Lobster Tails Apparently Gone on NCL

MATHA531

OP, was the hotel director on the Star Tony Winkler? He would definitely tell you what was going on. Great guy and best HD we've ever sailed with.

No, he's on the Sun now :mad: I'll be back on the Star mid September and was sooooo looking forward to having him as HD again!

Harriet

You know I keep asking her the same thing: my guess; either she had never been on an NCL cruise or something happened that has made her very anti NCL. It seems her goad right now is to bash NCL!!!!!!

It's to keep others from cruising with NCL so the prices stay low and ships aren't too full (supply vs demand) - LMB has told several times that they cruise in Haven and/or regular suites because that is what NCL does best (or something along those lines).

Edited by Demonyte

I think the removal of lobster diminishes the sense of "value" that a consumer might feel. Not being from Maine, lobster is not an everyday item and is something of a treat. In restaurants here it is always the most expensive item on the menu and we don't order it that often. Our family is taking our first cruise in < 3 weeks. When deciding as a family where to spend our $ on our one big trip we look for value and everybody getting something they want. One of the "selling points" of a cruise to our 2 tweens boys was the ability to order anything off the menu everyday for the entire week. My youngest is a huge shellfish fan and he is (was:() very excited about the lobster. My oldest was excited about the water slide (that was removed from the Pearl after we booked). Is the lack of lobster or a slide going to ruin our trip? NO, I am sure we will have a wonderful trip. However, the removal of these items reduces the sense of value that I feel.

Not a deal breaker for me...Yes..I did enjoy them..when I had them onboard. ..a treat since I do not normally have them....but there are other entrees to choose and enjoy.

Edited by jaja

Just another example of how NCL is ripping everyone off. Can't understand why people continue to cruise with them. LOL

They are so bad that the ships continue to sail at near capacity. What are thinking about by continuing to build new ships?

The best thing about Lobster Night was watchng the gluttons compete to see how many they could eat and most never knowing what a "real" lobster tastes like.

So we can pretty safely say, NCL is its continued contempt for its passengers, has dropped lobster tails and substituted some absurd pasta dish with what may be lobster or may be something else. What a bummer.

DH and I, not being from New England, have always looked forward to lobster on our cruises so we will definitely miss it.

But NCL no longer serving it is not contempt for passengers. It is a budgeting measure to keep costs low so we can continue to afford cruises. Lobster for hundreds, now thousands, of passengers is very expensive.

I don't think NCL has contempt for its passengers.

Edited by NMLady

Oh the Horror:D

Having grown up in PA I'm lucky enough to know what a "Real" Lobster tail is like. I'm not sure where they get the lobsters from but they are the smallest I've ever seen. Its really no great loss

Instead of seeing this as "continued contempt for its passengers" I see this as "continuing to find ways to control overall costs to keep fares low". While I love lobster I don't cruise for it (I can always make better).

Good point!!! I'm glad. I HATE lobster anyways.

Some passengers behaved poorly when lobster was served in the buffet on our Breakaway cruise (cutting into line then taking all the tails--two plates full, so people they cut off got none, for example) And, as others have said, that lobster isn't all that special. So, maybe on balance, it is best to cut out the lobster tails...If I want lobster, I'd rather pay for a good one in a specialty restaurant than pay more for my cruise so some other people can pig out (or waste it).

I laugh at these "no lobster" threads. I also laugh at the "nickel and diming." I could care less about lobster, and on our past four or five cruises our final bill has been around $200 for an excursion and a few on board purchases.

It IS disappointing to me, but will it stop me from booking with NCL again... Nope.

Totally agree...enjoyed them but it is not a make or break thing. Everytime we sailed we had them first night in MDR. We were the last sailing on Breakaway last year that had them in the MDR.

We remember when there was shrimp cocktail in the MDR, now there is none. Things change.......

Crab legs...I like that idea

Safe sailing

I think the removal of lobster diminishes the sense of "value" that a consumer might feel. Not being from Maine, lobster is not an everyday item and is something of a treat. In restaurants here it is always the most expensive item on the menu and we don't order it that often. Our family is taking our first cruise in < 3 weeks. When deciding as a family where to spend our $ on our one big trip we look for value and everybody getting something they want. One of the "selling points" of a cruise to our 2 tweens boys was the ability to order anything off the menu everyday for the entire week. My youngest is a huge shellfish fan and he is (was:() very excited about the lobster. My oldest was excited about the water slide (that was removed from the Pearl after we booked). Is the lack of lobster or a slide going to ruin our trip? NO, I am sure we will have a wonderful trip. However, the removal of these items reduces the sense of value that I feel.

Well said

Guess we won't see Love My Butler on any more NCL cruises, but you can count me in as one of the ignorant masses, because I'll be cruising in November (my 4th NCL cruise) and have another one booked.

I don't cruise for the lobster.

As far as nickle and diming, I don't see NCL forcing anyone to buy anything. Someone could go on a cruise and not spend a dime (other than their fare, taxes and port charges), as it is their option to spend their money.

Good because I don't want anyone so negative on any of my cruises! And we're going on our 10th NCL cruise in 9.5 weeks.

As for the lobster, we always enjoyed it but it's not going to disappoint me that it isn't being served. While I liked it, the truth is we can get better lobster in a restaurant at home.

Just another in a long, long list of cutbacks by NCL. Between the cutbacks and the continued nickel and diming I don't know how they get people to cruise a second time on NCL. I guess the ignorant masses are easily fooled.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. "Nickel and diming" is a term used by people who a) didn't do their research on the cruise line, b) people who have dust and moths flying out of their wallets and c) forum trolls.

Signed lovingly, Ignorant Mass.

Good. I'm glad those finger-sized overdone lobster tail pieces are gone from the buffet. I looked at the entire experience as signaling the downfall of humanity. It was embarrassing to see people behave with such gluttony and greed.

I've previously shared this picture I took of lobster night in the buffet:

free_government_cheese_zps0ad4ddcd.jpg

Good. I'm glad those finger-sized overdone lobster tail pieces are gone from the buffet. I looked at the entire experience as signaling the downfall of humanity. It was embarrassing to see people behave with such gluttony and greed.

I've previously shared this picture I took of lobster night in the buffet:

free_government_cheese_zps0ad4ddcd.jpg

That can't be a picture of the lobster night in the buffet, it's too orderly and no one is cutting in line.:)

The lobster was laughable on the Breakaway in November. Actually, the lobster looked more like crawfish, it wasn't worth giving up a night of specialty dining to go to the buffet. On the other hand, the lobster upcharge at Le Bistro is wonderful!!

1. it probably was crawfish- African hard frozen crawfish tails...

2. I must tell you I am disappointed in NCL about this. People travel because they look forward to being pampered. One of the pampering was the "lobster" tails. NCL buys these in bulk. They don't cost more than a few bucks per passenger. They will spend millions on "cruise like a Norwegian" but then cut into the experience for many. Yes I know that a lot of people don't care but many do. I for one am going to write the CEO...I suggest those that are disappointed do so too...Kevin Sheehan <ksheehan@ncl.com>;

Good because I don't want anyone so negative on any of my cruises! And we're going on our 10th NCL cruise in 9.5 weeks.

As for the lobster, we always enjoyed it but it's not going to disappoint me that it isn't being served. While I liked it, the truth is we can get better lobster in a restaurant at home.

I have to wait about 15 weeks for my next NCL cruise.

I'm confused. Someone help me out here.

Have lobster tails been removed ENTIRELY from NCL, or just from the free food options such as the buffet and MDR?

Can I still get them at the specialty restaurants?