Lobster Tails Apparently Gone on NCL

MATHA531

I read on the review of people who were taking 5 or more in the buffet and certainly understand why NCL would stop serving them.

On my cruise, the lobster tail pieces were each the size of my pinky finger. I don't want people to think that taking 5 is pigging out or anything. You could put 5 together and it would be about the same amount of lobster as in a good bowl of bisque.

Sid, do you really think Kevin Sheehan had any part of answering your question, or even read/approved the answer you got?

Chances are reasonably good that this decision was made with at a lower level with at most minimal mention at a staff meeting.

CEOs of major corporations don't normally keep abreast/ get involved with minor changes. It's known as delegation of authority.

By the way, the CEO of GM apparently (according to an independent report) didn't know their ignition switches were responsible for numerous accidents resulting in death or injury because the problem was hidden from her by staffers down the line. She found out when it became a big story. Maybe Sheehan will find out if enough people complain.

You know we have had this exact discussion on whether the CEO reads the emails before. As I said to you last time, I expect that he has one of his executive asst read all his emails. Sometimes the CEO will read them at random sometimes they will read some of the ones that are either forwarded or the exec asst prints out and puts in his daily folder. Sometimes they just forward them for a response by someone else. As I told you last time when there was a different CEO I knew for a fact that he read some of them...

the GM issue is different. this was a technical issue which the attorneys made sure wasn't communicated...but I bet they wish they did now...

Hmmmmm....interesting turn of events. Just had lobster tails on the Breakaway about 2 weeks ago. They were nicely sized and tasty, too.

Could this be an issue dependent on where the ship ports, and in turn the availability of lobster tails in port?

Hmmmmm....interesting turn of events. Just had lobster tails on the Breakaway about 2 weeks ago. They were nicely sized and tasty, too.

Could this be an issue dependent on where the ship ports, and in turn the availability of lobster tails in port?

My group went to the Garden Cafe for the lobster night on our June 8th cruise they all loved it. No complaints they said it was very good.

The review that led me to start this thread stated that the 22 June departure of the Breakaway was the first without the lobster tails; ;you were probably on the 15 June departure I would suppose.

The Breakaway currently is running round trip between its home port in NYC and Bermuda on a 7 day cycle and somehow I doubt there would be a problem stocking up on lobster tails in New York.

Again I think the stupid policy is being phased in as ships deplete their supplies of lobster tails and it does seem this is a fleet wide thing; I would be very surprised if it weren't. Like I could get it that the Star, running Baltic cruises every 9 days round trip from Copenhagen might have difficulties stocking up but not the Breakaway. At least that's what common sense tells me.

As long as NCL keeps the bacon coming I'm just fine. Have wondered when watching the crowds if a few "Lobster Police" might be a good idea:)

Kind of depends on the bacon and how it's cooked...;)

Edited by SteveH2508

Only if you want more than a normal serving of lobster.

Guy is driving down a road in Maine and sees a sign "All You Can Eat Lobster $12.95 1 mile ahead". He pulls up the restaurant and rushes in. The waitress takes his order and brings him his lobster (whole) which he quickly packs away. She asks if he'd like anything else- "Yes, I'd like another lobster please." "You can't have another." "But the sign said 'all you can eat lobster $12.95.'" "Yes, that is correct- one lobster is all you can eat for $12.95".

I've said it before and I'll say it again. "Nickel and diming" is a term used by people who a) didn't do their research on the cruise line, b) people who have dust and moths flying out of their wallets and c) forum trolls.

Signed lovingly, Ignorant Mass.

Post of the month!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. it probably was crawfish- African hard frozen crawfish tails...

2. I must tell you I am disappointed in NCL about this. People travel because they look forward to being pampered. One of the pampering was the "lobster" tails. NCL buys these in bulk. They don't cost more than a few bucks per passenger. They will spend millions on "cruise like a Norwegian" but then cut into the experience for many. Yes I know that a lot of people don't care but many do. I for one am going to write the CEO...I suggest those that are disappointed do so too...Kevin Sheehan <ksheehan@ncl.com>;

Cruising USED to be a pampering and luxurious vacation. Air travel also was. People used to dress up to fly. Cruises used to be elegant. Somehow I find it incredibly funny the same people who want lobster want to eat it in wifebeaters and flip flops.

Cruising has CHANGED. It is for everyone. I compare prices now with cruising for less than I did in 1986.

Look at the prices for lobster in any restaurant. From Red Lobster $ to Morton's $$$$. Pair this with gluttons who want to fill their stomachs to "get their money's worth". This is not pampering and I don't blame NCL one bit.

Guy is driving down a road in Maine and sees a sign "All You Can Eat Lobster $12.95 1 mile ahead". He pulls up the restaurant and rushes in. The waitress takes his order and brings him his lobster (whole) which he quickly packs away. She asks if he'd like anything else- "Yes, I'd like another lobster please." "You can't have another." "But the sign said 'all you can eat lobster $12.95.'" "Yes, that is correct- one lobster is all you can eat for $12.95".

That is very cute. I was watching the food channel one afternoon and it had the best "all you could eat buffets". One was somewhere east and had a seafood buffet. One man proudly said that he ate over 20 lobsters (they were whole and quite large) in one sitting. Unbelievable. Wonder how many he would have eaten if he had to pay for each one?

That is very cute. I was watching the food channel one afternoon and it had the best "all you could eat buffets". One was somewhere east and had a seafood buffet. One man proudly said that he ate over 20 lobsters (they were whole and quite large) in one sitting. Unbelievable. Wonder how many he would have eaten if he had to pay for each one?

Oh my gosh that is just over the top!

maybe all these complainers don't know where to look. Yes goen from main dining room but piled up high in garden Café

Plenty of shrimp and Lobster on Getaway. Just returned

Nope. Lobster tails were gone on the Breakaway this sailing BUT the pub crawl was back. WIN!

There is a place in Rhode Island that is an all you can eat buffet. Currently the price is $91.00 per adult. There is a 2 hour time limit. They also have prime rib on the buffet along with tons of other stuff. They even offer dessert. Can't even imagine that.

You know we have had this exact discussion on whether the CEO reads the emails before. As I said to you last time, I expect that he has one of his executive asst read all his emails. Sometimes the CEO will read them at random sometimes they will read some of the ones that are either forwarded or the exec asst prints out and puts in his daily folder. Sometimes they just forward them for a response by someone else. As I told you last time when there was a different CEO I knew for a fact that he read some of them...

the GM issue is different. this was a technical issue which the attorneys made sure wasn't communicated...but I bet they wish they did now...

one more point about getting responses, I had a problem at the ultimate bureaucracy, the US post office. I called their "customer" service line and got the normal runaround. I looked up who the post master general was in DC, I guessed their email protocol and wrote the post master general.

BTW 489,727** — number of career employees

137,037** — number of non-career employees so they have over a half million employees. The next day I got a call from the Post master of Brooklyn...who resolved the problem and yes he told me he had gotten the email from the post master general in DC telling him to take care of the problem!

On my cruise, the lobster tail pieces were each the size of my pinky finger. I don't want people to think that taking 5 is pigging out or anything. You could put 5 together and it would be about the same amount of lobster as in a good bowl of bisque.

Yuppers. Zimomiller has a picture of his son with 2 plates of them -they look like large shrimps!

the picture can be found in Zimomiller's Getaway review.

Cruising USED to be a pampering and luxurious vacation. Air travel also was. People used to dress up to fly. Cruises used to be elegant. Somehow I find it incredibly funny the same people who want lobster want to eat it in wifebeaters and flip flops.

Cruising has CHANGED. It is for everyone. I compare prices now with cruising for less than I did in 1986.

Look at the prices for lobster in any restaurant. From Red Lobster $ to Morton's $$$$. Pair this with gluttons who want to fill their stomachs to "get their money's worth". This is not pampering and I don't blame NCL one bit.

Bravo!

I think this is a very interesting post. Perhaps I'm getting off topic, but I also took my first cruise in 1987 and have had a love for the industry ever since.

In 1987 I paid $799.00 to sail in an outside cabin on a 23,000 GT ship. There were no such things as balconies back then. I could sail on a 123,000 GT ship in an outside for the roughly the same price today. Considering inflation, embarkation cruise prices have actually reduced over the last 30 years.

With the overall cabin price reduction; most cruise lines (not just NCL) have introduced multiple quality cuts to ensure revenue. Cruising IS DIFFERENT and includes MUCH LESS than it did 25 years ago. Fact.

Cruising is big business. Always has been, always will be. NCL reported a 26% profit gain first quarter of 2014 compared to 2013. Shareholders rejoice; but I reserve the right to be a little bummed I'll miss out on the 'rubbery', finger sized Caribbean rock lobster I have always looked forward too :).

Bummed enough to make me abandon cruising entirely? Not a chance :)

I think this is a very interesting post. Perhaps I'm getting off topic, but I also took my first cruise in 1987 and have had a love for the industry ever since.

In 1987 I paid $799.00 to sail in an outside cabin on a 23,000 GT ship. There were no such things as balconies back then. I could sail on a 123,000 GT ship in an outside for the roughly the same price today. Considering inflation, embarkation cruise prices have actually reduced over the last 30 years.

With the overall cabin price reduction; most cruise lines (not just NCL) have introduced multiple quality cuts to ensure revenue. Cruising IS DIFFERENT and includes MUCH LESS than it did 25 years ago. Fact.

Cruising is big business. Always has been, always will be. NCL reported a 26% profit gain first quarter of 2014 compared to 2013. Shareholders rejoice; but I reserve the right to be a little bummed I'll miss out on the 'rubbery', finger sized Caribbean rock lobster I have always looked forward too :).

Bummed enough to make me abandon cruising entirely? Not a chance :)

I think you are spot on the topic. I'm not sure I agree with the MUCH LESS statement.

If you account for inflation that $799 you paid in 1987 is worth over twice that in today's economy. So that oceanview becomes a balcony with UDP or maybe a UBP, etc... The experience is certainly different, but it is a fraction of the price, and many things are available as an add-on.