Summit

hampshire

HELLO…. Robert…. Well said and you and Manon looked fabulous! No need to stress about what others wear, just enjoy yourself.. We did have the best CC group, ever!!!!

Thank you Nancy... :o :o :o

If I have to choose between a jacket/tie and a super fun CC group.... I'll go with the second one for sure....

I know you can't compare both but my point is have fun on a cruise.... and if you feel good with jacket and tie, go for it... if not, it's OK...

Enjoy each moment on the cruise... It's so important.... You work hard to pay for your cruise, don't waste it on such thing....

HAVE FUN.........................

My lovely wife takes great pride in her appearance; she always looks beautiful and no one appreciates this more than me. While I gave up bringing the monkey suit about 8 years ago, I still wear a jacket to dinner every night and a suit on formal nights out of respect for her. If she can make the effort to look great for me, I feel that I can at least try to the same for her.

To me, dressing up is part of the enjoyment of formal night and I would hate to see that tradition slip away.

Judging on our most recent cruise to Bermuda on the Summit, I don't think the cruise line is going to enforce the formal night clothing policy. The majority of the people were dressed nicely but not formal..

The Quantum of the Seas has one restaurant that will accommodate approx 400 people dedicated each night to people who want to dress formal. In this case, Im pretty sure the dress code will be enforced because there are so many other nice options for people who feel like a casual vacation. On a ship the size of the Summit, short of forcing people who are not dressed in formal attire to pay to eat at Normandy or Quisine or eat dinner at the buffet is probably not going to happen.

I have seen this change happening for many years, where woman use to wear gowns, they now wear a black dress at best Men wore tuxedos but today people feel there on vacation and want to be comfortable and the additional cost of renting a Tuxedo is just not a priority for them… There were some people dressed in formal attire but a small percentage…I hope Celebrity comes up with an option to make all of their passengers happy..

All of that said, I did dress formal and DH wore a suit and tie to dinner on formal evenings because we enjoyed it.

How do you all feel about limiting formal evenings to one night of the cruise? Do you think more people would be open to that?

It makes me a little sad that cruise lines are doing away with enforcing the dress code on formal nights. We are lucky we can drive to the ports and always take my long dresses and my husband his tux. Dressing for dinner is one of our favorite things on a cruise. It does not ruin our cruise if someone does not dress but I feel if they disregard this policy what other policy do they ignore. Not sure why people feel every rule is meant to be followed by everyone but themselves.

It makes me a little sad that cruise lines are doing away with enforcing the dress code on formal nights. We are lucky we can drive to the ports and always take my long dresses and my husband his tux. Dressing for dinner is one of our favorite things on a cruise. It does not ruin our cruise if someone does not dress but I feel if they disregard this policy what other policy do they ignore. Not sure why people feel every rule is meant to be followed by everyone but themselves.

Im not saying anyone should disregard policies. It doesn't mean that people who abide by the dress code on formal night don't bring their children to adult pools or hog chairs for that matter. It also doesn't mean that the person who doesn't dress formal is hogging chairs or bringing children to the adult pool either. Some people are flying in and its a lot to get into their suitcases and weight is an issue, some don't have formal wear and some just want to relax and be comfortable on vacation. What has happened here is word is out that Celebrity doesn't enforce the policy of dressing in formal attire so its up to Celebrity, to either enforce the rule or not.. I feel perhaps they can make everyone happy, maybe by holding formal dinners for those that want them but that might be a hard thing to figure out with existing ships. My guess is their new builds might have something like I talked about on the Quantum of the Seas… I will say on my recent Summit cruise, it would seem that most people did not dress formal. Maybe we can all just live and let live and not concern ourselves with how others are dressing and enjoy our vacations.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe those 2 people could not afford to buy an appropriate suit to wear. .

Maybe Carnival or Royal Caribbean, not Celebrity.

We got off the Summit three weeks ago and I we would say at least 90% of the men in the MDR wore jackets and ties. A few didn't wear ties with their jackets, but we saw very few who didn't wear jackets. We did notice that most were in suits, not tuxes.

Burt

My guess is their new builds might have something like I talked about on the Quantum of the Seas…

I'm convoked than within 2 years, all Celebrity and Royal ships will have done away with fixed seating MDR experience and go to full select dining, looking at how Quantum is doing this using Quantum as the test to work kinks out.

Sadly once this happens, the idea of formal night is probably out the window too.

By then Celebrity's M class ships will have no upstairs select dining area seating left with the Suite doing room in place, so handling the MDR downstairs will be come troublesome. Also I think with the removal of the bar order takers in the MDR, seems they are trying to ramp staff up to be able to handle all diners as a normal restaurant with varied seating times, and not as banquet style dining serving works.

If the "host" feels so strongly about their dress code, why isn't it enforced? Or is it that their dress code is merely a "suggestion"?

From the May 30th Summit Celebrity Today on Formal Night:

Evening Attire - Formal

In order to maintain the elegance of our ship's ambiance, Celebrity Cruises requests that their guests adhere to the evening dress code in the Cosmopolitan Restaurant. If you are more comfortable in casual attire, you are welcome to dine in Qsine, Deck 11, Oceanview Cafe, Deck 10, Pool Grill, Deck 10, Bistro on 5, Deck 5 or our Specialty Restaurant Normandie, Deck 3. Thank you for your understanding and consideration.

From the May 25th Summit Celebrity Today received at embarkation:

The cover page has a schedule of the itinerary noting which days are Formal versus Smart Casual. They define each as:

+Smart Casual: Ladies: Skirt/pants with sweater/blouse; Gentlemen: Pants with sports shirt/sweater

+Formal: Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown or pant suit; Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or jacket with slacks

It's clearly not a "suggestion" but more like the host is willing to look the other way to those who choose ignore their request and offer of alternate dining locations, most likely from so many people placing the door staff in an awkward situation, who are tipped employees and do not want to see their tips reduced by inappropriately unhappy guests. It's a shame some travelers feel it's acceptable to do this to the staff given how many times the guest is alerted to the policy in advance of the cruise and when embarking and on the day the policy is in effect.

I guess they call it Formal Night without any intentions of any real Formal wear. Becuase "most" men wear whatever they want does that make it acceptable to not follow the dress code outlined by the cruise? Should formal night be done away with? How heavy is this suit jacket that it will set your luggage allowance in a tailspin? I'm confused.

I'd be pissed if I set a dress code and people disregarded it. I'd turn them away.

The Summit Dining Room does not have jackets on hand. I was told by staff at the door that they used to have them but the number of people coming to the dinning room with out one exceeded their supply so they no longer provide them. We were waived right in. My husband had on dockers and a button down shirt. We asked I advance if it would be ok to come like that and we were told yes no problem.

That's why I said you will be presented with three choices. I don't care what people wear, it will not effect my cruise whatsoever but I don't want to see people embarrassed when they get on the ship. Present them with the correct choices and let them make their own decision. For people to say as an absolute just wear a shirt and a tie and you will be fine is just plain doing a disservice to people asking the question.

I guess they call it Formal Night without any intentions of any real Formal wear. Becuase "most" men wear whatever they want does that make it acceptable to not follow the dress code outlined by the cruise? Should formal night be done away with? How heavy is this suit jacket that it will set your luggage allowance in a tailspin? I'm confused.

I'd be pissed if I set a dress code and people disregarded it. I'd turn them away.

You have to remember that the dress code only applies to the MDR, not the rest of the ship.

I'm convoked than within 2 years, all Celebrity and Royal ships will have done away with fixed seating MDR experience and go to full select dining, looking at how Quantum is doing this using Quantum as the test to work kinks out.

Sadly once this happens, the idea of formal night is probably out the window too.

By then Celebrity's M class ships will have no upstairs select dining area seating left with the Suite doing room in place, so handling the MDR downstairs will be come troublesome. Also I think with the removal of the bar order takers in the MDR, seems they are trying to ramp staff up to be able to handle all diners as a normal restaurant with varied seating times, and not as banquet style dining serving works.

I have posted on here for a couple of years that Celebrity will not lose the formal nights as long as they feel they are profiting in the Specialty restaurants from those who do not want to get dressed.

You have to remember that the dress code only applies to the MDR, not the rest of the ship.

That's why I'm confused. The dress code doesn't imply if you don't wear a tux you can't eat. Dress properly and enjoy dinner OR don't dress properly and eat in another venue. Seems simple. Society has a way of complicating the clear rules. Also the lines do a bad job and enforcing said rules. People have an easier time following the dress codes at their place of employment than the crusie ship. :p

I have posted on here for a couple of years that Celebrity will not lose the formal nights as long as they feel they are profiting in the Specialty restaurants from those who do not want to get dressed.

I disagree with this theory. While cruise lines are changing their formal night dress expectations, they have little to do with the profit from specialty restaurants. In fact I once read where one cruise line is considering a specialty restaurant that requires formal attire everynight for passengers who enjoy formal dress on nonformal nights.

The reason cruise lines are getting away from traditional dinning is because select dinning at several smaller eating choices requires A LOT less service staff.

Beary

From the May 30th Summit Celebrity Today on Formal Night:

Evening Attire - Formal

In order to maintain the elegance of our ship's ambiance, Celebrity Cruises requests that their guests adhere to the evening dress code in the Cosmopolitan Restaurant. If you are more comfortable in casual attire, you are welcome to dine in Qsine, Deck 11, Oceanview Cafe, Deck 10, Pool Grill, Deck 10, Bistro on 5, Deck 5 or our Specialty Restaurant Normandie, Deck 3. Thank you for your understanding and consideration.

From the May 25th Summit Celebrity Today received at embarkation:

The cover page has a schedule of the itinerary noting which days are Formal versus Smart Casual. They define each as:

+Smart Casual: Ladies: Skirt/pants with sweater/blouse; Gentlemen: Pants with sports shirt/sweater

+Formal: Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown or pant suit; Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or jacket with slacks

It's clearly not a "suggestion" but more like the host is willing to look the other way to those who choose ignore their request and offer of alternate dining locations, most likely from so many people placing the door staff in an awkward situation, who are tipped employees and do not want to see their tips reduced by inappropriately unhappy guests. It's a shame some travelers feel it's acceptable to do this to the staff given how many times the guest is alerted to the policy in advance of the cruise and when embarking and on the day the policy is in effect.

I think the key word here is "requests" rather than using the word "required". it is also my best guess that if they did turn people away who were not dressed in the proper attire for the MDR on formal night there would not be enough food or room in the alternatives they suggest.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I disagree with this theory. While cruise lines are changing their formal night dress expectations, they have little to do with the profit from specialty restaurants. In fact I once read where one cruise line is considering a specialty restaurant that requires formal attire everynight for passengers who enjoy formal dress on nonformal nights.

The reason cruise lines are getting away from traditional dinning is because select dinning at several smaller eating choices requires A LOT less service staff.

Beary

There will be a formal restaurant on the Quantum off the Seas called The Grand so rather than having formal nights they have a formal restaurant. We booked it for one night on for our April 2015 cruise. For me one formal night is perfect.

I think the key word here is "requests" rather than using the word "required". it is also my best guess that if they did turn people away who were not dressed in the proper attire for the MDR on formal night there would not be enough food or room in the alternatives they suggest.

I suppose one could call out the play of words....but then later they say if you want to dress casual you are welcome elsewhere...

I also think they could easily work out the demand for food in alternate venues, they are professionals after all. Worst case, they move the over prepared MDR dishes to ocean view and serve them in pre-portioned plates, like they are doing already in MDR. Not too difficult for them to move the food by elevator from deck 4/5 to 10/11. or deliver by room service.

Also many here suggest those who aren't; in formal wear ion MDR are 20% or so, most do come appropriate or go elsewhere. It's not TUXEDO and GOWN required, just a jacket for men, not even a tie is "requested".

But since we are playing with words, the definition of request, particularly definition number 5: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/request

Actually definition 1 also would suggest one is not being courteous when they don't follow the request....

re·quest
[ri-kwest] noun

1.the act of asking for something to be given or done, especially as a favor or courtesy; solicitation or petition: At his request, they left.

2.an instance of this: There have been many requests for the product.

3.a written statement of petition: If you need supplies, send in a request.

4.something asked for: to obtain one's request.

5.the state of being asked for;
demand

LOL. Do you actually believe that or did you pick that out of somewhere that the sun don't shine? :D:D:D

This has come up before many times. When they have the ability to refuse you entry into a particular venue as they have in the past it is not a request, at that point it turns into a required action.

Whether Celebrity does that is their choice for whatever reason because they are anything but consistent. Again, I don't care what people wear just don't want them surprised when they get on board.