Restaurants Falmouth

connes1

There are lots of good local places outside of the compound for jerk chicken, goat curry, meat pies, and other caribbean foods, etc. The streets can be crowded and the restaurants won't look upscale, but the people are nice and you'll find great food at low prices.

There is a Dairy Queen or Nathans hot dogs you can get in the compound area. :confused:

My opinion is Margaritaville is overpriced American chain food similar to Fridays/Applebees/Chilis/Ruby Tuesday, etc. I honestly believe the Windjammer is as good or better, and for $0 extra.

If I was going to spend money in a port it is to sample local foods that I do not have easy access to at home. The bar area at M'ville is nice enough for a party atmosphere, I'll concede that. Just beware any "specialty" drinks as the cost can be pretty high.

My opinion is Margaritaville is overpriced American chain food similar to Fridays/Applebees/Chilis/Ruby Tuesday, etc. I honestly believe the Windjammer is as good or better, and for $0 extra....

I tend to agree - not somewhere I would want to go on vacation in the Caribbean. :o

Having said that, inside the compound there is a little local patty shack - we ate at least 5 of them... I think... Jamaican patty overload for sure but worth it! If you choose not to leave the area, this is delicious and we saw many locals eating there too.

The Nathan's hot dog place is pretty good and the food is definitely not like cruise food so it's a nice break. Also fast to get and eat.

Margaritaville is hectic and overpriced and super noisy with people yelling on the speakers all the time. It was very slow and we finally just got up and left after waiting a while.

Dairy Queen is Dairy Queen :)

BTW, off topic, but I bought some of the Blue Mountain coffee they had for sale in one of the stores in Falmouth and, even though it was expensive, it was awful when we tried it at home. I think it was pretty old.

Tom

We stopped at this place to eat on the way back from Dunns River Falls.

043_zps5708cb15.jpg

It is on the highway between Falmouth and Ocho Rios about 15 minutes from the port. Very good Jamaican food, Jerk Chicken, Patties, etc. There is also a outside patio bar It seems to be a popular place for the tour buses to stop at on the way back as there were 3 there when we stopped there!

BTW, off topic, but I bought some of the Blue Mountain coffee they had for sale in one of the stores in Falmouth and, even though it was expensive, it was awful when we tried it at home. I think it was pretty old.

Oh no! Sorry to hear this. :( We bought some beans too but from the actual Blue Mountain store. Our coffee was delicious.

We stopped at this place to eat on the way back from Dunns River Falls.

043_zps5708cb15.jpg

It is on the highway between Falmouth and Ocho Rios about 15 minutes from the port. Very good Jamaican food, Jerk Chicken, Patties, etc. There is also a outside patio bar It seems to be a popular place for the tour buses to stop at on the way back as there were 3 there when we stopped there!

Thanks for the info.

Tom

Oh wow that is too bad! We bought some in Falmouth and ours was delicious! I just wih we would have bought more than we did!

My opinion is Margaritaville is overpriced American chain food similar to Fridays/Applebees/Chilis/Ruby Tuesday, etc. I honestly believe the Windjammer is as good or better, and for $0 extra.

If I was going to spend money in a port it is to sample local foods that I do not have easy access to at home. The bar area at M'ville is nice enough for a party atmosphere, I'll concede that. Just beware any "specialty" drinks as the cost can be pretty high.

You're right about the food ... not bad but not special.

You're also right about the party atmosphere -- Margaritaville is LOTS more FUN than any of the chains named.

Sometimes, it cost money to have FUN! :D

Note: There is a place within the secured terminal area of Falmouth that sells the Jamaican meat pies.

LuLu

I was looking for an authentic but good Jamaican restaurant.

Club Nazz. Totally local food. You'll find a lot of the cruise ship staff there. It's not air conditioned, a bit "rustic" (think 1950ish :-D) , but totally authentic food with very nice wait staff. We would go back again for sure. Oh, and bonus! they have wi-fi!

It's only a few blocks away from the port. We had NO issues with getting to the restaurant. Many people have bad things to say about leaving the port area, but if you don't leave the port area, have you really visited the country you're in? We found everyone in town and in the restaurant to be pleasant and helpful. Never felt in danger once.

Edited by artypharty
add comment

Club Nazz. Totally local food. You'll find a lot of the cruise ship staff there. It's not air conditioned, a bit "rustic" (think 1950ish :-D) , but totally authentic food with very nice wait staff. We would go back again for sure. Oh, and bonus! they have wi-fi!

It's only a few blocks away from the port. We had NO issues with getting to the restaurant. Many people have bad things to say about leaving the port area, but if you don't leave the port area, have you really visited the country you're in? We found everyone in town and in the restaurant to be pleasant and helpful. Never felt in danger once.

So agree! We've always found the best source of information for this sort of thing is to check around with the bartenders/servers. They know! :)

LuLu

Does anybody know if there are good restaurants in or near Falmouth Jamaica that they would recommend?

In Falmouth in March and we booked an independent Jamaican Culinary tour. We totally enjoyed it and saw parts of Falmouth we probably wouldn't have seen otherwise. Do an online search and you will find it.

It is a walking food tour. The guide will give history of Falmouth and stop along the way for local Falmouth foods. Great experience from start to finish.

We had everything from fruit to meat pies to jerk chicken. Have no problem recommending it.

HINT: Take your sunscreen and apply liberally and a cap/hat. :) It was hot, and we were glad we had both items.

Edited by denamo

In Falmouth in March and we booked an independent Jamaican Culinary tour. We totally enjoyed it and saw parts of Falmouth we probably wouldn't have seen otherwise. Do an online search and you will find it.

It is a walking food tour. The guide will give history of Falmouth and stop along the way for local Falmouth foods. We loved it!

We had everything from fruit to meat pies to jerk chicken. Have no problem recommending it.

HINT: Take your sunscreen and apply liberally and a cap/hat. :) It was hot, and we were glad we had both items.

That sounds nice thanks for sharing.

Walked around Jamaica with girlfriends and we were fine. Yes, people approach you, but they do that everywhere! No problems at all.

Can someone describe what the meat pies within the compound taste like?

I will be gone all day at The Rose Hall Hilton resort, but am thinking of grabbing one on my way back. I mean, I realize the name "meat pie" pretty much sums it up, but is there anything special about them? Are they yummy?

Walked around Jamaica with girlfriends and we were fine. Yes, people approach you, but they do that everywhere! No problems at all.

Can someone describe what the meat pies within the compound taste like?

I will be gone all day at The Rose Hall Hilton resort, but am thinking of grabbing one on my way back. I mean, I realize the name "meat pie" pretty much sums it up, but is there anything special about them? Are they yummy?

Nothing like a nice Jamaican meat pie. Ground meat spices, sometimes cheese or tomato in the deluxe version, all in a flaky pastry shell.