Lobster Tails Apparently Gone on NCL

MATHA531

I think you are spot on the topic. I'm not sure I agree with the MUCH LESS statement.

If you account for inflation that $799 you paid in 1987 is worth over twice that in today's economy. So that oceanview becomes a balcony with UDP or maybe a UBP' date=' etc... The experience is certainly different, but it is a fraction of the price, and many things are available as an add-on.[/quote']

You might be right :). MUCH LESS may be an exaggeration. However; the three things that were included in 1987 that are no longer included that come to mind off the top of my head are:

1) All soda included at all times.

2) Wine included with all dinners.

3) Gratuities included (and tipping highly discouraged).

The cruise lines caught onto Soda as a huge profit maker pretty quickly. I don't drink soda anymore so that doesn't really impact me.

In addition to wine during all diners, champagne and other cocktails were included at various events (sail-away, captains cocktail party, etc..) A bottle of wine also came with every cabin. I do miss this inclusion :).

My opinion on gratuities is going to be in the minority, but it is my personal experience that service has declined over the last 20 years and drastically so since the advent of auto-tipping. I do not begrudge hard workers earning a better standard of living, but in my opinion (again, my opinion only); I believe that the cruise industry is using auto-tipping to supplement their choice to pay employees ridiculously low wages; thus increasing corporate profit margin. Tips are no longer "To Insure Prompt Service' and my experience is that service has declined as a result (my opinion only).

I've never removed an auto-tip and I still tip extra for excellent service, but I think the real win/win here is for companies to increase wages, thus providing a better standard of living for employees and go back to allowing me to tip for excellent service which will increase service standards across the industry. I do realize that the likelihood of that happening is zip :).

Of course, many other things are no longer 'included' and are an up-sell. In years past, great food could be had in the MDR. Things like Lobster tail were served on both formal nights; but it's not just lobster. In my opinion its overall food quality, thus nudging cruisers to choose to pay for great food.

With the current reports of MDR dinners taking 3 hours on the Breakaway, I'm beginning to wonder if UDP isn't actually necessary to ensure great food; but also reasonable service.

We all get to place our own value on the cruise offerings, as evidence by the differences of opinions about a single item like lobster in this thread. Even with the reduced inclusions, I believe cruising still offers a good value which is why I'm still choosing to sail. For me, while the 'value' of the cruise experience has reduced over time, but it hasn't reduced enough for me to abandon the sea just yet. :)

There is a place in Rhode Island that is an all you can eat buffet. Currently the price is $91.00 per adult. There is a 2 hour time limit. They also have prime rib on the buffet along with tons of other stuff. They even offer dessert. Can't even imagine that.

its called the Nordic lodge. http://www.nordiclodge.com/

You might be right :). MUCH LESS may be an exaggeration. However; the three things that were included in 1987 that are no longer included that come to mind off the top of my head are:

1) All soda included at all times.

2) Wine included with all dinners.

3) Gratuities included (and tipping highly discouraged).

:)

Just curious, but what cruise lines included gratuities and discouraged tipping. I seem to recall that Holland America did many years ago but none of the other cruise lines I experienced or worked with (spent many years in the travel industry) did.

Just curious, but what cruise lines included gratuities and discouraged tipping. I seem to recall that Holland America did many years ago but none of the other cruise lines I experienced or worked with (spent many years in the travel industry) did.

I took my first cruise in 1987 aboard the Regent Sea (Regency Cruise Lines) and they did not allow tipping. In 1998 I sailed Holland America and at that time they heavily discouraged tipping. I sailed on the Regent Star in 1989 and by then Regency Cruise lines stopped discouraging tipping but they didn't encourage it either. In 1990 I sailed on the Regent Sun and at that time Regency cruise lines added 'recommended' tipping standards (x amount per day to cabin steward, x amount per day to waiter, etc...) and gave little envelopes on the last day of the cruise.

I'm not sure the year Holland America stopped discouraging tipping, but they seem to have held onto the 'no tipping policy' the longest. I'm guessing early 90's??

I can not for the life of me remember the year auto-tipping started as a standard in the industry.

Yeesh, I sound so old. I started cruising as a very young girl :)

Edited by BermudaBound2014

Having grown up in New England and eating real Maine lobster and then seeing what's served on board mass market cruise lines I don't understand the hype/upset about lobster.....

Have to agree with you 100 percent... it's not worth crying over... in fact... I'd gladly give mine away for something else...

I took my first cruise in 1987 aboard the Regent Sea (Regency Cruise Lines) and they did not allow tipping. In 1998 I sailed Holland America and at that time they heavily discouraged tipping. I sailed on the Regent Star in 1989 and by then Regency Cruise lines stopped discouraging tipping but they didn't encourage it either. In 1990 I sailed on the Regent Sun and at that time Regency cruise lines added 'recommended' tipping standards (x amount per day to cabin steward, x amount per day to waiter, etc...) and gave little envelopes on the last day of the cruise.

I'm not sure the year Holland America stopped discouraging tipping, but they seem to have held onto the 'no tipping policy' the longest. I'm guessing early 90's??

I can not for the life of me remember the year auto-tipping started as a standard in the industry.

Yeesh, I sound so old. I started cruising as a very young girl :)

Maybe not so old. My first cruise was in 1979 and I wasn't a "very young girl". That was on Home Lines and tipping was the norm, as it was on Princess several years later. It wasn't auto tipping back then though. The envelopes were placed in your stateroom "for your convenience" with suggestions for the amount of the tip for the waiters, room stewards, etc.

I'm sure there were some cruise lines that included tipping in the fare, like Holland America, especially some of the high end lines.

I wouldn't be surprised if auto tipping started because of the Freestyle concept. The old system wouldn't work that well when you didn't have the same wait staff every night.

The review that led me to start this thread stated that the 22 June departure of the Breakaway was the first without the lobster tails; ;you were probably on the 15 June departure I would suppose.

The Breakaway currently is running round trip between its home port in NYC and Bermuda on a 7 day cycle and somehow I doubt there would be a problem stocking up on lobster tails in New York.

Again I think the stupid policy is being phased in as ships deplete their supplies of lobster tails and it does seem this is a fleet wide thing; I would be very surprised if it weren't. Like I could get it that the Star, running Baltic cruises every 9 days round trip from Copenhagen might have difficulties stocking up but not the Breakaway. At least that's what common sense tells me.

We were on the June 15 sailing on the Pearl to Alaska and there were no lobster tails in MDR or buffet, were told that the Seafood mix pie included the lobster. However, none of any descriptive size could be found in it. I hadn't sailed NCL in 13 years and won't again. The food was mediocre at best, the only "good" meal I had was lunch at the Garden Buffet one day that was Swedish meatballs and mashed potatoes. I only have two recent cruises on Carnival Magic to compare it to and there is no comparison, the entire cruise experience (except for the price of alcoholic beverages) goes hand's down to Carnival.

Having grown up in New England and eating real Maine lobster and then seeing what's served on board mass market cruise lines I don't understand the hype/upset about lobster.....

I'm from Maryland and I agree completely. I can't remember the last time I ordered seafood on a cruise. I get it on a weekly basis and sometimes I get sick of it.

What is it they say? Often the cover up is worse than the crime. Even if one thinks it is no big deal, given what the feeling/myth is about lobster on a cruise ship and the fact they make or have made a big deal about "lobster" night in the past, wouldn't it be a decent thing for NCL to admit what has been done and give a reason for it?

Just another in a long, long list of cutbacks by NCL. Between the cutbacks and the continued nickel and diming I don't know how they get people to cruise a second time on NCL. I guess the ignorant masses are easily fooled.

Your comment could not have been said any better. Its so true

What is it they say? Often the cover up is worse than the crime. Even if one thinks it is no big deal, given what the feeling/myth is about lobster on a cruise ship and the fact they make or have made a big deal about "lobster" night in the past, wouldn't it be a decent thing for NCL to admit what has been done and give a reason for it?

The reason is fairly obvious, they don't need to spell it out. It is the price, same reason fillet steak is not free in the main dining room.

The reason is fairly obvious, they don't need to spell it out. It is the price, same reason fillet steak is not free in the main dining room.

I know this is being picky.....but there is nothing "free" on any cruise.:rolleyes:

There is plenty that is INCLUDED - but you can be sure that you have paid for it! ;) :cool:

We are having a late day BBQ Seafood-Lobster-Feast and our supermarket has live, fresh Maine "Selects +" at $8.99 / lb. - and we are going to pig out, just like before. For us living along the coast, eating tiny "lobster" tails are not among the reasons for us to go on a cruise, IMO.

Here, I haven't seen these being served lately on any cruise ships. This was hers and mine was bigger.

Maine-SDC72.jpg

But, I'll happily get my share of smoked salmon at breakfast and enjoy salmon in the MDR - and it is actually more expensive, and, better & healthier eating for its nutrients.

Yawn, if they served soft-shell crabs from the shores of Maryland - you will get my attention. They are in-season this time of the year and spiced it up with those chilly & curry powder secret mixes, yummy !!

Edited by mking8288

According to some folks, in chocolate buffet thread, there were lobster tails in MDR just 3 weeks ago on the Gem. So when did NCL discontinue them?

Edited by NMLady

DH and I, not being from New England, have always looked forward to lobster on our cruises so we will definitely miss it.

But NCL no longer serving it is not contempt for passengers. It is a budgeting measure to keep costs low so we can continue to afford cruises. Lobster for hundreds, now thousands, of passengers is very expensive.

I don't think NCL has contempt for its passengers.

I agree with you, and I really don't care whether they have "free" lobster or not. We did have it on the Getaway in the buffet in February and they were quite large and very good, although I'm sure not like a Maine lobster. It is puzzling how the reports about the size and quality vary so much from cruise to cruise. Perhaps it is harder than we realize to find a consistent supply of good lobster at a reasonable price.

I did read recently that there is apparently a lobster glut in the NE, or there will soon be. Maybe there is a chance that the lobsters will put in another appearance on NCL. At one time, during a similar glut, they had contracted with a Maine supplier to bring them aboard in Boston. But, I would much prefer they would make some other types of seafood available on the menus like Mahi Mahi or swordfish.

As far as "nickel and diming", all cruise lines charge extra for mostly the same things. NCL is no different. Specialty restaurants, drinks, spa etc., are all optional perks and you can cruise an entire week without adding anything extra. I prefer to be able to choose what perks are important to me and make the choice to buy them.

The real definition of nickel and diming is to be charged extra for services or items that you cannot avoid, like a resort charge added to your hotel rate. If NCL charged you a $5 service fee to issue you your room card, that would be nickel and diming as you cannot sail without one.

[ QUOTE=mking8288;43288255]We are having a late day BBQ Seafood-Lobster-Feast and our supermarket has live, fresh Maine "Selects +" at $8.99 / lb. - and we are going to pig out, just like before. For us living along the coast, eating tiny "lobster" tails are not among the reasons for us to go on a cruise, IMO.

Here, I haven't seen these being served lately on any cruise ships. This was hers and mine was bigger.

Maine-SDC72.jpg

But, I'll happily get my share of smoked salmon at breakfast and enjoy salmon in the MDR - and it is actually more expensive, and, better & healthier eating for its nutrients.

Yawn, if they served soft-shell crabs from the shores of Maryland - you will get my attention. They are in-season this time of the year and spiced it up with those chilly & curry powder secret mixes, yummy !!

oh my! Can I come to one of your parties? Yummmmm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to some folks, in chocolate buffet thread, there were lobster tails in MDR just 3 weeks ago on the Gem. So when did NCL discontinue them?

I believe the first report of restaurant managers actually telling passengers it has been discontinued came from the Breakaway June 22 sailing.

We are having a late day BBQ Seafood-Lobster-Feast and our supermarket has live, fresh Maine "Selects +" at $8.99 / lb. - and we are going to pig out, just like before. For us living along the coast, eating tiny "lobster" tails are not among the reasons for us to go on a cruise, IMO.

Maine-SDC72.jpg

The always available salmon is no longer on the new menus. To me that is much worse than the lobster being removed. It was my "go to" choice when I wanted to eat a bit healthier. :(

They replaced it with flounder Milanese which is breaded.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The always available salmon is no longer on the new menus. To me that is much worse than the lobster being removed. It was my "go to" choice when I wanted to eat a bit healthier. :(

They replaced it with flounder Milanese which is breaded.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Oh no...... salmon was my go-to also on the "always available" menu also :(.

Oh no...... salmon was my go-to also on the "always available" menu also :(.

Now that is bad news:mad: My husband's favorite....NCL KEEP YOUR (LITTLE DRY) LOBSTER..BUT BRING BACK THE SALMON....