Lobster Tails Apparently Gone on NCL

MATHA531

What other conclusion can you reach? Isn't it obvious that as ships go through their supplies of lobster tails, this inedible pasta is being imposed on them? I don't see how you can reach any other conclusion.

If they knew in early June, as you reported, that lobster tails would no longer be served when they exhausted current supplies then, since some ships are still serving them, they must have had a huge supply on hand.

Edited by emcelh

There is no love in the food preparation or presentation on NCL and trying to get things like a peppermill or actual oil and vinigar instead of sweet ready made salad dressing, can be very difficult at times. I'd rather do without the lobster tails if it meant that the NCL chefs concentrate on improving the staples and menus on a daily basis.

So why do I cruise with them? I enjoy the freestyle concept that NCL offers and the general relaxed attitude of the people that cruise with them. Port day's are generally long and the intineries often attract me more than other lines. Plus I don't have to worry about packing clothes for every occasion and worrying being charged for overweight luggage on the smaller in-land flights that only allow 20 kilo's.

I suppose living in a land-locked country has prepared me for a lobster free existence and I make the most of seafood shacks and restaurants, where you can see that the food is cooked from fresh produce on my shore day's. However I do understand that for people who are used to this treat on their cruise, it's a sign of cost cutting and down right scrimping.

The only way that the food situation will be improved is by all of us cruisers being vocal with our critic and voting with our wallets by cruising with other lines until things improve.

I'm still looking forward to my trip of a lifetime to"Alaska" and won't have to worry about over eating!

Still available in Le Bistro and as a choice at Teppanyaki. Not sure about Cagney's. I seem to remember looking at a menu and not seeing them but I wouldn't swear to that.

Yes, lobster tails are still available at Cagney's as well -- either by themselves, or for surf and turf for $10. (there was also a lobster option at LeBistro).

Just off the Breakaway and I had the Bison steak (awesome), and had it with a tail -- should have forgone the tail -- I'm too spoiled with fresh Maine lobster and frozen tails aren't my thing. But still a good meal overall.

There is FRESH lobster available at Ocean Blue that are kept live in a separate tank -- all specialty restaurants have their own kitchens (except Teppanyaki -- no need there per se).

I'm curious as to what makes the pasta dish "inedible"?

Well if you're on a low carbo diet, then it is inedible.

Actually it was my opinion and of course others might disagree. Again, while I have seem to have made a big deal over it, to substitute a pasta with a few slivers of lobster and believe me, there were very very few pieces of lobster, well to me that is inedible as a main dish for what is supposedly a seafood buffet with lobster. Sort of false advertising, don't you think?

Of course, I had read about it here as well as having had personal experience with this new "innovation" because I cruised on the Star in early June.

I understand to some people, even maybe many people, it's no big deal but over the years, all the cruise lines have made a big deal about "lobster" night as one of the treats of the cruise; whether it should be that way or not is obviously a matter of opinion and we can go through the whole well you don't cruise for the food bit and again I respect the opinion of others on this. I disagree but I will defend to the death one's right to disagree. But seriously, for example Carnival which is hardly a high end cruise line, still has "lobster" night (which is also formal dress up night and even a slob like myself brings along a blue oxford button down shirt to wear with my jeans on formal night so I can get the lobster and my experience with HAL was the night that was lobster night in the mdr was also lobster night in the buffet and on the last day of the cruise, at lunch in the buffet, there was plenty of lobster. It's something people have come to expect.

Sorry, as I said if you disagree, but to my way of thinking this was almost contempt on the part of ncl to its passengers Just say sorry if you want lobster, go to the specialty restaurants. Don't try to pass of a pasta dish with a few lobster slivers in it as part of "lobster" night as the hotel director claimed to me when I asked.

Well if you're on a low carbo diet, then it is inedible.

Actually it was my opinion and of course others might disagree. Again, while I have seem to have made a big deal over it, to substitute a pasta with a few slivers of lobster and believe me, there were very very few pieces of lobster, well to me that is inedible as a main dish for what is supposedly a seafood buffet with lobster. Sort of false advertising, don't you think?

Of course, I had read about it here as well as having had personal experience with this new "innovation" because I cruised on the Star in early June.

I understand to some people, even maybe many people, it's no big deal but over the years, all the cruise lines have made a big deal about "lobster" night as one of the treats of the cruise; whether it should be that way or not is obviously a matter of opinion and we can go through the whole well you don't cruise for the food bit and again I respect the opinion of others on this. I disagree but I will defend to the death one's right to disagree. But seriously, for example Carnival which is hardly a high end cruise line, still has "lobster" night (which is also formal dress up night and even a slob like myself brings along a blue oxford button down shirt to wear with my jeans on formal night so I can get the lobster and my experience with HAL was the night that was lobster night in the mdr was also lobster night in the buffet and on the last day of the cruise, at lunch in the buffet, there was plenty of lobster. It's something people have come to expect.

Sorry, as I said if you disagree, but to my way of thinking this was almost contempt on the part of ncl to its passengers Just say sorry if you want lobster, go to the specialty restaurants. Don't try to pass of a pasta dish with a few lobster slivers in it as part of "lobster" night as the hotel director claimed to me when I asked.

I agree with you! It is a BIG deal! Even though we have had some not so good lobster on other cruise lines on Lobster Night, we've had some pretty decent ones, also. The cruise lines have made it a big deal. On other cruises we've been on it was served on Formal Night. DH also enjoys the escargot, but I don't. I'm sure if steak was taken off the menu there would be many that wouldn't be happy! Lobster is one of those things that are expected on a cruise!

Well, I love having the lobster night. Like some people say, it's a treat. I understand that the company is trying to keep cost down but when you are spending over a grand a person to cruise, I feel like I'm pretty much paying for it anyway. My grocery bill at home is far from that amount a week, and in cramped quarters too. Is that going to stop me from cruising? No. But I do like to get more for my money. Do I cruise for the food? I cruise for the ports, but I like the food to be good when I'm on a ship for days on end. The food is part of the whole cruising experience. I hope the other cruise lines don't follow NCL on this. I'd be disappointed.

Edited by Siora7777

I'm guessing that this is being proven as fact - mainly since no one representing NCL has dropped in here to "deny" the statement that the lobster is gone.

Seems to me that if it was not true NCL would be saying as much! I have seen NCL drop in on the threads to offer assistance or set the record straight when misinformation abounds. Neither of which have happened in this case. :o

I'm curious if NCL advertises anywhere on their site that they serve lobster.. If not, then it shouldn't be expected right?

Two things. They put in the daily on 2 ships where this has taken place that I have been on the past month and a half that such and such a night is seafood buffet and a picture of a whole bunch of sea food dishes including shrimp cocktails and lobster tails. And when I asked the officer in charge on both occasions based on what I had been reading at the meet and greet, I was told specifically that such and such a night was "lobster" night. Of course, they didn't lie. They served an almost inedible pasta with a few slivers of lobster in them. That's certainly deceptive, wouldn't you agree?

Two things. They put in the daily on 2 ships where this has taken place that I have been on the past month and a half that such and such a night is seafood buffet and a picture of a whole bunch of sea food dishes including shrimp cocktails and lobster tails. And when I asked the officer in charge on both occasions based on what I had been reading at the meet and greet, I was told specifically that such and such a night was "lobster" night. Of course, they didn't lie. They served an almost inedible pasta with a few slivers of lobster in them. That's certainly deceptive, wouldn't you agree?

To be honest, if there were a few slivers of lobster tails, then they served lobster. You can't expect whole lobster tails based off a picture in one of the dailies. I wouldn't call it deceptive since when did a McD's burger look like what they show on TV? As long as it has the patty and condiments advertised, I got what I wanted. If the officer said it was whole lobster tail night and you got pasta and slivered tails, then yes, that's deceptive but if they advertised seafood and you got it in bits and pieces, then you got exactly what they offered.

Don't get me wrong, I love my lobster tails, in fact, there is a buffet in NJ where it's all you can eat lobster tails for ~$55, but unless I see "whole lobster tail" offerings on any NCL brochure/site, I can't be mad at NCL at what they're giving to us.

People have complained since the beginning of my time on CC that the "lobster night" was a joke. Especially the folks from the NE part of the USA where they get the really, really good lobster.

Folks said that it wasn't a treat, that they wouldn't even order it, etc.

And now that they've apparently done away with "lobster night" in the main dining rooms, folks are unhappy with that too.

We can't please everyone, and I'm sure NCL, after having done a lot of research and thinking about it, has decided that this is the best route to take.

Some won't care, others will be happy and others will be upset. For myself, I liked lobster night, but it didn't make my cruise and it certainly won't break it since it's not there anymore.

Not serving lobster will not deter me from sailing with NCL. However having said that, I will say that I am a lobster fan. Even if its crappy Mexican crawdad tiny lobster, I'll eat it. We don't eat out much so about the only time I have the luxury of having lobster is when I'm cruising. It was always one treat that I looked forward too. I have not heard about lobster being discontinued on any of the other main lines, so I am not sure why NCL feels that this is an area where they need to shave costs.

Oh well, guess I'll pay a little extra and get it at Cagneys.

We're planning on sailing on the Gem late Oct. I think I read that at one of the specialty rest. that lobster tail is $10. more then the $20. charge. If NCL is eliminating lobster from the MDR menu, it would be nice if they would take the $10. extra off. I guess this won't happen!

Hello,

I'm booked on the NCL Epic Jan4 2015 and was able to get a response from NCL that they are still serving lobster tails in the complimentary dining venues. I guess it might just vary from ship to ship and itineraries

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are leaving on the Getaway on this Sat. 7/19. We have the UDP but I will check out the buffet on "lobster" night and see what's cooking! If anything good I will try to sample, depends on lines. Either way I will report back here on the thread about Getaway and lobster.

Mary Ann

Edited by UFMOM

Is the dish called lobster and pasta or is it called a seafood pasta? If it is seafood pasta, what other seafood is in the pasta?

Is the dish called lobster and pasta or is it called a seafood pasta? If it is seafood pasta, what other seafood is in the pasta?

It's called lobster pasta. As I remember, there was some salmon available.

I received a welcome email July 15 which included this statement: SCRUMPTIOUS LOBSTER IN THE MAIN DINING ROOM, NO BIB REQUIRED. Please tell me they're not referring to lobster pasta! That's very misleading!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I received a welcome email July 15 which included this statement: SCRUMPTIOUS LOBSTER IN THE MAIN DINING ROOM, NO BIB REQUIRED. Please tell me they're not referring to lobster pasta! That's very misleading!

That certainly seems to be at least somewhat out of date! :rolleyes:

For quite a while there have been posts about the tails being on the buffet and no longer in the MDR and now we hear they are gone even from the buffet on at least some ships! :cool:

Years ago, on our first cruise, the maître d' told us "fine" us what your meal is when you go out to eat at home. We expect your meals here to be fantastic, incredible, magnificent! We have found that to be the case in the MDRs. I hope we don't find our meals on the Getaway to be fine.

Disappointed is an understatement for me about this issue. I took the liberty of sending a message to Kevin Sheehan expressing my disappointment. The contents of the letter are listed below. I will let you know if they decide to "grace me with their presence" to respond.

I am writing to inquire about lobster night aboard your fleet. I just finished reading numerous pages of complaints from cruise critic claiming that lobster tails have disappeared from the menu in June. I am hoping to clarify as to whether or not this is in fact true. If lobster tails were removed as an effort to reduce costs, then I would like to make you aware that I am very disappointed. As someone that does not get to eat lobster on a regular basis, lobster night is a real treat and it affects the overall cruise experience probably more than what is realized. If they really have been eliminated from the main dining room please bring them back. Thank you for taking the time to read my concern.