Pulling Up Anchor in Baltimore

TheDivineMrsM

We'll be cruising out of Baltimore on a Royal Caribbean ship at 4 pm later this summer to head to the Bahamas. We get a charter bus from where we live to the ship, it's all part of the package plan we purchased for this cruise. When the ship is ready to pull up the anchor, so to speak, and sail off, where should we be to enjoy the start of this cruise? Should we be on the top level? I'm not sure how it works, and I've been reading how people love watching the ship sail out of the harbor. Any tips?

Sailaway is a longer process on Grandeur from Baltimore as it takes 8 hours to cruise down the Chesapeake to reach the Atlantic. Plenty of time to get several vantage points and be with different people at different locations on board along the way.

You should join your Roll Call for your sailing date and start talking with other people on your cruise. Perhaps you can make plans with some of them for sailaway.

Here is the link to search for your roll call:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/rollcalls/?cruise_line_id=32&ship_id=74

You definitely do not want to miss passing under the bridges - if I recall, the first one is around 5:30 or 6:00pm. Great photo moment! Passing over the Chesapeake Bridge/Tunnel happens around 11:00pm or so. For our cruise, it was pretty dark so could not see much, but others have said it is cool to watch cars driving along and then suddenly disappear as they go down into tunnel.

Enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Oh wow, 8 hours to reach the Atlantic! How interesting; I would have never known. Now I will have to get a Maryland map and check things out. Thanks for all the info. And I guess the word I was looking for is "Sailaway". That is crazy, one of my most favorite songs ever is "Sail Away" by Enya. Love it!!!!

If you haven't already done so, I really suggest you find and join the "roll Call" group for your specific cruise. http://www.cruisecritic.com/rollcalls/?cruise_line_id=32&ship_id=74

This will let you interact with fellow passenger, many of whom have cruised this itinerary before, and get firsthand information from people you likely meet on the ship. Cruise Critic passenger often organize an informal gathering just before or during the sail away.

Enjoy!

Oh wow, 8 hours to reach the Atlantic! How interesting; I would have never known. Now I will have to get a Maryland map and check things out. Thanks for all the info. And I guess the word I was looking for is "Sailaway". That is crazy, one of my most favorite songs ever is "Sail Away" by Enya. Love it!!!!

There are two bridges early en route that you pass under plus great scenery on either side of the coast line of the Bay. Later at night around 11:30 or so you will reach the Chesapeake Bay Bridge / Tunnel which connects to Norfolk on the right side. This is just before the mouth of the Bay to the Atlantic. The interesting thing with this (and you can see it approaching for a while) is that as you pass over one of the tunnels in the channel the car headlights on either side of the ship appear as though the cars are driving into the water. Very cool effect!

I'll be seeing all that myself in 10 days! :)

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Then this one's for you:

I have to remember the bridges for my December cruise out of Baltimore. I totally forgot about it the last time I was on the Pride out of Baltimore. I have no excuse. I LIVE HERE. I should know about the bay bridge.

But unfortunately, my cruise is in December so it will be dark when We reach the bridges

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app