From HAL today re Flu - NOT Noro

arzz

We are traveling this Friday but didn't get this message yet from HAL. Some traveling later than us have already received it. Are they sending to everyone or just random, I wonder? My 80 yo aunt is traveling with us and I don't need her (or my kids for that matter) catching the flu!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Why wouldn't they forward that information along to the passengers? Many states do mass-notifications to various industries, (travel & tourism, business, production, etc) when it comes to health-related issues dependent upon what the issue is. It's been a longer than usual flu season for many states this year as well. HAL in turn is passing that notification along to their passengers.

Why would they offer to let you cancel your cruise? Would they let people cancel during the 'normal' peak times of flu season, (typically Dec-Fed)? No, they wouldn't, as it's nothing new, and occurs every year.

HAL is doing what they can do remind people not to be morons and to take charge as much as they can in their own health. And as they say, if you have questions, you should talk to your physician. :p

I sail on Westerdam in 6 days and received the notice from HAL yesterday.

I also just checked on the Link provided by HAL and can see the statistics of where, how many and what type/straion of Influenze they are reporting.

I am not opting out of either cruise because of this notice. Nor do I think HAL should provide an out for me or others that are at higher risk. It is what it is and I could catch it here at home as easily as on a ship or in a Port.

Joanie

HAL is not responsible for a flu outbreak and has no requirement to refund cruisers' fares should they choose to cancel their cruise.. HAL did the responsible thing by notifying (most) cruisers who could be impacted and other than keeping a clean ship, which they always do, what more should be expected of them?

Edited by sail7seas

HAL is not responsible for a flu outbreak and has no requirement to refund cruisers' fares should they choose to cancel their cruise.. HAL did the responsible thing by notifying (most) cruisers who could be impacted and other than keeping a clean ship, which they always do, what more should be expected of them?

I don't believe that HAL needs to refund our fare. It's up to us to make our choices on how we handle the issue.

We have no plans to cancel. We are going to be more proactive. We added a "porch" onto our cabin and have elected to move to a veranda. Yes it's a costly "porch", but I figured that a bit more fresh air vs. entirely recycled air might be prudent for our situation at this time.

I am sure there is no one answer, other than wash the hands, wash the hands, wash the hands! Oh and cover your sneeze/cough if you have one...:rolleyes:

Edited by localady

and there are folks like me who can't get a flu shot. I am allergic to the protein they use so couldn't get the Measles, Mumps or Chickenpox vaccines when I was a kid either (ended up getting the Measles but not the other two) I am not going on a cruise this summer but if I were I would just do a lot of hand washing etc like I normally do.

I don't believe that HAL needs to refund our fare. It's up to us to make our choices on how we handle the issue.

We have no plans to cancel. We are going to be more proactive. We added a "porch" onto our cabin and have elected to move to a veranda. Yes it's a costly "porch", but I figured that a bit more fresh air vs. entirely recycled air might be prudent for our situation at this time.

I am sure there is no one answer, other than wash the hands, wash the hands, wash the hands! Oh and cover your sneeze/cough if you have one...:rolleyes:

Sounds like a good plan. :)

Happy you added a 'porch'. I love expressing it that way.

Enjoy it. Good idea to have a nice place to breath clean, sea air.

Hope you have a great cruise. :)

Sounds like a good plan. :)

Happy you added a 'porch'. I love expressing it that way.

Enjoy it. Good idea to have a nice place to breath clean, sea air.

Hope you have a great cruise. :)

Thanks Sails, we intend to spend many hours enjoying the scenery from the porch, rain or shine! Love, love, love the clean sea air! :D

I, too, feel that in no way does HAL owe us a refund for a condition that is not on board - but I am still unsure why they sent the warning. If it was to encourage healthy habit of hand washing - that could wait until we get on board.

Does announcing an on shore flu epidemic somehow absolve HAL for a future possible liability? The announcement is interesting information but still not sure of its purpose. That is why I started this thread. It is just an unusual sort of sharing.

I suspect, from the perspective of the spread of infectious disease that Alaska is unusual as during the winter months there is little traffic in and out - which means that their environment percolates only what is already there - then the onset of thousands and thousands of folks from all over in the summer season must bring all sorts of bacterial and viral vermin to the area that we are used to from the winter months that proliferate in this seemingly virginal environment. I suspect it skews the onset of the flu season in Alaska every year.

Just back from the Oosterdam and a lovely 7-day cruise to Alaska. Hubby came down with the worst upper respiratory cold/flu two days after returning from our trip. I'm sure he could have picked it up anywhere, but there were many people onboard with a similar ailment. As a side note - I have never ever seen so few people using the hand sanitizer upon entering the buffet, nor so few women washing their hands in the ladies' room. Of course I know the sanitizer isn't the answer, but it's something. And Captain Boss must have reminded us to wash our hands twice each day with his announcements. Such is life...

We were on the Veendam two weeks ago for a fourteen day Boston to Quebec City to Boston. On the day we were sailing up the St. Lawrence, DH was tired and by the time we got to Quebec City, he has chills, fever, sneezing & coughing. Needless to say that the tree days we were in Quebec City he was in bed. Things happen anywhere and at anytime. We just do the best with what happens.

Terry

We always book a verandah so that we can spend time out in the fresh air. I am sure that the recirculation of germs via the a/c is responsible for a lot URTI that is so common on ships.

I have been really healthy since retiring from the workforce. I am not in a/c buildings all the time. JMHO.

The notice was probably a CYA type thing. We received something like that on our January cruise on the NCL Star. There had been Noro outbreak on the cruise before ours, CDC worthy in regard to reporting. Everyone received a letter offering the opportunity to cancel. We didn't and had a great cruise in spite of Noro precautions. Came home healthy from that one.

Came home sick with upper respiratory after cruises on HAL Westerdam in December and NCL Jade in April. That seems to get me worse than any Noro as we are paranoid about handwashing and using anti-bacterial products. Just can't avoid airborne germs, it seems.

Who knows what strain of flu they are seeing?

If you got flu shot last fall, it could have been different strain and ineffective against whichever is currently active.

The Alaska site states the number of confirmed cases and the strain so if you know what strains you were given in the flu vaccine, you may be ok. I don't remember what the actual numbers or strains found were.

I found the info under the viral lab info.

The Alaska site states the number of confirmed cases and the strain so if you know what strains you were given in the flu vaccine, you may be ok.
We had dinner the other night with friends who are both microbiologists and discussed this thread. Even if one received the immunization last fall for the current strain, the effects of that vaccine today would be minimal at best. In addition to getting their shots in the fall, they typically get a duplicate immunization in Jan-Feb. They feel that the effect of that original shot has worn off enough by even then to warrant another.

I hope everyone stays healthy as they embark on their summer vacations.

I have a personal rule on a cruise ship: "Touch nothing!" I refrain from placing my hands on handrails, elevator buttons, buffet utensils, public bathrooms.

I, like many others, wash frequently and refrain from touching my face and hair as much as possible.

I have a personal rule on a cruise ship: "Touch nothing!" I refrain from placing my hands on handrails, elevator buttons, buffet utensils, public bathrooms.

I, like many others, wash frequently and refrain from touching my face and hair as much as possible.

Good advice. Before going on a cruise last year that went to places CDC advises shots for, we had hepatitis shots and polio booster. Turns out the health department recommended the polio booster for seniors and suggests the hep shots. After seeing the Carnival ship disaster, it seemed to me that having hep shots is a good idea, and outbreaks occur from public places other than cruise ships, too.

All this and I seem to catch an airborne bug whenever I fly or cruise....and I bring Clorox wipes to clean the airplane tray, cabin remote, doors, etc. Airborne gets me and I don't know how to prevent this.

We had dinner the other night with friends who are both microbiologists and discussed this thread. Even if one received the immunization last fall for the current strain, the effects of that vaccine today would be minimal at best. In addition to getting their shots in the fall, they typically get a duplicate immunization in Jan-Feb. They feel that the effect of that original shot has worn off enough by even then to warrant another.

That is so interesting. I wonder why the efficacy of the vaccine is so short lived? It's only a handful of months it offers protection.

As I commute on public transit, I've stuck with that rule for many years. I never touch a handrail, and always use my elbow to hit the elevator button. It's a good habit to have.