Lobster Tails Apparently Gone on NCL

MATHA531

Since you asked again, I'll answer again. No one is cruising just for lobster. The lobster is (was) a nice elegant touch that was one of the attractions that brought people to cruising instead of other types of vacations. Every time a cruise line cuts one of those types of things that makes a cruise more special than other types of vacations, they become more and more like those other types of vacations and therefore have less of an edge over the others.

Look at it from a different point of view. You probably don't care for lobster or it's a common ingredient to you so the loss of this particular item is a moot point to you. But lets say you like to drink on vacation and NCL decided not to sell or allow alcohol on board anymore (yeah, I know it's a money maker and lobster is not but that isn't the point). To me, I couldn't care less and would still have a wonderful cruise because I don't care about drinking and would probably enjoy my cruise more because there would be no drunks around me now. Others would be slightly irritated. Some would say "No more alcohol? Goodbye NCL!!!". And yet the ability to drink is only ONE aspect of a cruise............just like lobster.

If complaining on this board won't change things, why are you complaining about other's complaints? Do you expect to change things on this board with your complaints?? ;)

The thing is, I'm not addressing that reply to you.

Then complain directly to the cruise company's management... putting it here will just be read more by fellow cruisers like us than the ship's management team...

It's addressing a complaint to the wrong audience as we cannot do anything about it as well.

Take it directly to management, then at least there is a slim chance that problem might be corrected.

There are comment cards all over the ship for us to complain that will take it to the right audience who can do something about it.

I do like lobsters, that's the reason why I got the UDP for 14 nights just to have it everyday and cooked in different styles.... but I still cruise even without it. I have already resigned to not having lobster on my next cruise with RCCL's Voyager of the Seas in 3 weeks...no way I'm going to pay $35 to order it.

Of course I'm not happy, but it been that way for quite some time for Asia cruises, but it won't stop me from cruising as there are still other aspects to focus to.

Edited by roquejo

The thing is, I'm not addressing that reply to you.

Then complain directly to the cruise company's management... putting it here will just be read more by fellow cruisers like us than the ship's management team...

It's addressing a complaint to the wrong audience as we cannot do anything about it as well.

Take it directly to management, then at least there is a slim chance that problem might be corrected.

There are comment cards all over the ship for us to complain that will take it to the right audience who can do something about it.

I do like lobsters, that's the reason why I got the UDP for 14 nights just to have it everyday and cooked in different styles.... but I still cruise even without it. I have already resigned to not having lobster on my next cruise with RCCL's Voyager of the Seas in 3 weeks...no way I'm going to pay $35 to order it.

Of course I'm not happy, but it been that way for quite some time for Asia cruises, but it won't stop me from cruising as there are still other aspects to focus to.

You addressed your reply to everyone in this thread and I am one of those folks so the reply was meant for me as it was for everyone else. :rolleyes:

Almost every single complaint addressed in any thread is done with the expectation of not changing anything but to just let off steam. The same applies to this thread and people have a right to do so if they choose. You have a right to not read it, read it and not respond, or read it and respond.

Someone complaining about no lobster anymore is just as valid as you complaining that people are not complaining to the right person.

Edited by Out to sea!

Then I'll ask again what everyone else is asking in most of the replies: why cruise for lobster? Or make it make or break your cruise?

There are more aspects to cruising than just lobster..

Perhaps they are just running out of stocks at that time so they are prioritizing those specialty restaurants first..

Before hitting NCL, compare it first with other cruise lines like RCCL.. I cruise more than one lines so I can compare the food... nothing is preventing you from trying other lines..

Just simply move to another line instead of whinning...

If food is such a big deal for you, then get the UDP if you take NCL than ruin your entire cruise. At least NCL is providing an option for unlimited specialty dining that other cruise lines don't...

Or get a cruise line that is known and emphasizes on good food like Celebrity or HAL for example. (but somehow even if HAL has more budget for food, I still find the lobster on the Sun better, and even better than the one's I've had on Allure.. both RCCL and HAL's lobster were tasteless but Sun's lobster in the MDR last month are flavorful)

These the things that you can control, so take action as complaining on this board won't change things..

I hope we can sort of end this right now and here. I think your reply is a tad too harsh. Yes I complained and followed up several times. But I also pointed out I guess I was just unlucky this summer with 3 cruises about a week or two after lobster was discontinued.

I also made a point that in many respects, as much as there are things I don't like about NCL as compared say to HAL and Carnival, because of where I'm located I'm sort of stuck with them to a degree (note to a degree not etched in stone). I also hate NCL because they serve pepsi products and not coke products (which according to google more people who care, and I agree many don't, prefer).

But my original purpose for being the OP on this thread was to sort of inform people what was going on and also am still hoping some suit at NCL reads this thing and can explain why this was done.

And just to finish, part of my beef is to try to bamboozle us with what I consider an inedible dish called lobster pasta (I noticed on my third cruise although there was a sign saying lobster pasta another sign said seafood pasta) as lobster when I asked the hotel manager when lobster night would be.

Does that mean I will stop using NCL? Probably not. Butg as I try to tell people on these message boards, none of this is life or death and there is no need to be nasty to anybody with a differing view. I always try, if I disagree with somebody in all my posts, to do it with a sense of humor.

Nothing in a thread like this should ever turn out to be personal. Anger is directed at the suits who, at least in my opinion in this matter, have shown contempt for their clients.

Now I hope this is the end of it and if we disagree, that's fine. But please, the tone need not be nasty.

Ok then, next time you sail NCL, my advice: please get the Ultimate Dining Package, try it at least once..

I don't usually recommend this to all people as different strokes for different folks, but for people like us who placed a lot of emphasis on food and especially lobsters.. it is $119 well spent for 7 days. I've spent $224 for 14 days and I never regret it.

You can actually hop from one resto to another in one night and order another meal of lobster cooked in a different way.. and the teppanyaki chef, on my experience with the Sun will always ask you if you want more after the initial serving and they will cook it for you very quickly...and you can ask for more lobsters.

Trust me, you will walk off of the ship very happy at the end of the cruise.

Edited by roquejo

Metaphorically speaking, I like to call this the “back seat syndrome”. You order your car and when it’s delivered, there is no back seat. You ask the dealer, “where’s the back seat”, and they tell you didn’t order one. My assumption is that the car would come with one….they always have. What would make me think I have to order (and pay for) it separately???

If the assumption is that lobster has always been served, then any potential passenger might expect it. And when it’s not served, you think something fishy (no pun intended) is going on. Does NCL advertise lobster? I personally haven’t it seen it other than as an extra charge item.

I understand why someone might expect it (if it’s always been a staple on the menu) but if NCL does not actively promote free lobster, then are you really being taken advantage of?

My own personal opinion is that if someone is prepared to spend thousands of dollars on a cruise, adding a (relatively) small fee to get a lobster tail is not a big deal. I’ve said this before (and I can imagine many would disagree), but I’d rather see NCL bump the cost of the cruise up by $150 and provide high quality food in all venues all the time. I believe that dining makes up a significant portion on the cruising experience so I don’t mind paying a bit more to upscale the quality, and consistency. But that’s just me.

Once upon a time, long long ago, there was an outfit called 47th Street Photo in NYC. Advertised in all the photo magazines as well as the NY Times with great prices. Also open on Sundays so it was easy to go there are park on the street right by the place Sunday morning.

I was trying to buy a Minolta camera. So I brought in the ad and they said, oh you don't want that camera as it is grey market. You want the one with the US warranty, an extra $35. Okay. So I decided to splurge for the $35 and then the sales person showed me the camera and said well you have to pay an extra $10 for a lens cap (now all cameras come with a lens cap).

It's called bait and switch.

Once upon a time, long long ago, there was an outfit called 47th Street Photo in NYC. Advertised in all the photo magazines as well as the NY Times with great prices. Also open on Sundays so it was easy to go there are park on the street right by the place Sunday morning.

I was trying to buy a Minolta camera. So I brought in the ad and they said, oh you don't want that camera as it is grey market. You want the one with the US warranty, an extra $35. Okay. So I decided to splurge for the $35 and then the sales person showed me the camera and said well you have to pay an extra $10 for a lens cap (now all cameras come with a lens cap).

It's called bait and switch.

It could be called gullible and fell-for-it. As soon as they told you they are selling black market cameras, it's time to leave. Doesn't matter what the alternatives are.

I guess what you are implying is that NCL "lead" you to believe they would have lobster and when you got on board, you had to pay extra for it. As I mentioned, I haven't seen it stated that lobster is free. Can you please direct me to where this is in the NCL literature (or on their web site). I would like to see it for myself.

It could be called gullible and fell-for-it. As soon as they told you they are selling black market cameras, it's time to leave. Doesn't matter what the alternatives are.

I guess what you are implying is that NCL "lead" you to believe they would have lobster and when you got on board, you had to pay extra for it. As I mentioned, I haven't seen it stated that lobster is free. Can you please direct me to where this is in the NCL literature (or on their web site). I would like to see it for myself.

Not really implying anything. Just giving the tactic a name in answer to the previous post. Did not say NCL pulls that.

Incidentally, about 25 years ago,k it was very common for many of the camera stores in NYC to sell grey(not balck) market cameras. All that meant was the camera was indeed made by the same company that made the US model but was made for sales somewhere else say South America. That was the way these stores kept prices so cheap and thousands of people shopped at these stores then. Just mention buying a camera, go to Modern Photo, see the ads and purchase the camera (exempt from NY sales tax if shipped out of NY). They were the Amazon.com of that era but they did pull stuff like the trick with the lens cap.

Again I was not implying anything about NCL just giving a name to what was described by the previous post.

My own personal opinion is that if someone is prepared to spend thousands of dollars on a cruise, adding a (relatively) small fee to get a lobster tail is not a big deal. I’ve said this before (and I can imagine many would disagree), but I’d rather see NCL bump the cost of the cruise up by $150 and provide high quality food in all venues all the time. I believe that dining makes up a significant portion on the cruising experience so I don’t mind paying a bit more to upscale the quality, and consistency. But that’s just me.

NCL just did that with the ultimate dining package... not $150 but for just $119 for a 7 day cruise, you get higher quality food like Wagyu Burger, Angus Beef, and lobsters any given night.

This is more fair than bumping up the cruise fare by $150 as this will affect everyone.. at least here NCL gave everyone a choice.

As far as I know, it is the only cruise line that has this package... how I wish that RCCL also has this kind of package.

As for the higher cruise fare but better food, the upper middle cruise lines.. Celebrity and HAL. Did just that. Their fare is generally higher, but they have better food quality. If you want more, there are luxury liners like SilverSea, Azamara etc that are all inclusive.

NCL, Princess, RCCL are mainstream mass market cruise lines.. generally, they are cheaper, so don't expect their food to be exceptional as they are not really known for that.

Edited by roquejo

NCL just did that with the ultimate dining package... not $150 but for just $119 for a 7 day cruise, you get higher quality food like Wagyu Burger, Angus Beef, and lobsters any given night.

This is more fair than bumping up the cruise fare by $150 as this will affect everyone.. at least here NCL gave everyone a choice.

As far as I know, it is the only cruise line that has this package... how I wish that RCCL also has this kind of package.

As for the higher cruise fare but better food, the upper middle cruise lines.. Celebrity and HAL. Did just that. Their fare is generally higher, but they have better food quality. If you want more, there are luxury liners like SilverSea, Azamara etc that are all inclusive.

NCL, Princess, RCCL are mainstream mass market cruise lines.. generally, they are cheaper, so don't expect their food to be exceptional as they are not really known for that.

I wouldn’t say the UDP is equivalent to better quality and consistent food in all venues, all the time. Although it may be a move in the right direction, it’s not the answer. I prefer the Specialty Restaurants because my “general” experience has been that the quality and service is better but not consistently. In fact on our last NCL cruise we found quality to be inversely proportional to price, ie, Cagneys which is the most expensive and arguably should be the best, was the worst and definitely not on par with what I would expect, especially when paying an additional $30. This is not a complaint but rather a reason for suggesting a higher cruise fare for better quality. I must say that I have always had excellent experiences with the Jazz Brunch.

The UDP is intended for dinner only and cannot be used for in cabin/suite dining so it has limited usefulness. My preference is to see “all” venues, any time of day producing higher quality, food. For that I’m prepared to pay more. To me $150 (just an example) is a small percentage of a $2K cruise.

Regarding the quality on other lines, I can’t comment on HAL but I wouldn’t say Celebrity is all that much better, if at all. My last cruise with them was inconsistent. We ate at the Captains Table one night and the food and service was good but I think the circumstance are what dictated that. The Specialty Restaurant QSine, was phenomenal but everything else on board was just average.

I agree that the luxury lines are the way to high quality food. However they tend to be more laid back, with limited on board activities. Their ships are smaller and the passengers tend to be older. This is fine but not for everyone. Personally, my preference is for a suite and I like the way NCL does their suites. I’d just like the food to be better and consistent across the board and if they raised the price to achieve that, I’d be ok. If they don’t, I’ll still sail with them but give my opinion on CC every once in a while. And if they say they will serve lobster, then they should serve lobster. ;)

Look at any MDR menu, night 1, for the past umpteen years. Lobster in a free dining room (no upcharge restaurant required).

NCL doesn't require the New York invention, a tuxedo anymore.

So what the heck no more tails either.

Did you all know whey the retail as well wholesale price of N. American Lobster is the lowest since colonial times when they used to just throw them away?

Simply put. Supply and Demand. Since many had jacked up the price for Quality Maine Lobster the public stopped eating it.

Now with a large overabundance youall see why the price tanked.

With NCL everyone should call, write, FAX them and your Travel Agencies now. :cool:

Look at any MDR menu, night 1, for the past umpteen years. Lobster in a free dining room (no upcharge restaurant required).

So what you're saying is that on the MDR menu, day 1, lobster is offered as an entre' (or similar). Then someone orders the lobster and the server says we don't serve lobster any longer. I doubt that.

What I'm trying to find out, is it advertised in any corporate documentation which says they offer lobster on every sailing (directly or implied). If it is on the menu, then they should absolutely have it and offer it. If it "used" to be on the menu and no longer is, they aren't advertising it and they aren't obligated to offer it. Unless of course in some other NCL literature it is stated otherwise.

You can't go by what used to be. I just want to know if they "currently" advertise it. I haven't seen it but maybe I missed it. I have a cruise coming up in a few weeks. I will look on the menu and ask for it if it's there. I'll let you know what the response is.

Edited by galleycook

We sailed on the Getaway the first week of August, and we ate a ton of lobster tails in the buffet! They were served the second night at multiple serving stations. At first, there were lines when the buffet first opened, but almost no lines by 6:30. The servers only put 3 1/2 tails on your plate, but gladly put more on if you ask them to. I went back multiple time 'till I was stuffed!

So what you're saying is that on the MDR menu, day 1, lobster is offered as an entre' (or similar). Then someone orders the lobster and the server says we don't serve lobster any longer. I doubt that.

What I'm trying to find out, is it advertised in any corporate documentation which says they offer lobster on every sailing (directly or implied). If it is on the menu, then they should absolutely have it and offer it. If it "used" to be on the menu and no longer is, they aren't advertising it and they aren't obligated to offer it. Unless of course in some other NCL literature it is stated otherwise.

You can't go by what used to be. I just want to know if they "currently" advertise it. I haven't seen it but maybe I missed it. I have a cruise coming up in a few weeks. I will look on the menu and ask for it if it's there. I'll let you know what the response is.

No, I'm saying they had it as a free entree for ages and that's why people still expect to be able to have it as a free entree. Their past history is their advertising that you said hasn't happened. Their menu for Lord knows how long was the literature.

There is no literature on what they serve in the MDR on NCL (at least I have ever seen) so I guess by your line of thought, we can go in and only get a glass of water and shouldn't be upset. :rolleyes:

...or you can have the experience I had on the Star at the beginning of June. At the meet and greet on the first sea day of the cruise (the cruise left Copenhagen on Friday and Sagturday was Berlin day so it was Sunday morning) knowing what was going on to a degree, I asked the hotel director or it might have been the food director when is losbster night. He said Tuesday (or it could have been Monday, I forget now). In any event, that day in the daily was big blurb tonight is Seafood Buffet night in the buffet with a picture of all sorts of sea food which included a lobster tail. The queues at the buffet that night were long!. Went through the line and the carving station had some sort of fish. Some sort of chowder was one of the soups. Shrimp cocktail? No. Anyway where't the lobster I asked. I was directed to the end of the line where this disgusting lobster pasta with all its carbos was being served. So they could answer yes there was lobster; just not enough to actually taste it.

They know what they're doing and besides all the other negative comments here (and the comments have been split more or less 50-50, that to me was perhaps as disgusting as the decision to drop the lobster. They know what they're doing. It's, at least to me, just contempt for the passengers. Like I said, just come out for pete's sake, and explain why this was done and stop trying to deceive the customers.

We are all set for our 17-day sailing on Oct 3rd on the Pearl. We have budgeted for two visits to Cagney's, where we will have lobster and their outstanding hot-dog sized shrimps in their shrimp cocktail. So we're set and cannot wait to go!

No, I'm saying they had it as a free entree for ages and that's why people still expect to be able to have it as a free entree. Their past history is their advertising that you said hasn't happened. Their menu for Lord knows how long was the literature.

There is no literature on what they serve in the MDR on NCL (at least I have ever seen) so I guess by your line of thought, we can go in and only get a glass of water and shouldn't be upset. :rolleyes:

Lets not get ridiculous. If they advertise something, then they should provide it. If they don't, then they're not obligated to. If they provide lobster without advertising that it will be offered, that's a bonus. That's it, a bonus. Anyone who gets it should just consider themselves lucky. The fact that they used to is no longer valid.

I guess by your line of thought, we should be able to buy gas for 60 cents a gallon because that what it used to be for umpteen years. :rolleyes:

60¢ a gallon? I remember buying gas for 29.9¢ a gallon.

Actually, I have the solution to all of our problems and to the drug lords and criminals hoarding $100 bills.n The currency should be 43-issued with a new dollar. Each new dollar would be worth 10 old dollars to makie the conversion easy. People would be given six months to turn in old currency and coins.

Then prices would nben corredt. A good steak dinner would be $3. A slice of pizza would bed 20 cents. An expensive house would cost $20,000.

What a sonderful world it would be.

We are all set for our 17-day sailing on Oct 3rd on the Pearl. We have budgeted for two visits to Cagney's, where we will have lobster and their outstanding hot-dog sized shrimps in their shrimp cocktail. So we're set and cannot wait to go!

No more colossal shrimp cocktail at Cagney's since the new menu, just shrimp cocktails.. it is still prawns, but no longer hot dog sized.

Dear Ewoodspark,

As in the Diamond they made from marketing it worth a lot more than it was.:cool:

Maine is regulated in thye amount of Lobstermen allowed.

What is the fascination with lobster tails? Are they are delicacy in USA?

Lets not get ridiculous. If they advertise something, then they should provide it. If they don't, then they're not obligated to. If they provide lobster without advertising that it will be offered, that's a bonus. That's it, a bonus. Anyone who gets it should just consider themselves lucky. The fact that they used to is no longer valid.

I guess by your line of thought, we should be able to buy gas for 60 cents a gallon because that what it used to be for umpteen years. :rolleyes:

I agree, lets not get ridiculous. If I want to cruise for lobster, then I'll bloody well cruise for lobster. If I want to complain here because they no longer have lobster, then I'll bloody well complain about it. You don't have a right to brow beat me or anyone else for those decisions. Pretty much the end of that discussion.

Edited by Out to sea!

No longer super sized shrimp, and less per order than in the past....and no lobster.....only lobster linguine dish. Sorry to say....look for new menu

Safe sailing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app