MSC New Experiences Packages

Kiwiaus

We are booked on cruises where MSC have introduced the new Bella, Fantastica and Aurea packages after we booked. Where does that leave us in relation to the services we receive on the ship?. We have booked B2 balconies. If we go under the Bella package I see we will have to pay for continental breakfast in our cabin yet when we booked this was included in the price. I am sure there are other changes as well.

We are booked on cruises where MSC have introduced the new Bella, Fantastica and Aurea packages after we booked. Where does that leave us in relation to the services we receive on the ship?. We have booked B2 balconies. If we go under the Bella package I see we will have to pay for continental breakfast in our cabin yet when we booked this was included in the price. I am sure there are other changes as well.

You will get what you booked. MSC are well practised in operating many different terms and conditions simultaneously on any given cruise.

Kiwis us, are you sure that your cruise is covered by the new experience pricing policy? In the UK it does not come into effect until winter cruises 2014 onwards. I see you're booked on a late Septemeber cruise. I would have thought that was still on the current system prior to the Bella, Fantastica etc.

Unless of cours MSC are bringing this experience into effect for different countries at different times.

Kiwis us, are you sure that your cruise is covered by the new experience pricing policy? In the UK it does not come into effect until winter cruises 2014 onwards. I see you're booked on a late Septemeber cruise. I would have thought that was still on the current system prior to the Bella, Fantastica etc.

Unless of cours MSC are bringing this experience into effect for different countries at different times.

I had a look today on the Australian website and they have changed the pricing for the cruise based on the new experience packages.

Edited by Kiwiaus

I had a look today on the Australian website and they have changed the pricing for the cruise based on the new experience packages.

That is typical MSC!

Come to think about it, when I was on a suite on the Armonia in Spring, it was an Aurea a in. I had not booked under that scheme. There was a brochure on the desk about what was included in Aurea but I had not been converted to that deal. I chased my cabin steward for my missing slippers and he said you are not on Aurea so you don't get any. I pointed out that as a Black Card member I did regardless of Bin and he went and got me them. So seems Tim is right, they will know what you've booked under and that is what you will get. May have to remind them sometimes onboard though!

That is typical MSC!

Come to think about it, when I was on a suite on the Armonia in Spring, it was an Aurea a in. I had not booked under that scheme. There was a brochure on the desk about what was included in Aurea but I had not been converted to that deal. I chased my cabin steward for my missing slippers and he said you are not on Aurea so you don't get any. I pointed out that as a Black Card member I did regardless of Bin and he went and got me them. So seems Tim is right, they will know what you've booked under and that is what you will get. May have to remind them sometimes onboard though!

I think we will send an e-mail to MSC Australia to confirm a few details and take the reply with us on board :). By the way Amo Mondo and Skipper Tim I appreciate your replies as I have loved reading your posts on this forum and Skipper Tim your live reports from MSC cruises are fantastic. Thank you to both of you.

Edited by Kiwiaus

FAQ from the UK-site .

I booked a Winter Cruise before the adoption of the new ‘Experiences’. Is my booking impacted by it?

The guests that have booked a winter 13/14 or a summer 14 cruise are not affected by the introduction of the ‘Experiences’.

All guests that will be booking a winter 14/15 and onwards, once on sale, will benefit from the new ‘Experiences’

http://www.msccruises.co.uk/uk_en/Multimedia/MSC-Cruises-New-Pricing-FAQ.aspx#msc12

I think we will send an e-mail to MSC Australia to confirm a few details and take the reply with us on board :). By the way Amo Mondo and Skipper Tim I appreciate your replies as I have loved reading your posts on this forum and Skipper Tim your live reports from MSC cruises are fantastic. Thank you to both of you.

Thank you very much!

If ever MSC allow solos to book again, I look forward to writing the next blog.

In the meantime, follow my sailing adventure in August (link in the signature).

It is a wonder that anyone within MSC knows what is going on, only yesterday they were offering a drink package with Cruise only on the Venice to Dubai repo in November today no drink package ... :eek:

Hi Again Kiwiaus! Funny I noticed same thing and emailed them today, then found this thread. We are also booked in B2 and I will also post the response when I receive one.

Suuluu, Hi to you again!....I have e-mailed MSC this afternoon, so we can compare the answers!

Edited by Kiwiaus

So my reply was

"You have booked a category B2 which category has been changed from May 2015 to Fantastica class.

This year, it is still called category B2. There are no difference from category 2 to Fantastica class."

Was free 24hr room service included in B2 - I don't recall this(?) but it seems to be part of Fantastica. I am thinking we won't be getting anything extra that what the B2 would have allowed based on what others have said.

Edited by suuluu

So my reply was

"You have booked a category B2 which category has been changed from May 2015 to Fantastica class.

This year, it is still called category B2. There are no difference from category 2 to Fantastica class."

Was free 24hr room service included in B2 - I don't recall this(?) but it seems to be part of Fantastica. I am thinking we won't be getting anything extra that what the B2 would have allowed based on what others have said.

Interesting as we got a different reply from MSC today.

"As you have booked on the old pricing which does not include the experience options , you can request continental breakfast in your cabin on the prices we have booked you with.The Experience package is only valid for new bookings from now for 2014/2015"

Suuluu, if they are going to treat a B2 booking as part of Fantastica as per your reply from MSC it would be good as it was only continental breakfast room service that was included as being free of charge under the old B2 bookings.

Edited by Kiwiaus

Yes all a bit too good to be true. Since my inquiry was very general I asked for clarification:

"So we are eligible for all the benefits of Fantastica class then? "

And got:

"Those categories have been implemented starting May 2015, not for 2014"

Which isn't really true as if you book our cruise now you use those new categories.

Hi guys ... With regard to Bella and Fantastica as well as cabin categories i have copied this below from cruise deck plans.com which i hope may be of some help.

Type: B2 Balcony

Square footage: Cabin-152 Balcony-40

NOTE: Category I1, O1 and B1 cabins are classified as BELLA cabins. Category I2, O2 and B2 cabins are classified as FANTASTICA cabins. Category B3 is classified as AUREA. MSC assigns perks to the booking based on the classification.

Cruise Fare Structure for MSC

Bella Rate: Basic cruise services.

Fantastic Rate: Includes 24 hour room service, 50% discount on fitness classes, special kids events, free breakfast in cabin, priority choice for dinner sittings.

Aurea Rate: All features of Fantastic Rate plus complimentary spa package, access to Thermal Area, free massage, 20-minute Solarium, welcome cocktail, priority embarkation, bathrobe, slippers, spa products, unlimited complimentary drinks with meals.

Yacht Club Rate (For Suites Only): All features of Aurea Rate plus access to private restaurant and lounge, private pool and sun deck, 24-hour butler and concierge service.

As a first time cruise on MSC I am still confused about what to expect with the change to Experience Packages on my sailings, since I will not be on any of the packages. How do I know what services were included in my original booking?. An example is I received the new MSC brochure today and they state that the evening goodnight turndown service is available on the Fantastica but not the Bella experience. Would this have been included on my original booking as was it a standard service before the experiences were introduced?.

Edited by Kiwiaus

As a first time cruise on MSC I am still confused about what to expect with the change to Experience Packages on my sailings, since I will not be on any of the packages. How do I know what services were included in my original booking?. An example is I received the new MSC brochure today and they state that the evening goodnight turndown service is available on the Fantastica but not the Bella experience. Would this have been included on my original booking as was it a standard service before the experiences were introduced?.

Yes evening turndown service was part of the service provided to all cabins.

I hadn't noticed that we now have to pay extra for the evening turndown service!

Why not go the whole hog and remove included food and entertainment? In fact, why not introduce a deck class, 'pessimo', that does not include accomodation?

If the new experience packages were not also introduced with huge price hikes even for a worse experience than before it would not be so insulting.

Edited by Skipper Tim

Maybe the ships should have dorm rooms with bunk beds and a shared bathroom down the hallway....lol.....all this class level over in Euope...things sure have not changed in peoples's thinking if this works.....I some how do not think it will work as a marketing tool over here in NA as you can not reduce service and raise the price without lots and lots of backlash....

I hadn't noticed that we now have to pay extra for the evening turndown service!

Why not go the whole hog and remove included food and entertainment? In fact, why not introduce a deck class, 'pessimo', that does not include accomodation?

If the new experience packages were not also introduced with huge price hikes even for a worse experience than before it would not be so insulting.

Hi Ken ... MSC are already using two different charges for the Divina in Miami! Room Service is Free for North Americans while everyone else has to pay for it!

The powers that be in Naples and the USA reasoning behind it is that people in Europe already pay for it so will have no issue paying for it in the Caribbean ... :eek: the same goes with the spa Free while in Miami but pay for it in Europe.

Cunard also have class seperation on their ships and have done for years.

I had to laugh at the "pessimo" suggestion:)

...although it may take some time to catch on.

We have been cruising for decades.

I do not remember which cruiseline we were on when the first 'pay' restaurant started.

It was $5. We were told that was because this was 'special' and the $5. was for those waiters tips.

A year or 2 later...$10.....and you can see where that went now & it is on all ships.

I never would have imagined people would pay for specialty restaurants let alone have every cruiseline have them.

Anymore that I would have imagined that people would have to pay for specialty coffees or fresh squeezed orange juice....hmmm...how about ice cream ?

Chocolates on the pillows at night have also disappeared from some cruiselines.

It goes on and on but people will continue to sail because it is still a bargain compared to land vacations.

As I have gotten older, the type of cabin I want has changed. I have moved from port holes to mini suites but on MSC....only the yacht club will do :O)

so, I will always have those perks of the past !