Why does Princess "skip" 13th deck?

Dreamer333

Like I said, I'm not superstitious at all about the number 13. But I definitely wouldn't want "666" on my license plates, lol! I'd be more worried about the reaction from others (vandalism, etc).

Recently I got a new car which has "555" in the plates, and I was relieved it wasn't "666"!

On most lines, there is no deck 13, and no cabins with 13 in the number. The exception is MSC. On Divina, there is a deck 13. EM

But the Divina does not have a deck 17 ;) It is considered unlucky by Italian culture.

I definitely wouldn't want "666"

Nowhere is it explained about 666...Arabic numerals had not yet been invented, so is the superstition for the Roman numerals "DCLXVI"? Or is it from Ancient Greek or Sumerian numerals?

Never mind Deck 13; I've never seen a Lifeboat 13 on Princess.

Coincidence... I'm sure that nothing bad happens to cars that don't have 666 on their plates... :rolleyes: :p

At my moms condo in Florida , down the way from her is unit 666. It is not only one of the coveted "end units" (kind of like the Aft wrap balcony cabins ). It has a beautiful view of the grounds. And it can't be too unlucky because the occupants have lived there for many years and are now well in their 80s and still going strong

Was born in 1913 but had always been told it was 1914.It was only 10 years before her death that we found out about this .Her mother had hidden this fact,and told her never to disclose. It was her passport that gave her away to us.

Loved the OPs question. If anyone remembers the TV show "Batman" some of the bad guys lived on the 13th floor! We have been told that Howard Hughes is still alive an moves from ship to ship to live in his 13th Floor Suite!

Hank

That's total nonsense !!!!!!! Everyone knows Howard Hughes is being kept alive in a hospital in Paris in suspended animation along with Jim Morrison :)

For whatever it is worth, we would never stay in a cabin that has a 4 in the number. I mean never under any circumstances. We recently purchased a new house. During the home search, any address with a 4 was rejected without any further review. Same applies to our phone numbers and just about anything else with a number.

Don't ask why -- instead Google the number 4 + chinese

On our last Princess cruise, we had a cabin on the “Riviera” AKA “14” really deck 13.

The Wife and I plus and older couple were on the Elevator together.

They asked us what floor, I jokingly said deck 13….. The lady looked horrified, I mean really truly petrified. I apologized, said it was just a joke and was sorry if I offended her. I said we are on “Riviera”.

She then looked at the elevator panel, counted the digits, and realized that “13” was not a selection….

She turned three shades of white….. I soon realized Her and Her Husband were also on “Riviera”. She would not exit the elevator when the doors opened.

I guess I ruined her whole cruise… At her age, she should have already experienced the “missing floor” somewhere… I mean really? There is not going to be an empty deck between 12 and 14.

For whatever it is worth, we would never stay in a cabin that has a 4 in the number. I mean never under any circumstances. We recently purchased a new house. During the home search, any address with a 4 was rejected without any further review. Same applies to our phone numbers and just about anything else with a number.

Here in China, you have to pay more for a phone number that doesn't contain any '4's (my phone number has lots of '4's)... LOL.

I spent the first 21 years of my life in a house with five 4s in the address (street address and zip code). The phone number had three 4s in it. :eek:

Guess I'm lucky I survived a plethora of unlucky 4s.

I was a professional mariner in Canada... starting on commercial fishing vessels. Sailors are a superstitious lot and most skippers believed in/practiced/enforced:

- Never write '13' in the log book (it was 12+1).

- Never sail on a Friday (wait until 00:01 to untie on Saturday).

- No women allowed on board (self-evident... LOL).

- Nothing solid black in colour allowed on board (it's the colour of funerals).

- No flowers allowed on board (see above).

- No whistling allowed on board (you'll whistle up a storm).

- All coffee cups had to be hung up facing aft (in the days of open boats, they'd fill with water if facing forward... and you don't want to see anything 'taking on water').