous for the ship to stay in port, so it must mover to safer water, or are ordered away by the local authorities.

In most of these cases, ship sponsored tours that missed the departure will be ferried back to the ship, which is now usually waiting in safe waters, by use of the ship's tenders. Or even by the port pilot boats. On very rare occasions, ship tours may be left behind, but they are always accommodated. They will be sheltered overnight and returned to the ship at the next port, all at the cruise line's expense.

They are NEVER left behind to fend for themselves.

Edited by boogs

...how about sending an email -- the cyberlounge must have been open.

Sorry, but your crankiness is poor form. Let's see....you did not opt to book with Celebrity but you want them to be responsible for your disappointment.....hmmmmm

We booked a shore excursion in Venice for the morning of our arrival in Venice. A few days before arrival in Venice the Silhouette captain announced we would not make port at the advertised 9 AM arrival, but now at 12 noon. In fact we didn't disembark in Venice until after 1PM!!!!!

So, everyone who had booked the better shore excursions with private companies in the AM was ostensibly out all of their money unless they could get the tour operator to give them a refund on extremely short notice. BEWARE OF CELEBRITY and their listed itineraries.

When I wrote to Celebrity and asked them what they would do to compensate those who lost money this was their response.

"However, as indicated in our Cruise Ticket Contract, Celebrity Cruises reserves the right to change or alter the itinerary, including arrival and departure times at various ports of call. As such, we must respectfully decline your request for compensation in this matter. We regret any disappointment this may cause."

Forewarned is fair warned----BEWARE!!!!!!!

Yes, be forewarned. We have been forewarned for many years and understand the risk/reward when we book a private tour. We also check to see what the cancellation policy is. We have been lucky so far and been late and had our private tour operator modify the tour upon our late arrival, but we knew the risk and knew Celebrity is of no help.

We book Celebrity Cruise sponsored tours in many ports for that reason alone.

Edited by shipshape sam

We booked a shore excursion in Venice for the morning of our arrival in Venice. A few days before arrival in Venice the Silhouette captain announced we would not make port at the advertised 9 AM arrival, but now at 12 noon. In fact we didn't disembark in Venice until after 1PM!!!!!

So, everyone who had booked the better shore excursions with private companies in the AM was ostensibly out all of their money unless they could get the tour operator to give them a refund on extremely short notice. BEWARE OF CELEBRITY and their listed itineraries.

When I wrote to Celebrity and asked them what they would do to compensate those who lost money this was their response.

"However, as indicated in our Cruise Ticket Contract, Celebrity Cruises reserves the right to change or alter the itinerary, including arrival and departure times at various ports of call. As such, we must respectfully decline your request for compensation in this matter. We regret any disappointment this may cause."

Forewarned is fair warned----BEWARE!!!!!!!

BEWARE!!!!!!!!! of taking advice from people with poor planning skills! Forewarned is fair warned. ;)

Edited by swsfrail

We always do our own thing at ports, either private tour or self guided. We do always plan on being back on board min of 2 hours prior to the required time. That gives us a lot of peace of mind and we still have a great day.

As others have said, planes, buses, taxis and cars all get delayed for various reasons. We have had delayed arrivals on P & O and ports cancelled on carnival but never had problems with celebrity, RC or princess.

It is so boring reading the terms and conditions of contracts. We all have done it from time to time, but it really is up to us to take the time and either read them online, or print them out.

I agree it is annoying when times are changed, and that is why we no longer fly in on the day of sailing. We have had flights cancelled on us.

For those that have said beware all travelling methods, yep, it is very hard to have your times changed, and if it is too stressful, plan to do it another way.

Not a Celebrity fault, it is the way the travel industry is. Much easier really to stay home sometimes :)

Boogs, I'm with you on this one -- I'd really like to hear why this poster finds the ships' written shore excursion policy "disingenuous" and a "misnomer". While obviously, the ship's Captain has the final word on when the ship departs, Celebrity is responsible for getting those passengers who are on a ship-sponsored shore excursion back onboard.

I had first-hand experience with this a few years ago, when our Celebrity shore excursion to Jost Van Dyke ran nearly an hour late, getting back to the ship in Tortola (BVI). The shore excursion folks were waiting on the pier, to make sure that we all got onboard -- and they pulled the gangway right up, behind us!

And FWIW, we often take private shore excursions too, and we've never had a problem with any of them getting us back on time. The difference is: in those situations we know that it's OUR responsibility to get back before the ship sails.

Sorry didn't mean to stir the hornets nest...I was away for the weekend. My point is taking a ship tour is like booking air with a cruise line...of course they try and wait for passengers (and that is true of both ship tours and private tours...and of course more for ship tours...), but if the tour is late and the captain has to leave port, they will leave...

that is exactly what i posted...i should probably have continued to say that they obviously would get you to the next port to meet the ship.

It is quite obvious that the poster is a private tour snob. Nothing good to say about ships tours, and glowing endorsements about private tours. To make matters worse, he/she then continues by posting inaccurate claims about which form of touring is most likely to miss the ship - that private tours have zero chance, and that waiting for ship tours is a "misnomer".

I hate it when people post false information to push their own agendas. :rolleyes:

I think it is funny that I am a snob...I wish you really knew me. (well maybe not)

My point was that if the first thing during the ship tour presentations (or at least something the VIGOROUSLY stress) the fact that you will be back on board ship with their tours...insinuating that if you go on your own you will probably watch as the ship sails away, then I think that is disingenuous. Experienced cruisers (and especially CC members) know better.

If I told you you could be on a shuttle bus with 12 people (instead of 50 on a regular tour bus), it would cost 1/2 of what the ship charges and you would see more sites (and not be waiting for what always seems to be 2 or 4 people that have no conception of time), and it is organized on CC, I would hope you would think that is something to consider.

We have taken many ship tours and I would take some of them again.

The ship tour presentation, IMHO, is used as a way to scare (and for some new to cruising, rightly so??) passengers into booking with them. And That is just the way it is...they want to make money and they are very good at it. I'll bet if they had a statistic that said, ship tours are back on board (or back on board at next port if major problem at their expense) 100% of the time, or private tours are back on board 99.998 percent of the time, that a rational person wouldn't sweat it!

Sorry didn't mean to stir the hornets nest

And yet, here you are again continuing to stir that nest.

My point is taking a ship tour is like booking air with a cruise line...of course they try and wait for passengers (and that is true of both ship tours and private tours...and of course more for ship tours...), but if the tour is late and the captain has to leave port, they will leave...

that is exactly what i posted...i should probably have continued to say that they obviously would get you to the next port to meet the ship.

The captain will always do everything in his power to wait for a ship's tour that is running late. This happened to us on our South American cruise a few years ago. Due to a malfunction with our bus on the way back, we arrived at the dock almost two hours late. The ship had to vacate the dock, but it waited out in the harbor. We were ferried back to the ship using the ship's tender, which was waiting for us at a passenger loading area. No need to put us up or transport us to the next port. They simply waited at a safe distance away from the dock, as would be the most logical solution. There was no need to make it more complicated than it needed to be. The tour guide on the bus kept us informed of the plan, so we never had a reason to worry.

So, instead of worrying people with unfounded claims that they will not wait, with people being forced be away from the ship overnight while being transported to the next port, please defer to an experienced person's first hand description of the process.

My point was that if the first thing during the ship tour presentations (or at least something the VIGOROUSLY stress) the fact that you will be back on board ship with their tours...insinuating that if you go on your own you will probably watch as the ship sails away, then I think that is disingenuous. Experienced cruisers (and especially CC members) know better.

The ship tour presentation, IMHO, is used as a way to scare (and for some new to cruising, rightly so??) passengers into booking with them. And That is just the way it is...they want to make money and they are very good at it. I'll bet if they had a statistic that said, ship tours are back on board (or back on board at next port if major problem at their expense) 100% of the time, or private tours are back on board 99.998 percent of the time, that a rational person wouldn't sweat it!

I don't know what cruise lines you usually cruise with, but the three I favor don't use such tactics. I have never been told that I will probably miss my ship if I take a private tour. I have been told, however, that IF that private tour returns late, there is no guarantee that the ship will still be there. The key word is IF. Sometimes they may wait - I have seen that happen numerous times - but there is the very real chance that they may not.

Let's keep the facts real instead of sensationalizing them.

Edited by boogs

And yet, here you are again continuing to stir that nest.

The captain will always do everything in his power to wait for a ship's tour that is running late. This happened to us on our South American cruise a few years ago. Due to a malfunction with our bus on the way back, we arrived at the dock almost two hours late. The ship had to vacate the dock, but it waited out in the harbor. We were ferried back to the ship using the ship's tender, which was waiting for us at a passenger loading area. No need to put us up or transport us to the next port. They simply waited at a safe distance away from the dock, as would be the most logical solution. There was no need to make it more complicated than it needed to be. The tour guide on the bus kept us informed of the plan, so we never had a reason to worry.

So, instead of worrying people with unfounded claims that they will not wait, with people being forced be away from the ship overnight while being transported to the next port, please defer to an experienced person's first hand description of the process.

I don't know what cruise lines you usually cruise with, but the three I favor don't use such tactics. I have never been told that I will probably miss my ship if I take a private tour. I have been told, however, that IF that private tour returns late, there is no guarantee that the ship will still be there. The key word is IF. Sometimes they may wait - I have seen that happen numerous times - but there is the very real chance that they may not.

Let's keep the facts real instead of sensationalizing them.

I never said they won't wait...I said they would (and have) leave without you...and I also said that was obviously a rare case. EVERY presentation by the cruise ship excursion department specifically mentions the "we won't leave you behind" pitch. It is in the power point they use. So they do insinuate that their excursion are safe and others you are on your own...which is true...i'm not saying they are lying, i'm just saying it is a very rare occurrence that ANY organized tour passengers miss the ship.

I never said they won't wait...I said they would (and have) leave without you...and I also said that was obviously a rare case. EVERY presentation by the cruise ship excursion department specifically mentions the "we won't leave you behind" pitch. It is in the power point they use. So they do insinuate that their excursion are safe and others you are on your own...which is true...i'm not saying they are lying, i'm just saying it is a very rare occurrence that ANY organized tour passengers miss the ship.

I see no reason why a cruise line can't give customers peace of mind by saying "we won't leave you behind" (maybe they should add, if we have to depart before you are back, we will get you back to the ship at no cost to you). They are speaking for those shore excursions that they sell and don't have any responsibility to even mention shore excursions that are not purchased through them.

I see no reason why a cruise line can't give customers peace of mind by saying "we won't leave you behind" (maybe they should add, if we have to depart before you are back, we will get you back to the ship at no cost to you). They are speaking for those shore excursions that they sell and don't have any responsibility to even mention shore excursions that are not purchased through them.

The reason they can't and won't say that is very simple: $$$$$! When you hire a private contractor the responsibility is between you and the contractor YOU selected. They will wait as long as they can, but there are limits.

Edited by Orator

The reason they can't and won't say that is very simple: $$$$$! When you hire a private contractor the responsibility is between you and the contractor YOU selected. They will wait as long as they can, but there are limits.

If you read what I said:

I see no reason why a cruise line can't give customers peace of mind by saying "we won't leave you behind" (maybe they should add, if we have to depart before you are back, we will get you back to the ship at no cost to you). They are speaking for those shore excursions that they sell and don't have any responsibility to even mention shore excursions that are not purchased through them. Which was in response to this post: EVERY presentation by the cruise ship excursion department specifically mentions the "we won't leave you behind" pitch.

Edited by NLH Arizona

If you read what I said:

I see no reason why a cruise line can't give customers peace of mind by saying "we won't leave you behind" (maybe they should add, if we have to depart before you are back, we will get you back to the ship at no cost to you). They are speaking for those shore excursions that they sell and don't have any responsibility to even mention shore excursions that are not purchased through them. Which was in response to this post: EVERY presentation by the cruise ship excursion department specifically mentions the "we won't leave you behind" pitch.

OK, we agree on this one.

Your posts sure read that way! You said, and I quote, "...is playing on a fear that is disingenuous at best...", implying that the reasons are even worse. And what is worst than 'disingenuous at best'? Lying.

You also strongly implied that they are not very honest because to you they are "...insinuating that if you go on your own you will probably watch as the ship sails away, then I think that is disingenuous...."

From the Merriam Webster dictionary:

in·sin·u·ate verb \in-ˈsin-yə-ˌwāt, -yü-ˌāt\

: to say (something, especially something bad or insulting) in an indirect way

: to introduce (as an idea) gradually or in a subtle, indirect, or covert way <insinuate doubts into a trusting mind>

dis·in·gen·u·ous adjective \ˌdis-in-ˈjen-yə-wəs, -yü-əs-\

: not truly honest or sincere : giving the false appearance of being honest or sincere

In other words, "Lying".

And in your latest post you again are telling people that, and I quote: "...I said they would (and have) leave without you...". Sounds to me like you are pretty clearly telling people that they will indeed leave, which is not what the rest of us have experienced.

I don't know why you insist on confusing people. :confused:

Edited by fortinweb

Your posts sure read that way! You said, and I quote, "...is playing on a fear that is disingenuous at best...", implying that the reasons are even worse. And what is worst than 'disingenuous at best'? Lying.

You also strongly implied that they are not very honest because to you they are "...insinuating that if you go on your own you will probably watch as the ship sails away, then I think that is disingenuous...."

From the Merriam Webster dictionary:

in·sin·u·ate verb \in-ˈsin-yə-ˌwāt, -yü-ˌāt\

: to say (something, especially something bad or insulting) in an indirect way

: to introduce (as an idea) gradually or in a subtle, indirect, or covert way <insinuate doubts into a trusting mind>

dis·in·gen·u·ous adjective \ˌdis-in-ˈjen-yə-wəs, -yü-əs-\

: not truly honest or sincere : giving the false appearance of being honest or sincere

In other words, "Lying".

And in your latest post you again are telling people that, and I quote: "...I said they would (and have) leave without you...". Sounds to me like you are pretty clearly telling people that they will indeed leave, which is not what the rest of us have experienced.

I don't know why you insist on confusing people. :confused:

Ok you win. I give up. I am calling a truce. If someone needs to quote dictionary definitions to prove me wrong I (and you) should move on and spend our time for the betterment of all. After almost a thousand posts I have been found out as an having an anti cruise (or anti X. Because I only sail on them) agenda. The excursion people play on the fear that you will be left behind to make money. I have no problem with them making money, just wish they could do it a little more honestly.

I really wish I could go back to original post and add that YES they could (and HAVE) left the dock without ship tour passengers BUT BUT BUT it is very rare AND that of course they would get unto next port on their dime.

I am a X loyalist and really enjoy cruising with them. As a mid level elite I think I try to be fair in my comments regarding them, and I'm sorry if my post stating facts is confusing.

Enjoy sailing, hopefully with X.

Ok you win. I give up. I am calling a truce. If someone needs to quote dictionary definitions to prove me wrong I (and you) should move on and spend our time for the betterment of all. After almost a thousand posts I have been found out as an having an anti cruise (or anti X. Because I only sail on them) agenda. The excursion people play on the fear that you will be left behind to make money. I have no problem with them making money, just wish they could do it a little more honestly.

I really wish I could go back to original post and add that YES they could (and HAVE) left the dock without ship tour passengers BUT BUT BUT it is very rare AND that of course they would get unto next port on their dime.

I am a X loyalist and really enjoy cruising with them. As a mid level elite I think I try to be fair in my comments regarding them, and I'm sorry if my post stating facts is confusing.

Enjoy sailing, hopefully with X.

Yeah, you are probably right. I'm a nitpicker at heart, and sometimes I let it get the best of me. I've been cooped up in the house for too long recovering from surgery with way too much time on my hands, and I'm getting stir crazy. Our next X cruise is coming up in a few months and I need to be healed or I'm going to be a pretty disappointed guy. Perhaps my anxiety is messing with my Nit-Pick-O-Meter and it's set too high. So, in a gesture of solidarity with a fellow X loyalist, let me apologize for my over exuberance. We X fans need to stick together to defend against the X deniers. ;)

But, in a way, our parrying has been kinda fun, hasn't it? :D

Last year, we were delayed arriving in Naples due to a dock strike. For 2 hours, nothing moved. We had booked a full day tour with RomeinLimo. We called them explaining the situation. The guide waited for us. We started our tour about 3 hours late. The guide gave us the whole 8 hour tour. Luckily we were staying overnight in Naples. WE paid at the end of the tour. I have used them again and have recommended them to friends.

Last year, we were delayed arriving in Naples due to a dock strike. For 2 hours, nothing moved. We had booked a full day tour with RomeinLimo. We called them explaining the situation. The guide waited for us. We started our tour about 3 hours late. The guide gave us the whole 8 hour tour. Luckily we were staying overnight in Naples. WE paid at the end of the tour. I have used them again and have recommended them to friends.
Yes, if the OP wanted to provide a "real" service to everyone else on CC, he would have done a "Beware of XYZ travel guide service" Because the issue here is not that X had to change their itinerary, it was that the travel service that required him to pay in full in advance, who was notified by the OP several days prior to the scheduled day in Venice that the ship was going to be late; did not attempt to accommodate him.

The real bewares:

• Beware of contracts with service providers that do not in some way address what will happen if the cruise arrival to the port is delayed or cancelled.
    If you chose to enter into an agreement with a provider that will not refund part or all of your money in such a situation, that is the decision that you have made.
  • Beware that it is your responsiblity to notify a service operator as soon as you are notified of anything that will impact a tour you have contracted with him.
    You tripped and sprained your ankle - I guess a lot of the "walking tour" is now out.
    One of our tour members was terrified of long steep escalators -- she stayed on the bus with the driver between stops on the portion of our tour of St. Petersburg's subways (I am only very scared and only of going down, so I hid my eyes in my husband's shoulder while my DD reassured me continually on the way down :D)

And if a tour operator reneges on something in your contract and does not do "right" by you - then you can (and should) warn others of that tour operator. But if someone does something totally within their rights based upon a contract that you signed with him/her -- don't be complaining about them, man up and say "hey, I screwed up and did not pay attention to the cruise contract and here is what happened. . . ."